Search the best hotels in Hiriketiya
A pint-sized stretch of paradise, Hiriketiya is one of the south coast’s hottest surf spots. The idyllic horseshoe bay is home to B&Bs, guesthouses and boutique hotels catering to a whole range of budgets. Our pick of the best places to stay focuses on properties which pride themselves on the friendly, sandy-toed and sustainably-minded vibe which makes Hiri so special.
Filled with surfers and creatives from all across the world, Hiri is a burgeoning hub for small, independent businesses — expect quirky beachside cafés and bars under palm trees strung with fairy lights. Hit the waves — there are boards aplenty for hire, and surf lessons can be easily arranged — bask in the sunshine or take a yoga class, before partying the night away. Hiri’s relaxed feel makes it wonderful for families, too: the west end of the bay is calm and shallow enough for children to swim, and bars and cafés are more than happy to adapt to little ones.
There’s also lots to explore nearby — Udawalawe National Park, Sinharaja Forest Reserve and historic Matara are all within driving distance, as are stacks of stellar surf breaks. That said, with countless little eateries, gorgeous waters and a fun crowd, it’s all too easy to hole up here and forget that there’s a world beyond the bay. Our pick of the best places to stay in Hiriketiya will help you to do exactly that: unwind in boutique bliss, just steps from the sea.
The best places to stay in Hiriketiya
For a laid back stay
- Salt House is a leafy oasis just two minutes walk from the sea. Airy bedrooms make the most of natural materials, with bathrooms open to the lush jungle. Cool off in the plunge pool, enjoy restorative yoga in the shala, and feast on cocktails and fresh seafood in the evenings. There’s also free surfboard hire for guests.
For an apartment or villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Hiriketiya is three hours’ drive along the expressway from Colombo's Bandaranaike International Airport. Most hotels will be happy to arrange an airport pickup with a reliable driver.
- Alternatively, regular trains and air-conditioned highway buses run from Fort Station (and the nearby bus stand) in Colombo to Matara, the nearest large town (14 miles from Hiriketiya). It’s easy to hop aboard a local coastal bus or negotiate a three-wheeler for the remainder of the journey. Trains and buses are the most affordable way to travel, and the train is especially scenic — though it risks being a sticky ride!
- Travel between August and December for the best waves, or December to February (peak season) for smaller, regular swells — ideal for first-time surfers. This is the high season, so do plan your trip well in advance as accommodation fills up quickly!
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to explore our recommendations in Tangalle.
- Alternatively, see our pick of all the best places to stay in Sri Lanka.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Hiriketiya
Best Hotels in Hiriketiya
Salt House Hiriketiya 8 rooms from £66Beach Life - With beach lounging, surfing and yoga the only order of the day this is a coastal blissSights nearby - Venture further afield: amble around historic Galle Fort or spot elephants at Udawalawe National ParkSurfing - Surf the waves at chilled-out Hiriketiya Bay, just steps awaySwimming Pool - Outdoor pool