Search the best hotels in Wellington
Tucked between hills and the craggy shoreline on a wind-whipped peninsula, Wellington is an unusually small capital city. What it does have, though, is a brilliant big city buzz, a plethora of galleries, museums and eateries, and an appealingly walkable centre. With accommodation options ranging from self-catering apartments to swish hotels, our list of the best places to stay in Wellington caters to a whole host of tastes and budgets. We’ve even chosen a beautiful Palliser Bay lodge for couples, families or friends looking to escape together!
Museum-goers will find Wellington fascinating. The Wellington Museum recalls the city’s maritime and social history, whilst Te Papa — New Zealand’s National Museum — unpicks the country’s broader identity. Admire the New Zealand Parliament, ponder the Pukeahu National War Memorial and visit the City Gallery Wellington on Civic Square. For panoramic views, head to the Mount Victoria Lookout. Nature lovers will delight in the 25-hectare Botanical Gardens and the Zealandia eco-sanctuary. Play a round of golf at the Royal Wellington Golf Club, hike, cycle or horse ride in the surrounding countryside, or try your hand at sailing.
This buzzy little city is also known for its foodie and craft beer scene — you’ll find that big nights out balance out well with laid-back mornings at one of the best places to stay in Wellington.
The Best Places to Stay in Wellington
For City Style
- Ohtel is a small design-led hotel on Wellington's seafront promenade. With just 10 guestrooms, this is an intimate and stylish base for a harbour view stay in the city. Savour big brunches at the Ohtel Pantry before heading out to explore nearby museums. Pets are welcome in some rooms.
- Sofitel Wellington offers luxurious rooms and suites for well-heeled holidaymakers or business travellers. Set in the CBD, the hotel has a fantastic gym, hip restaurant and whimsical bar. A sleek city stay.
- QT Museum Hotel has a funky buzz, with glamorous arty interiors, two eateries and a bustling bar. Rooms and suites are more minimal, and some have impressive harbour views. With a swimming pool and gym, this is a top-notch city bolthole. Right opposite Te Papa Museum.
- Bolton Hotel is a brilliant business or leisure choice in the heart of Wellington's CBD. Expect swish rooms and suites, a swimming pool and delectable fare. Chef MacLean Fraser's gourmet dishes have made Artisan a foodie favourite. High teas and Sunday roasts are not to be missed.
- InterContinental Wellington has 236 stylish rooms and suites, just 200m from the coast. With the city's largest indoor swimming pool, a well-equipped gym, cocktail bar, restaurant and meeting facilities, it's a brilliant luxury choice. Great for business trips.
For a Country Escape
- Wharekauhau Country Estate is a fabulous lodge with cottages and a three-bedroom villa overlooking Palliser Bay. Brilliant for a country escape as a couple or with friends and family, the lodge promises exceptional interiors and heaps of activities -- including tennis, a spa, farm tours, hiking and cycling along 10 miles of Pacific coastline. Exquisite.
For Great Value
- U Residence offers 13 studios and apartments with well-equipped kitchens, dining areas and private terraces. A great value bolthole for a longer city stay within reach of bars and restaurants, just opposite Te Papa. For families, friends or solo travellers.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Wellington Airport, just seven kilometres from the city centre. Alternatively, arrive by train with Rail New Zealand, or InterCity bus.
- The Wellington region is wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer (October to March) for slightly warmer weather, with temperatures peaking at around 17°C. Do remember that Wellington is known for its wind and rain.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Martinborough.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the North Island.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Wellington
Best Hotels in Wellington
U Residence Hotel Wellington 13 rooms from £97Close to nightlife - Spend evenings at the lively waterfront restaurants and bars of Oriental Bay and Courtenay PlaceValue chic - Great value for longer stays or families and groups keen to cook for themselvesFamilies - With two-bedroom apartments available this is a perfect choice for familiesMuseums - Stroll across the road to fascinating Te Papa, the Museum of New Zealand
A cosy apartment hotel located in the heart of Wellington. Accommodation options vary from queen studios to two-bed apartments. The self-catering apartments are bright and contemporary and offer spectacular city views from their terraces. A convenient and well-priced city bolt-hole. See More
Sofitel Wellington Wellington 129 rooms from £1005* Luxury - You can expect 5 star luxury here with little touches like BOSE sound systems and top notch toiletriesCity Style - A luxury offering bringing some French art de vivre to New Zealand's capitalGreat walks - Take a leisurely stroll through Wellington Botanical Gardens, climb Mount Victoria for amazing views - or take the Cable Car!Restaurant - The Jardin Grill is a delight for keen foodies
Bolton Hotel Wellington 139 rooms from £100Foodies - Experience fine-dining inspired by traditional Kiwi cuisine and headed by an award-winning chefCity Style - A sleek five-star with lavish suites and impeccable serviceSights nearby - Right in the middle of the CBD so close to the Parliament building, excellent shopping and a short walk from the waterfrontGreat walks - Take a stroll through the picturesque Wellington Botanical Gardens
A luxurious five-star located in the heart of the capital. Sumptuous suites offer indulgent bathrooms, high-end tech, superb city views and plenty of space. The restaurant serves up some of Wellington's finest Kiwi cuisine. As suitable for business travellers as it is for families. A smart stay. See More
QT Wellington Wellington (Te Aro) 163 rooms from £145Other Activities - Great base for events such as the biennial New Zealand International Arts Festival and biennial Wellington Jazz FestivalCity Style - This creative hub is the epitome of cool luxury – high tech, sophisticated spaces and fun for foodiesMuseums - Close to Te Papa (the Museum of New Zealand), The Great War Exhibition and Wellington MuseumRestaurant - Dine at Hot Sauce or Hippopotamus after drinks in the Lobby Lounge
With an emphasis on cool quirky design and curated artworks all over the walls, this riverside hotel is the latest in hip luxury. Has gourmet dining with stunning river views and a choice of trendy bars. It is just 8 minutes' walk from the beach and is opposite Te Papa (the Museum of New Zealand). See More
InterContinental Wellington Wellington 236 rooms from £200City Style - A luxurious city hotel with swish modern interiors, a fabulous swimming pool, gym and gourmet diningSwimming Pool - Wellington's largest indoor hotel swimming poolGreat walks - Amble along the Wellington Waterfront & Clyde Quay Boat Harbour, taking in the sightsRestaurant - Chameleon Restaurant uses the freshest local ingredients in its delicious dishes
A swish, 5-star city hotel with 236 contemporary rooms and suites — some with multiple bedrooms. Facilities include the city's largest indoor swimming pool, a well-equipped gym, cocktail bar & chic restaurant. With meeting spaces aplenty, this is also a top business choice. 200m from the coast. See More
Ohtel Wellington 10 rooms from £231Local exploring - Overlooking Chaffers Marina and within walking distance of the main cultural attractions, bars and restaurants.Close to nightlife - Courtenay Place comes alive at night, with buzzing bars and clubs along the waterfrontRestaurant - Brunch is served daily at The Pantry, using produce from local suppliersMuseums - The fascinating Te Papa Museum is a 5 minute walk away
A boutique design hotel on Wellington's seafront promenade. Strong Fifties and Sixties influence - rooms are scattered with chic furniture and have a sophisticated feel. With only ten bedrooms, the place feels intimate and welcoming. Popular communal dining evenings and good local knowledge. See More
Wharekauhau Country Estate Wellington (Palliser Bay) 15 rooms from £893Country Escape - With a ten-mile Pacific coastline and a mountain range to the west, this is a spectacular rural escapeHideaway - Cosy up in a luxurious private cottage and forget that the world beyond the estate existsGreat walks - Follow a number of marked trails around the property, varying in length, terrain and ability.5* Luxury - This property is regarded as one of New Zealand's finest luxury lodgesRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith