Search the best hotels in Queenstown
A hotspot for thrill-seekers and adventurers, Queenstown is one of the South Island’s most popular destinations. Set around scenic Lake Wakatipu, the town overlooks the Remarkables — home to superb ski slopes — and is within easy reach of the Fjordland National Park’s many marvellous attractions. If you’re in Queenstown for the buzzy café and nightlife scene or a busy family holiday, look to stay in a cosy B&B, contemporary apartment or luxurious, centrally located hotel. For a romantic and restful escape, our list of the best places to stay in Queenstown promises tranquil lakeside lodges and wine country retreats, too!
Close to the shores of Lake Wakatipu, downtown Queenstown is a hive of activity, with shops, eateries and bars aplenty, as well as artists’ studios and frequent musical or foodie events. Out on the lake, try fishing, sailing and kayaking or take a sunset trip on a modern yacht or heritage steamboat. Cyclists and hikers will find hundreds of kilometres of trails criss-crossing the mountain foothills, whilst keen riders can canter through landscapes immortalised in the Lord of the Rings saga, much of which was filmed in the area. Adrenaline junkies can take things up a notch with a sky dive, bungee jump or helicopter ride.
During the winter months, the Coronet Peak and Remarkables Ski Areas are brilliant for skiers and snowboarders of all abilities, and many hotels have crackling fireplaces, sumptuous spas and saunas for après-ski unwinding. This is a particularly popular time to visit — as is the autumn harvest season at Otago’s world-class vineyards, and the annual NZ Open, when golfers congregate in Queenstown. Book your trip well in advance, as the best places to stay in Queenstown are likely to fill up fast!
The Best Places to Stay in Queenstown
For a Boutique Bolthole
- Eichardt's Private Hotel is a chic boutique hotel housed in a heritage property. Highlights include the beautiful lake-facing deck with hot tub, the Vault Spa — housed in a historic gold vault — and sumptuous rooms and suites with roaring fireplaces and big cosy beds. Very romantic and central.
- The Central Private Hotel has just 14 lavish suites, decorated in jewel-like pink, blue and green tones. The trendy Central Bar is a buzzy hub, with craft cocktails, evening canapés, an espresso station and an old-school selection of sweets. For cool couples or friends.
- The Spire Hotel offers 10 smart and spacious suites clad in black and white with pops of red. For sophisticated travellers in search of a lively evening scene, the hotel has a well-stocked bar and an atmospheric restaurant specialising in gourmet fare. Within walking distance of other nightlife spots, this is a grown-up boutique choice.
- Hulbert House is idea for history buffs eager to experience life in an elegant Victorian mansion. Guest rooms offer views of Lake Wakatipu or Skyline Hill, breakfasts are generous, and your hosts will point you in the right direction for golf, kayaking and more. A charming luxury B&B.
- Queenstown Park Boutique Hotel is an ultra-modern property with crisp, clean interiors and views of Queenstown from a hillside setting. Events for up to 40 guests can be arranged, along with gourmet catering. A chic, 19-room spot for business or pleasure.
For City Style
- St Moritz Hotel has 134 rooms with cosy throws, studded leather headboards and bold wallpapers. Shared spaces have a classic alpine feel, inviting guests to unwind after days of skiing, cycling or hiking. Enjoy bespoke cocktails at the hotel's Lombardi Bar. Very smart.
- Sofitel Queenstown is an opulent city hotel with 82 rooms and suites featuring velvet accents and big marble bathrooms. Sample tapas at the hotel's stylish 1789 Wine & Jazz Lounge after a rejuvenating spa treatment. A luxurious choice.
- The Rees Hotel offers 155 spacious, contemporary rooms with floor-to-ceiling windows and indulgent bathrooms. Grand lake-facing views, fine dining and restorative wellness therapies further add to the appeal. A smart city hotel for couples, friends or families.
- QT Queenstown has a playful feel, with bright, bold interiors, welcoming shared spaces and beautiful views. Kick back in the sauna and plunge pool, sample international fusion cuisine with friends and family or taste cocktails at the hip bar. A brilliant city choice.
