Search the best hotels in Talalla
An idyllic curve of coastline near Sri Lanka’s southern tip, Talalla is a long, unspoilt stretch of golden sand. Unlike its more famous neighbours, this gem remains little-known, and promises plenty of privacy. With Talalla catering to far fewer visitors than other southern hotspots, accommodation options are fairly limited, but there are a range of guesthouses and boutique hideaways to suit a whole host of budgets. Our pick of the best places to stay in Talalla is a modern boutique bolthole right on the beach.
This is island bliss at its best. Spot brightly painted fishing boats tucked between the mangroves on the shore, cows grazing on beachside land and wide-eyed children dipping their toes in the water as you wander along the sand. Head 5 miles west for sublime sunsets from Dondra Lighthouse, 6 miles east for buzzing beach bars and stellar surf at Hiriketiya, or explore historic Matara town, just 8 miles away.
The water at the western end of Talalla Bay is calmest for swimming, and there are little fish and crabs to be glimpsed between the rocks at the sea’s edge. The best places to stay in Talalla are right on the beach itself, perfect for long lazy days spent soaking up the sunshine, and romantic evenings looking out at the lights of the fishing boasts bobbing at the mouth of the bay. An island escape to remember!
The best places to stay in Talalla
For beachfront chic
- Zephyr Talalla is a chic, contemporary boutique hotel offering spacious, minimalist rooms with huge floor-to-ceiling windows facing the waves. Cool off in the pool, step beyond the garden to the beach, and dine on delicious fusion dishes in the open-sided restaurant. Choose this spot for blissful relaxation topped off with punchy tropical cocktails!
For an apartment or villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we suggest that you visit our online partner booking.com.
- Talalla is just under three hours’ drive on the expressway from Colombo's Bandaranaike International Airport. Speak to your hotel about arranging an airport pickup with a reliable driver.
- Alternatively, regular trains and air-conditioned highway buses run from Fort Station (and the nearby bus stand) in Colombo to Matara, the closest large town. Both are very affordable ways to travel — the train is especially scenic, though it promises to be a slow and sticky ride!
- Visit between November and March for calm waters and plenty of sunshine. This is a calm beach best suited to swimming and strolling, rather than surfing. Accommodation fills up quickly in the high season, so do book your trip well in advance!
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Talalla
Zephyr Talalla Talalla (Naotunna) from £70Beach Life - A chic laid back spot just steps from Talalla BeachSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Lively - Hip and happening.
A slick, striking beachfront boutique hotel in a secluded spot on Sri Lanka’s south coast, with a terrific seafood restaurant to boot. Spacious contemporary rooms boast floor to ceiling windows and all come with a sea view. There's a garden with pool and you're right on Talalla beach. See More