Search the best hotels in Beruwala
Dominated by fishermen and gem merchants, Beruwala is a laid-back little town on Sri Lanka’s south west coast, ideal for relaxed beach holidays away from the main tourist hotspots. There is a broad range of accommodation options here, from charming family-run guesthouses to big luxury hotels. Our pick of the best places to stay in Beruwala is a lovely sustainably-focused beach house with a fascinating story.
Home to the island’s first recorded Muslim settlement in the twelfth century, Beruwala is the site of the impressive white-painted Kechchimalai Mosque, overlooking the sea on the edge of the harbour, and many Muslim families still live in the area.
Beruwala is also famously a gem-trading hub — perfect for shoppers in search of something shiny and special. Venture further afield to tour celebrated Sri Lankan architect Geoffrey Bawa’s country estate, Lunuganga, for boat safaris along nearby Bentota River and to explore pint-sized Barberyn Island.
Beruwala is also a thriving fishing community, so early risers will be rewarded with the striking sight of boats returning to shore, laden with the day’s catch. The market is an absolute must-see. Our pick of the best places to stay in Beruwala offers local knowledge aplenty, and invites visitors to unwind in gorgeous surroundings — a wonderful island retreat.
The Best places to stay in Beruwala
For a sustainable homestay
- Amuura Beach House is a stylish family-run guesthouse with a focus on organic sustainability. Elegant rooms and shared bathrooms make the most of natural materials. Homemade breakfasts and dinners are eaten with other guests — and sometimes the lovely hosts — on the terrace. Visits to the family’s cinnamon plantation can be easily arranged, and the beach is just steps away. One for eco-minded visitors keen to experience sustainable tropical living.
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend that you visit our online partner booking.com.
- Beruwala is just over one-and-a-half hours on the expressway from Colombo's Bandaranaike International Airport. Most hotels will be able to arrange an airport pickup, and intercity Uber is also available at a reasonable price.
- If you are travelling from Colombo, daily trains run from Fort Station to Beruwala or nearby Aluthgama Station. Tickets are cheap and the coastal route is striking, but do bear in mind that trains rarely run quite on time!
- High season on Sri Lanka’s south west coast is between November and March. Hotels will be quieter outside these months and offer off-peak rates. Do book your stay well in advance if travelling during the peak season to avoid missing out!
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Beruwala
Amuura Beach House Beruwala (Bandarawatta) 5 rooms from £59Romantic Break - A romantic beach side stay ideal for unwinding with your significant otherGreat walks - Tour the gorgeous gardens of Lunuganga, previously the home of famous Sri Lankan architect Geoffrey BawaSights nearby - Wake up early to see the fishermen bringing the morning’s catch to the nearby marketBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.
A beautifully designed beach house, ideal for a laid-back homestay with a fascinating family and a great eco vibe. Rooms are bright and spacious with whitewashed walls, high ceilings and linen-draped four-posters. Just steps from the beach and topped with delicious food - this is an unbeatable stay! See More