Search the best hotels in Engelberg
Engelberg’s Benedictine monastery, framed dramatically by the glaciers of Mt. Titlis, Switzerland’s tallest mountain, helps create the appropriate tone for a place literally translated to ‘Angel Mountain’. The 12th Century abbey once ruled over the surrounding valley, but these days its monks are more teachers, and some of them are all about teaching state-of-the-art cheesemaking techniques - there’s a cheese dairy onsite.
All this adds extra colour to what is an extremely underrated ski resort. The best places to stay in Engelberg include some very excellent ski lodges and are perfect bases whether you want to hit the piste or sample the local specialities.
What not to miss:
- Discover Engelberg's 80 kilometres of downhill skiing and snowboarding.
- Explore the mountain trails of the Brunni mountain area.
- Watch cheese being made in the factory inside Engelberg's monastery.
- Challenge yourself to climb one of the numerous rock faces.
- Unwind in any of the four spas Engelberg has to offer.
As with many of the most popular resorts the best places to stay in Engelberg are quickly snapped up, so do plan ahead and book early.
For a boutique stay
- Ski Lodge is basically named but its 39 rooms are far from basic and offer a boutique experience surrounded by fabulous mountain views. Generous breakfasts are served on the sun terrace or sunny conservatory and there’s a hot tub and sauna.
For a contemporary property
- Berghotel Trubsee is a contemporary hotel with outstanding views. Guestrooms are modern with exposed stone walls, large bathrooms and minimal fuss.
- Bellevue Terminus is a charming hotel right in the centre of Engelberg. Contemporary spacious rooms feature bold designs and modern bathrooms.
- A comfortable, contemporary hotel located close to the centre of Engelberg Spannort Hotel's rooms are light and spacious with balconies that afford excellent views of the alpine valley. Ideally located for accessing the ski resort.
- Hotel Waldegg is a contemporary hotel right on the slopes, boasting stunning mountain views. The smart rooms are light and airy with cosy beds, espresso machines and deep soaking tubs.
For rustic chic
- Alpenclub is a splendid, intimate hotel with an alpine feel. The rooms are comfortable and cosy with pine panelling giving them a rustic mountainous vibe. With easy access to Engelberg's slope, it's the perfect place to relax after a days skiing with a cold beer or a delicious raclette cooked over an open fire.
- Roll out of bed and onto the slopes at Barghuis Jochpass, some 3,938 feet above Engelberg centre. With comfortable, minimalist rooms built to accommodate multiple sleepers, it's ideal for families or groups of friends.
- The Angel's Lodge is a modern alpine hotel in the centre of Engelberg. The spacious comfortable rooms feature pine walls and boast mountain facing balconies. With an attached ski school and rooms that sleep up to four people, it's the perfect place for family or group skiing holidays.
For an apartment or chalet
- If you're travelling with family or a group of friends it may be a better option to book a villa or apartment. For a wide range of properties for all tastes and budgets we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Zurich Airport which offers good connections across Europe. Trains of almost 2 hours run from Zurich to Engelberg with a change in Lucerne.
- Travel in January or February for the best snow for skiing. July and August are the summer high season and ideal for hiking.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Engelberg
Ski Lodge Engelberg 39 rooms from £135Skiing - Large ski area with a good mix for all levels of skiersFishing - Fishing rivers near to hotelViews - Fabulous mountain views
A boutique ski-lodge set in the heart of Engelberg. Large breakfasts served on the sun terrace or in the conservatory. The hotel offers guests a hot tub and sauna, meeting room and business facilities. Bedrooms are comfortable and spacious. Lots on offer come winter or summer. See More
Berghotel Trubsee Engelberg (Trübsee) 37 rooms from £146Romantic Break - Enjoy all the joys of a day on the slopes, followed by a trip to the mountain top restaurantSights nearby - Titlis Glacier is a 5 minute walkViews - Great views from hotel
Contemporary hotel with outstanding views. Guestrooms are modern, with exposed stone walls, large bathrooms and minimal fuss. Take in the vista of Lake Trübsee from the sun terrace or relax after a day on the slopes in the sauna. Self-service restaurant and a jolly bar. Very good value. See More
Alpenclub Engelberg 8 rooms from £175Total relaxation - In winter enjoy cosy meals of Raclette and cheese fondues by the fire, and in summer crisp white wine on the lovely terrace.Great walks - This area has some stunning trails to follow in the warmer months.Views - Beautiful views out over the Engelberg valley.Full of character
A splendid, intimate hotel with an alpine feel. The rooms are comfortable and cosy, with pine panelling giving them a rustic mountainous vibe. With easy access to Engelberg's slope, it's the perfect place to relax after a days skiing with a cold beer or a delicious raclette cooked over an open fire. See More
Barghuis Jochpass Engelberg 25 rooms from £178Country Escape - A charming property 3,938 feet above Engelberg, directly on the slopes, with stunning mountain views and walking trails.Views - Stunning panoramic mountain views.Remote - Off the beaten track.
Roll out of bed and onto the slopes at Barghuis Jochpass, some 3,938 feet above Engelberg centre. With comfortable, minimalist rooms built to accommodate multiple sleepers, it's ideal for families or groups of friends. Sample local bratwurst delicacies from the in house restaurant. An alpine gem. See More
Hotel Bellevue Terminus Engelberg 75 rooms from £167Active Holiday - Perfect for an active getaway with a range of local options from skiing, to cycling, hiking and tennis.Country Escape - A picturesque retreat- go for long walks up the Titlis mountain and take in the stunning scenery.Great walks - There are great trails up the Titlis mountain, boasting spectacular views.Views - Great views from hotel
Bellevue Terminus is a charming hotel, right in the centre of Engelberg. Contemporary spacious rooms feature bold designs and modern bathrooms. The restaurant serves excellent food and there are a range of bars on site. Make the most of the local skiing in winter and hiking or cycling in summer. See More
The Angels Lodge Engelberg 20 rooms from £169Total relaxation - After a long day outdoors curl up by the fire with a glass of wine and a good book, or hit the spa for sauna and massages.Families - With rooms sleeping up to four and a ski school it's perfect for family skiing trips.SpaViews - Great views from hotel
Spannort Hotel Engelberg 20 rooms from £215Active Holiday - In the Swiss Alps, suited to skiing, climbing, walking, golfing and mountain biking.Great walks - In the summer and spring these mountians provide a web of wonderful walks and trails to explore.
A comfortable, contemporary hotel located close to the centre of Engelberg. Its rooms are light and spacious with balconies that afford excellent views of the alpine valley. Ideally located for accessing Engelberg's famous ski resort, its restaurant serves delicious local food and wine. See More
Hotel Waldegg Engelberg 60 rooms from £263Active Holiday - The Engelberg district offers an abundance of outdoor pursuits and the hotel is the perfect relaxing spot to come back to.Skiing - The resort offers pistes for all abilities and the slopes are all easily accessible from the hotel.Views - Great views from hotelSpa
A contemporary hotel boasting stunning mountain views, right on the slopes. The smart rooms are light and airy, with cosy beds, espresso machines and deep soaking tubs. Dine on traditional cuisine in the elegant restaurant or on the terrace. Within easy reach of the regions many activities. See More