For a Romantic Escape
- Azur Lodge is made up of nine villa-suites, with striking views across Lake Wakatipu to The Remarkables beyond. Tranquil and secluded, villas have floor-to-ceiling windows and appealing living and dining areas. Foodies will love the big breakfasts, scrumptious afternoon teas and canapés eaten around the fire. For honeymooners or quiet couples.
- Matakauri Lodge promises a luxurious stay on the shores of Lake Wakatipu. The 16 rooms, suites and villas have private balconies or decks, there's a heated infinity pool, a gym and a rejuvenating spa. A delightful hideaway.
- Stoneridge Estate is a nine-room boutique hotel set amongst vineyards. Choose a traditional or more contemporary suite, and don't miss the chef's 5-course degustation menus paired with local wines. The Queenstown Wine Trail is fabulous, as is the 7km loop around Lake Hayes for morning jogs or cycles. Very romantic.
- Gibbston Valley Lodge & Spa is one for wine lovers. Stylish villas sit within a Pinot noir vineyard, and offer spectacular views, indulgent bathrooms and open-plan living spaces. With a superb spa, delectable private dining experiences and a fantastic cellar door onsite, this is a real romantic gem.
For Families or Groups
- Villa Del Lago promises 16 fully serviced suites and apartments, all with kitchens, dining rooms and living rooms, as well as outdoor patios or balconies with private gas fires. Family-friendly, ideal for fishing and close to the Frankton trail. Also fun for longer winter or summer holidays as a group or family.
- Queenstown House offers a collection of well-priced modern apartments facing Lake Wakatipu. With self-catering facilities and multiple bedrooms, these are great for more affordable family or group trips.
- Hidden Lodge is a smart B&B with just four inviting suites, an outdoor wood-fired hot tub, terrace and superb views. Book the whole place for a fun group trip, feast on big breakfasts and explore Queenstown with the owners' recommendations. Can feel very private.
For Great Value
- Melbourne Lodge offers 34 rooms, suites and apartments priced to suit a range of budgets. They’re all simply styled and have big windows and fantastic views. Breakfasts are available, but guests can also self-cater. An affordable choice in central Queenstown.
- Sherwood is a simple, eco-friendly choice outside Queenstown. Expect excellent organic food, spacious rooms with spectacular views, and very attractive rates. Ideal for relaxing after days on the slopes, the property has a table tennis table, bike storage, a communal firepit and some bunk rooms.
- Queenstown Country Lodge has five comfortable contemporary rooms, a hot tub and lovely views. Breakfasts are served on the terrace, the vibe is intimate and relaxed, and prices are very reasonable given the chic interiors and wonderful team.
- The Canyons is a small rustic B&B overlooking Shotover Canyon. Pick this place for a quiet escape as a couple, or book the whole house — which sleeps up to eight — for a family or group trip. Affordable, laid-back and inviting as a base for nature enthusiasts.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Queenstown Airport, just 15 minutes from town. Alternatively, there are regular buses to Queenstown from Christchurch, Dunedin, Invercargill, Te Anau, Wanaka and the West Coast.
