Search the best hotels in Limpopo
Known as the ‘The Great North’ Limpopo is the land of legend. Home to some of South Africa’s most vibrant cultures, ancient civilisations, it became the final stop along the Voortrekkers ‘Great Trek’. Such deep-rooted culture, rich history, and respect for nature are reflected in the way of life here, and some of the most fantastic places to stay. Neighbouring Mozambique, Botswana and Zimbabwe, Limpopo occupies South Africa’s northernmost reaches. Named after the mighty Limpopo River, which flows along its border with Zimbabwe, this wild and diverse state is the gateway to Africa for many, and the Kruger Park. Largely unchanged for centuries, Limpopo offers unlimited opportunities to experience an untamed Africa. Our recommendations showcase the best places to stay in Limpopo from five star lodges to eco-friendly stays.
The province’s main transport hub is Hoedspruit. From here, travellers can reach the Kruger Park, and numerous other private reserves by road. From archaeological sites to early civilisation, adrenaline-filled outdoor adventures, to its fascinating history, characterful Limpopo provides a lot more than just seeing the Big 5.
WHAT NOT TO MISS
- Occupying over 10% of South Africa’s landmass, Limpopo boasts superb wildlife opportunities. From numerous private game reserves to the great Kruger Park all of South Africa’s ‘Big 5’ can be spotted here, and much more.
- Visitors to Mapungubwe National Park, can explore one of South Africa’s most significant Iron Age sites on foot, and observe the river landscape where Botswana and Zimbabwe meet, home to big cats, antelope, and rhinos.
- Stop for a pint at Sunland Baobab farms, near Modjadjiskloof, where you’ll find an enormous Baobab tree which has been fashioned into a pub.
- Travel in the footsteps of the Voortrekkers, along The Great North Road, from Pretoria, first carved by the creaking wheels of ox wagons. Today, the road is tarmacked and clearly signposted, but it still makes for a rugged and scenic drive.
- Visit a tea, coffee, or citrus plantation – all in abundance thanks to the region’s tropical climate.
- Experiences Limpopo’s rich culture and traditional art in Venda, an area dotted with landforms of great spiritual significance.
- The unique UNESCO biosphere at Waterberg, provides excellent wildlife spotting, especially in Marakele National Park.
BEST PLACES TO STAY IN LIMPOPO
FOR SOMETHING TRULY SPECIAL
- A once in a lifetime experience, Royal Malewane is repeatedly voted one of the most luxurious places to stay in South Africa – and it has some stiff competition. Part of The Royal Portfolio collection, you know you’re in good hands. It has to be experienced to be believed!
- Not your usual colonial-style tent experience, The Outpost is camping with a difference. Stylish and beautifully designed each of its 13 tents are the height of luxury. The spa means it’s ideal for travellers wanting to completely unwind.
FOR A TRULY WILD EXPERIENCE
- Experience an authentic African safari at Baluleni Safari Lodge, with a few little luxuries thrown in. Sturdy tents are decorated in animal and tribal prints – guests can sit out on their terrace and watch the wildlife pass by.
- Camping for grown-ups, Kapama Buffalo Camp’s paired-back interior designed tents are very chic, and arguably far too stylish to seriously be considered a ‘truly wild’ experience. But, with wildlife passing right in front of your terrace, it does not disappoint.
- Children will love Rukiya Safari Camp’s authentic tented accommodation, whilst adults will appreciate its superlative comfort and inviting price tag. A real camping experience all ages can enjoy.
FOR A FAMILY FRIENDLY STAY
- With only four cottages, Kurhula Wildlife Lodge is a very intimate and very wild stay. Enticingly priced it provides budget-friendly accommodation with activities that all the family can enjoy.
- Part of an ever-growing collection of excellently priced boutique stays around Southern Africa, aha Makalali Lodge is no exception. Characterful, thatched lodged accommodation adds to the character, whilst adults and children’s activities ensure all ages are happy.
- Kapama Southern Camp’s flexible accommodation options, and activities for all ages, meaning it is an excellent, and very luxurious, options for families travelling together.
FOR A WELLNESS BREAK
- So much more than just a safari lodge, Mhondoro Safari Lodge & Villa has an extensive list of wellness packages, juice cleanses, and much more, to ensure that the wellness guru or weariest traveller is catered for. The perfect stay for those looking to revitalise in the peace and tranquillity of the African bush.
- Within driving distance of Johannesburg, Shambhala Private Game Reserve is more about the indulgent spa treatments than it is serious wildlife – but that is to be experienced too! A relaxing stay with luxurious suites in a peaceful setting.
FOR AN ECO STAY
- Though many game reserves champion their eco-credentials, Sausage Tree Safari Lodge is the real deal. Located within the Balule Conservancy they support several local charities and grassroots initiatives including an anti-poaching unit and local school and orphanage.
FOR A ROMANTIC BREAK
- Roll-top baths, spa treatments, stylish tents and fine dining, Marataba Safari Lodge has all the right ingredients for a very romantic escape.
- The adults-only accommodation, candle-lit al fresco dining, and long list of spa treatments at Tshwene Lodge ensure that travelling romantics will have a truly immersive stay.
- Just five rooms, the boutique and beautifully decorated Xanatseni Private Camp is a very charming stay and ideal for couples in search of seclusion and relaxation.
- Sumptuous suites, private pools, spa treatments and private dining all ensure that Kapama Karula Camp is popular with couples again and again.
- A very grown-up stay, Camp Ndlovu boasts refined interiors (think oak four-posters and sparkling cut glass) with outdoor roll-top baths and a very refined atmosphere. One to leave the kids behind.
- Make memories as you gaze out at the elephants drinking from directly below Kapama River Lodge’s infinity pool. Suites include private terraces with views to rival.
FOR BAGS OF CHARACTER
- Full to the brim with curio pieces and original artworks, Khya Ndlovu Manor House is an idiosyncratic stay in the heart of the African wilderness – families and couples alike, will love.
- Experience some of Limpopo’s famed tribal culture at Timbavati Safari Lodge. This unique property champion’s regions traditions, right from their cultural programme to their kaleidoscopic décor.
- Limpopo is blessed with a temperate climate. January, the hottest month, averages temperatures of aronud 23°C; whilst June, the coldest, is around 13°C. The wettest month is November with an average of 100mm of rain.
- Limpopo is best visited between May and September for the coolest weather and the best wildlife spottings.
- Depending on where in Limpopo you are travelling to, you'll either want to fly to O. R. Tambo International Airport or Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (known as KMI Airport) from where you'll want to arrange a transfer through your hotel.
- Or visit our online partners, Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Why not contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Limpopo
Timbavati Safari Lodge Limpopo 12 rooms from £98Families - Quirky cottages plus lots of outdoor activities - it's a great family stayValue chic - Excellent value within easy reach of the Kruger ParkGreat walks - Guided safari walks and trailsSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
A 20-minute drive from the Kruger Park this quirky lodge is designed in a traditional style. Each of its thatched cottages are painted in local tribal design and provide a characterful stay amidst the African bush that all ages will love. Outdoor dining, outdoor pool, plus cultural programme. See More
Unembeza Boutique Hotel & Spa Hoedspruit 11 rooms from £104Value chic - Sleek, chic, accommodation with an excellent price tagGreat walks - Excellent hiking trails in the areaSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
Kurhula Wildlife Lodge Hoedspruit 4 rooms from £175Families - Quirky cottage stay with plenty of safari opportunitiesGreat walks - Kurhula Wildlife Lodge Bush WalkSailing - Boat trip over Blyde RiverMinimum Stay - Two-night stay
Well priced safari lodge providing individual cottage accommodation that couples and families will love. Rustic-chic interiors provide a relaxed environment surrounded by wildlife. Embark on daily game drives and bush walks or relax by the pool or in the spa. Excellent dining. See More
Rukiya Safari Camp Hoedspruit 6 rooms from £200Back to Nature - A luxurious camping experience that all ages will loveGreat walks - Guided bush walks in Wild Rivers and Balule Nature ReservesSailing - Boat cruises on the Blyde and Olifants RiversBirdwatching - Bird watching from the comfort of camp
Luxurious yet well priced this is a very intimate camping stay amidst the African bush. Suitable for all ages, children especially will love sleeping under the stars. There is a long list of outdoor activities and guided safaris on foot and 4x4. Excellent dining (breakfast and dinner included). See More
umVangati House Blyde River Canyon,, Limpopo 5 rooms from £202Total relaxation - A relaxing home away from home with unspoilt views of the surrounding natureSights nearby - Moholoholo Rehabilitation Centre is home to many animals that cannot be released into the wildGreat walks - Take the trail to Three Rondavels ViewpointSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Phelwana Game Lodge Limpopo 23 rooms from £234Families - With plenty of flexible accommodation, private pools, and the great outdoors, it's a great family stayFishing - On Phelwana Dam - equipment is availableSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolsViews - Great views from hotel
Quirky thatched guesthouse providing flexible accommodation - from three-bedroom villas to private tents overlooking the lake. Perfect for families and couples. Every room is filled with curios and local artefacts. Panoramic views abound, plus you're under an hour from The Kruger Park. See More
Tshwene Lodge Vaalwater,, Limpopo 5 rooms from £248Romantic Break - An utterly romantic, adults only lodge, with candle lit dining and spa treatmentsBirdwatching - Excellent spotting, right from your private terraceKayaking - Along the Taaibos RiverGreat walks - Guided safari walks
A very intimate stay, ideal for romantics. This adults-only lodge provides guests with lavish suites, boasting private terraces that gaze out across the Welgevonden Game Reserve. Excellent wildlife opportunities by day, sumptuous 'bush' dining by night. There's a spa and inviting pool. Bliss. See More
Baluleni Safari Lodge Hoedspruit (Phalaborwa,) 5 rooms from £248Back to Nature - A very 'Out of Africa' experience with rustic tents and superb safari experiencesSights nearby - Trips to the Endangered Species Centre, where they rehabilitate injured animals and release them back into the wildGreat walks - Guided safari walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Rustic tented accommodation boasting a long list of activities, guided walks, and excellent safaris. The lodge is frequented by the local wildlife - sit out on your private terrace and watch it go by. Hearty dining, including a sumptuous breakfast, local African dishes, and freshly baked cakes. See More
Khya Ndlovu Manor House Hoedspruit,, Limpopo 8 rooms from £330Back to Nature - An authentic "lodge" experience in the heart of the African bushGreat walks - Guided safari walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolFull of character
Filled to the rafters with antiques and local curios, all of the rooms are very cosy with sink-into-sofas, antique books, and quirky artwork. Bask in the panoramic views from the infinity pool and decking area. An excellent breakfast is served each morning; lunch and dinner à la carte. See More
Sausage Tree Safari Lodge Hoedspruit 5 rooms from £424Back to Nature - A luxury camping experience amidst natureRestrictions on children - Children above the age of 8 are welcomeGreat walks - Guided walking tours and bushwalksSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
With views of the Balule Conservancy with dramatic hilltops, valleys and open plains this intimate safari lodge boasts admirable eco principles and conservation efforts. Each of the five luxury tents is a comfortable stay with mountain views and en suites. Dine under the stars; relax by the pool. See More
aha Makalali Lodge Hoedspruit,, Limpopo 24 rooms from £450Families - A great value, family friendly stayGreat walks - Excellent guided walking trailsKayaking - On the Makhutswi RiverSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Well priced, family friendly lodge offering comfortable accommodation with your choice of local and continental cuisine. Sprawling suites, boasting family rooms, include private terraces and airy bathrooms. Excellent wildlife viewing. Candle-lit dining and drinks by the bonfire are magical. See More
The Outpost Limpopo 13 rooms from £450Back to Nature - A stylish, modern stay in the heart of the Kruger ParkSights nearby - Take a tour of the surrounding villages and local cultureBirdwatching - Excellent birding oppurtunities - bring your binoculaursGreat walks - Explore the surrounding flora and fauna on foot
Sleek, contemporary stay in the heart of The Kruger Park. A very stylish stay with excellent wildlife spottings. There's a spa, candlelit dining, and indoor-outdoor living from your sumptuous suite. It's a very sophisticated stay. Children above the age of 10 are welcome. See More
Kapama River Lodge Hoedspruit,, Limpopo 40 rooms from £500Romantic Break - Indulgent spa treatment, al fresco dining, it's a superb couples stayGreat walks - Guided bush walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolViews - Great views from hotel
Very luxurious accommodation, boasting the option of private charters from Cape Town - you don't get much more jet set than that! Rooms include private balconies with lavish bathrooms and epic views. Relax by the pool as elephants come up for a midday drink. The outdoor spa is bliss. Superb. See More
Shambala Private Game Reserve Vaalwater,, Limpopo 8 rooms from £620Spa breaks - Offering excellent wellness packages this is a great stay for spa loversSafari - Morning and evening safari drivesGreat walks - Excellent guided safari walksSwimming Pool - Indoor and outdoor
Within driving distance from Johannesburg, this luxury lodge provides an eco-stay amidst South Africa's bushveld. Each chalet is decorated in an Afro-French style, with indoor-outdoor living, and opulent bathrooms. You even have your own butler! Spa treatments plus fine dining - it's a winning stay. See More
Mhondoro Safari Lodge & Villa Limpopo 6 rooms from £622Spa breaks - With special detox and retreat packages this is a great stay for wellness loversGreat walks - Great guided bush walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolKids Club - Fully staffed.
Luxurious hotel providing excellent wellness packages and family facilities. Billowing four-poster beds gaze out across the wilderness, some rooms include private pools. Gourmet dining makes for a very romantic stay. From kids' clubs to juice cleanses, there's something to keep everyone happy. See More
Kapama Southern Camp Hoedspruit (R40 Klaserie River) 22 rooms from £656Families - Family suites and lots of outdoor activitiesGreat walks - Guided bush and tracking walksKayaking - Along Hongonyi LakeSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Excellent family accommodation boasting private pools and your choice of activities. Flexible accommodation and dining mean it's perfect for children, whilst adults will love the spoiling spa treatments. Modern suites include stylish accommodation with private sit outs and some have private pools. See More
Camp Ndlovu Limpopo,, Limpopo 3 rooms from £687Romantic Break - Adults only, outdoor bathtubs, and candle lit dining - a very romantic stayGreat walks - Guided safari walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRestrictions on children - Adults only
This adults-only hotel provides the ultimate romantic stay. Private terraces look out across the bushveld (the best include their own private pool). Daily guided safari drives allow you to soak up the local wildlife. Superb dining, opulent suites, and pampering spa treatments - a spoiling stay. See More
Pondoro Game Lodge Hoedspruit,, Limpopo 8 rooms from £700Back to Nature - Excellent wildlife spotting - one for lover's of the great outdoorsBirdwatching - Excellent birding with hundreds of species to be spottedSwimming Pool - Outdoor and private poolSailing - Daily safari drives
Ezulwini Game Lodges Hoedspruit 15 rooms from £703Back to Nature - A luxurious stay amidst nature, with every creature comfort taken care ofBirdwatching - Superb bird spotting in the areaFishing - Equipment is availableGreat walks - Guided safari walks
The Zulu word for 'paradise' this collection of lodges is its own little paradise nestled in the Balule Private Nature Reserve. Romantic suites, with capacious four-poster and private terraces, the best opening out onto their own pools. There's a spa, al fresco dining, and expertly led safaris. See More
Kapama Buffalo Camp Hoedspruit 10 rooms from £780Back to Nature - Luxurious tented accommodation provides a lavish 'Out of Africa' experienceGreat walks - Guided bush walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRestrictions on children - Adults only
Camping for grown-ups! This luxurious lodge providing ten luxury tents in a secluded setting. Open plan bedroom and bathrooms look out onto your own private terrace and the wilderness beyond. Superb dining and hearty breakfasts are excellent. Superb spa treatments. Divine. See More
Marataba Safari Lodge Thabazimbi,, Limpopo 15 rooms from £938Families - Excellent facilities for all agesGreat walks - Guided walks for adults and childrenBirdwatching - Hundreds of species to be spottedSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Opulent safari lodge ideal for families, yet still totally luxurious. With plenty of activities to keep everyone happy, stylish suites, indulgent spa treatments, as well as gourmet food. Relax by the pool or with a massage treatment, or sit out on your private terrace and watch the animals pass by. See More
Kapama Karula Camp Hoedspruit 12 rooms from £1892Romantic Break - Sprawling suites and an indulgent spa: very romanticGreat walks - Guided safari walksSwimming Pool - Private poolsRomantic - Good for couples.
Modern safari lodge providing separate suites nestled in the heart of the African bush. Boasting private pools and indoor-outdoor living, it's a truly wild stay. Enormous suites spill over into luxurious bathrooms. An impressive wellness menu, fine dining, and excellent game drives. Wonderful. See More
Jabulani Safari Hoedspruit 7 rooms from £1931Romantic Break - A very indulgent, utterly romantic stay with superb dining and spa treatmentsGreat walks - Safari walks led by expert guidesBirdwatching - Excellent birding spottingSwimming Pool - Outdoor and private pools
Sumptuous five-star suites boasting private pools, opulent four-poster beds and baths that are meant for lingering - with views out across the savannah. Gourmet dishes are on the menu, from a hearty breakfast spread to candlelit dinners. Immersive spa and plenty of activities. Sublime. See More
Royal Malewane Hoedspruit 6 rooms from £2700Honeymoons - This is one to truly treat yourself, a more luxurious safari stay is difficult to findGreat walks - Guided bush walksSwimming Pool - Private poolsRestrictions on children - Adult only
Winner of countless awards, Royal Malewane is one of, if not the most luxurious stay in South Africa. With a hefty price tag it's one to truly spoil yourself, though once you're there, it's all included. Colourful rooms are designed by the owner herself, Liz Biden. Gourmet dining. A sublime stay. See More