Search the best hotels in Queenstown
Queenstown is well known for the adventures offered right on its doorstep, on the stunning surrounds of Lake Wakatipu and the peaks of The Remarkables. These make the perfect backdrops to try your hand at bungy jumping, skydiving, jet-boating, skiing or playing golf - at one of the five international standard golf courses. Once you’ve packed as much adrenalin into your day as possible it’s time to enjoy the collection of cosmopolitan bars and restaurants, many of them part-fuelled by the wonderful local vineyards. Queenstown has a reputation for being open all hours, and you’ll often see people returning from their evening out at five or six in the morning. You’ll find the best places to stay in Queenstown scattered around the town, around the lake, and, if you prefer a bit more peace and quiet, just out of town.
If you’re looking to blend your adrenalin pumped days with some relaxation you might want to play some golf, or fish - Lake Wakatipu is well known for its trout , do some walking in amongst the wonderful scenery and maybe take a cruise on the lake. Queenstown also has very beautiful Gardens, set on a little jut of land protruding into the lake.
Queenstown offers horseback treks, scenic flights in both helicopters and light aircraft, a luge track down the mountainside and there’s an Underwater World. And then of course in winter there’s the skiing and the Winter Festival.
What not to miss:
- bungy jumping from Kawarau Bridge,
- jet-boating on the rocky Shooter Canyons,
- or white river rafting on the Kawarau River,
- paragliding from the top of Queenstown’s Skyline Gondola on Bob’s Peak,
- go on a zipline trek and play on the different trails of the Queenstown Bike Path, which run down hill from the top of Bob’s Peak.
The best places to stay in Queenstown are busy year round, due to the range of activities in the region, so don't leave it till the last moment. Get organised and book early!
The Best Places to Stay in Queenstown
For something special
- Azur Lodge is a collection of nine villas, just five minutes drive from Queenstown, but right on the shores of Lake Wakatipu, with views across the lake to The Remarkables beyond. Each villa has floor to ceiling windows and living and dining areas, and the whole place feels tranquil and secluded.
- The Spire Hotel has just ten suites, with wooden shutters, stone clad fireplaces and lots of other luxurious details. There’s also a cocktail bar, a restaurant and access to a gym and a garden. And you’re in the centre of Queenstown, within walking distance of restaurants, cafes, bars and the main sights.
- Eichardts Private Hotel is a small, but very luxurious hotel on the shores of Lake Wakatipu. There are just ten chic, designer rooms and a gym, bar and restaurant serving seasonal local cuisine. The views are wonderful and you’re still close to the highlights of Queenstown.
For great value
- The 34 room Melbourne Lodge offers a choice of rooms, suites and apartments starting from just £72 per night. As well as the clean, modern, functional rooms. Breakfast is included. And you’re right in the centre of things come the ski season.
- Queenstown House overlooks Lake Wakatipu with the Southern Alps in the background and offers a choice of ten luxurious apartments and B&B rooms. There’s local art on the walls above stone fireplaces, and there are peaceful outdoor decks for enjoying the views.
For a rural escape
- Matakauri Lodge has a stunning spot on the shores of Lake Wakatipu, and each of its 16 rooms, villas and suites have private balconies or decks from which to take full advantage of the stunning views. There’s also a heated outdoor infinity pool, a gym and a spa, and you’re just seven minutes drive from Queenstown.
- The Millbrook Resort is around 20 minutes drive from Queenstown, set on its own 500 acres of land, which includes a golf course. There is a range of self-catering cottages and suites decdorated in modern style. Guests can also enjoy the spa, indoor pool and choice of four restaurants.
- Villa Del Lago is a collection of 16 fully serviced suites and apartments with outdoor patios or balconies and gas fires. As well as being right by the lake, you’re also near the Frankton trail.
For boutique chic
- If you prefer your accommodation small and boutique, try The Arrow Private Hotel. A five suite hotel in the historic mining town of Arrowtown, just 20minutes from the ski fields. There’s local art on the walls, panoramic views and a relaxed, alpine feel.
- Evergreen Lodge has just four rooms, but they’re luxurious, with wonderful views of Lake Wakatipu and The Remarkables beyond. There’s a dining area, gym, sauna and laundry room, so while it’s small you’re not skimping on facilities.
- The Queenstown Park Boutique Hotel is a little larger, with 19 rooms. Inside this luxurious hotel you’ll find some wonderful, locally designed furniture and art and a green attitude. You’re also close to town and have great alpine views.
For an apartment or villa
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Fly to Queenstown Airport serviced both across New Zealand and internationally. Alternatively a number of buses run daily from Christchurch, Dunedin, Invercargill, Te Anau, Wanaka and the West Coast.
- The best time to visit Queenstown for warm weather is the summer (December through February), when the long, sunny days make outdoor excursions enjoyable. Also visit Mid-June to early October for the winter sports.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Queenstown
Melbourne Lodge Queenstown 34 rooms from £77
A range of rooms, suites and apartments to suit varying budgets in the centre of Queenstown. Clean, modern, friendly and functional, with free breakfast. A superb base for a winter stay with a choice of ski areas, not forgetting the winter festival, pure mountain mayhem! Ideal for larger groups. See More
Queenstown House Queenstown 10 rooms from £119Views - Overlooking Lake Wakatipu and to Southern AlpsGreat walks - In Fiordland national parks
Luxury apartments and B&B overlooking Lake Wakatipu to the distant Southern Alps. With stone clad fireplaces, local NZ art on wall, comfy double beds and private outdoor decks. An ideal base for exploring region, including skiing in Coronet Peak or The Remarkables (June to October) and hotsprings. See More
Millbrook Resort Queenstown 170 rooms from £133Sights nearby - 20 minute drive from QueenstownOutstanding location - Set on 500 acre golf resortSecluded setting - For escaping.Views - Great views from hotel
A range of self catering cottages and suites situated on the 500 acre Millbrook Resort with a 27 hole golf course. Decor is contemporary, modern and slick. Cottages come with private verandas and dining areas. Also has a spa, indoor swimming pool and choice of four restaurants. See More
The Arrow Private Hotel Queenstown (Arrowtown) 5 rooms from £145Views - AlpineGreat walks - Good for walkers.Back to Nature
Set in the historic gold mining town of Arrowtown, this boutique hotel offers five luxury suites designed to be in harmony with the alpine surroundings. With local NZ art, king-sized beds and panoramic views. Twenty minutes from Coronet ski field, with ski storage facilities. A peaceful place. See More
Queenstown Park Boutique Hotel Queenstown 19 rooms from £155Views - To alpine GondolaGreat walks - Good for walkers.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.
Villa Del Lago Queenstown 16 rooms from £175Views - Lake and mountain viewsLocal markets - Good for local colour.Great walks - Good for walkers.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.
Central Ridge Boutique Hotel Queenstown 14 rooms from £148Active Holiday - Find a wide array of outdoor activities on offer in the surrounding countrysideGreat walks - Find miles of hiking trails starting from nearby the propertyRomantic - Good for couples.Traditional
A small boutique hotel in the heart of Queenstown offering easy access to both cosmopolitan restaurants as well as the beautiful surrounding countryside. Light and spacious rooms have a homely feel while the cosy downstairs lounge features an open fire. A charming base to explore the region from. See More
Hotel St Moritz Queenstown 134 rooms from £178Romantic Break - With stylish suites, a romantic restaurant and hot tub garden, book this hotel for a chic couples' city breakLocal exploring - This hotel makes a superb base from which to explore the broader region of New Zealand’s South IslandCity Style - Set in the heart of Queenstown in a chic, Alpine-style property, this hotel has lots of city charmGreat walks - Queenstown is riddled with walking paths and hiking trails; enquire at the hotel for guidance on the best routesRecommended by - Tablet
This luxury bolt-hole overlooks Lake Wakatipu in Queenstown. The hotel's alpine exterior gives way to cosy guestrooms with contrasting textures, where leather headboards juxtapose with relief wallpaper and sink-in throws. Enjoy bespoke cocktails at the hotel's Lombardi Bar. See More
Stoneridge Estate Queenstown 9 rooms from £260Country Escape - Set on a beautiful vineyard and surrounded by mountains this is an idyllic rural retreatViews - Stunning views over Lake Hayes to the mountains beyond.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels
A small boutique hotel set on a picturesque vineyard with spectacular mountain views. Pick from a contemporary or a traditional suite. Dine in the restaurant which serves innovative dishes using local produce. With an abundance of adventure activities on offer, this is ideal for outdoor enthusiasts. See More
Evergreen Lodge Queenstown 4 rooms from £289Views - Across lake to The RemarkablesFishing - Excellent fishing nearby.5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Secluded setting - For escaping.