- New Zealand is famously wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the winter months (May to August) for skiing and snowboarding in 4 ski areas, or come in the summer for golf, cycling, horse riding, rafting and more. You'll find that food festivals and wine tastings are best in the autumn — also a beautiful season, with golden leaves and crisp evenings for cosying up by the fire.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay In Te Anau.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the South Island.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Queenstown
Best Hotels in Queenstown
Sherwood Queenstown (Aotearoa) 78 rooms from £70Families - Large family suites available, with a range of dining, babysitting and activity options available to keep the whole family busyActive Holiday - With ski equipment to hire and repair on-site, and access to local outdoor activities, this hotel is perfect for active guestsBack to Nature - With an eco-conscious vibe promoting harmony with the natural world, Sherwood supports guests in reconnecting with the natureFoodies - Enjoy organic, on-site or locally sourced and produced food prepared in a hearty and rustic style
Attractive lodgings just outside Queenstown with an eco-conscious vibe. This bohemian retreat is perfect for guests hitting the slopes on the Remarkables mountain range. With excellent organic food, spacious rooms with spectacular views, and very attractive rates - this is an alluring stay. See More
Melbourne Lodge Queenstown 34 rooms from £77Rafting - Less than 1 km from the Dart River Safari, the lodge is perfect for active explorers eager to experience the riverSkiing - Coronet Peak Ski Resort is a 20-minute drive and The Remarkables Ski Area 35 minutes awayFamilies - Multi-bedroom apartments with kitchens and private terraces are brilliant for familiesValue chic - Book a room with a shared bathroom for a great value Queenstown stay
A range of rooms, suites and apartments to suit varying budgets in the centre of Queenstown. Clean, modern, friendly and functional, with free breakfast. A superb base for a winter stay with a choice of ski areas, not forgetting the winter festival, pure mountain mayhem! Ideal for larger groups. See More
Queenstown Country Lodge Queenstown 5 rooms from £98Country Escape - Whether your idea of a rural break is pure adventure or just lounging with a good book in a hot tub, this lodge has you coveredGolf - Play a round on one of the six golf courses within 45 minutes' drive, or watch the ISPS Handa New Zealand Open each MarchActive Holiday - Head to one of the nearby ski resorts for the day or use one of the hotel's bicycles for an adventurous day outCycling - Hop on one of the hotel's bikes and explore more than 130km of surrounding trails
A secluded lodge set in spectacular countryside outside of Queenstown. Boutique interiors have a chic contemporary feel and all the rooms offer mountain views. Breakfasts are served on the terrace and there's a hot tub to soak in after a day's adventuring. An indulgent and well located rural escape. See More
The Rees Hotel Queenstown 155 rooms from £110City Style - While on the outskirts, the hotel is excellently linked to the city and is certainly one of its most stylish establishmentsTotal relaxation - Primed for relaxation with excellent service, the highest quality fixtures and fittings and luxury complementariesFamilies - Family rooms and services are available to ensure a relaxing stay for the whole familyBirdwatching - The lake front reserve is committed to a programe intended to promote the attraction and flourishing of local birds at the site
The Rees Hotel offers comprehensive luxury. Smart rooms are spacious and contemporary in design with floor to ceiling windows and indulgent bathrooms. With a range of wellness therapies, grand lakeside views and fine dining (complete with a choice selection of wines), this is a chic stay. See More
The Canyons Queenstown 3 rooms from £115Back to Nature - Set amidst majestic mountains and overlooking Shotover Canyon; this is an impressive spot for a nature escapeFamilies - Rent the lodge out in its entirety (it sleeps up to eight) for an idyllic family breakSights nearby - Set just 4km outside of Queensland which is filled with museums, restaurants and exhibitionsViews - Breathtaking views over the Shotover River Canyons
A charming small lodge boasting a spectacular canyon side setting within striking distance of Queenstown. Interiors are perfectly rustic chic with beamed ceilings, roll-top baths and picture frame windows. The hosts are charming and breakfasts wonderfully indulgent. An idyllic and convenient escape. See More
