Search the best hotels in Blenheim
In the heart of the wine-growing Marlborough region, Blenheim is a bustling town surrounded by world-class wineries, rivers and rolling hills. Close to the northern tip of New Zealand’s South Island, it’s also within easy reach of the beautiful Marlborough Sounds and the wild Kaikoura Coast — perfect for sailing and wildlife-spotting excursions. With accommodation options ranging from historic B&Bs to chic lodges with gourmet restaurants, the best places to stay in Blenheim are brilliant for couples, families and groups looking to discover this very special destination.
Blenheim itself is appealingly walkable and fun to explore on two wheels. Highlights including leafy Seymour Square, Riverlands Cob Cottage, the Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre and the Brayshaw Museum Park. Strolls through Pollard Park & Waterlea Gardens are also lovely. You’ll find delectable cafés and eateries in the town centre, as well as shops and galleries.
Beyond Blenheim are some of the world’s top wineries, specialising in producing a distinctive and herbaceous Sauvignon Blanc. Take guided tours and tastings, travelling between vineyards by bicycle, horseback or classic car. Keen adventurers will adore kayaking trips on the Pelorus River, whilst the Wairau River will be a big hit with birdwatchers and anglers. Cruise the Marlborough Sounds to see fur seals, little blue penguins, dolphins, rare Rowi kiwi, tuatara and weka or to sample green-lipped mussels. Cycle or hike part of the 70km Queen Charlotte track for amazing views, before retreating for a relaxing night in one of the best places to stay in Blenheim.
The Best Places to Stay in Blenheim
For a Central Stay
- Chateau Marlborough is a smart hotel in central Blenheim, with a refreshing swimming pool and popular restaurant & bar. Chic, contemporary rooms and suites are great for business travellers or families, and you're well-located for exploring Blenheim and the Marlborough region. Two minutes from Seymour Square.
- Hotel D'Urville is a hip, Art Deco gem in the heart of Blenheim. Book one of 10 attractive rooms, complete with four poster beds and original artwork for a stay with friends or as a couple. The delectable Mollies restaurant and Bamboo Tiger cocktail bar are the hub of the hotel. Great for discovering Blenheim on foot or by bicycle.
For an Intimate B&B
- Marlborough B&B is an intimate hideaway in 7 acres of English gardens. A heritage house dating back to 1877, this lovely spot has a self-catering cottage as well as an appealing guestroom in the main house. Great for couples or small families, nature lovers and birdwatchers. Very restful.
- Antria Boutique Lodge has two suites with generous terraces in a characterful building just moments from Cloudy Bay Vineyard. Enjoy tailored wine tours with your hosts, take kayaking or boat trips, and savour NZ's top wines with gourmet fare at nearby wineries in the evenings. Small and romantic.
For Anglers & Birdwatchers
- Antares Homestay offers an apartment, rooms and a romantic pod in four acres of gardens close to the Wairau River. Brilliant for keen anglers or birdwatchers — who will see rare black-fronted terns and black-billed gulls — eager to stay in a quiet-nature-focused spot. Simple and well-priced.
For Families or Groups
- Vintners Retreat has 12 self-catering villas with multiple bedrooms, private terraces and modern interiors. Shared access to a swimming pool, tennis court and four acres of gardens make this a great family or group choice for an active trip to the wine country.
- The Marlborough Lodge is a wonderfully luxurious hotel on a verdant country estate. Guest suites are elegant and contemporary, with striking views, and the hotel's Harvest Restaurant is a gourmet delight. For romantics or well-heeled wine country explorers.
- The Peppertree is a beautiful Edwardian villa-turned-boutique hotel. Sumptuous rooms have antique furnishings, free-standing baths and fireplaces. The wraparound terrace is a gorgeous spot to savour Marlborough wines after days of exploring. An indulgent rural getaway.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to nearby Blenheim Airport, or to Nelson Airport from Wellington, Christchurch or Auckland and travel to your hotel by bus or taxi. Alternatively, hop aboard the regular ferry from Wellington to Picton and drive down to Blenheim from there.
