- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in North Island
About North Island
New Zealand’s North Island has some of the country’s mildest weather and best beaches, but it’s also where you’ll find the largest city, the capital, and some exceptionally beautiful natural treasures. The island’s variety means that the best places to stay on the North Island range from remote coastal lodges to glitzy city break hotels.
Places not to miss:
- Auckland is New Zealand’s largest and most multicultural city, with a colourful Polynesian population and a spectacular harbour. Because of Auckland’s sprawling layout it’s useful to have access to a car, though most of the sightseeing highlights have reasonable public transport access. And the ferry offers great access to historic Davenport, as well as some great beaches, the wineries and olive groves of Waiheke Island about 45minutes away, and Rangitoto, a large volcanic island you can see to the east of the city.
- Wellington is the North Island’s other major city, dramatically positioned on a wind whipped peninsula and a major fault line. This is the country’s capital, so where you’ll find many of the big museums and galleries, as well as a good choice of bars, cafes and restaurants.
- For a slower pace you could base yourself in the Hawke’s Bay region, a flat, fertile land with a warm, sunny climate which stretches from Cape Kidnappers to the Mahia Peninsula via Hastings, Napier and Wairoa. This is a great place for foodies who like dramatic ocean scenery.
- After seeing the cities, you should also see some of the North Island’s sights, like the beautiful Bay of Islands, a superb turquoise bay, dotted with around 150 islands, the vast majority of them undeveloped and uninhabited. These protected waters are extremely important historically, being both the first place the Maoris settled, and the first place the British did. Or the wonderland of hot springs and geysers around Rotorua.
- But if you’re looking for the beaches you’ll be wanting the region of Northland, which also has one of the country’s mildest climates. There are plenty of pristine and perfectly empty beaches here, but also plenty which have been well developed to cater to families on holidays or people who’re looking for some watery thrills and spills.
All our North Island Collections:
Whatever New Zealand experience you're looking for, the Hotel Guru's selection of the best places to stay in the North Island will have a property to suit - from boutique B&Bs to luxury lodges and beyond.
The best places to stay on the North Island
- The Hotel DeBrett has 25 colourful, retro-edged rooms, decorated with an eclectic eye for modern pieces. You’re close to Auckland’s galleries and restaurants and there’s also a gym.
- The Stamford Plaza Auckland is a smart hotel right in the centre of the city with more than 280 neat, comfortable rooms and suites, two bars, a fitness centre with a pool and jacuzzi and four restaurants.
- The Esplanade Hotel is a boutique hotel converted from an Edwardian building right on the Devonport waterfront. Loads of nice original features have been retained, like large open fireplaces, but there are also all the mod. cons. you need. And there are great views of the city, yet you’re not in amongst it.
- If you prefer your hotels small and boutique, then the Great Ponsonby Art Hotel is definitely one of the best places to stay in Auckland. This 11 room B&B has unique, quirky decor and plenty of local art on the walls.
- The Museum Art Hotel is a chic 160 room hotel, with contemporary art in both the public and private spaces and a boutique shop which also sells the art on the walls. Rooms are minimal but comfortable and there’s a swimming pool spa and gym.
For a beach break
- The Bay of Islands Beach House is a collection of luxurious, self-catering apartments overlooking beautiful Sullivans Bay. As well as ensuite rooms, private balconies and BBQ areas, the House also offers free use of its dinghys, sea kayaks and lifejackets.
- Trinity Wharf Tauranga is right on the water front, with a private pontoon and an infinity pool overlooking the bay. There are 120 rooms and self-catering apartments, which are bright and airy, with all the mod. cons.. It feels seaside-y, but is also great for the city.
- Tiki Tiki Ora is a beautiful boutique B&B just 4kms from Russell, overlooking the bay. There are just three suites, decorated with colourful and eclectic artefacts, and a gorgeous garden and outdoor dining area.
- The Farm at Cape Kidnappers is a six thousand acre sheep farm with a charming, 23 room hotel. The accommodation is rustic, but elegant, with incredible views of both Hawke's Bay and the farm. There’s some amazing birdlife in this area, and the farm is lined with walking, riding and mountain biking trails.
- 15 minutes drive from Rotorua is the lovely spot occupied by the Hamurana Lodge, overlooking the lake. The ten rooms and suites are large with natural stone and wood finishes and there’s an outdoor pool and 15 acres of landscaped gardens.
For something special
- The Paihia Beach Resort and Spa Hotel is a luxurious 21 room hotel, with light and airy suites with large balconies. You’re metres from one of Paihia’s most beautiful beaches, but the hotel also has a spa and pool. And there’s a restaurant specialising in seasonal delicacies.
- The Lake Okareka Lodge by lebua in Rotorua offers the ultimate in secluded luxury. It’s on the tip of a private peninsula and has just three huge suites. Each suite has a private veranda, modern decor and top facilities. Plus there's a pool and outdoor spa baths, a gym and a library.
- The Paradise View Coastal Lodge & Retreat has just two options for accommodation, the luxurious lodge itself, which sleeps up to six and the Keeper’s Cottage, which sleeps just two. There’s also full kitchen and dining facilities (including an in-house chef to make sure all your meals are special), a spa and outdoor saltwater pool.
- Solitaire Lodge in Rotorua is a luxurious, nine room lodge on a private peninsula on the shores of Lake Tarawera. As well as stunning views the rooms and suites are large, chic and neutral. The lodge also has thermal baths and you can swim and fish right in the lake.
- Flagstaff Lodge & Day Spa is a historic lodge in charming Russell, which has been converted into a four room hotel. There’s local art on the walls, a lovely garden and outdoor deck and of course the luxurious day spa.
- Wairepo House, a boutique, country house hotel, offers elegant suites and spectacular landscaped gardens - including working apple and pear orchards. There’s also a pool, tennis court and you’re in the heart of some spectacular scenery.
- Wai Ora Lakeside Spa Resort in Rotorua is a 30 room luxury hotel and spa with bright, modern decor and comfortable rooms. There’s also a great local menu, a tranquil setting, and it’s all great value, starting from a little over £100 per night.
- The Russell Cottages, in the historic village of Russell, is a collection of 1,2, 3 and 4 bedroom cottages with full kitchens, laundry facilities and outdoor decking areas. There’s also a heated pool and a kid’s playground.
For a private apartment or house
- Explore the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The best airports for the North Island are Auckland and Wellington.
- For car hire, visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best rates.
- The best time to visit the North Island is from December to March, when the temperatures generally sit in the low twenties.
Still not sure which to book?
Best Hotels in North Island
Wai Hou Oma Lodge 5 rooms from £88Dargaville, Northland
Luxury lodge set in 7 acres of gardens and orchards only minutes from water sport haven Kai Iwi Lakes. Four separate lodges sleeping up to 6 people, with kitchen and dining facilities. Breakfast included, and additional meals prepared with fresh produce such as vegetables grown on site.Great walks - 25 minutes to Ripiro Beach, NZs longest beachSights nearby - Matakohe Museum, Waipoua ForestLocal markets - Good for local colour.Birdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.
Trinity Wharf Tauranga 122 rooms from £100Tauranga
An urban retreat on the waterfront of Tauranga with a private pontoon and outdoor infinity pool. Bright contemporary rooms and self-catering apartments are available with private balconies and top amenities. A great base for exploring the city and surrounding area.Views - Wonderful views over the Bay of PlentyOutstanding location - Stunning waterfront locationSwimming Pool - Outdoor infinity poolLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Wai Ora Lakeside Spa Resort 30 rooms from £101Rotorua (Holdens Bay)
Set on the shores of Lake Rotorua, this luxury hotel and spa offers spacious and comfortable rooms with contemporary decor and bright colours. Great local menu specialising in the use of indigenous New Zealand herbs and spices. With an outdoor pool.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Local markets - Good for local colour.Great walks - Good for walkers.
Kawau Lodge 3 rooms from £103Kawau Island
Simple and modern rooms in eco-friendly lodge at North Cove of Kawau Island. Terrace with great forest and sea views and direct access to beach pier. Activities include birdwatching, scenic walks, beach trips and sailing trips. Home cooked food and friendly owners.Birdwatching - Including wood pigeons, tuis, fantailsViews - Forest and ocean viewsKayaking - Free useSailing - Can be booked nearby.
The Esplanade Hotel 17 rooms from £104Auckland (Devonport)
Boutique hotel on Devonport waterfront. Edwardian building with original features such as open fireplaces and ensuite rooms in soft tones with great views to Auckland city centre. Perfect for a city break away from the hustle and bustle of the CBD.Sights nearby - 10 mins ferry ride to city centreViews - Devonport harbour and city viewsLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Bay of Islands Beach House from £112Bay of Islands
Luxury self-catering apartments with fabulous views overlooking Sullivans Bay in the Bay of Islands. With ensuite rooms, private balconies and BBQ areas. Short walk to Paihia's restaurants and shops. Use of dingy, sea kayaks and lifejackets. Family friendly.Active HolidayOn the beach - Sullivans BeachViews - Great views from hotelSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Russell Cottages 15 rooms from £112Russell, Bay of Islands
Self contained 1,2,3 and 4 bedroom cottages in historic village of Russell in Bay of Islands. With full kitchen and laundry facilities and outdoor decking areas. Kids playground, outdoor swimming pool (seasonal) and conference room. Good value, contemporary and comfortable.CoastalSwimming Pool - Heated pool (seasonal)Local markets - Good for local colour.Great walks - Good for walkers.
Waiheke Island Resort 25 rooms from £117Waiheke Island
Chic apartments and studios with kitchen facilities on Waiheke Island, five minutes from Palm Beach. Spacious rooms, modern furnishings and private outdoor seating areas with sea views. With a bar, restaurant, pool, hot tub, tennis court and conference facilities. For a relaxing island getaway.Birdwatching - Endangered kiwiGreat walks - Good for walkers.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
The Langham Auckland 410 rooms from £119Auckland (83 Symonds Street)
Rooms are large and decadently decorated with rich colours and with marble bathrooms. A gym, outdoor heated salt swimming pool and spa, every luxury. Within walking distance to Auckland waterfront and CBD. An urban chic hotel.Sights nearby - Auckland War Memorial Museum, Auckland Museum and Parnell VillageViews - Views of Auckland's skylineSwimming Pool - Heated outdoor salt poolSpa
Dellows Waiheke from £120Waiheke Island
Self-contained accommodation set on eight acres in the heart of Waiheke Island's wine region. Rooms elegant and comfortable, with private outdoor terraces. Has its own boutique winery and distillery, and ten minute walk to Onetangi Beach. Great for families and groups.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Birdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Great walks - Good for walkers.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.
Great Ponsonby Art Hotel 11 rooms from £121Auckland (Ponsonby)
Small and colourful boutique B&B run by friendly locals. Rooms with unique and quirky wooden furnishings and local art on walls. Large and fresh breakfast made from local produce. Close to trendy cafes and bars, and 15 minutes from CBD.Great walks - To local beachesHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
Sugarloaf Lodge from £127Matakana (1068 Leigh Rd)
Eco-friendly boutique B&B set in five acres with range of wild birds, cattle, sheep and trees. Two suites in self-contained building. Close to wineries, walks and Matakana town. Glorious outdoor seating area with views to the Hauraki Gulf.Birdwatching - Pheasant, duck, tui, plover, kingfisher and heronViews - Out to the Hauraki GulfGreat walks - Brick Bay sculpture bayLocal markets - Matakana Farmers Market
Museum Art Hotel 161 rooms from £131Wellington
Chic hotel in Wellington, with contemporary local art in private rooms and public spaces and boutique shop selling artwork. Rooms are minimal and funky, with comfy beds and armchairs. Access to swimming pool, spa and gym.Local markets - Good for local colour.SpaGreat walks - Good for walkers.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Rydges Auckland 267 rooms from £138Auckland (Kingston Street)
Urban chic hotel in Auckland's CBD two minutes from the SkyCity Casino. With light spacious rooms in muted tones and views across the city or harbour. Restaurant, gym and fun rooftop space with cocktail bar.Sights nearby - Museum of Transport and TechnologyLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Bed of Roses 3 rooms from £142Bay of Islands
Luxury B&B with three French-themed suites. Double beds, antique furnishings and glorious colourful garden. Extensive breakfast menu and all dietary requirements catered for. In quaint village with views to river basin. Wine tasting and championship golf courses close by.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Restrictions on childrenGreat walks - Good for walkers.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.
The White House 3 rooms from £144Bay of Islands
Renovated heritage villa with three ensuite rooms, a kitchen, laundry, lounge and dining area. Modern, contemporary furnishings. Sun deck, spa pool, BBQ facilities and subtropical gardens. Great location for walking, watersports and fishing. Ideal for a group of six.Great walks - Okiato to Russell walkway, Cape Brett WalkwayFishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorBack to Nature
Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour 157 rooms from £157Auckland
Luxury hotel on Auckland's waterfront with private marina for mooring boats. Rooms in textured natural tones including marble bathrooms, wall to ceiling windows and balconies. With an indoor heated pool, gym and spa. Perfect for a slick city stay.Great walks - Walking and jogging routes from hotelSwimming Pool - 20m indoor heated lap poolSights nearby - Maritime MuseumLocal markets - Good for local colour.
The Beach House 11 rooms from £162Kawau Island
Luxury accommodation located on a private island. Beachfront, courtyard and bush rooms to chose from. Restaurant serving free range food. Glorious sun decks and private seating areas off rooms. Range of watersport activities available. An exclusive beach stay.Birdwatching - Trips to bird sanctuary of Tiritiri MatangiGreat walks - Good for walkers.On the beach - In front of the hotel.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.
Enclosure Bay 3 rooms from £189Waiheke Island
Bright, modern and comfortable boutique B&B on Waiheke Island with panoramic stunning views of the Hauraki Gulf and its islands. Rooms have air conditioning and private terraces, plus an outdoor spa pool. Close to wineries, walks and marine life. You may even see dolphin or orca from your suite.Views - Panoramic views of the Hauraki Gulf and its islandsSwimming Pool - Outdoor spa poolFishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Kayaking - Available locally.
Tiki Tiki Ora 3 rooms from £193Bay of Islands
Boutique B&B 4km from Russell overlooking Bay of Islands. Three suites with colourful and eclectic artefacts, a landscaped garden and gorgeous outdoor dining area. Friendly and accommodating hosts. Great beaches and walking routes nearby.TrekkingSights nearby - 4km from historic Russell town, with museum, restaurants, cafes and craft galleriesViews - Mountain and sea views across the bayRestrictions on children
SKYCITY Grand Hotel Auckland 312 rooms from £194Auckland
Five star luxury hotel in Auckland's CBD with decor inspired by the hills and colours of Auckland. Spacious and airy rooms with views over the harbour, as well as a fitness centre, spa and three restaurants. Babysitting services available. Perfect for a weekend city stay.SpaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Hotel DeBrett 25 rooms from £200Auckland
Wonderful bright and colourful rooms with a retro edge and eclectic mix of modern furniture and local art. A hub in the centre of Auckland close to galleries, restaurants and great shopping. With a gym and massage facilities. Family friendly, with babysitting services available.Sitting RoomRestaurant - Recommended.Sights nearby - Short walk to Viaduct Harbour and Sky TowerDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Huntaway Lodge from £201Northland
Contemporary, bright, comfortable luxury Lodge with Pacific Ocean views to the Cavalli Islands. Food ethically sourced, seasonal and local, organic toiletries and commitment to sustainable practices. With outdoor spa pool and landscaped gardens. Great for a country escape.Views - Out to Pacific Ocean as far as Cavalli IslandsBirdwatching - Including native owl and tuiSwimming Pool - Outdoor infinity spa poolGreat walks - Good for walkers.
Ohtel 10 rooms from £231Wellington
A boutique, design hotel on Wellington's seafront promenade. Strong Fifties and Sixties influence - rooms are scattered with chic furniture and have a sophisticated feel. With only ten bedrooms, the place feels intimate and welcoming. Popular communal dining evenings and good local knowledge.City Style - Traditional craftsmanship meets sleek modern design in this sophisticated Wellington boutique in the exclusive Oriental Bay.Local exploring - Ideal location, overlooking Chaffers Marina, within walking distance of the main cultural attractions, bars and restaurants.Great walks - Head down to the nearby beach for an evening stroll.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Te Whau Lodge from £239Waiheke Island
Contemporary boutique lodge with panoramic views across Putiki Bay, and access to a private beach. Rooms are modern, elegant, light and spacious and all have a private deck with table and chairs. Fresh breakfast from ingredients grown in garden. Close to wineries, beaches and great walks.Views - Overlooking Putiki BaySailing - Can be booked nearby.Back to NatureHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
Acacia Cliffs Lodge 4 rooms from £241Lake Taupo
Boutique and intimate lodge with stunning location on Acacia cliffs ensuring great views over sparkling Lake Taupo. Four neutral-toned modern suites, with floor to ceiling glass windows, tiled bathrooms and private terraces. Two hectare garden with varied birdlife. Close to Mapara Native Bush Track.Birdwatching - In 2 hectare garden species include tuis, bellbirds, fantailsViews - Of Lake Taupo, Mount Tauhara and the Kaimanawa RangesGreat walks - Mapara Native Bush TrackLocal markets - Maori cultural tours
Hamurana Lodge 10 rooms from £267Rotorua
Large suites with striking New Zealand artwork, stylish rugs and natural stone and wood finishes. Fantastic location in hills of Rotorua with views to Lake Rotorua. Great outdoor swimming pool and 15 acres of landscaped gardens.Views - Views of Lake Rotorua and Mokoia IslandSights nearby - Rotorua 15 minute drive awayRestrictions on children - Must be 12 or overSwimming Pool - Outdoor
Paihia Beach Resort and Spa Hotel 21 rooms from £272Bay of Islands
Luxury hotel with light, clean and spacious suites with features such as French oak floors and large balconies. Only metres from Paihia's most picturesque beach, completed with spa, swimming pool and restaurant serving seasonal food. Ideal for tours of Bay of Islands, golfing and fishing trips.No petsViews - Out to Bay of IslandsSwimming Pool - Heated saltwaterSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Flagstaff Lodge & Day Spa 4 rooms from £283Bay of Islands
Luxury lodge in historic century old building in the heart of Russell with four ensuite rooms. Local art on the walls, use of environmentally friendly products and large comfy beds. Gardens, outdoor deck and baths, as well as luxury day spa.GolfViews - Across Russell to bayRestrictions on childrenLocal markets - Good for local colour.
Hilton Auckland 165 rooms from £286Auckland (147 QUAY STREET)
Sleek modern rooms on the Auckland waterfront with fabulous views. White walls, gorgeous full length windows and balconies. With an outdoor heated lap pool, gym and restaurant. Family friendly features include babysitting service, kids menus and family suites.Views - Harbour and city viewsSights nearby - Art galleries, museumsSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Lake Taupo Lodge 6 rooms from £288Acacia Bay, Lake Taupo
Luxury B&B lodge set in three and a half acres of wild bush on South Island's Lake Taupo. Bright, spacious and elegant suites with king size comfy beds and spa baths, private patios and great lake views. Close to Taupo volcanic hot springs, great fly fishing and Waitomo Caves.Views - Overlooking Lake Taupo and the mountainsSights nearby - Geothermal parks, Waitomo CavesDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Back to Nature
Breakfast on the Beach Lodge 4 rooms from £316Waiheke Island
Boutique B&B on Waiheke Island off the coast of Auckland. Four clean, bright and spacious rooms with fresh flowers and wide sea views. Courtyard garden with hammocks and seating areas. Use of kayaks. Great island location.Views - Of Gulf HarbourKayaking - Free accessSwimming Pool - Spa poolRestrictions on children
The Boatshed from £332Waiheke Island
Luxury coastal boutique hotel by Oneroa beach on Waiheke Island. Rooms have whitewashed walls, nautical themed furnishings and panoramic views across the bay. Wineries and art galleries nearby. All beach gear provided.On the beach - Sits above white sandy beach of OneroaViews - Panoramic ocean viewsSailing - Can be booked nearby.SpaRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Fodors
Takatu Lodge & Vineyard 4 rooms from £346Matakana (RD6)
Charming lodge built with natural wood, stone and marble set in the heart of a working vineyard. Rooms have private outdoor decks, floor to ceiling windows, open log fires and comfy beds. Eco friendly and close to great walks, wineries and local markets. A relaxing country escape.Local markets - Matakana Farmers’ Market & Country Park MarketKayaking - At PuhoiFishing - Excellent fishing nearby.
Hei Matau Lodge from £374Waiheke Island
Charming and luxurious coastal lodge with warm, contemporary, modern sea-facing rooms. Friendly hosts, self-catered or B&B option, with swimming pool, kayaks, golf clubs and bicycles available for use. Free drop off and pick up in Oneroa. Great coastal and native bush walks from property gates.Great walks - Coastal and native bush walks from propertyViews - Uninterrupted sea viewsSwimming Pool - Infinity and spa poolRestrictions on children - No children under 12
The Farm at Cape Kidnappers 23 rooms from £380Hawke's Bay
Charming luxury accommodation in the heart of 6000 acre sheep farm. Rooms are rustic and elegant, with top modern amenities and fantastic sea and farm views. Great walking, riding and mountain biking tracks on property, as well as bird life. Family friendly rural retreat.Golf - Private, award winning golf courseFamiliesBirdwatching - Cape Kidnappers is the home of the largest mainland gannet colony in the worldGreat walks - Variety of trails including forest, ocean and cliff walksRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Greenhill Lodge 5 rooms from £387Hastings, Hawke's Bay
High-end Lodge on 73 acres of lush farmland. Charming antique-filled rooms with open fireplaces, large double beds, private terraces and free-standing baths. With an outdoor swimming pool, gym and three storey viewing turret. Perfect for a romantic getaway.Views - Viewing turret 3 storey's high looks across gardens and Te Mata PeakBack to Nature - Set on 73 acresSwimming Pool - OutdoorRemote - Off the beaten track.
Latitude 37 from £493Auckland
Luxury 1, 2, 3 or 4 bedroom self catering apartments in the heart of Auckland. Rooms ensuite with sleek and functional finishes. Full kitchen and laundry facilities, separate living and dining area. Suitable for short and long stays, and ideal for families and groups.Local markets - Minutes to Wynyard Quarter and seafood marketsViews - Great views from hotel
Treetops Lodge and Estate 12 rooms from £499Rotorua (RD1)
A luxurious Lodge set in the heart of an eco-forest, with a range of self-catering accommodation choices. Large spacious rooms with timber and stone finishes, local art on walls and open fireplaces. Range of activities on offer including hunting, fishing and guided cultural walks.Spa - Authentic styles of Maori treatment and healing using natural, locally sourced ingredientsOutstanding location - 2500 acres of native forest and game reserve, seven trout streams and four lakesGreat walks - Over 70km of hiking trailsFishing - Excellent fishing nearby.
Stamford Plaza Auckland 286 rooms from £560Auckland
Smart hotel in the centre of Auckland offering a range of modern, neat and comfortable rooms and suites. With a fitness centre, indoor pool and jacuzzi. Four restaurants and two bars. Ideal for exploring city's attractions and eateries.Swimming Pool - IndoorLocal markets - Good for local colour.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.