Sofitel Queenstown Queenstown 82 rooms from £232Local exploring - Set in the heart of Queenstown, this hotel makes a great base for exploring in and around New Zealand's South IslandSpa breaks - Boasting a full-service spa with exclusive product ranges, book this hotel for your next city spa breakCity Style - With luxury interiors and a central location, book this hotel for chic city charmSights nearby - Visit Milford Sound, a fjord known for towering Mitre Peak, plus rainforests and waterfalls like Stirling and Bowen fallsRecommended by - Tablet
QT Queenstown Queenstown 69 rooms from £232Kayaking - Kayak through the Milford Sounds with local guides from Rosco’s Milford Kayaks, who lead groups tours for all ability levelsViews - Some rooms have a Juliet balcony and sweeping views of the mountain rangeSwimming Pool - There’s a heated outdoor plunge pool for quick dipsQuirky - Has a quirky, pop-art flairRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Luxurious hotel conveniently located in beautiful Queenstown. Rooms offer stunning views over the lake or mountains. Feast on delicious international-fusion cuisine and sip cocktails at the chic bar. Features a neat heated plunge pool and sauna. A spoiling base to explore this beautiful region. See More
Matakauri Lodge Queenstown (569 Glenorchy Road) 16 rooms from £354Swimming Pool - Heated outdoor infinity poolViews - Across lake to mountainsOpulentSpaRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Luxury lodge with wow factor in stunning location just seven minutes drive from Queenstown on Lake Wakatipu. Range of villas and suites available, all with private balconies and decks with views to distant mountains. Heated outdoor infinity pool, gym and spa. Blissful country escape. See More
The Spire Hotel Queenstown 10 rooms from £382Views - Lake and mountainLocal markets - Good for local colour.Great walks - Good for walkers.Hideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Gibbston Valley Lodge & Spa Queenstown 24 rooms from £385Active Holiday - The beautiful surrounding countryside offers ample opportunities to partake in outdoor pursuitsSpa breaks - Indulge in luxurious 'vinotherapy' spa treatmentsSpa - The spa offers not only treatment rooms, but also a sauna and hot pools.Restrictions on children - Adult onlyRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
A small luxury hotel boasting an enviable setting within a Pinot Noir vineyard in Queenstown. Stylish villas offer private sundecks with spectacular views, indulgent bathrooms and open-plan living spaces. With both a spa and private dining on offer, nothing has been missed here. See More
Eichardts Private Hotel Queenstown 10 rooms from £606Designer - Details curated by New Zealand decorator Virginia FisherViews - Across lakeBack to NatureSailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Spectacular views from this luxury hotel on the shores of Lake Wakatipu. Chic designer decor bringing warmth and style with open fireplaces and comfy beds. Ski storage, a gym, bar and restaurant serving local seasonal cuisine. Ideal for browsing in the designer boutiques and taking in the city. See More
Azur Lodge Queenstown from £614Views - Across Lake WakatipuBack to NatureHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Hulbert House Queenstown 6 rooms from £590Romantic Break - With luxurious bedding, stylish interiors and a great location, book this hotel for your next romantic city breakLocal exploring - Siutated just 500m from the centre of Queenstown, book this hotel as a base for your local exploringCity Style - Set in one of the original residences of Queenstown, this hotel has reams of original city styleSights nearby - Ride in the Skyline Gondola, cable cars which will carry you over the city to the sleek Skyline complex, with panoramic viewsRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels