Search the best hotels in Pasikudah
Celebrated by many as the most beautiful beaches on the island, Pasikudah and neighbouring Kalkudah are two enormous, unspoilt stretches of sand on Sri Lanka’s little-visited east coast. Welcoming travellers since the end of Sri Lanka’s 25-year civil war, these splendid bays are well worth the long journey from Colombo and the airport. With accommodation remaining fairly limited, our pick of the best places to stay in Pasikudah & Kalkudah includes gorgeous resorts fit for the whole family, great value modern hotels and a tented hideaway situated under soaring palm trees.
The neighbouring bays vary in character: Pasikudah is the busier of the two, with local families thronging to picnic and play cricket on the sand at weekends, whilst Kalkudah retains a Crusoe-style seclusion, empty save for fishermen hauling nets from the water in the early morning and afternoon. Both are superb spots to unwind, soak up some tropical sunshine and stroll along seemingly endless sands.
Water-sports are available and sailing or fishing trips can be easily arranged, whilst explorers can venture to Trincomalee or Batticaloa to admire historic fortifications, or to national parks to spot creatures big and small.
All of the best places to stay in Pasikudah and Kalkudah are right on the beach, offering striking views of tranquil turquoise waters. Whether you’re eager to challenge the whole family to a game of beach volleyball, to unwind at the spa, or to simply forget that the rest of the world exists, we’ve got you covered. But remember, these places are popular, so book well in advance to avoid missing out!
The best places to stay in Pasikudah
- Uga Bay by Uga Escapes offers a luxurious seaside escape. Spacious studio suites are bedecked in red and gold, boasting balconies with stunning sea views. Lounge around by the pool, sip cocktails at the beach bar or feast on tantalising seafood in the evenings, when there’s a wonderfully elegant, grown-up ambience. This stretch of the bay is especially good for a dip.
- Anilana Pasikuda is a smart and simple modern beachfront hotel with huge bedrooms and bathrooms centred around a lovely swimming pool. Staff are fantastically friendly and take great delight in creating romantic candlelit dinners under the stars. Choose a beach chalet for uninterrupted sea views. Also great value!
- Anantaya Resort & Spa, Passikudah is a stellar seaside spot for a family holiday to remember. The hotel’s enormous swimming pool has a designated kids’ section, staff are great with little ones, and there are a whole host of activities on offer — from badminton to beach volleyball to banana boating on the Indian Ocean. Nab one of five villas with private plunge pools for the ultimate family stay — and don’t forget to schedule in a massage for the grownups.
For the ultimate glamping experience
- Karpaha Sands is tucked beneath the swaying palms of enormous Kalkudah Bay. The only hotel on the huge beach at the time of writing, this is the ultimate luxury glamping hideaway. Seventeen generously-appointed tents are kitted out with big cosy beds, portable speakers and free-standing tubs, the restaurant serves superb fresh seafood and there’s a well-stocked games room. Honeymoon heaven.
For a self-catering apartment or villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we recommend that you visit our online partner booking.com.
- Pasikudah & Kalkudah are six hours’ drive from Colombo's Bandaranaike International Airport. Most hotels will be able to arrange an airport pickup with a reliable driver who knows the roads well. Some drivers also act as guides, should you wish to stop at sites of interest en route.
- If you are travelling from Colombo, daily trains run from Fort Station to Batticaloa, thirty minutes’ drive from Pasikudah & Kalkudah. Trains are picturesque and tickets are cheap, but prepare yourself for a long 7 - 8 hour journey!
- Time your trip to coincide with the east coast’s peak season (from May to September) for sunshine and calm waters. Bear in mind that places will book up quickly during the high season!
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include our recommendations in Trincomalee.
- Alternatively check out our pick of all the best places to stay in Sri Lanka.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Pasikudah
Best Hotels in Pasikudah
Anilana Pasikuda Pasikudah (Hotel Development Road) 45 rooms from £57Romantic Break - Couples love the privacy of the villas and the picture perfect beachSailing - Charter a yacht for the afternoonSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
A smart resort boasting spectacular sea views on Sri Lanka’s dazzling east coast. Enormous rooms are smart and contemporary with whitewashed walls, modern art and lovely, indulgent bathrooms. Rooms face a large pool; there's a laid-back atmosphere and you're just steps from a white sand beach. See More
Anantaya Resort and Spa Passikudah Pasikudah (Pasikuda) 50 rooms from £102Families - Perfect for a family getaway with multi-room private villas, a kids section in the pool and massages for mum and dad!Hotel Entertainment - The resort offers badminton, chess, water polo, and beach volleyball- plenty to keep the whole family entertainedSnorkelling - There are snorkel tours offered along this beautiful stretch of coast filled with coral reefs and tropical fishHotel boats for hire - The hotel oganises sunset cruises for a romantic end to your day
A stunning beachfront property in picture perfect Passikudah. The elegant suites, rooms and villas offer modern decor with a traditional feel and are dotted all around the enormous infinity pool. The resort offers fantastic facilities, great food and of course the crystal clear waters. See More
Karpaha Sands Pasikudah 17 rooms from £161Honeymoons - Hidden away on 12 miles of pristine beach, with romantic luxe tents, double ended bathtubs and fabulous foodFamilies - The seed tents sleep five comfortably and the hotel offers a kids menu, kids pool and boogie boardsGreat walks - Wander this almost deserted and wonderfully pristine beach, the only folks you'll see will be local fishermen casting their netsRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - I Escape
A stunning and remote glamping hotel nestled amongst the coconut trees on Kalkudah Beach. Luxurious tents offer double beds, outdoor seating, and creative bathrooms guaranteed to please. The restaurant serves fresh local seafood and curries cooked to perfection- there is no liquor but you can BYOB. See More
Uga Bay by Uga Escapes Pasikudah 48 rooms from £260Romantic Break - With candle-lit diners on the beach and large private rooms this is perfect for couplesSights nearby - Take a day trip to the ancient city of PolonnaruwaRomantic - Good for couples.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Escape to one of Sri Lanka’s most beautiful beaches, kick-back in blissful splendour at this luxurious resort — just steps away from the tranquil turquoise Indian Ocean. Rooms are spacious and contemporary, there is a beachside restaurant and gorgeous pool. The perfect seaside spot. See More