Search the best hotels in Northland
Aptly named Northland is New Zealand’s most northerly region, towards the tip of the North Island. It’s a secluded part of the country, with fabulous weather and beautiful beaches, perfect for active trips with friends or family. Accommodation options range from charming historic B&Bs to luxurious lodges hidden within thousands of acres of lush grounds. Whether you’re looking to hide away in romantic bliss or challenge the kids to kayaking, riding and mountain bike races, our pick of the best places to stay in Northland has it all.
Outdoorsy travellers will be in their element here, with hiking, horse riding and cycling aplenty. Head up to Cape Reinga and Te Kao to take the lighthouse walk to see the Pacific Ocean meet the Tasman Sea, splash around in the waves of Toputaputu Bay, sandboard on the Te Paki dunes, and hike part of the 30-mile Te Paki Coast Track. Ninety Mile Beach is a highlight, as is Spirits Bay, sacred to the Maori. The Waipoua Kauri Forest, Koutu & Wairere Boulders and Kai Iwi Lakes of the little-explored west coast are brilliant for keen birdwatchers and nature enthusiasts.
Out on the water, you can try deep sea fishing, sea kayaking, sailing, surfing and swimming. Pretty Mangonui Harbour is a lovely base for a relaxed waterfront holiday. Many visitors will congregate around the popular Bay of Islands, which is also stunning, but we think the remote tranquillity of the best places to stay in Northland offers its own special appeal.
The Best Places to Stay in Northland
For Great Value
- The Old Oak Hotel promises great value stays in a lovely lakeside location. Set right on Mangonui Harbour, this is a top pick for couples or friends eager to enjoy watersports and hikes, or to amble around pretty Mangonui village. Expect simple, airy interiors and kitchenettes in the suites. Owner-run and friendly.
For Families or Groups
- Wai Hou Oma Lodge sits within seven acres of lakeside gardens and orchards, just moments from Kai Iwi Lakes on the west coast. The four lodges sleep up to six people, and offer their own kitchen and dining facilities. Breakfasts are included and there are myriad watersports in the area. Great for active families or groups of friends.
For a Luxury Lodge
- Helena Bay Lodge is a beautiful coastal retreat offering exclusive, personalised services. Book a luxury villa with spellbinding views, arrive by helicopter, and spend your days fishing, diving, playing tennis, unwinding at the sleek spa or feasting on Chef Michele Martino's fabulous farm-to-table fare. A real treat for foodies or romantic couples.
- The Lodge at Kauri Cliffs has 22 beautiful suites and multi-room residences. With 6000 acres of grounds, including one of the world's top 50 golf courses, tennis courts, a sumptuous spa and three private beaches, this is an idyllic escape for couples or families eager to unwind in elegant luxury surroundings.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Whangarei District Airport or Bay of Islands Airport and journey by car to your hotel. Overseas travellers are likely to arrive at Auckland Airport. Catch a connecting flight or drive 3.5 hours to Northland. Regular buses from Auckland offer a simple and affordable means of transport.
- The North Island is famously wonderful for a road trip. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures peaking at around 23°C between December and April. For a quieter trip and great deals, look at May or October-November, though these months will be cooler and showers more frequent.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in the Bay of Islands.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the North Island.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Northland
Best Hotels in Northland
Old Oak Hotel Northland 6 rooms from £77Local exploring - The Old Oak is a great base for exploring Mangonui and New Zealand's northland regionMuseums - Take a trip to the open air Whaling Museum which charters the history of MangonuiGolf - Doubtless Bay features two golf courses within a 15 minute drive of MangonuiHistoric - Built in 1861, the Old Oak is a registered historic buildingRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
A small boutique hotel offering an excellent lakeside location in Mangonui. Smart rooms are simply dressed with crisp white linen, large windows, contemporary bathrooms and the suites have kitchenettes. The charming hosts are on hand to give local advice. A great base for exploring the region. See More
Wai Hou Oma Lodge Dargaville, Northland 4 rooms from £88Back to Nature - Moments from Kai Iwi Lakes, a 538-hectare reserve brimming with wildlife - ideal for outdoorsy typesFamilies - The two-bedroom Tui Suite is perfect for families, and kids will love the outdoor activitiesSights nearby - Matakohe Museum and Waipoua Forest are particular standoutsGreat walks - 25 minutes to Ripiro Beach, NZs longest beach
Relaxed lodge set in 7 acres of gardens and orchards only minutes from water sport haven Kai Iwi Lakes. Four separate lodges sleeping up to 6 people, with kitchen and dining facilities. Breakfast included, and additional meals prepared with fresh produce such as vegetables grown on site. See More
The Lodge at Kauri Cliffs Northland 22 rooms from £874Families - Multi-bedroom villas are brilliant for fun family trips, and kids will find heaps to do at the resortSpa - Nestled at the edge of a Totara forest, the restful spa offers rejuvenating treatments in a restful natural settingKayaking - Sea kayaking doesn't get much better than in the Bay of Islands, overlooking Northland's cliffs and beachesGreat walks - Kauri Cliffs Guided Heritage Discovery tours are a wonderful way to encounter flora and faunaRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Relais & Chateaux
Country manor turned luxury hotel with spacious suites, walk-in wardrobes, fireplaces and panoramic Pacific Ocean views. With a pampering spa in native Totara forest, tennis courts, infinity pool, private beaches and championship golf course, the lodge is ideal for a romantic getaway. See More
Helena Bay Lodge Hikurangi, Northland 5 rooms from £1854Beach Life - Set on the coast of North Island, with miles of private beach for guest-only use, book this hotel for an exclusive seaside breakRomantic Break - With luxurious private suites, spectacular grounds and a sleek spa, book this hotel for an indulgent romantic getawayActive Holiday - The grounds of this hotel allow for a wide range of activities, from fishing to hiking and divingFishing - Enjoy an afternoon by the water on the hotel's pontoon; the hotel can provide an extensive range of quality fishing equipment
This intimate retreat is set in the northeast corner of New Zealand’s North Island. The hotel's luxury villas, named after native birds, look out onto the pristine coastline from private terraces and offer a cosy living space with a log fire. Complete the experience with a luxury helicopter tour. See More