Delamore Lodge from £674Waiheke Island
Boutique lodge with spectacular cliff top location overlooking Owhanake Bay. Modern and luxurious rooms with floor to ceiling windows, private courtyards and uninterrupted bay views. Close to wineries, olive oil tastings, scenic walks and unspoilt beaches. Ideal for a romantic getaway.Views - Overlooking Owhanake Bay out to Hauraki GulfSwimming Pool - Outdoor heated infinity poolSecluded setting - For escaping.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.
Paradise View Coastal Lodge & Retreat from £731Northland
Luxury Lodge sleeping six people and separate Keeper's Cottage sleeping two, with full kitchen, dining and laundry facilities. In house chef prepares tailored menus using fresh ingredients grown on five acre property. With spa and outdoor salt water pool. Perfect for families and groups.Birdwatching - Species in area include dotterel, variable oystercatcher, reef heron and grey heronsGreat walks - Waipu Heritage Trail, Robert Hastie WalkwayOutstanding location - In Brynderwyn Hills overlooking Bream BaySwimming Pool - Salt water, ecologically friendly
Solitaire Lodge 9 rooms from £825Rotorua (Lake Tarawera)
Luxurious lodge on private peninsula on the shores of Lake Tarawera with stunning views to White Island, New Zealand's only active marine volcano. Suites are large and neutral in colour, with chic furniture and spa-like baths. Activities include outdoor thermal baths, fishing and lake swimming.Views - Of lake, lagoon, or volcanic summit of Mount TaraweraOutstanding location - On private peninsula on the shores of Lake TaraweraBack to NatureHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
The Lodge at Kauri Cliffs 23 rooms from £874Northland
Country manor turned luxury hotel with spacious suites, walk in wardrobes, fireplaces and panoramic Pacific Ocean views. Pampering day spa in native Totara forest, tennis courts, infinity pool, private beaches and championship golf course. Ideal for a romantic getaway and local exploring.Views - 180 degree views of Pacific Ocean including Cape Brett and offshore Cavalli IslandsSpa - Day spa set in native Totara forestOn the beach - Three private beachesGreat walks - Guided nature walksRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Wharekauhau Country Estate 5 rooms from £893Wellington (Palliser Bay)
Fabulous lodge overlooking Palliser Bay. Rooms have marble bathrooms, underfloor heating and plastered walls. Indoor pool, spa, garden and gym. Off the beaten track in secluded spot, loads of activities, ideal for hideaways and romantic breaks.Hideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorFishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Huka Lodge 25 rooms from £1102Lake Taupo
Charming and atmospheric 1920s fishing lodge-turned-luxury hotel with range of suites and self-catering cottages. Seventeen acre garden, open fireplaces, antique-filled rooms and private dining venues. Close to trout fishing. Perfect for the adventurous traveller seeking indulgence.Spa - In-room spa treatments availableFishing - 40 rivers and streams nearbySwimming Pool - Swimming and spa poolsSights nearby - Huka FallsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Fodors
Eagles Nest from £1468Bay of Islands
Five contemporary and opulent villas nestled on a private headland in the Bay of Islands. With private pools, saunas, gyms, kitchens, chefs, personal trainers and breathtaking views. Access to private beaches and opportunities to see rare native birds. Stunning exclusivity and NZ hospitality.Birdwatching - Estate home to rare NZ birds including North Island Brown Kiwi, North Island Weka and KororaSights nearby - Russell minutes away, with range of a museum, galleries, shops, cafes and restaurantsOutstanding location - 75 acre private estate on headland with panoramic views of Bay of IslandsSwimming Pool - Private inifinity swimming poolsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Five star ultimate luxury lodge in Rotorua on tip of secluded peninsula. Three exclusive suites with private verandas, sleek modern furniture and top amenities. With a swimming pool, outdoor spa baths, a gym and library with a baby grand piano.SuitesViews - Panoramic views of lake and mountain vistasOutstanding location - On tip of secluded penisulaOn the beach - Private beach