Search the best hotels in Mpumalanga
A wild and rugged province in eastern South Africa, Mpumalanga, is the Zulu name for "the place where the sun rises". Bordering Swaziland and Mozambique, it has a diverse culture, with truly wild terrains and excellent wildlife spotting. One of South Africa’s smallest provinces, Mpumalanga packs a lot in. A land of mountainous landscapes that transform into luscious valleys; arid bushveld interrupted only by the odd sleepy town, Mpumalanga’s natural attractions make it a hot spot for outdoor enthusiasts. From rock climbing to cliff jumping; rafting to bouldering; horse riding or hiking there is no shortage of adrenaline-fuelled ways to explore this truly wild province. Our selection of the best places to stay in Mpumalanga showcase five-star luxury lodges, as well as budget-friendly accommodation, ensuring that there is something for every traveller.
Home to the world’s third-largest canyon, the enormous Blyde River Canyon, which carves its way through the Drakensberg mountains, it is one of South Africa’s most iconic sights, and one of those places that photography simply does not do justice. A hike up to its highest point leaves visitors breathless in every sense of the word. It has to be seen to be believed.
Mpumalanga is also prime ‘Big 5’ territory. To the east it borders the southern half of the Kruger Park, as well as the prominent Sabi Sands private game reserve, both boasting an excellent selection of lodges and places to stay, from family-friendly to all-out luxury.
WHAT NOT TO MISS
- Take a drive or a hike up the Blyde River Canyon, the world’s third-largest canyon, a truly spectacular sight to behold and Mpumalanga’s most famous attraction.
- Crawl or scramble your way through the Sudwala Caves.
- In 2008, Haute Cuisine route, from Mbombela to Hazyview, was formed. Covering the four top fine dining restaurants the area including Summerfields Kitchen, Oliver’s Restaurant, Orange, and Salt it’s a great route to follow for those exploring by car.
- From mountain biking, quad biking, bungee jumping, and river rafting there is no shortage of outdoor pursuits to entertain travellers to this truly wild corner of Africa.
- Head out in search of ‘The Big 5’. All of South Africa’s most famous animals can be found in Mpumalanga, with the Kruger Park and the Sabi Sands being the most prominent reserve in the province.
Our selection of the best places to stay in Mpumalanga showcase the best that this area of pristine beauty and uninterrupted nature has to offer.
THE BEST PLACES TO STAY IN MPUMALANGA
FOR THOSE ON A BUDGET
- A Spanish themed hotel brought to you by the ever-growing boutique chain aha Casa do Sol Hotel & Resort provides family and budget-friendly accommodation within under an hour’s drive of the southern reaches of the Kruger Park.
- Luxurious lodgings with a tiny price tag, Country Boutique Hotel is a modern, boutique stay under fifty minutes drive from the Kruger Park.
- Boasting far-reaching views and individual cottage accommodation, White House Lodge is a well-priced stay, ideal for those wanting to ‘get away from it all’.
- Beautifully designed rooms, superb dining, not to mention a long list of spa treatments – it’s difficult to fathom the price tag at Unembeza Boutique Hotel & Spa. But who’s complaining!
- Thatched roof, roll-top baths, and just ten minutes from the Kruger Park’s Phabeni gate, Rissington Innis excellent value, starting from under £100 a night.
- With just eight rooms, the ever opulent Belgrace Boutique Hotel provides guests with an indulgent stay (four-poster beds, in-room Jacuzzis and fireplaces) at an enviable price tag.
- You'd be hard-pressed to find a better value stay this close to the Kruger Park than Sabie River Bush Lodge. Great for families, easy on the pocket, this 18-room hotel does not disappoint.
- The ever inviting Hamilton Parks County Lodge, comprised of 14 thatched suites, provides a warm welcome to travellers of all ages, at a truly inviting price. Boasts good sized rooms, characterful bathrooms, plus manicured gardens and a charming outdoor pool.
FOR SOMETHING TRULY SPECIAL
- The all-inclusive Lukimbi Safari Lodge offers an indulgent stay within easy reach of both the Kruger Park and an 18-hole golf-course – depending on which you fancy! Restaurant quality dining, spa treatments, plus lavish suites with epic views, it’s an unforgettable experience.
- Dating back to the 1950s, with conservation at the heart of what it’s about since then, King’s Camp provides guests with a very colonial stay. Guests can even get involved with animal tracking and rhino chipping.
- As luxurious as it is wild Tanda Tula provides guests with an authentic stay amidst nature, without compromising on the luxury. Stylish tents are very private (perfect for couples) and surrounded by nothing but wildlife. Alfresco, candlelit dining make it an unforgettable stay.
- Eight private lodges with pools and relaxed indoor-outdoor living, Elephant Point allows families travelling together enough room to spread out and enjoy themselves, amidst the African savannah.
- Child and budget-friendly, and within easy reach of the Kruger Park, Kruger Park Lodge ticks all the boxes.
- Laidback and budget-friendly, Hazy View Cabanas provides individual cottage accommodation geared towards families, with plenty of activities on offer. It’s just a short drive from the Kruger Park.
- More modern and more luxurious than its counterpart, aha Bongani Mountain Lodge is every bit as characterful. A great family stay, within easy reach of the Kruger Park.
- With private cottage accommodation, acres on which to explore, themed dinner nights and a family of elephants to befriend, Hippo Hollow Country Estate is the perfect family stay.
- Running since 1983 Idube Game Reserve demonstrates that a warm welcome and friendly service never goes out of style. Popular amongst families it’s a very comfortable stay.
- Very cool modern-meets-colonial interiors, Nkorho Bush Lodge, located in the heard of the private Sabi Sands Game Reserve ensure excellent wildlife spotting and a very comfortable stay for the entire family.
- An intimate, all-inclusive stay, with just six-rooms Senalala Luxury Safari Camp is perfect for families or larger groups exploring the Kruger Park.
- Nestled amidst 50,000 hectares of private bushland, with just 11 cottages and enough activities to tire even the most active children, Inyati Game Lodge is a great stay for all ages.
- Fine dining and the African ‘bushveld’ might not be an obvious partnership, but at Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve they have gone above and beyond to ensure that even the gourmand is catered for at their haute cuisine stay.
Sleep under the stars
- Fancy sleeping under the stars? Well, at Klaserie Sands you can. Not a sleeping bag in sight, spend the night in a four-poster bed with the savannah to serenade you. An unforgettable experience.
- Possibly the most romantic room in all of Mpumalanga, Lion Sands Game Reserve’s treehouse suite is perfect for couples looking for the unforgettable al fresco stay. Sleep amidst the canopies at one of South Africa’s most luxurious reserves.
For a romantic break
- Beautifully designed, Simbambili Game Lodge’s sprawling suites, complete with enormous tubs and the best, private pools, are made for lingering. Spa treatments and superb dining (in-room and alfresco) complete the package.
- Antique leather suitcases, white linen table cloths, and paraffin lamps: Hamiltons Tented Camp is an authentic colonial camping experience one doesn’t often come across – an ‘adults only’ camping trip!
- Family-lodge turnd five-star stay, Motswari Private Game Reserve is a favourite with couples. Superb dining plus interiors by David Strauss and artwork by Marion Geiger-Orengo, it's an interior lover's dream.
For bags of character
- There’s nothing quite like Imbali Safari Lodge. Classic interiors and colonial artwork, are juxtaposed with modern luxuries and private plunge pools. Indulgent dining is the height of opulence.
- Dating back to the 1950s, Elephant Plains Game Lodge is one of the oldest family-run properties in the area – they must have been doing something right to keep it going for all these years!
- Colourful, characterful, Hoyo Hoyo Safari Lodge imbibes the spirit of Africa with its vibrant colour palettes and decorative artwork. All ages will love spending the night in one of their traditional thatched cottages.
- The Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport (known as KMI Airport) is the gateway to the iconic game reserve, the Kruger National Park.
- With temperatures ranging from as low as 8º C in the winter, to 26º C in the summer, Mpumalanga averages pleasant temperatures within the low to mid-twenties. Experiencing summer rain, the best time to visit is in the drier, winter months.
- Visit between May and September for the coolest weather and the best wildlife spottings.
- Public transport in this area is all but non-existant, and it is best advised that you book transfers through your hotel, or visit our online partners, Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Why not contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Mpumalanga
Country Boutique Hotel Limpopo, Mpumalanga 22 rooms from £45
A very grand country escape with a minute price tag. This charming hotel provides sophisticated interiors within driving distance of the Kruger Park, for those who enjoy their homely comforts. Excellent dining, an outdoor pool, lounge and dining areas, guests will feel very at home here. Charming.Value chic - Opulent interiors at a very inviting priceSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolKayaking - Longmere DamTraditional
White House Lodge White River,, Mpumalanga 9 rooms from £53
Bucolic family lodgings surrounded by some of South Africa's most pristine landscapes. This is a place to come and "get away from it all" with a good book and your nearest and dearest. Cosy family cottages provide a comfortable stay, complete with sitting and dining areas, and a small kitchen.Families - Family cottages, plenty of outdoor activities - it's a great family stayGreat walks - Excellent walking routes right from your front doorSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolViews - Great views from hotel
Hamilton Parks County Lodge Hazyview,, Mpumalanga 14 rooms from £54
This inviting thatched country abode provides a warm welcome to travellers of all ages. Relax amidst manicured gardens with a charming pool and plenty of shady spots. Each of the rooms is of a good size and include enormous beds and characterful bathrooms. Day trip to Kruger Park. Excellent value.Value chic - Excellent value stay at this beautiful, bucolic lodgeGreat walks - Excellent guided walking trailsSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolFull of character
Sabie River Bush Lodge Mpumalanga 18 rooms from £63
Excellent value, family friendly lodge providing a comfortable stay amidst the African bush. Each of the rooms is decorated in a homely style, with floral prints and en suite bathrooms. Buffet dining provides local and continental flavours. A well-priced stay.Value chic - An excellent value stay within easy reach of the Kruger ParkGreat walks - Excellent guided walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Hazy View Cabanas Hazyview,, Mpumalanga 80 rooms from £64
Superb family stay, this property is brimming with outdoor activities for children, whilst comfortable cottages make for the perfect base for exploring the surrounding wildlife. Hearty meals are popular with all ages - an excellent value stay.Families - Mini golf, tennis courts, cycling, kids' club, and so much more - it's a great family stayKayaking - Rafting on the Sabie RiverSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolKids Club - Fully staffed.
aha Casa do Sol Hotel & Resort Hazyview,, Mpumalanga 54 rooms from £72
Charming Spanish style lodge providing flexible family accommodation within easy reach of The Kruger Park. Surrounded by some of South Africa's most beautiful sites (God's Window, Blyde River Canyon) the hotel is an oasis within itself. Colourful rooms and homely dining - a great choice.Families - With plenty of activities and family suites, it's a great stay for all agesValue chic - Excellent value for such stylish accommodationSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolFull of character
Hippo Hollow Country Estate Hazyview,, Mpumalanga 18 rooms from £89
Well-priced excellently positioned safari lodge, a few minutes drive from the Kruger Park's Phabeni Gate. Each of its 18 cottages is spacious enough to accommodate young children or provide a couple with plenty of privacy. Themed dinner nights and a family of elephants nearby - a superb choice.Families - Children will love the outdoor activities and abundance of wildlife - not to mention resident elephants!Kayaking - You're right on the banks of the Sabie RiverSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolSpa
Rissington Inn Hazyview,, Mpumalanga 20 rooms from £99
Awarding-winning, homely lodge in a rugged bush setting, located just a 10-minute drive from the Phabeni Gate of the Kruger National Park. Each of its twenty rooms is filled with antiques and original features, from exposed beams to original tiles, with plush fabrics and claw-foot tubs. Just lovely.Country Escape - A quaint and homely stay in the African bushValue chic - Excellent value charming accommodationKayaking - Rafting along the Sabie RiverSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Belgrace Boutique Hotel White River,, Mpumalanga 8 rooms from £129
An elegant eight-bedroom guesthouse boasting indulgent wellness facilities. Opulent suites provide a very romantic backdrop from which to explore the Kruger Park and some of South Africa's most famous geographical wonders. There's a pool, jacuzzi baths, and excellent indoor-outdoor dining.Romantic Break - Opulent suites, superb dining, jacuzzi baths - a very romantic staySights nearby - Take a driving tour of The Blyde River Canyon, Three Rondavels, God’s window, Lisbon WaterfallsKayaking - On the WitrivierFull of character
Kruger Park Lodge Hazyview,, Mpumalanga 3 rooms from £130
Excellent value family accommodation. Choose between one and two-bedroom cottages which include private balconies and plenty of space to spread yourselves out. There are lots of activities on offer and superb dining throughout the day. Relax by the pool, play a round of golf. A fun stay.Families - Family cottages and a bounty of activitiesValue chic - Excellent value safari stayGreat walks - Guided safari walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
aha Bongani Mountain Lodge Kaapmuiden,, Mpumalanga 39 rooms from £193
A charming lodge, offering luxurious yet good value family accommodation. Stay in a traditional thatched style cottage with luxurious four-poster beds and large bathrooms. There is an adult's and children's pool, as well as spa facilities. Dining is superb with excellent continental dishes served.Back to Nature - Great for familiies wanting to escape back into natureGreat walks - Guided safari walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolSpa
Xanatseni Private Camp Hoedspruit,, Mpumalanga 5 rooms from £291
Located within the Savanna Biome, covering an impressive 32% of South Africa, this intimate lodge provides full board accommodation, with bundles of charm and ambience. Its five rooms offer beautiful, luxurious interiors and large bathrooms, plus a large pool and al fresco bush fire in the evening.Back to Nature - Luxurious suites in the heart of nature - a very relaxing stayGreat walks - Guided safari tracking walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRomantic - Good for couples.
Elephant Point Mpumalanga 8 rooms from £340
Choose between Elephant Point's eight private lodges, all with private pools, perfect for families travelling together. Self-catering, guests have the option of hiring a private chef, or having their shopping done beforehand: everything is taken care of! Bordering Kruger Park it's a great stay.Families - Private villa accommodation makes this a perfect family stayKayaking - On the Sabie RiverGreat walks - Guided bush walksSwimming Pool - Private pools
Motswari Private Game Reserve Mpumalanga 15 rooms from £572
Stunning family house turned safari lodge - with interiors by famed designer David Strauss and artwork by Marion Geiger-Orengo it is an aesthete's haven. Each of its suites boasts a private sit-out where you can listen to the sound of the bushveld. Superb dining, infinity pool, plus daily safaris.Romantic Break - Al fresco dining, four poster beds, you can even opt to sleep under the starsRestrictions on children - Children above the age of 16 can be accommodatedGreat walks - Daily guided safari and nature walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Hamiltons Tented Camp Kruger National Park, Mpumalanga 6 rooms from £597
Nestled amidst the Kruger Park, this adults-only safari lodge boasts luxurious suites and superb wildlife opportunities. An utterly romantic stay choose from candlelit dining and indulgent spa treatments. Delicious freshly baked cakes and pastries are served - as are gourmet dishes and fine wines.Romantic Break - Adults only accommodation boasting lavish suites, an indulgent spa, and candle lit diningRestrictions on children - Children above the age of 12 are welcomeSailing - Daily morning and evening safari drivesKayaking - Along the Ngwenyeni Dam
Nkorho Bush Lodge Limpopo, Mpumalanga 7 rooms from £600
Beautifully appointed suites nestled amidst the private Sabi Sands reserve. Great for couples and families. Babysitting services are available as are indulgent spa treatments. A buffet feast is served for breakfast, lunch, and dinner plus there's a great wine list. Excellent safari opportunities.Romantic Break - Splash out and book the honeymoon suite!Great walks - Daily guided bush walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolFour poster beds - For romantics.
Hoyo Hoyo Safari Lodge Skukuza,, Mpumalanga 4 rooms from £601
Charming, characterful lodge with excellent wildlife opportunities. Colourful rooms are filled with African art and local curios. Dining is superb, with a tasty mix of local and continental dishes. There's an inviting pool and plenty of shady outdoor lounging areas to relax. Divine.Families - Quirky interiors and plenty of outdoor activities - a great family stayBirdwatching - From the fierce martial eagle to the smallest and most delicate blue waxbill - there are plenty to be spottedGreat walks - Guided safari walks and trailsSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Senalala Luxury Safari Camp Hoedspruit,, Mpumalanga 6 rooms from £612
Intimate six bedroom lodge within the Kruger Park, providing an excellent all-inclusive stay. Spacious rooms include tea and coffee making facilities and private terraces. Commune around a the crackling fire in the evening, after a sunset safari. Excellent dining and wildlife.Back to Nature - Excellent wildlife spotting - a superb stayGreat walks - Guided safari walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRestrictions on children - Adult only
Elephant Plains Game Lodge Limpopo, Mpumalanga 12 rooms from £664
Dating back to the 1950s this 12 bedroom lodge provides an intimate stay amidst the famous Sabi Sands reserve. Four poster beds look out onto private terraces with far reaching views. Large en-suites include enormous carved stone baths. Lots of activities from safaris to stargazing. A great stay.Active Holiday - Lots of outdoor activities for the active at heart to indulge inGreat walks - Miles and miles of walking trailsSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolKids Club - Fully staffed.
Imbali Safari Lodge Skukuza,, Mpumalanga 12 rooms from £672
Private safari lodge located within the Kruger Park. Its grand colonial interiors create a refined ambience. Communal areas are filled with antiques and historic portraits. Rooms include a terrace with views of the surrounding wildlife, the best boast a private pool. Alfresco dining is superb.Romantic Break - Private pools, candle lit dining, in-room massage - all in all a very romantic stayBirdwatching - There are over 500 species including the Southern Yellow-billed Hornbill, Crested Barbet and Burchell’s Glossy StarlingRestrictions on children - Children over the age of 8 are welcomeSwimming Pool - Outdoor and private pools
Idube Game Reserve Limpopo, Mpumalanga 3 rooms from £710
Started in 1983 this family-run private lodge boasts homely accommodation with plenty of luxuries. Each chalet includes its own private pool and decking area, so families and couples are afforded plenty of privacy. Tasty dishes are served throughout the day. Excellent wildlife spotting.Families - With private chalets and all inclusive dining, this is a great family optionBirdwatching - There are approximately 400 different types of birds spotted at IdubeGreat walks - Excellent guided bush walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Klaserie Sands Mpumalanga 5 rooms from £735
This five-star stay, nestled amidst the Kruger Park provides lavish interiors in a very grown-up setting. Choose between lounging by the pool, head out on an expertly led safari drive, or relax with a spa treatment - you can even 'sleep under the stars'. Superb dining. A great stay.Romantic Break - A perfect romantic stay, with indulgent suites and spa treatmentsMinimum Stay - Minimum two night stayGreat walks - Daily guided walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Lukimbi Safari Lodge Malelane 16 rooms from £826
Luxurious lodge, a short drive from the main gate to the Kruger Park. This full board stay provides guests with an opulent stay. Sprawling rooms look out across the plains, whilst bathrooms include tubs meant for soaking. All this plus fine dining, spa treatments, and a nearby golf course.Total relaxation - A very relaxing stay, complete with spa and fine dining, in the African bushGreat walks - Guided bush walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolViews - Great views from hotel
Inyati Game Lodge Eastern Cape, Mpumalanga 11 rooms from £900
Nestled in an area of 50,000 hectares, on the western side of the Sabi Sands each of the 11 cottages provide sprawling accommodation in a secluded setting. Four poster beds and outdoor lounging, plus modern bathrooms: it's a very cosy stay. Local flavours and Western favourites are served.Families - Located right along the Sand River, with plenty of activities, it's a great family stayFishing - On the Sand River - equipment is availableGreat walks - Guided bush walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
King's Camp Hoedspruit,, Mpumalanga 7 rooms from £1079
Located on the edge of the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve, conservation has been at the heart of King's Lodge since the 1950s. Now a luxury lodge, welcoming guests to lend a hand with animal tracking and rhino chipping, whilst staying in very luxurious confines. Alfresco dining and opulent suites.Total relaxation - Spa treatments, yoga classes, beautiful rural setting: total blissBirdwatching - Superb birdwatching with hundreds of species to be spottedRestrictions on children - Children above the age of six are welcomeGreat walks - Guided bush walks
Tanda Tula Limpopo,, Mpumalanga 12 rooms from £1250
Five star stay in the midst of the Timbavati Game Reserve provides opulent interiors with colonial style tents filled with antiques. Each includes a private sit out with unparalleled views and bathrooms with roll-top baths. Fine dining plus excellent activities. An indulgent stay.Romantic Break - Rustic-luxury tents in the middle of the African bush, with candlelit dining and clawfoot tubsSights nearby - Tale a drive to Bourke's Luck PotholeGreat walks - Guided bush walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Simbambili Game Lodge Kruger Park,, Mpumalanga 8 rooms from £1250
Opulent safari accommodation, popular with couples wanting to get away from it all. Suites include capacious four-posters, enormous baths, indoor-outdoor living, and the best, private pools. Dine under the stars on a gourmet menu, wake up early for a sunrise safari drive. A luxurious stay.Romantic Break - Private pool, candle-lit dining: an utterly romantic stayGreat walks - Guided bush walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolViews - Great views from hotel
Lion Sands Game Reserve Kruger National Park, Mpumalanga 12 rooms from £1635
One of South Africa's finest safari lodges guests are pampered beyond imagination. Gourmet dining, indulgent spa treatments, there is even treehouse accommodation for the ultimate romantic sleepover. Suites boast impressive views, indoor-outdoor living and enormous baths. Divine.Romantic Break - Private pools and superb spa treatments: a very indulgent stayGreat walks - Guided bush walksSwimming Pool - Private poolsRestrictions on children - Adult only
Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve Hazyview,, Mpumalanga 8 rooms from £1952
Award-winning lodgings, located in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve provides a five-star stay with private pools, an impressive wellness menu, and opulent suites with four-poster beds and luxurious bathrooms. Sample your choice of 'bush cuisine' or Western flavours, paired with an excellent wine list.Romantic Break - Private pools, candle-lit dining, and spa treatmentsFoodies - Fine dining and an excellent wine cellarRestrictions on children - Children above the age of ten are welcomeKayaking - Kayaking on the Sand River