North West Province
Search the best hotels in North West Province
About North West Province
A vast stretch of rugged bushveld, running between Pretoria and the Kalahari and bordering Botswana to the west and Limpopo to the east, South Africa’s North West Province is home to some of its best and lesser-explored safari parks. Largely uninhabited, the majority of its population are from the Tswana tribe, speaking Tswana, with English widely spoken as a second language. From the Magaliesberg mountains, which extend as far as Pretoria and Rustenburg to the Vaal River, which runs along its southern border, South Africa’s North West Province boasts some extreme and truly wild scenery. Our collection of the best places to stay in the North West Province include some of the most luxurious, family-friendly and best value stays in this wild locale.
The Madikwe Game Reserve is a real gem, whilst Pilanesberg boasts superlative wildlife spotting and is very accessible, just a four-drive from Johannesburg. For an all-out luxury African safari experience, some of its five-star lodges can’t be beaten.
WHAT NOT TO MISS
- Take a detour off the N4, via Magaliesberg, and revel in a hang-gliding, hot air ballooning, or zip-lining excursion.
- South Africa’s answer to Las Vegas, have a flutter and explore the glittering lights of Sun City.
- Spot lions, elephants, and much more in the Madikwe Game Reserve, South Africa’s fourth-largest reserve, covering 760 sq km of bushveld, savannah, grassland, and forest along the edge of the Kalahari Desert.
- Visit the cultural villages and experience the culture of the local BaTswana, Ndebele, and Sotho people, evident throughout in their colourful art, beadwork, pottery, homes, and music.
- Easily accessible from Johannesburg and Pretoria, the Pilanesberg National Park is a superb place to experience South Africa’s big cats, in a very convenient location, yet far less frequented than the Kruger Park.
Our collection of the best places to stay in the North West Province include something for couples, families, and every budget.
BEST PLACES TO STAY IN NORTH WEST PROVINCE
FOR A GREAT VALUE STAY
- Stylish rooms at a very inviting price, Bakubung Bush Lodge ticks all the boxes. There’s a pool, tennis courts, and several dining options – excellent value.
GREAT FOR COUPLES
- Laidback luxury with an extensive wellness menu, guests will find total relaxation at Madikwe Hills Private Game Lodge as well as some impressive wildlife spotting.
- One of this boutique chain’s most luxurious properties, aha Shepherd's Tree Lodge, provides a well-priced stay, ideal for couples, with an enormous pool and gourmet dining.
- Very luxurious thatched huts, complete with billowing hour-posters, Madikwe Safari Lodge, is an opulent safari stay. From game drives, a massage out on your terrace, to relaxing in your private pool, there are plenty of ways to relax.
FOR A FAMILY STAY
- Plenty of space to spread out, each of aha Ivory Tree’s 63-rooms includes a private terrace as well as a large pool and very comfortable accommodation. Dine under the stars – explore the great outdoors.
- Great for all ages, Tuningi Safari Lodge has a kids’ club, excellent safari options, as well as an immersive spa. A very luxurious stay that all the family will enjoy.
- Indoor-outdoor living in this traditional thatched-style lodge, aha Thakadu River Camp is a rustic stay with excellent wildlife spotting opportunities, providing excellent value. Great for families.
- With temperatures ranging from 21°C in the winter to 31°C in the summer, the North West Province enjoys a temperate climate year-round, though do bear in mind, this is a semi-desert area, so things get chilly in the evening. Almost all of the state's rainfall is seen between October and April, whilst the best time for wildlife spotting is between May and October.
- With no major airport, the North West Province is best visited by driving from Pretoria or Johannesburg, served by O.R. Tambo International Airport, roughly a four hour drive.
- If you'd like to self-drive during your time in the North West Province, we recommend our partners Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Why not contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in North West Province
Bakubung Bush Lodge Rustenburg,, North West Province 76 rooms from £225
Plenty of activities for all the family, inside and out, this hotel is close to the action. Safari drives through Pilanesberg National Park, day trips to Sun City, or a game of tennis on site - there's so much to keep you busy. Great value, rooms are comfortable and stylish. A great option.Families - Children's playground, plenty of activities, and lots of space to run aroundSights nearby - Sun City Resort, just 3 km away, is a fun day outGreat walks - Excellent guided walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
aha Ivory Tree North West Province 63 rooms from £358
Located right inside Pilanesberg Game Reserve this 63-room hotel provides excellent facilities, comfort, and a great family stay in the midst of nature. Rooms have a contemporary African feel with local artwork and large stone baths. Each includes a private terrace. Dine under the stars.Families - Lots of outdoor and family activities - a great stay for all agesSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolSpa
aha Thakadu River Camp Madikwe,, North West Province 16 rooms from £406
A great lodge, ideal for families, including plenty of outdoor activities, accommodation for children, and private pools. Luxurious tents are located up in the treetops and boast views out across the African bush. Local flavours and Western cuisine is served. A great value stay.Families - A great family stay in a fantastic locationKayaking - Right on the Marico RiverSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolFull of character
aha Shepherd's Tree Lodge Pilanesberg National Park,, North West Province 16 rooms from £448
One of South Africa's aha chain's most luxurious properties, this opulent safari lodge is located within the Pilanesberg Game Reserve. Chic and contemporary interiors, a beautiful pool, and opulent dining provide a refined stay. There's also a spa and an excellent choice of activities.Romantic Break - A great value luxury staySwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRomantic - Good for couples.Spa
Madikwe Safari Lodge North West Province 20 rooms from £814
A family-owned lodge that welcomes yours. This five-star stay is suitable for all ages and offers luxurious rooms and bathrooms alongside plenty of activities. Gourmet dining, al fresco and by candlelight is an unforgettable experience. A lavish and well-recommended stay.Families - With plenty of activities, this is a great family stayBirdwatching - There are hundreds of species of birds to be spottedGreat walks - Expertly led guided safari walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool and private pools
Tuningi Safari Lodge Supingstad,, North West Province 16 rooms from £863
This property has something for everyone. Kids are well taken care of, there's an indulgent outdoor spa, as well as plenty of wildlife options including a special photography pavilion. Rooms are very romantic: four posters with billowing white drapes, fireplaces and private pools. Excellent dining.Families - Excellent kids programme including camping and animal trackingGreat walks - Guided bush walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolKids Club - Fully staffed.
Madikwe Hills Private Game Lodge Madikwe Game Reserve,, North West Province 10 rooms from £1448
Luxurious ten bedroom lodge boasting extensive wellness menu. Rooms juxtapose organic materials, stone and wood, with capacious four-posters and white linens, opening out onto a private terrace and pool. Restaurant quality dining in the middle of the African bush. Superb conservation efforts.Romantic Break - Opulent rooms, indulgent cuisine, adults onlyRestrictions on children - Children over the age of 10 are welcomedGreat walks - Guided bush walksSwimming Pool - Private pools