- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Ålesund
Ålesund is a city built on a row of Atlantic islands, expanding out from the compact old town and the original fishing port on the edge of the peninsula. It was mainly known for the vast fishing fleet, until the city was almost entirely destroyed by fire in 1904. It was beautifully rebuilt in a magically homogenous Art Nouveau style, part paid for by Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany who used to holiday here. These days some of the best places to stay in Ålesund are also some of the most beautiful buildings in all of Norway.
What Not To Miss
- Climb up to the Fjellstua Viewpoint with the platform providing visitors exceptional views over the town, surrounding mountains and sea. Visitors are able to enjoy a scenic bite to eat at the cafe.
- A great acitivity for all the family is a visit to the Atlantic Sea Park with everything from fish to sea otters and penguins. Feeding time is especially entertaining!
- Visit the dramatic Norweigan Fjords - with excursions providing visitors a great opportunity to learn about the history of the area and see other natural beauties such as waterfalls.
- Learn about Alesund's Art Noveau architectural style at the Jugendstilsenteret with a range of educational features from exhibitions to public activities.
- Visit the iconic Alnes Lighthouse and take a stroll along the beach. If you want a fantastic view of the surrounding landscape, climb the lighthouse and afterwards relax in the nearby cafe.
The majority of the best places to stay in Ålesund are in the old town, which is also where you’ll find some of the most lauded architecture.
The best places to stay in Ålesund
- Storfjord is a luxurious hotel set in the secluded Glomoset Hills overlooking the Storfjord. This is a great spot for an active break, with kayaking and other watersports available right from the hotel and gourmet dining to come back to. There is a wonderfully cosy atmosphere with plenty of roaring fireplaces and lots of wood.
For an apartment or cabin
- If you'd prefer your own space, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a range of properties throughout the city.
- Fly to Alesund Airport located 17km (10.5 miles) from the town. The airport has flights to range of Domestic and International destinations and a transfer bus takes passengers to and from the town centre in approximately 25 mins.
- Alternatively, catch a train to Andalsnes and a connecting bus onto Alesund.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the majestic surroundings, for prices visit our online partner, Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - the summer months from late April to August provide typically pleasant weather with lower rainfall.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Ålesund
Storfjord 23 rooms from $203Ålesund
A luxury hotel set in secluded Glomoset hills overlooking the Storfjord. Handcrafted log walls, roaring fire places and comfortable designer furniture. Plenty of activites for everyone - including kayaking and watersports from the hotel. Gourmet fine dining and local produce.Kayaking - Paddle to the idyllic Glomset cove and out in Storfjorden.Fishing - ÅlesundHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Full of characterRecommended by - Tablet