- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Porto
If you know Porto, home of Port, is the destination for you, go direct to our guru's list of the best places to stay in Porto for accommodation inspiration.
Porto's Port begins life in the vineyards which surround this city. The grapes get ripe on the water of the River Douro, which slices the city in two before opening onto the ocean after ducking under a few spectacular bridges. Not surprisingly some of the best places to stay in Porto are beside the Douro.
This is an ancient city. The historic Ribeira district, with its winding cobbled streets, steep staircases and orange roofed buildings, is heritage listed. Porto also has a large number of museums and gorgeous Baroque churches. In addition to all the port producers there are colourful food markets to explore.
What not to miss:
- Visit the Livraria Lello & Irmão, undoubtedly one of the most beautiful bookstores in the world.
- Marvel at Porto's achitectural gems including Palácio da Bolsa and the breathtaking Torre dos Clérigos.
- Spot the quintessential Azulejo tiles, unique to Portugal and found all over the city.
- Spend lazy days under the sun on the picturesque beaches.
- Sample the local cuisine and, of course, the port.
The best places to stay in Porto get booked up fast in the summer months so be sure to plan your trip well in advance.
Plenty of the best places to stay in Porto are also family friendly.
- The family suites in the Hotel Infante Sagres are still decorated with original antiques and modern art, so you won't feel like you're missing out. Making it one of the most parent friendly and best places to stay in Porto.
- Or, if you prefer to say in B&B accommodation, the Castelo Santa Caterina is one of the best. It's a castle with gardens set back off the road and close to several major attractions.
- The Palacio Freixo is a baroque masterpiece built in the 18th century. There are many restored public areas, so you can pretend you're living in a palace with all the mod. cons. including an infinity pool overlooking the Duoro. Definitely one of the best places for a stunning view.
- Porto's port houses are also pretty luxurious. Well known port brand Taylors has a hotel here, The Yeatman rises above the port houses and looks out over the Duoro.
For great value
- If you're mostly about being out-and-about in town soaking up the atmosphere, then one of the best places to stay is the 6Only Guest House. Centrally located for both the museums and for having fun, this B&B is stylish but inexpensive.
For a central location
- Hotel Pestana Porto is a clean and comfortable no-frills hotel in a superb position. Wonderful views of the river and over the Medieval quarter. Simply decorated rooms. A spot to immerse oneself in culture and view the historic surroundings.
- Hotel Infante Sagres is a little jewel of a hotel brimming with tasteful opulence - think stained glass stairwells, carved wooden lifts and oil paintings. Cosy bedrooms with original antiques and modern art, Cambodian inspired spa and a lovely restaurant with summer time terrace.
- Palatial splendour on the banks of the Douro. The sumptuous 18th century Palacio Freixo is constructed with parquet floors, frescoes, ceiling panels and a Hall of Mirrors. Contemporary rooms in neutral tones with all the mod cons. Stunning infinity pool and riverside restaurant.
For city chic
- Rosa et Al Townhouse is a sleek chic townhouse in Porto's Old Town. Light and airy rooms and suites with clean lines and large living areas. Wonderful three course brunches and inventive modern cuisine.
- 4Rooms is a chic contemporary B&B in Porto's Old Fez district. Simple rooms in white with attractive modern art. A leafy garden and delicious breakfasts.
- Casa do Conto is a beautifully renovated 19th-century bourgeois home in central Porto. Sleek concrete interiors marry vintage furnishings with bold design features and stark texture contrasts.
- A cosy blue-tinted utopia with gorgeous views over the Douro river. 1872 River House is wonderfully designed and decorated following extensive renovation in 2014 Accessed via a dazzling stained-glass hallway.
- Hotel Teatro is an ideal bolthole for design-conscious urbanites in a bustling setting near the theatres and cafes. Cinematically themed with dark mood lighting, projected faces and lots of golds and bronzes in the bedrooms.
For a B&B
- Casa das Laranjas is a charming 19th century townhouse, turned B&B in Porto's historic area. Unique and comfortable rooms marry old world charm with contemporary touches.
For a contemporary stay
- Tiara Park Atlantic is a light and airy, modern business hotel with suprising elegance. In-room spa, a gym and night club. Enormous elegantly decorated rooms and suites with all the amenities.
For an apartment or villa
- If you're travelling with family or a group of friends it may be a better option to book a villa or apartment. For a wide range of properties for all tastes and budgets we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Porto's Francisco Sá Carneiro Airport located 15km from the centre of the city and well connected across Europe. The city is served by two major train stations and which serve destinations across the nation and Europe.
- Overall, Porto experiences a moderate climate. The best time to visit Porto is from May to September when the weather is sunny and warm.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Porto
4rooms 4 rooms from $111Porto
A chic contemporary B&B in Porto's Old Fez district. Simple rooms in white with all the mod cons and attractive modern art. A leafy garden and delicious breakfasts. Excellently decorated and good value. Ideal for couples or families.Value chicSights nearby - Sao Joao Baptista da Foz do Douro Castle, Douro River Lighthouse.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.
Rosa et Al Townhouse 6 rooms from $102Porto
A sleek chic townhouse in Porto's Old Town. Light and airy rooms and suites with clean lines and large living areas. Wonderful three course brunches and inventive modern cuisine. Gardens and a cosy library/living room area for relaxing. Ideal for a romantic city break for two.City Style< 10 roomsSights nearby - Ribeira (the Old Town) is a World Heritage Site.Cooking classes - Check for timings.
6Only Guest House 6 rooms from $74Porto
This is a small and simple, but nevertheless very stylish B&B. Set in a prime location next to nightlife and museums. The National Theatre S João and Casa da Musica are just around the corner. It is an ideal place to stay for a non-fussy city mini-break.City Style - In a prime location near cultural activities and nightlifeSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - I Escape
The Yeatman 82 rooms from $370Porto (Vila Nova de Gaia)
A hotel that defines its destination. Luxury in abundance - huge beautiful suites with views over the Douro, lavish marble bathrooms, fantastic spa, and infinity pool. Designer in style whilst keeping comfort and character in tact. A very special hotel.Spa breaks - The superb Vinothérapie Spa boasts a tepidarium, Roman bath, sauna and hammam plus a range of Caudalie Vinothérapie treatments.Romantic Break - Totally lavish suites with epic views of PortoSights nearby - Wander around Take Old Porto and be sure not to miss the cathedral or the Gothic São Francisco church.Sailing - Take a '6-bridges cruise' along the River Douro to the mouth of the Atlantic.Recommended by - I Escape, Johansens, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
Hotel Teatro, Porto 74 rooms from $161Porto
An ideal bolthole for design-conscious urbanites in a bustling setting near the theatres and cafes. Cinematically themed with dark mood lighting, projected faces, and lots of golds and bronzes in the bedrooms. A space of relaxation in a lively spot.Sights nearby - Walking distance from some of the city's most famed sights including Lello Bookshop, Clérigos Tower and Porto Coliseum.Sailing - Take a cruise down the Douro River.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection, Tablet
Hotel Infante Sagres 70 rooms from $206Porto
A little jewel of a hotel brimming with tasteful opulence- think stained glass stairwells, carved wooden lifts and oil paintings. Cosy bedrooms with original antiques and modern art, Cambodian inspired spa, and a lovely restaurant with summer time terrace. Ideally placed to explore the city.City Style - Located in the UNESCO heritage site of Porto, the interiors mix neo-baroque, antiques and contemporary style to great effect.Sights nearby - Walk through the UNESCO heritage city centre and see the Sé Church, the Clérigos tower and the D. Luís bridge.Local markets - Check out the charming Mercado do Bolhão market, where you can pick up local produce straight from the farmers.Sailing - Take an exhilerating ride on an Xtreme Jet Boat River Safari.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers, Small Luxury Hotels
Tiara Park Atlantic 232 rooms from $101Porto
Light and airy, modern business hotel with suprising elegance. In-room spa, a gym, and a night club. Enormous elegantly decorated rooms and suites with all the amenities. Wifi throughout and lovely restaurant with international cuisine.Business HotelBusiness meetingsViews - Great views from hotelSpaRecommended by - Frommers, Kiwi Collection
Hotel Pestana Porto 48 rooms from $127Porto
A clean and comfortable no-frills hotel in a superb position. Wonderful views of the river and over the Medieval quarter. Simply decorated rooms. A spot to immerse oneself in culture and view the historic surroundings.City StyleSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Frommers
Castelo Santa Catarina 26 rooms from $51Porto
Castle accommodation at rock bottom prices. Absolutely charming - gardens, authentic furniture and decorations, hand painted tiles, and a private chapel. An authentic B&B in a secluded spot.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Frommers, Sawdays
Palacio Freixo 87 rooms from $206Porto
Palatial splendour on the banks of the Douro. A sumptuous 18th century construction with parquet floors, frescoes and ceiling panels, and a Hall of Mirrors. Contemporary rooms in neutral tones with all the mod cons. Stunning infinity pool and riverside restaurant. Ideal base for exploring.City Style - A stunning 18th-century Baroque palace boasting frescoed ceilings, gold-trimmed mirrors and infinty pool right on the river.Total relaxation - Spend some time rejuvinating in the Turkish bath, followed by a pampering spa session and a cocktail on the waterfront.Sights nearby - Daily shuttles to the area of Ribeira where you can see Fundação Serralves and Casa da Música.Swimming Pool - Outdoor and Indoor Pools
Casa das Laranjas 4 rooms from $97Porto
A charming 19th century townhouse, turned B&B in Porto's historic area. Unique and comfortable rooms marry old world charm with contemporary touches. The cosy sitting room, dining area and shared kitchen are available for guests use. A welcoming and homely option in a great location.Local exploring - Perfectly situated for exploring the city, with all the main tourist attractions, restaurants and bars within walking distance.Families - The whole house with four bedrooms can be rented for self catering holidays, a good family option.Beach Life - The beach is a two minute walk from the hotel.Sights nearby - The Church of St Francis is close by and well worth checking out.
Casa do Conto 6 rooms from $123Porto (703)
A beautifully renovated 19th-century bourgeois home, in central Porto. Sleek concrete interiors marry vintage furnishings with bold design features, and stark texture contrasts. Comfortable stylish rooms, some with balconies overlooking the city. There is a little garden and lounge with a fireplace.Families - There are lots of common areas for socialising- lounge, library, dining room and a garden for running around.City Style - Chic and modern accommodation, in a hisotric building, right in the heart of the city.Sights nearby - Visit the historical centre for its many monuments and antique facades.Local markets - The Bom Sucesso Market is a great spot to pick up some region products.
1872 River House 8 rooms from $206Porto
A cosy blue-tinted utopia with gorgeous views over the Douro river. Wonderfully designed and decorated following extensive renovation in 2014, and accessed via a dazzling stained-glass hallway. Enormous range of breakfast options including fresh local produce. A perfect location for a tranquil stay.Local exploring - Boasting a prime riverside position, walking distance from the UNESCO historic centre.Hideaway - Tucked down a narrow sidestreet, 1872 River House is an ideal hidey hole for those looking for a blissful retreat.Local markets - Get lost in the famed Mercado do Bolhão (market) between the barnacles and the pigs hooves.Sights nearby - Explore the World Heritage sight of Ribeira with its baroque churches and pretty townhouses.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet