- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Guimaraes
Founded by the famous 9th century warrior Vimara Peres, Guimaraes is a city that's steeped in history. It's historic town centre is listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is often referred to as the 'birthplace of Portuguese nationality'. The city is punctuated by magnificent architecture that always captures the imagination of visitors to Guimaraes. The best places to stay in Guimaraes reflect the city's charming culture and heritage.
Things not to miss:
- There are many museums in Guimaraes to visit but the Alberto Sampaio museum is the one that stands out and is definitely a must.
- The Martins Sarmento Society is one of Portugal's oldest institutions and has two museums in Guimaraes: the Archaeological Museum of the Martins Sarmento Society and the Castro Culture Museum.
- Guimaraes's UNESCO old town is best explored on foot. Walking around gives you the best chance to appreciate the city's rich architectural charm.
Guimaraes is a cultural powerhouse on the Iberian peninsula and the best places to stay in Guimaraes tend to be steeped in the history of the city.
The best places to stay in Guimaraes
For a historic stay
- Set in a beautifully renovated monastery, Pousada Mosterio de Guimaraes is a stunning hilltop hotel. Full of charm and character, the hotel features lovely rooms, a superb restaurant and a heavenly swimming pool. A great spot for a romantic break.
For a private apartment or villa
- Explore the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to the city is Porto (32 miles).
- For car hire, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Guimaraes is from May to September, when the temperature is in the twenties.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Guimaraes
Pousada Mosteiro de Guimaraes 51 rooms from £134Guimaraes
A lovingly restored monastery with an epic hilltop location, overlooking Guimarães. Characterful throughout with vaulted ceilings, exposed stone work and antique furniture. The best rooms feature dark wood set against chinoiserie fabrics. Dine on spectacular regional cuisine. Magical.Local exploring - A tranquil retreat from the city, yet within easy access of many of its major attractions.Great walks - Make the most of the endless picturesque trails in the surrounding hills.Sights nearby - Visit the 11th century Guimarães Castle, not far from the hotel.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Johansens, Small Luxury Hotels