Queenstown House Queenstown 10 rooms from £119Groups - Multi-bedroom apartments are perfect for group trips, with kitchens & terraces promising beautiful views for sundowners togetherOther Activities - Try bungy jumping from the Nevis Bridge or take an amazing helicopter tourSkiing - Ski or snowboard at Coronet Peak or The Remarkables (June to October)Views - Overlooking Lake Wakatipu and to Southern Alps
Luxury apartments and B&B overlooking Lake Wakatipu to the distant Southern Alps. With stone clad fireplaces, local NZ art on wall, comfy double beds and private outdoor decks. An ideal base for exploring region, including skiing in Coronet Peak or The Remarkables (June to October) and hotsprings. See More
Hotel St Moritz Queenstown 134 rooms from £123Romantic Break - With stylish suites, a romantic restaurant and hot tub garden, book this hotel for a chic couples' city breakLocal exploring - This hotel makes a superb base from which to explore the broader region of New Zealand’s South IslandCity Style - Set in the heart of Queenstown in a chic, Alpine-style property, this hotel has lots of city charmGreat walks - Queenstown is riddled with walking paths and hiking trails; enquire at the hotel for guidance on the best routesRecommended by - Tablet
This luxury bolt-hole overlooks Lake Wakatipu in Queenstown. The hotel's alpine exterior gives way to cosy guestrooms with contrasting textures, where leather headboards juxtapose with relief wallpaper and sink-in throws. Enjoy bespoke cocktails at the hotel's Lombardi Bar. See More
QT Queenstown Queenstown 69 rooms from £124Kayaking - Kayak through the Milford Sounds with local guides from Rosco’s Milford Kayaks, who lead groups tours for all ability levelsOther Activities - Queenstown is home to a huge choice of adrenaline activities such as bungee jumping, white water rafting and skydivingActive Holiday - In summer enjoy beautiful walks, kayaking trips and lake exploration. In winter, hit the slopes and snowy peaksViews - Some rooms have a Juliet balcony and sweeping views of the mountain rangeRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Luxurious hotel conveniently located in beautiful Queenstown. Rooms offer stunning views over the lake or mountains. Feast on delicious international-fusion cuisine and sip cocktails at the chic bar. Features a neat heated plunge pool and sauna. A spoiling base to explore this beautiful region. See More
Sofitel Queenstown Queenstown 82 rooms from £152Local exploring - Set in the heart of Queenstown, this hotel makes a great base for exploring in and around New Zealand's South IslandSpa breaks - Boasting a full-service spa with exclusive product ranges, book this hotel for your next city spa breakCity Style - With luxury interiors and a central location, book this hotel for chic city charmSights nearby - Visit Milford Sound, a fjord known for towering Mitre Peak, plus rainforests and waterfalls like Stirling and Bowen fallsRecommended by - Tablet
Kinross Vineyard Cottages Queenstown (R.D 1) 14 rooms from £155Foodies - Food & wine lovers will adore the bistro's culinary creations, and Kinross' role as the offical Cellar Door for local wineriesWine tasting - Complimentary wine tastings at 5pm, sampling wines by Kinross' partners: Coal Pit, Hawkshead, Kinross, Valli & Wild IrishmanCountry Escape - Hide away in the countryside, surrounded by wineries and epic mountain views, just 25 minutes from QueenstownSkiing - The 3 ski fields of Cardrona, Coronet Peak & the Remarkables are 45 minutes away
Set on 40 lush acres, Kinross Cottages offers 14 spacious studios with floor-to-ceiling windows and modern interiors overlooking the vineyards. Feast at the bistro, enjoy free wine tastings — Kinross is the Cellar Door for 5 boutique wineries — and hike or bike. For couples, friends & families. See More
Queenstown Park Boutique Hotel Queenstown 19 rooms from £155Business meetings - A swish business-friendly hotel with meeting spaces and the capacity to host memorable functions with excellent cateringRiding - Ride around spectacular lakes, in the foothills of the mountains or at the filming locations from The Lord of the RingsSkiing - Two minutes from the Skyline Gondola, and 10 minutes from Coronet Peak Ski Field, this is a great winter holiday choiceCycling - Follow cycling trails around Queenstown and beyond - speak to the team to arrange bike hire
The Central Private Hotel Queenstown 14 rooms from £175Skiing - Make the most of the hotel's ski storage & sauna after a day on the slopes of the majestic Remarkables mountainsCity Style - A swish city hotel with indulgent, art-filled rooms and suites, as well as a hip barSights nearby - Lord of the Rings fans can seek out filming locations for Isengard and Lothlorien around Glenorchy, north of the cityDesigner - Wanaka-based interiors agency Undercurrent have led bold, exciting design choicesRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A hip boutique pad in central Queenstown with designer interiors and expressive art-filled rooms clad in jewel-like blues, greens & pinks. Sip happy hour cocktails by the fire at the trendy Central Bar, enjoy breakfasts in the courtyard and cosy up in lavish suites. For cool couples or friends. See More
Villa Del Lago Queenstown 16 rooms from £175Watersports - The hotel has its own jetty onto the lake, perfect for watersports enthusiastsGreat walks - Stroll 20-25 minute along the delightful Queenstown Trail into townFamilies - 1-, 2- and 3-bedroom lakeside apartments for families or groupsLakeside - On shores of Lake Wakatipu with views to the Remarkables Mountains
Fully serviced modern suites and 1-, 2- or 3-bedroom lakeside apartments with kitchen, laundry, dining and sitting areas. Features include gas flame fires, outdoor patios, balconies and free unlimited wifi. Family friendly and close to both Queenstown and the Frankton Track for walkers & cyclists. See More
The Dairy Private Hotel Queenstown 12 rooms from £230Close to nightlife - Discover Queenstown's 150+ bars, restaurants & cafés — including Tanoshi, Rata and The Lodge Bar — just a short walk away.Historic - The town's original corner store, the building was built in the 1920s, and now fuses historic charm with modern coolRomantic Break - Couples will love stargazing in the hot tub or kicking back in indulgent suitesCity Style - A hip urban pad with quirky interiors and a great happy hourRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Originally Queenstown's convenience store, The Dairy has been a local landmark since the 1920s. Now, the red-painted exterior hides 12 joyful rooms & suites, with quirky wallpapers & mountain views. Highlights include a hot tub, yummy breakfasts & sociable happy hour. For hip couples or friends. See More
Hulbert House Queenstown 6 rooms from £256Romantic Break - With luxurious bedding, stylish interiors and a great location, book this hotel for your next romantic city breakLocal exploring - Siutated just 500m from the centre of Queenstown, book this hotel as a base for your local exploringCity Style - Set in one of the original residences of Queenstown, this hotel has reams of original city styleSights nearby - Ride in the Skyline Gondola, cable cars which will carry you over the city to the sleek Skyline complex, with panoramic viewsRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Stoneridge Estate Queenstown 9 rooms from £260Country Escape - Set on a beautiful vineyard & surrounded by mountains, this is an idyllic rural retreatWine tasting - Follow the Queenstown Wine Trail, beginning at Stoneridge's own Cellar DoorViews - Stunning views over Lake Hayes to the mountains beyond.Weddings - A sublime spot for an intimate wedding or elopementRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
A small boutique hotel set on a picturesque vineyard with spectacular mountain views. Choose a contemporary or traditional suite, feast on local produce with the 5-course degustation menu, and relax in the hot tub. Ideal for intimate weddings, adventurous holidays & wine tasting holidays. See More
Hidden Lodge, Queenstown Queenstown 4 rooms from £260Total relaxation - A soothing spot 5 minutes' drive from Queenstown, complete with a wood-fired hot tub, sauna and lovely lakeside gardensOther Activities - Take an amazing helicopter trip with Southern Glacier Lakes Heli, or try bungee jumpingWine tasting - Take a guided tour through Central Otago's top wineries with Appellation Wine ToursGroups - Book the whole house for a great group holiday to adventure-filled Queenstown
A luxurious B&B with wonderful unobstructed views over Lake Wakatipu from four suites, terraces and the hot tub. With a gym, sauna, laundry room and outdoor dining area, this is a lovely spot to relax. A stroll from the bustle of town, well-placed for cycling, hiking and lakeside explorations. See More
