Search the best hotels in Balapitiya
A sandy stretch of coastline in Sri Lanka’s superb south west, Balapitiya is a marvellous place to unwind within close range of a whole host of exciting activities. There are plenty of stellar accommodation options here, with simple guesthouses and boutique boltholes to suit all budgets. Our pick of the best places to stay in Balapitiya covers modern beachside chic and charming jungle escapes, perfect for a trip to remember.
Brilliantly located, Balapitiya is within easy reach of both the airport and the south of the island, making for a great first or final stop on a Sri Lankan itinerary. The fascinating mask-makers of Ambalangoda are nearby; architect Geoffrey Bawa’s rural estate, Lunuganga, is well worth a visit; and enthralling river boat trips can be easily arranged, whilst the colonial edifices of Galle Fort — with its lovely boutiques and restaurants — are just an hour to the south.
Balapitiya invites visitors to relax, strolling along golden sands in the hope of spotting nesting turtles and witnessing striking coastal sunsets as the light fades from the day. The best places to stay in Balapitiya offer a wonderful blend of laid-back luxury and local activities, encouraging you to make the most of your time in whichever way suits you best — whether recounting travelling tales over cocktails or dozing with a magazine in the sunshine. Our chosen hotels are popular for good reason, so book your stay well in advance!
The best places to stay in Balapitiya
For beachfront chic
- Kumu Beach is a cool, contemporary ten-room hotel overlooking the Indian Ocean. Soothing shades and natural materials create an appealing laid-back beach vibe. Chill out at the spa, splash around in the pool or devour delicious dishes in the onsite restaurant. Choose this spot for a smart, stylish beachside stay.
For a romantic hideaway:
- The River House is a luxurious jungle escape with just five suites set in thirteen acres of riverside gardens. Suites are charming and cosy, with antique furnishings and lush tropical views from pretty plunge pools. Think private candlelit dinners and long, slow evenings on the terrace together.
For a self-catering apartment or villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend that you visit our online partner booking.com.
- Balapitiya is two hours’ drive from Colombo's Bandaranaike International Airport along the expressway. Most hotels will happily arrange an airport pickup with a reliable driver, whilst intercity Uber is also available and reasonably priced.
- If you are travelling from Colombo, daily trains run from Fort Station to Balapitiya Station. The coastal route is picturesque and trains are cheap, but prepare yourself for a rickety two hour journey! Train also run to Galle, one hour to the south.
- The south-west monsoon is expected from May to June, so trips at this time risk being wet and rainy. The sea is at its calmest during peak season, from November to March. Hotels will book up quickly at this time of year, so make sure to reserve as far in advance as possible!
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to see our recommendations in Bentota, around 30 minutes to the north.
- Alternatively explore our pick of all the best places to stay in Sri Lanka.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Balapitiya
Best Hotels in Balapitiya
Kumu Beach Balapitiya (Galle Road) 10 rooms from £184Hotel boats for hire - Organise a trip on a boat to Madu Ganga wetlands- waterways between 65 different islands filled with untouched mangrove forestsBeach Life - The beach takes centre stage at this secluded spot, palm trees and cocktails, tandoor prawns and sunsets over Balapitiya bayHotel Entertainment - Flake out by the pool in one of the comfortable sunloungers and have cocktails brought to you by the attentive staffMuseums - Visit the Mask Museum in Ambalangoda, a village a short drive away that makes devil masks for local ritualsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A compact and elegant boutique, on the peaceful shores of Sri Lanka’s south-west coast. The interiors have been carefully crafted by Sri Lankan designer Annika Fernando to optimise comfort and relaxation. The small size allows guests to feel cared for and the location is wonderfully serene. See More
The River House, Balapitiya Balapitiya (Welagedara) 5 rooms from £223Intimate - Extremely private and secluded. Only five suitesRemote - Off the beaten track.Wildlife AreaQuietRecommended by - I Escape, Mr & Mrs Smith
Truly secluded location amid tropical gardens on the shores of the stunning Madhu Ganga. The five suites are totally contemporary whilst still lavishly furnished, with near-private access to all the facilities, and butlers will anticipate your every whim. Come here for an intimate and remote escape. See More