Search the best hotels in Geneva
Switzerland is the home of the hotelier profession and the best places to stay in Geneva provide a rich variety of proof of this, from the grandest lakeside palaces to (relatively) modestly priced modern hotels. Don’t expect to find many bargains, as hotels in Geneva tend to be full throughout the year, but discounts are to be had on occasion and it is worth doing a bit of research. Our recommendations for the best places to stay in Geneva range from the eye-wateringly expensive - but fabulously luxurious Four Seasons Hotel des Bergues, to the gastronomic, but excellent value Auberge de Confignon, just out of town.
Geneva is not an obvious destination for a lot of people, but it has quite a lot going for it and plenty to see and do, quite apart from its value as a stopover on the way to the Alps. The city is compact and easy to walk around, and the lake and mountains provide a beautiful setting - and they’re easily accessed.
What not to Miss
- The Lake - there are boats along the lake to suit all tastes and there are some lovely walks along its shores within a short distance of the centre to town.
- Then, of course, there is the shopping - never cheap but always classy. In the city centre the two parallel streets of Rue de Rhone and Rue de Marche are the most popular, housing high-end names like Gucci and Valentino. Big Swiss department stores can also be found here such as Bon Génie, Globus and Manor.
- If you walk down Rue de la Confederation, one of the best pedestrian-only streets for shopping, you'll be sure to see shops and boutiques offering watches, wine (the Swiss make delicious wine but don't export any of it, so make sure to do a little tasting), and the latest fashion trends. Plus every variation of Swiss army knife and, of course, the famous, mouth-watering Swiss chocolate.
- Geneva old town is for art and antique lovers. With so many galleries and shops, you can discover the history of Geneva by digging through the treasures and trinkets of the old antique boutiques and find some relics that date back as far as medieval times. The cobblestone streets and old buildings of the area are an architectural delight, and getting lost in the many winding alleys only promise to bring you new surprises and fabulous, one of a kind items, plus some of the best places to stay in Geneva.
For a City Break
- The Hôtel Longemalle occupies a beautiful Belle Epoque inspired building with Baroque interiors - think chandeliers hanging from high ceilings, huge mirrors and beautifully painted bedrooms. The triplex suite has its own amazing roof terrace.
- The Eastwest Hotel is an oasis on tranquil chic right by Lake Geneva. There are 41 elegant, contemporary rooms with all the tech-y mod. cons., plus a small gym and sauna and a fusion restaurant.
- The Hotel D'allèves is a charming, 46 room property in the heart of Geneva. The building dates from the 18th century but the rooms are contemporary chic.
For Lake Views
- The Four Seasons Hotel des Bergues is Geneva's grand dame of lakeside palaces with unrivalled views of the lake from 115 private balconies and the roof-top pool. The rooms are beautifully decorated in brocade and toile de jouy and the stunning spa also has a private hammam.
- The Hotel Restaurant du Parc des Eaux Vives is an elegant 16th century manor surrounded by manicured gardens right beside Lake Geneva. There are just seven suites - all with stunning lake views - and designed like mini-apartments. The Swiss restaurant alone is worth a visit.
- The Grand Hotel Kempinski is luxury hotel in the heart of Geneva, with superb lake views, great food, a top notch spa and a hip cocktail bar with resident DJ.
For the Shopping
- The Hotel de la Cigogne is a family owned luxury property in the heart of the shopping district and the only Relais et Chateaux hotel in town. The 52 spacious rooms and suites have carefully chosen antiques, four-poster beds and interesting art. The restaurant is exquisite.
- Chez Maman Hotel and Restaurant is a luxurious inn in a hip part of town, close to shops and restaurants. The decor is chic, the 11 rooms contemporary and there’s a pretty garden and tapas restaurant.
For Historic Geneva
- The Hotel Tiffany is a chic and luxurious Art Nouveau property in the heart of town, with 65 elegant rooms decorated with contemporary art. The restaurant is well known and well regarded and the bar is glamorous.
- The Hotel D’angleterre is an elegant five-star hotel in an enviable location by the lake and the old town. There are just 45 pristine rooms with beautiful antiques and gorgeous marble bathrooms, plus a choice of dining options and a glamorous bar.
