Search the best hotels in Ollantaytambo
Only a short drive from Cusco, Ollantaytambo is a small town nestled into the Sacred Valley of the Incas. Unsurprisingly, there are many stunning examples of ancient Incan terraced architecture in the town. It’s also a popular starting point for three to four day treks along the famous Inca Trail, ending at the spectacular Machu Picchu. Sitting beside the beautiful Patakancha river, Ollantaytambo once served as a capital for the leader of the country’s resistance against the conquistadors, Mano Inca. We’ve selected the best places to stay in Ollantaytambo to take in both the spectacular scenery and history.
What not to miss:
- Go to visit the incredible Incan ruins at the Archaeological Park Ollantaytambo. Pictures won’t do it justice!
- Hike or take a horse up to the Pumamarca Ruins. Shaped like a puma’s head, the site is a breath-taking example of traditional architecture. It’s also possible to drive close to the ruins and walk the final stretch.
- Take the short walk to the Inca Bridge surrounded by steep cliffs and admire the views of the stunning valley. Note that the bridge itself is modern but built on Incan foundations, so don’t panic when crossing!
- Indulge your sweet tooth with a visit to the Chocomuseo, Ollytaytambo where visitors can learn about the history of cocoa and of course make yourself some chocolate.
- Stroll around the Mercado Artesanal and find a range of authentic Peruvian products for sale.
The best places to stay in Ollantaytambo are very popular during the peak trekking season, so if you plan to visit during these months, get organised and book well ahead.
The best places to stay in Ollantaytambo
For access to Machu Picchu
- El Abergue is a chic and comfortable hotel situated within the train station where trains take you directly to Machu Picchu and Cusco. With intimate and rustic rooms offering great views over the green surroundings, it’s the perfect starting point for any adventure. There’s also a sauna to unwind in!
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer your own space, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for properties located ideally to enjoy everything this fantastic town has to offer.
- Fly to Alejandro Velasco Astete International Airport located 75km (46 miles) from Ollantaytambo with a range of domestic and international connections.
- Catch a train to Ollantaytambo with routes to Cusco and Aguas Calientes.
- Or the bus which provides various connections including Cusco.
- If you want to rent a car, for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Best time to visit - the temperature is generally between ten and fifteen degrees throughout the year and to avoid the rain, aim to visit between April and August.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our pick of the best places to stay in Ollantaytambo.
- Expand your search to include all our recommendations in Cusco or throughout The Sacred Valley,
- Or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Monthly Weather in Ollantaytambo
Best Hotels in Ollantaytambo
Casa de la Chola Ollantaytambo (Urubamba) 4 rooms from £37Active Holiday - There's a wide range of activities in the region from horse back riding to trekkingLocal exploring - Well positioned to explore important archaeological sites of the Sacred ValleySights nearby - Explore some of the most famed local sights including Machu Picchu, Ollantaytambo, Pisac, Chinchero, Moray or Salineras de MarasFull of character
A charming small hotel occupying a secluded spot in the spectacular Sacred Valley. Quaint rooms are decorated with plenty of colour and feature artworks made from traditional artefacts. The restaurant features a pizza oven and local dishes are cooked on request. A homely base. See More
Del Pilar Ollantaytambo Ollantaytambo 18 rooms from £83Local exploring - With one of Peru's most famous Inca sites located close by, this hotel is a great base for local exploring in the Sacred ValleyBack to Nature - Set in the dramatic natural landscape of the sacred village of Ollantaytambo in Peru, this hotel makes a unique nature retreatFamilies - The family bungalows are perfect for adults travelling with children, offering ample, self-contained living spaceLocal markets - Visit Pisac Market, a lively market in Cusco frequented by vendors from the indigenous Quechua communities in the highlands
This elegant, colonial-style hotel is situated a stone's throw from majestic Machu Pichu. Exposed beams and intricate Peruvian textiles inject local flavour into the guestrooms, while spacious family bungalows offer split-level living. Sample celebrated local cuisine at the restaurant; a chic hotel. See More
El Albergue Ollantaytambo (Av Ferrocarril 1) 15 rooms from £155Sights nearby - Given the location you've absolutely got to go visit the stunning archeological site Machu PicchuBack to Nature - The hotel is situated amidst the mountains with great views and has a beautiful gardenGreat walks - Roam around the mountains and take in the wonderful viewsRemote - Off the beaten track.
This inn is situated in Ollantaytambo which is 19 miles away from Machu Picchu. It features rooms decorated in a chic, rustic style and has wonderful views of the surrounding area. Relax in the sauna after a long day hiking or book yourself a massage to fully unwind. A peaceful and unique spot. See More