Matakauri Lodge Queenstown (569 Glenorchy Road) 16 rooms from £354Wine tasting - Private tastings at Mondillo Vineyard & Valli Wines, with lunch at Mt Difficulty or Carrick wineriesare exceptionalHoneymoons - Enjoy an intimate wedding or kickstart your honeymoon in a deluxe suite with dreamy lake views & gourmet fareGolf - Arrive by helicopter for the unique part 3 golf experience atop Cecil Peak - expect amazing views!Groups - Book the Owner's Cottage - with space for 8 guests - for an unforgettable family or group tripRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Luxury lodge with wow factor in stunning location just seven minutes drive from Queenstown on Lake Wakatipu. Range of villas and suites available, all with private balconies and decks with views to distant mountains. Heated outdoor infinity pool, gym and spa. Blissful country escape. See More
The Spire Hotel Queenstown 10 rooms from £382Other Activities - Take a private art tour to discover works within the hotel & artists' studios, exhibitions and galleries in the Queenstown areaCity Style - A stylish city pad for well-heeled visitors, with black, red and white interiors and a terrific restaurant-barClose to nightlife - A buzzy spot in central Queenstown, perfect for sophisticated travellers looking for an evening outTrekking - Follow an array of trails in the Remarkables mountain range or on the shores of Lake WakatipuRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A sophisticated, art-filled city hotel offering 10 luxurious modern suites with stone-clad fireplaces, wooden shutters & fresh flowers. Highlights include a cocktail bar, restaurant, access to a gym and garden. In centre of Queenstown within walking distance of restaurants, cafes and sights. See More
Gibbston Valley Lodge & Spa Queenstown 24 rooms from £410Foodies - Renowned chef Anthony Gradiska has created a sumptuous fine dining experience accompanied by the best local wines.Other Activities - Enjoy a picnic for two with a bottle of regional wine especially prepared by the hotel's chefWine tasting - Tour the Gibbston Valley's own vineyard, chat to winemakers & taste wines in the cellarSpa breaks - Winner of New Zealand's Best Resort Spa 2020 & 2021 at the World Spa AwardsRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
A small luxury hotel boasting an enviable setting within a Pinot Noir vineyard in Queenstown. Stylish villas offer private sundecks with spectacular views, indulgent bathrooms and open-plan living spaces. With both a spa and private dining on offer, nothing has been missed here. See More
Eichardts Private Hotel Queenstown 10 rooms from £606Spa breaks - With the world-class Vault Spa housed in a gold vault from 1887, this is a superb space for indulgent wellness treatmentsGolf - Three of NZ's most prestigious golf courses are within a 20 minute drive, including The Hills Golf CourseHotel boats for hire - Enjoy a day trip or sunset lake cruise on Eichardt’s 80ft super-yacht, Pacific JemmRomantic Break - Sumputous suites, a hot tub & gourmet fare make this a sophisticated couples' pickRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Spectacular views from this luxury hotel on the shores of Lake Wakatipu. Chic designer decor bringing warmth and style with open fireplaces and comfy beds. Ski storage, a gym, bar and restaurant serving local seasonal cuisine. Ideal for browsing in the designer boutiques and taking in the city. See More
Azur Lodge Queenstown from £614Hideaway - Escape to one of nine indulgent villas with lake views, private terraces and delicious foodNo restaurant - Generous breakfasts, scrumptious afternoon teas & delicious canapés are providedOther Activities - Hop aboard iconic vintage steamship the TSS Earnslaw for a cruise on the lakeRiding - Ride through filming locations from The Lord of The Rings and The HobbitRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
The Carlin Boutique Hotel Queenstown 8 rooms from £1200Groups - 1-, 2- and 3-bedroom suites are brilliant for groups, who will also appreciate a gourmet private dining experienceRomantic Break - Hide away in an indulgent suite with a hot tub and amazing views from your private terrace — very romanticSkiing - Coronet Peak and Remarkables Ski Areas will thrill skiers & snowboardersRestaurant - ORO is a sophisticated Queenstown fine dining restaurant, led by Chef Thomas Barta and championing local produceRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
An ultra-luxurious collection of eight contemporary suites, each with an expansive terrace boasting a private hot tub and terrific mountain & lake views. Feast at the sophisticated ORO Restaurant, unwind with rejuvenating massages & host a rooftop cocktail party. For couples, groups or families. See More