- Le Richemond is one of Geneva’s oldest and most glamorous hotels, with 109 opulent rooms and stunning lake views. There’s a wonderful spa and a restaurant with lake views.
- Les Armures is know for its restaurant - a local landmark serving Swiss classics. The rooms are as traditional as their fondues and the whole 17th century building is small and discreet.
- If you’re looking for something small and private, Le Jour et La Nuit B&B is for you. Just out of the centre of town, this B&B is contemporary and minimalist. There are just three rooms, and you’ve access to a kitchen, yet also close to a great selection of restaurants.
- The Edelweiss Hotel is a quintessentially Swiss hotel and restaurant with mountain chalet decor and traditional Swiss cuisine. Think wood-lined rooms and fireplaces. There are family rooms and babysitting services offered.
- The Hotel Kipling is a bright, modern, 62 room hotel with exotic influences. Some of the rooms have kitchenettes and Nespresso machines, and kids get breakfast for free! The hotel also arranges free use of public transport and you’re just eight minutes walk from the lake and the beach.
- La Reserve is an ultra-luxurious but family-friendly hotel in a beautiful landscaped park. There are 102 rooms and suites, and an African influence to the decor, plus a heavenly spa, tennis courts, a kid’s games room and plenty to do.
For Great Value
- The Auberge de Confignon is a gastronomic auberge tucked away in a village just above Geneva. The setting and mountain views are spectacular, but the food has the reputation. There are 14 comfortable rooms starting from around £115 per night.
- Modern, stylish and affordable, La Cour des Augustins is nestled in between the 19th century architecture of Geneva’s historic centre, but inside it’s minimalist, with pop art adorned walls. There are 40 rooms, starting from around £130 per night.
For a self-catering apartment
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment we recommend you visit our online partner, booking.com.
- Geneva Airport is just four kilometres from the centre of town and easily reached by bus, train, taxi or shuttle. It takes about six minutes by train to the central station from the airport.
- If you want to hire a car - which we advise if you’re staying in Geneva and you want to see more of the lake and the alps - we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
- As with much of Europe, Geneva is busiest during the summer months, but the climate is quite pleasant all year round and temperatures aren’t extreme. You’re surrounded by the Swiss Alps, so if you visit during winter you have access to the snow, and of course those beautiful views, but during the summer you can swim in the lake. Autumn is changeable and it can be rainy, but from mid-Spring the days are getting drier and longer and sunnier.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Geneva for you?
Best Hotels in Geneva
Auberge de Confignon 14 rooms from £115Geneva (Confignon)
A gastronomic auberge tucked away in a village just outside Geneva. The locally renowned restaurant and its secluded setting are its main attractions, not to mention the wonderful mountain views from the terrace. Tranquility and local gourmet treats with easy access to Geneva.Restaurant - The hotel bistro and restaurant are locally-renowned and serve traditional dishes, using fresh local products.Sights nearby - Conveniently close to Geneva and the Selève mountain.Secluded setting - Located in a small village on the outskirts of Geneva.Traditional
Edelweiss Hotel 42 rooms from £142Geneva
A quintessentially Swiss hotel and restaurant with authentic mountain chalet décor. Wood-lined rooms with cosy furnishings and fireplaces. The restaurant offers traditional cuisine and live folk music. A great place for families with children.Families - A charming chalet with family rooms, babysitting and cose proximity to both the lake and the city centre.Great walks - Great walks around the stunning lake, followed by Fondue and Raclette by the fire!Sights nearby - Just a few steps from the city centre, within easy access of all the sights.Full of character - Swiss chalet setting, with traditional décor.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
Hotel Kipling 62 rooms from £142Geneva
A pleasure to walk into - a bright, modern and airy hotel with exotic influences. Impeccable rooms, decorated in warm saffron and pepper colours. Some hotel suites have fully fitted kitchenettes and Nespresso machines - perfect for groups or families.Families - Free kids breakfast, family rooms, fully-fitted kitchenettes, babysitting and video games to your room- an ideal family break.City Style - Indies-inspired furniture, with rooms decorated in warm saffron and pepper colours.Sights nearby - The hotel will provide you with a card for free use of public transport, the perfect way to get around.Great walks - The hotel is just an eight minute walk from the beach of Lake Geneva.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
