Search the best hotels in Te Anau
About Te Anau
Translated as ‘Place of the Swirling Waters’ in Maori, Te Anau sits on the eastern shores of Lake Te Anau in the South Island’s magnificent Fiordland region. Small and scenic, the town has become increasingly popular in recent years as a base for outdoorsy travellers looking to discover the Fiordland National Park or hike the Kepler Track. Accommodation options, as a result, are wide-ranging, with lovely lodges dotted around town and in the surrounding countryside. Intimate and often owner-run, the best places to stay in Te Anau promise a warm welcome and beautiful views.
Nature enthusiasts will be spoilt for choice in the Fiordland National Park. Drive the 118-kilometre road from Te Anau to majestic Milford Sound for mesmerising views, before taking a cruise, kayaking or trekking and mountain biking amidst otherworldly landscapes of craggy hills and mountains. Doubtful Sound is another highlight, as is the famed 60-km Kepler Track. Families will adore the Te Anau Bird Sanctuary and the Glow Worm Caves, whilst chances to go jet boating and sailing on Lake Te Anau are not to be missed. Heli-tours and horse rides come highly recommended, too.
You’ll find an appealing buzz in the centre of town, with great cafés and eateries aplenty — all easily accessible from the best places to stay in Te Anau!
The Best Places to Stay in Te Anau
For a Central Stay
- The Cinema Suites offers a cosy base in the heart of Te Anau. Set above the Fiordland Cinema, this stylish pad can sleep up to five guests, and is appealingly located for on-foot explorations of the town. Movie buffs will love being just steps from the cinema!
- Prospect Lodge promises a laid-back retreat with beautiful views from two guestrooms. Friendly hosts Ross and Joan pride themselves on offering generous breakfasts, homemade treats and delicious dinners upon request. A very private, architecturally striking, modern spot for romantic couples.
- Dunluce B&B is a modern lodge set in 1.5 acres on the edge of Te Anau. Ten minutes from the lake, this is a great spot for those looking to enjoy the best of both worlds: access to town and a relaxed country retreat. Adults only.
- High Leys Lodge sits within five acres of lush gardens overlooking Patience Bay, to the north of Te Anau. With just three spacious contemporary rooms, this is an intimate choice for keen cyclists, ramblers and explorers. One for quiet couples.
For Families or Groups
- Fiordland Lodge has 10 rooms and two standalone cabins, perfect for families or groups looking to immerse themselves in the wonders of the Fiordland National Park. Views towards Te Anau Lake are spectacular, there's delicious food onsite and myriad outdoorsy activities for guests of all ages.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to nearby Te Anau-Manapouri Airport, or to Queenstown Airport, two hours' drive from Te Anau. Alternatively, there are regular buses to Queenstown from Christchurch, Dunedin, Invercargill, Wanaka and the West Coast, and on to Te Anau from there.
- New Zealand is famously wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the summer months for the best hiking, cycling and boating weather, but do be aware that this is the busiest time of year in Te Anau.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay In Manapouri.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the South Island.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Te Anau
Best Hotels in Te Anau
High Leys Lodge Patience Bay, Te Anau 3 rooms from £160Romantic Break - The small, intimate setting allows couples plenty of quiet and space, as well as opportunities to meet like minded travellersActive Holiday - A prime property for active visitors to Te Anau, with easy access to the lake, cycle trails and mountain rangesBack to Nature - Guests can immerse themselves in nature amongst the expansive gardens and surrounding FiordlandCharming - Endearingly small, charmingly decorated and contained in peaceful surroundings
Set in 5 acres of luscious and verdant gardens, the High Leys Lodge is a modern, crisp and well presented yet cosy escape for adults. Share in a luxury lounge that encourages guests to get to know each other whilst taking in the sumptuous views of Lake Te Anau and the Fiordland National Park. See More
Dunluce B&B Te Anau 4 rooms from £204Country Escape - Offering great access to the quiet town of Te-Anau and sumptuous views of its impressive and wild mountain ranges and lakesRomantic Break - This quiet, comfortable and adult only B&B is an ideal destination for a romantic and active escape in captivating sceneryGreat walks - Both the grounds and local area offer excellent opportunities for gentle strolls and countryside walksBirdwatching - Te-Anau boasts a bird sanctuary, birdwatching trails and a wealth of native bird species
10 minutes walk from Lake Te Anau, Dunluce B&B is an attractive modern construction, nestled in 1.5 acres of neat gardens with mountain and lake views. The adult only property will appeal to couples with its comfortable goose-feather beds, plush and cosy room design, and glorious romantic vistas. See More
Prospect Lodge Te Anau 2 rooms from £315Back to Nature - With views of the unspoiled national park from the windows, guests are immersed in nature from the moment they arriveCountry Escape - Escape from the hustle and bustle and relax in the South Island countryside in this charming and comfortable B&BActive Holiday - Guests can hike, cycle and swim (if they're feeling adventurous) in the property's scenic surroundingsSights nearby - Fiordland National Park offers some of the world's most impressive scenery
An impressive yet welcoming piece of architecture just outside Te Anau. The home of Ross and Joan Cockburn offers 2 guest rooms, each comfortably furnished, with private patios, excellent views and home cooked hot breakfasts. A cosy and comfortable base from which to explore Fiordland National Park. See More
The Cinema Suites Te Anau 1 rooms from £370Active Holiday - Take a ride with Fiordland Helicopters, visit the Milford Sound and trek through the beautiful South Island wildernessQuirky - A little bit different, this property conjoins two large bedrooms into a very spacious suite above the local cinemaHotel Entertainment - Pop downstairs for a free showing of local film, The Ata Whenua Fiordland ExperienceSights nearby - Famed for it's natural beauty, the Fiordland Sound fjord and the Livingston and Eglinton mountain ranges are in easy reach
A cosy retreat in the heart of Te Anau sleeping up to 5 guests. Taking design cues from the leafy surroundings, locally crafted furnishings complement the homely but modern open lounge area. Added luxuries include Egyptian cotton linens and a bottle of complimentary wine. A chic home-away-from-home. See More
Fiordland Lodge Te Anau 12 rooms from £400Great walks - Follow a private guide on nature walks through some of the 500km of trails criss-crossing the Fiordland National Park areaOther Activities - Marvel at the Te Anau Glow-Worm Caves, take to the skies with a heli tour or take a private cruise on Doubtful SoundBack to Nature - A beautiful lodge from which to explore the wilderness of the Fiordland National Park & to enjoy outdoor activitiesFamilies - Families or groups can book a charming log cabin for the ultimate escape
Ten rooms in a charming lodge & two self-contained loft-style log cabins with views to Lake Te Anau. Rooms are clad in muted natural colours and textures reflect the landscape, and have outdoor seating areas. Next to Fiordland National Park, with great walking trails, adventurous activities & food. See More