Search the best hotels in Demodara
Situated on the southeastern side of Sri Lanka’s beautiful Hill Country, Demodara is best known for its lush scenery and tip-top tea. With a whole host of guesthouses and hotels to suit a range of budgets, our pick of the best places to stay in Demodara is the perfect pad from which to explore this idyllic part of the highlands.
Set within easy reach of marvellous hikes — of which Ella Rock and Little Adam’s Peak are the most well-known, as well as the much-photographed Nine Arch Bridge – Demodara offers a brilliant balance of tranquility and adventure. Nearby Ella is a tourist hotspot, but visitors will find Demodara retains a relaxed, rural vibe, with a fascinating colonial history to discover. Tour nearby tea estates to understand the process behind some of the world’s best brews, or nab a seat on a Hill Country train for an unforgettable ride between verdant tea-clad slopes, craggy peaks and plunging valleys filled with birds and monkeys.
Think long, lazy afternoons spent sipping tea or, for the more adventurous, walks, bike rides, and waterfall swims – this is definitely one for nature lovers. Our pick of the best places to stay in Demodara will help you to immerse yourself in the region’s tea-cultivating past whilst unwinding in boutique bliss, with stacks of activities just beyond the terrace.
The best places to stay in Demodara
- Nine Skies is a spectacular five-bedroom bungalow-turned-hotel, complete with an infinity pool, croquet lawn and fabulous food. Sundowners with sweeping views over the surrounding Hill Country are a hands-down highlight!
For an apartment or villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we suggest that you visit our online partner booking.com.
- Demodara is 5 - 6 hours’ drive from Colombo's Bandaranaike International Airport. Most hotels will be happy to arrange an airport pickup, and a reliable driver who knows the roads well will make all the difference along the winding lanes of the Hill Country.
- Alternatively, hop aboard the train from Kandy or Nanu Oya (near Nuwara Eliya) for one of the most scenic train journeys in the world. Tickets are cheap and trains are slow, but the journey is an absolute highlight of any trip to Sri Lanka.
- The Hill Country climate is mild throughout the year, and it’s worth bringing a jumper for cool evenings. October and November are usually the wettest months, while the high season lasts from December to March. Do book well in advance if planning to travel during peak season as accommodation fills up fast!
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to explore our recommendations in Haputale.
- Alternatively, see our pick of all the best places to stay in Sri Lanka.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Demodara
Best Hotels in Demodara
Nine Skies Demodara (Demodera Estate) 5 rooms from £315Romantic Break - With only five luxuriously appointed rooms, stupendous views and hideaway location, it's perfect for romance.Great walks - Great walks close by including Little Adam’s Peak and Ella Rock. Speak to the hotel if you’d like a guide — or a picnic!Sights nearby - Jump on a train from Demodara for a trip to Haputale or Bandarawela, some of the most spectacular train rides in the worldViews - Glorious, far reach views over the surrounding hill countryRecommended by - I Escape, Mr & Mrs Smith
A magnificent tea planter’s bungalow, transformed into an indulgent five-bedroom boutique hotel with enchanting views over tea-clad hills. Beautifully styled rooms and suites perfectly combine colonial decor with a contemporary feel and top-notch luxuries. Divine food and garden with pool. See More