La Cour des Augustins 40 rooms from £127Geneva
Modern, stylish hotel, nestled between 19th century architecture in the centre of Geneva. With pop art decorated walls and minimalist rooms it oozes a cool, contemporary look. Its spa will provide you with a relaxing break from the city and it is ideally located for exploring the Old Town on foot.City Style - Modern, stylish hotel in the heart of this cosmopolitan citySights nearby - Ten minutes walk from St. Pierre Cathedral.Recommended by - Tablet
Chez Maman Hotel & Restaurant 11 rooms from £143Geneva (Acacias)
A luxury inn, dating back to the 20th century, in a hip part of town. Contemporary rooms with light parquet flooring, large windows and sink-into beds. A pretty garden to relax with a tipple and a trendy tapas bar for evening entertainment. Minutes from the shops and restaurants. Very chic.Short fly break - A chic boutique hotel conveniently situated just 15 mins from both airport and train station.Sights nearby - Visit the imposing 12th-century St. Pierre Cathedral.Traditional
Eastwest Hotel 41 rooms from £165Geneva
A little oasis of tranquil chic close to Lake Geneva. Elegant contemporary rooms with rich colours, dark wood floors, mood lighting, and all the high-techery. Delicious fusion cuisine and a small gym and sauna. A charming city destination.City Style - Contemporary décor, influenced by eastern and western traditions within the heart of Geneva.Sights nearby - Located in the heart of the city, close to Lake Geneva.SpaRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel
Le Jour et La Nuit B&B 3 rooms from £174Geneva
Stylish B&B located just off the centre of Geneva. Le Jour et La Nuit's rooms are sleek and contemporary with comfortable, minimalist furnishings. There is a kitchen where you can cook or alternatively head to a selection of nearby restaurants. Perfect for those in Geneva on business.Groups - A perfect spot for families or groups, with a communal kitchen, garden and terrace with bbq facilities.Sights nearby - St. Pierre Cathedral is two miles away.
Domaine de chateauvieux 12 rooms from £180Geneva (Peney-Dessus 16)
A lovingly restored former winery nestled in the heart of the Geneva Vineyards. The beautifully decorated and comfortable rooms offer excellent views of the Rhone river and the Jura mountains. The restaurant has earned two Michelin stars for its unique inventive dishes. Well worth checking out!Total relaxation - Superb food, great wines and luxurious rooms with wonderful views, the perfect spot to get away from it all.Foodies - Foodie heaven, the on site restaurant is renowned for its excellent food and has won two michelin-stars.Sights nearby - Culture vultures must see St. Pierre Cathedral, famed for its lovely architecture.Great walks - Wander through the vineyards, or head off on a longer trek along the river.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Hôtel Longemalle 58 rooms from £213Geneva
Comfort and peace in this beautiful Belle Epoque inspired building. Baroque interiors - high ceilings, chandeliers, private lounges, huge mirrors, beautifully painted bedrooms. The triplex suite is outstanding with its private roof top terrace. Elegant and charming.City Style - A charming and refined hotel, decked out with mahogany woodwork, period furniture, high ceilings and chandeliers.Great walks - Only a few minutes walk to the English Garden and Lake Geneva's shores.Sights nearby - Under five minutes walking will lead you to St. Pierre Cathedral.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Michelin Travel
Hotel d'Allèves 46 rooms from £238Geneva
Hotel D'allèves is a charming 18th century property in the heart of Geneva, only a short distance from the sights. The contemporary chic rooms and suites all come with their own TV and en suite bathroom. A wonderful breakfast is served in the dining area. Perfect for a city break.Local exploring - The perfect spot to explore Geneva, just a short walk from the main sights and ten minutes from the beach!Local markets - Plainpalais flea market is just a short walk away across the river.Sights nearby - Go visit the United Nations, Jet d'Eau or CERN!
Hotel Restaurant du Parc des Eaux Vives 7 rooms from £243Geneva
An elegant 16th century manor situated in manicured gardens by Lake Geneva. A handful of rooms occupy the upper section of the building and boast stunning lake views. A truly indulgent, property suites are designed as mini apartments. The exemplary Swiss restaurant alone is worthy of a visit.Local exploring - Overlooking the lake and less than two km from the centre of Geneva, it's ideal for exploring both city and country.Foodies - Dine in elegant surrounds and sample exquisite creative Swiss cuisine cooked by Chef Julien Schillaci.Great walks - Take a scenic walk through the garden, Parc des Eaux-Vives, or around the lake.Sights nearby - Visit the imposing 12th century St Pierre Cathedral.
