Search the best hotels in Aracena
Aracena, located in the heart of the Sierra de Aracena mountain range, is a typically Andalusian town, with charming white houses dotted around and a historic hilltop church and castle to admire. The town was under Moorish control until 1251, when it was liberated by the Portuguese and returned to the Castilians, and Aracena Castle was actually built on the site of an ancient Moorish castle. The Knights Templar then briefly took control of the town until the early 14th Century when the Order was dissolved. Our collection of the best places to stay in Aracena range from historic central properties to rural eco-lodges.
Aracena is probably best known as the site of the Gruta de las Maravillas, a spectacular cave system with over 2,000 metres of subterranean passages. It's also a wonderful spot from which to explore the rest of the Sierra de Aracena mountain range, being the largest town in the area.
What not to miss
- The Gruta de las Maravillas is an absolute must-visit. These stunning caves are illuminated by coloured lighting, adding to their mystical ambience, so be sure to remember your camera!
- El Museo del Jamón de Aracena, the Ham Museum, is a top spot for foodies who want to find out more about the traditions and cultural significance of Iberian pigs.
- Head up to the Iglesia Prioral Des Castillo and the Recinto Fortificado (castle) to admire the ruins of these once-great buildings that dominated Aracena's skyline. Plus, the views are absolutely terrific.
If you're visiting in the busy summer months then be sure to book ahead - the best places to stay in Aracena get quickly booked up.
The best places to stay in Aracena
For the centre of town
- Convento Aracena is a 17th-century convent with spacious, elegantly furnished rooms and a lovely spa. Spoiling.
For outside the centre
- Four-room Finca Buenvino is a remote country house boasting a wonderfully secluded setting amidst a hilltop forest. Charming rooms, an infinity pool and a lovely table d'hôte.
- Posada Finca La Fronda is a stylish Andalusian getaway with elegant accommodation - including family rooms - and a lovely outdoor pool with a view.
- La Posada de San Marcos is a lovely eco-lodge with simple accommodation and the Sierra de Aracena Natural Park on your doorstep.
For an apartment, holiday home or villa
if you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- If you're coming from abroad then you'll need to fly into Seville Airport, located 97km away.
- The airport is about an hour's drive away from Aracena so consider hiring a car with Rentalcars.
- Weather-wise, you're best off visiting in the summer - the average temperature rises to 25°C in August.
- This, however, is the busiest time of year. For a quieter and potentially cheaper alternative, you might want to come in spring or autumn instead.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our entire list of the best places to stay in Aracena.
- Widen the net to include all our recommendations in Seville.
- Or, feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Aracena
La Posada de San Marcos Aracena 6 rooms from £74Eco - Ground source energy, natural cork and lambs wool insulation plus rain & well water harvesting.Value chicViews - Great views from hotelBack to NatureRecommended by - Sawdays
A fantastic little eco lodge on the edge of the Sierra de Aracena Natural Park. Simple rooms have iron beds and pretty fabrics. Lovely sitting room bar and fireplace, sunny pool, and lots to do in the forest around. Excellent value for families, nature lovers, sports enthusiasts. See More
Posada Finca la Fronda Alájar, Andalucía 7 rooms from £95Views - Spectacular views of Alájar and the Peña de Arias MontanoBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Great walks - Good for walkers.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Sawdays
A lovely Andalusian styled hotel in the middle of the Sierra Nevada. Contemporary elegant rooms and family rooms with fireplaces and creamy furnishings. Cosy sitting rooms, sun-trap pool, and an excellent table d'hote. A great choice for nature lovers, foragers, and sport enthusiasts. See More
Finca Buenvino Huelva, Andalucía 4 rooms from £104Views - Great views from hotelSights nearby - Rio Tinto mining area, which includes Roman works, a cemetery, a steam engine and mining museums.Cooking classes - Learn Catalan and Andalucian cookeryBirdwatching - Special birdwatching weeks availableRecommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
A remote country house B&B set in the hills of Aracena. A striking pink building with five charming rooms and suites in pastels with watercolours, rugs, and lovely views. Sunny terraces, infinity pool, sitting room, excellent table d'hote and plenty to explore. A great choice for families. See More
Convento Aracena Aracena 57 rooms from £150Value chic - Great value for chic and comfortable rooms in a beautifully restored 17th-century convent in central Aracena.Total relaxation - With a spoiling spa, lovely gardens and charming cloisters- it's perfect for an indulgent holiday in Spain.Sights nearby - Take a day trip to Seville and check out the sights of this historic city.Great walks - There is plenty of great walking around the nearby Arias Montano Rock.Recommended by - Great Small Hotels , Michelin Travel