Search the best hotels in Tarragona
An hour southwest of Barcelona, Tarragona is a historic port city on the shores of the Mediterranean. Famed for its ancient Roman ruins, the city has long been a favourite with culture and heritage aficionados, and is a wonderful destination for weekends away from Barcelona. Read on for a sense of the sights, and for our Gurus’ recommendations of the best places to stay in Tarragona.
Spain's second-most important Roman site, Tarragona was once named ‘Tarraco’. Amble along to the 2nd-century Amfiteatre Romà for marvellous Mediterranean views from where crowds once watched gladiators do battle. The Passeig Arqueològic, a walkway along the fortified ramparts, also yields spectacular views. Descend back into town to admire the Museu Nacional Arqueològic de Tarragona’s fascinating collection, and to see anicent Roman tombs at the Necropolis. The remains of the Forum can be glimpsed amongst the narrow lanes of the medieval old town, which is well worth a wander.
Tarragona’s other draw is its superb Catalan cuisine, and you’ll find family-owned cafés, bars and eateries aplenty dotted throughout the city. Whether sleek or simple, these establishments pride themselves on cooking up some of the region’s most delicious fare. One of our recommendations for the best places to stay in Tarragona is also amongst our favourite foodie spots.
The Best Places to Stay in Tarragona
For Simple Style
- Hostal 977 is a chic little guesthouse in historic Tarragona. Interiors feature wood and stone elements, along with crisp white textiles. Guests share access to a kitchenette, and there are stacks of places to eat nearby. A relaxed, friendly little spot with a great sense of style and reasonable rates.
- La Boella, a 12th-century estate inland of Tarragona, is a foodie's dream. A working vineyard, the property also produces its own olive oil. Take gastronomic tours, feast at the fine dining restaurant, and unwind in elegant rooms either in the contemporary wing or the traditional main house. A gem.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly into Barcelona-El Prat International Airport, and travel one hour by road or rail to Tarragona.
- Catalonia is wonderful for a road trip, particularly if you intend to explore beyond Tarragona! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Expect hot summers, with temperatures averaging at around 26°C - 30°C between June and August. For fewer crowds and cooler weather — often better for outdoorsy adventuring — travel in April, May or late September.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Barcelona.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Catalonia.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Tarragona
Best Hotels in Tarragona
Hostal 977 Tarragona 5 rooms from £56Beach Life - Tarragona offers a gorgeous stretch of beach which is walking distance from the propertyValue chic - Chic contemporary style at a very reasonable priceSights nearby - Visit the remains of the Roman Forum dating back to around 30 BC
A chic guesthouse in the heart of historic Tarragona. The design finds the perfect blend between traditional and contemporary with natural materials used (stone and wood), simple furniture and whitewashed walls. Bathrooms are modern and indulgent. An affordable base for local exploring. See More
La Boella TARRAGONA, Tarragona 13 rooms from £115Foodies - Choose from wine tours or gastranomic tours of the region well known for its superb Meditereanean produceCountry Escape - Set on a 110-hectare estate and working vineyard and olive oil farm this is a glorious rural escapeWeddings - With a beautiful backdrop, experienced caterers and plenty of space this is an ideal wedding venueSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
A working vineyard and olive oil producer, this 12th-century estate is a gourmet lover's dream. Rooms are divided between contemporary options in the new building and traditional affairs in the old house. Offering a fine-dining restaurant, outdoor pool and options of both wine and gastronomic tours. See More