Search the best hotels in San Sebastián
About San Sebastián
San Sebastián — 'Donostia' in Basque — is a city truly blessed. Boasting not one, but two, of the loveliest city beaches in Europe, it’s also a gorgeous place with a world-class reputation for fabulous food. A lively destination for families, friends and romantic couples alike, the city is full of wonderful accommodation options to suit a range of tastes and budgets. Whether you’re dreaming of a couples’ escape or a relaxed family holiday, our list of the best places to stay in San Sebastián has something for everyone.
Rise early for refreshing mornings on the promenade, which spans beautiful Playa de la Concha and Playa de Gros. The former is a favourite amongst sunbathers and swimmers, whilst Playa de Gros has a well-deserved reputation for excellent surf. Expect live music and excellent people watching from the ocean-facing benches — best with warm pastries and a coffee. Hop aboard a glass-bottomed boat to reach the little island off Playa de la Concha, or venture inland to catch the old funicular up Monte Igueldo for panoramic views of the city and its craggy coastline.
Whilst it’s brilliant for shopping and cultural explorations — including at the Museo de San Telmo — most visitors come to San Sebastián to savour the Basque Country’s legendary cuisine. Stroll the narrow lanes of Parte Vieja, the gorgeous Old Town, to pop into tiny pintxos bars for refreshing glasses of tinto verano accompanied by delicious mouthfuls of fresh seafood or cured meats on slices of warm bread. Michelin-starred establishments also await. Evenings in the city are long and lovely, and you’ll find an appealing buzz at hole-in-the-wall eateries as well as at the best places to stay in San Sebastián.
The Best Places to Stay in San Sebastián
For Seaside Style
- Lasala Plaza Hotel, on the edge of La Concha Bay, boasts a splendid rooftop pool and bar, as well as a modern restaurant with brilliant Basque dishes. Pick this place for the uninterrupted sea views, and the chic contemporary interiors, clad in fresh white and blue tones. Lovely.
- Hotel de Londres y de Inglaterra prides itself on having over 150 years of history. Overlooking La Concha Bay, this landmark hotel has 167 generously proportioned rooms and suites bedecked in traditional furnishings, with patterned textiles and private balconies. Feast on Basque specialities at the restaurant before strolling along the promenade in the evening.
For Boutique Chic
- Hotel Villa Soro is unusual in promising the warm ambiance of a country house retreat close to the heart of the city. Built in 1898, this charming residence has been transformed into a beautiful boutique hotel with 25 uniquely appointed rooms and suites. Kick back in the peaceful landscaped gardens or gather around the crackling fireplace in the evenings. Charming and romantic.
For Families or Groups
- Zenit San Sebastián has 78 modern rooms in the heart of the city. Flexible options with twin beds or additional space are ideal for families, whilst business travellers will appreciate the meeting rooms. Group discounts are also available. Restaurant Su Artean, headed by Chef Juan Pereda, is superb.
- Hotel Arrizul Congress is a four-star hotel offering smart, modern interiors behind a classic façade. Close to the river and San Sebastián's two beaches, it's a brilliant base for couples, friends or families looking to explore the city on foot. Families will appreciate the large suites, which sleep up to four guests. Some have private terraces.
- Casa Nicolasa offers just 11 rooms — some with extra beds or cots for little ones — close to the sea. A simple yet modern guesthouse, it's ideal for those seeking an intimate base with a knowledgeable team who can point out top spots — including lovely restaurants — across the city. Borrow towels for sea swims after mornings spent exploring. Also appealingly affordable.
For Classic Opulence
- Hotel Maria Cristina, on the banks of the river, is a magnificent Belle Epoque palace with 136 lavish rooms and suites. Think glittering chandeliers, warm golden and crisp white hues, and original artwork in elegantly appointed spaces. With two terrific restaurants and a central location, this is an opulent honeymoon favourite.
For Rural Luxury
- Akelarre is a fabulous five-star hotel with with sleek, minimalist interiors and uninterrupted ocean views from its hilltop setting. A beautiful escape for fans of contemporary design, the hotel is based around a Michelin-starred gourmet restaurant, where Chef Pedro Subijana dazzles and delights foodies with his innovative culinary creations.
- Arima Hotel is an impressive, eco-focused contemporary escape with a strong wellness ethos. Expect luxurious rooms and suites with clean lines and large windows facing the forest. Guests will revel in the holsitic approach to wellbeing, with fantastic fresh fare in two restaurants — including vegetarian Misura — and a superb spa.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to nearby San Sebastián Airport, 25 minutes from the city centre and offering flights from destinations around Spain. For international travellers, Biarritz Airport is 45 minutes away, whilst Bilbao Airport is an hour and 10 minutes by train, shuttle bus or taxi from San Sebastián. Many hotels will be happy to arrange an airport pick up in advance.
- The Basque Country is wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Expect warm and sunny summers, with temperatures averaging at around 20°C - 24°C between June and August. Do be aware that this is peak holiday season and San Sebastián is enormously popular. For fewer crowds and great hotel deals, travel in April, May or late September.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Hondarribia.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Basque Country.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in San Sebastián
Best Hotels in San Sebastián
Zenit San Sebastian San Sebastián 78 rooms from £65Local exploring - Set in the charming Amara neighbourhood of San Sebastián, book this hotel as a base for your local exploringFamilies - Families are well-catered to at this hotel, with spacious, interconnecting family rooms availableCity Style - With modern interior design and a central location, this hotel has lots of chic city charmGreat walks - Explore the old town on a long walk through cobbled streets, stopping at the vibrant pintxo bars for drinks on the way
This four-star hotel offers bright, contemporary accommodation in the heart of San Sebastián, on the coast of the Basque Country. With a variety of suites, including spacious family rooms, this hotel caters to all types of guests. Sample regional dishes at the restaurant before a dip in the hot tub. See More
Casa Nicolasa San Sebastián 11 rooms from £90Beach Life - Casa Nicolasa is just a minute from La Concha beach so you can easily spend your days lounging by the seaLocal exploring - This is a great option for those wanting to get to know beautiful San SabastiánCity Style - A chic little guesthouse ideally located on the Pinxto routeSights nearby - The historic Palacio Goikoa is well worth a visit
Casa Nicolasa guesthouse is situated just a short distance from the sea in coastal San Sebastián. It offers chic and contemporary accommodation with parquet floors and all rooms also come with a TV. Whether you fancy city exploring or beach dwelling, this great value spot is ideal for you! See More
Hotel Villa Soro San Sebastián (Donostia-San Sebastián) 25 rooms from £108Foodies - Michelin restaurants dot the city and the hotel is just 500m from the world famous Arzak restaurantCity Style - A country house hotel in the heart of the city offering classic styleGreat walks - Climb Monte Urgull and admire the city viewsSights nearby - Located just a short walk from the old townRecommended by - Tablet, I Escape, CN Traveller, Small Luxury Hotels
A lovely country house within walking distance of the beach. Sophisticated rooms with elegant furniture and private terraces, beautiful gardens and smart living areas await. A charming & characterful base from which to explore magical San Sebastian and its acclaimed gourmet restaurants. See More
Hotel Arrizul Congress San Sebastián (Gros) 46 rooms from £121Local exploring - Located in the heart of the city centre, close to pintxos (tapas) bars and shops, book this hotel as a base for local exploringCity Style - With sophisticated interiors and an unbeatable location, this hotel has lots of contemporary city charmSurfing - Go surfing at nearby Zurriola beach, one of the best spots in the Basque CountryGreat walks - Explore the picturesque old town on a long walk; use the hotel's guide to find the best pintxos (tapas) bars on the wayRecommended by - Fodors
Lasala Plaza Hotel San Sebastián 48 rooms from £122Romantic Break - The rooftop terrace has panoramic views of La Concha Bay and is the perfect spot to enjoy a cocktail with your significant otherBeach Life - Located right on La Concha Bay, this is a great choice for a summer city beach breakLocal exploring - Located in the Old Town, many of the city's main attractions are just a stroll awayGreat walks - Enjoy a stroll through picturesque San Sebastian Old TownRecommended by - Tablet
A smart 4-star hotel set in historic San Sebastian offering bright contemporary accommodation. Boasting a fabulous rooftop with panoramic views of La Concha Bay and the Old Town and a modern restaurant serving Basque cuisine. With easy access to the Old Town this comes highly recommended. See More
Arima Hotel San Sebastián 73 rooms from £142Back to Nature - Set in the verdant Miramon Forest, with interiors inspired by the landscape, book this hotel for a chic back-to-nature retreatEco break - This hotel was designed to run on sustainable energy, meaning you can enjoy your holiday knowing it won't cost the earthFoodies - The hotel's gourmet health-food restaurant Misura and deli café Tilia make it a great choice for foodiesGreat walks - Explore the beautiful landscape of the Basque Country on long walks; ask at the hotel for recommended itinerariesRecommended by - Tablet, Mr & Mrs Smith
This eco-friendly luxury hotel has a privileged location in the heart of the Basque Country. The custom-designed guestrooms draw on the landscape for inspiration, using a soft palette of natural hues and emphasizing natural light. Dine at the hotel's innovative and organic Misura restaurant. See More
Hotel de Londres y de Inglaterra San Sebastián (Guipúzcoa) 167 rooms from £164Local exploring - Ideally located in the city centre great for exploring both San Sebastian and Basque country further afieldCity Style - A four-star offering set in a historic building featuring elegant traditional interiors. A grand stayBeach Life - Boasting an impressive location overlooking the picture perfect bay of La ConchaGreat walks - Take a relaxing stroll along the boulevard and check out the sights and sounds of the Parte Vieja
A grand-hotel standing proud over La Concha Bay. Generously proportioned rooms are traditional in style with pretty french windows leading onto private balconies. Enjoy the famed Basque cuisine in the elegant restaurant. Just steps from the beach, it's ideal for an indulgent seaside escape. See More
Hotel Maria Cristina San Sebastián (Donostia) 136 rooms from £175Romantic Break - Beautiful rooms, trendy cocktail bar, luxury and great service make this a romantic spotCity Style - A stylish city stay, particularly popular during the San Sebastián Film FestivalFoodies - San Sebastian is the perfect destination for a gastronomic city break.Sights nearby - Located opposite the Victoria Eugenia Theatre
Akelarre San Sebastián (Monte Igueldo (San Sebastián)) 22 rooms from £312Foodies - The real draw, beyond the 5 star boutique hotel, is Pedro Subijana’s Akelarre restaurant holding 3 Michelin stars.Sights nearby - Visit the magnificent San Sebastián Cathedral.Great walks - Take long walks along the scenic coastline.Romantic - Good for couples.
A beautifully designed 5 star boutique hotel offering glorious views over the sea. Minimalist rooms feature large expanses of glass letting the outside in. The three star Michelin restaurant is undeniably the draw serving innovative cuisine at its very finest. There is an indulgent spa too. See More