Search the best hotels in Weligama
One of Sri Lanka’s most famous surfing hotspots, Weligama is an enduring favourite with visitors eager to hit the waves, hang out in quirky beachside cafés, and sip a cocktail or two as the sun goes down. Accommodation options here are wide-ranging, with guesthouses and B&Bs aplenty to suit all budgets, as well as some impressive boutique properties. Our pick of the best places to stay in Weligama is a terrific, top-notch resort with incredible views over the Indian Ocean.
Weligama Bay itself boasts an enormous sandy beach perfect for long strolls and sandcastles, or beginners’ surf lessons from little pop-up shacks. Ask your hotel to recommend a great instructor or surf hire shop for the best experience. There are bars and eateries aplenty scattered along the bay, while village bike rides, tea plantation tours and diving excursions can be easily organised. Historic Galle Fort is 18 miles away, and well worth exploring.
Our favourite of the best places to stay in Weligama is slightly beyond the busy town itself, offering the utmost privacy in picturesque tropical surroundings. Whether you’re eager to hone your surfing skills, to zen out with some yoga or simply to soak up the sunshine in front of a gorgeous hotel pool, we’ve got you covered. This is a popular spot so book well in advance if travelling in peak season!
The best places to stay in Weligama
Cape Weligama is one of the Sri Lanka's most luxurious resorts, an enormous, beautifully-appointed property with superb service and stunning clifftop views from its 39 suites and villas. Nab a private villa for a romantic honeymoon or a Pool View Suite to put your family at the heart of the action.
For an apartment or villa
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or private villa we suggest that you visit our online partner booking.com.
- Weligama is just under two-and-a-half hours’ drive from Colombo's Bandaranaike International Airport on the newly-built expressway. Most hotels will be able to arrange an airport pickup with a reliable driver. Intercity Uber is also available, and prices are reasonable.
- If you are travelling from Colombo, daily trains run from Fort Station to Weligama Station. Tickets are cheap and the coastal route is picturesque, but this can be a slow and sticky way to see the island!
- Time your trip to coincide with the south coast’s peak season (November to March) for the best of the year’s surf. Most hotels offer excellent off-peak rates, but the sea may be too rough to swim or surf in the off-season. Do book well in advance if travelling in the high season!
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to see our recommendations in Talpe.
- Alternatively explore our pick of all the best places to stay in Sri Lanka.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Weligama
Best Hotels in Weligama
Cape Weligama Weligama 40 rooms from £337Romantic Break - Private cottages with private pools and in room treatments availableFamilies - Interconnecting family suites availableBeach Life - Located right on the Weligama beachDiving - Certified PADI dive school and instructorsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
The long awaited palm fringed resort has arrived - with stunning views of the Indian Ocean beyond the infinity pool. All interiors are elegant with a clean edge and private gardens. In-room spa treatments are available too. Delicious cuisine, good for families or a romantic retreat. See More