- New Zealand is famously wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures peaking around 18-22°C between December and April. For a quieter trip and great deals, look at May or October-November, though these months will be cooler and showers more frequent.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay In Picton.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the South Island.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Blenheim
Best Hotels in Blenheim
Chateau Marlborough Blenheim (Corner High and Henry Streets) 45 rooms from £88Business meetings - The 3 boardrooms host up to 50 guests each. With catering facilities and chic accommodation, this is a great meeting venueOther Activities - The hotel supports the Marlborough Falcon Conservation Trust, and can arrange up-close encounters with kārearea falconsWine tasting - Highlight Wine Tours' Classic Car Tour is a very special way to discover Marlborough's vineyardsSights nearby - Blenheim's boutiques & galleries and bustling Seymour Square are 2 minutes' walk awayRecommended by - Fodors
Hotel D'Urville Blenheim 10 rooms from £100Close to nightlife - Bamboo Tiger is abuzz with locals and visitors on Friday night, when the bar hosts live jazz eveningsFoodies - Daily specials crafted from seasonal Marlborough produce at Mollies Restaurant are brilliantBar - Bamboo Tiger is a lively 1930s Asian fusion Jazz & Cocktail loungeHistoric - In Blenheim's historic 1920s Art Deco Public Trust buildingRecommended by - Fodors
1920s Art Deco style boutique hotel in Blenheim with 10 stylish and unique rooms, each with individual themes from classic to retro. Four poster beds, original art works and free wifi. Great restaurant and cocktail bar. An ideal base for exploring the Marlborough wineries. See More
Marlborough B&B Blenheim (Tua Marina) 2 rooms from £120Historic - Woodside is a historic homestead dating back to 1877 - one of the oldest listed properties in the areaHideaway - An intimate hideaway in English style gardens with majestic trees & an abundance of birdlifeWine tasting - Tours with Hop'N'Grape, Explore Marlborough Wine Tours or similar are excellentBirdwatching - Local birdlife - pukeko, tui, ducks, herons, pheasants, fantails, bellbirds, magpies and morepork
Antares Homestay Blenheim (Renwick) 4 rooms from £122Families - Families with adore the two-bedroom Loft apartment with kitchen and private sitting roomRomantic Break - Book the Stars & Vines pod and hide away in the gardens with beautiful viewsBirdwatching - Rare black-fronted tern and black-billed gull can be seen close to the Wairau RiverFishing - Fish for trout and salmon on 140km of fishing grounds on the nearby Wairau River
Antria Boutique Lodge Blenheim (RD2) 2 rooms from £192Wine tasting - Take a private half or full-day vineyard tour with owner Caro - Cloudy Bay Vineyard is moments away, as are 40 other wineriesOther Activities - Take the Mussel Cruise from Havelock out on the Pelorous Sound for great views and delicious musselsHoneymoons - Honeymoon packages include a bottle of bubbly on arrival and gorgeous vineyard dinnersLocal markets - The Marlborough Farmers Market is held on Sundays, between October and April
Charming boutique lodge consisting of two suites with high timber ceilings and quirky, contemporary local art. Friendly hosts offer tailored tours of the area. Within walking distance to restaurants and wineries, including Cloudy Bay. Great for a weekend break in an intimate, characterful setting. See More
Vintners Retreat Blenheim (Marlborough) 12 rooms from £212Wine tasting - Nautilus and Wairau River are the nearest wineries, with tours and tastings just a five minute walk from your villaFamilies - Multi-bedroom villas with kitchens, sitting rooms and private terraces are ideal for families or groupsGreat walks - Walk or cycle alongside the winding Wairau River, where you can also fish and bird watchOther Activities - The pétanque strip and croquet sets are great for games with family and friends
The Peppertree Blenheim 5 rooms from £350Sights nearby - Molesworth High Country Farm Tours focus on early pioneers and farmers, with day-long trips into the rural Marlborough landscapeCountry Escape - A luxurious Edwardian villa set within the beautiful Marlborough wine regionGarden - The Peppertree has its own olive grove, orchards and 328 Chardonnay vinesBirdwatching - Get close to beautiful birds on kayaking trips with Driftwood Eco-ToursRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
A quaint Edwardian villa turned luxury boutique hotel in the picturesque Marlborough wine region. Sumptuous rooms are individually styled and the best have free-standing baths and working fireplaces. The wrap-around terrace is a lovely spot to sample regional wines. A tranquil country escape. See More
The Marlborough Lodge Blenheim 10 rooms from £661Country Escape - Nestled on a beautiful, heritage estate in the Marlborough region, book this hotel for an authentic New Zealand country escapeRomantic Break - With elegant suites, a gourmet restaurant and endless grounds, this hotel makes an exceptional setting for romantic getawayFoodies - Marlborough is famous for its gourmet food and good wine; enjoy both at the hotel's romantic Harvest RestaurantRestrictions on children - Children eight years and older are welcome to stay when the hotel has other guests
This hotel offers accommodation on a luxury country estate in New Zealand's Marlborough wine region. The individually designed guest suites are elegant and contemporary, with views across the parkland from a private balcony. Sample the region's gourmet cuisine at the hotel's Harvest Restaurant. See More