Hotel Tiffany 65 rooms from £268Geneva
A chic luxury property well located in the heart of Geneva. Elegant rooms benefit from king-sized beds, contemporary artworks and warm hues. A well-renowned restaurant serves exemplary cuisine using market-fresh produce. Enjoy an evening drink in the glamorous bar. Highly recommended.Local exploring - A chic Art Nouveau hotel, well located in Geneva's bohemian district, and within walking distance of the lake.Sights nearby - The famous flower clock is just a ten minute walk from the property.Great walks - Take a relaxing stroll along the shores of Lake Geneva.
Hôtel de la Cigogne 52 rooms from £379Geneva (Genève)
Family-owned and beautifully appointed hotel in Geneva's heart. Spacious rooms with carefully-chosen antiques, fireplaces, four poster beds, killim rugs, paintings, and soft colour schemes. A romantic mahogany panelled restaurant with exquisite cuisine. Understated elegance and supreme comfort.City Style - An elegant hotel located on Longemalle square next to the Old Town and the lake.Sights nearby - Visit the impressive Saint Pierre Cathedral, a must for any visit to the city.Sailing - For a memorable and romantic day trip take a cruise on Geneva Lake.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Frommers, Relais & Chateaux
Les Armures 32 rooms from £343Geneva
Housed in a 17th-century building in the heart of the old town. The restaurant is a local landmark serving quintessentially Swiss cuisine - raclettes and fondues galore. Traditional rooms with oak beams and stone floors. Small and discreet - a really lovely, homely setting.Foodies - The hotels restaurant, Vieille Ville, has become a buzzing Genevan institution, famed for its fondue, raclette and Schübling.City Style - Luxurorious furnishings, within a refined 17th century setting, all right in the centre of the old town.Great walks - Just down the road is the lovely lake-front promenade, perfect for an afternoon stroll.Sights nearby - Across the road from the iconic St. Pierre Cathedral.Recommended by - Frommers, Michelin Travel, Fodors
Grand Hotel Kempinski 368 rooms from £352Geneva
Kempinski hotels deliver and this one is no exception. No fuss, top quality, stylish and supremely comfortable. Curtain glass walls, stunning views of the lake, minimalist-chic interiors. Fantastic business facilities and indulgent pleasures - hip cocktail bar, delicious cuisine, and fab spa.Business CentreCity StyleLakesideSwimming Pool - Indoor PoolRecommended by - Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel
Four Seasons Hotel des Bergues 115 rooms from £452Geneva
The grande dame of the Geneva lakeside palaces. Unrivalled views of the lake from private balconies and the roof-top pool. Exquisitely decorated rooms: brocade, toile de jouy in soft blues and greens, and marble bathrooms. Stunning spa, including a double suite with private hammam. Truly luxurious.Spa - A range of signature and locally inspired therapies in each of the seven spa treatment rooms. A luxury rooftop retreat.Suites - Nearly a quarter of the rooms are spacious suites, most with step-out balconies and views of Lake Geneva.Restaurant - Serving Northern Italian cuisine, using the freshest regional products.Sauna/Steam - Seven spa treatment rooms, including a sauna and private hammam.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
Hotel d'Angleterre 45 rooms from £435Geneva
An elegant 5 star hotel with enviable lake views. Individually styled rooms exude pure opulence; warm hues, antique furniture, heavy drapes and gorgeous marble bathrooms. Numerous dining options from high-tea, to private dining, and a glamorous bar for evening entertainment. Luxury at its best.City Style - A gloriously elegant hotel; think glamorous evenings over a cocktail and fine-dining restaurants.Sights nearby - Wander through the pretty Old Town with it's quaint squares and churches.Romantic - Good for couples.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet
La Réserve 102 rooms from £497Geneva (Bellevue)
An ultra-luxurious but family-friendly hotel in a beautifully landscaped park. Rooms and suites in African safari style - rich terracotta colours, dark wooden flooring, and imaginative touches. Plenty of activities - a heavenly spa, great pools, tennis courts and a kids games lodge.City Style - Luxurious and stylish resort hotel, with decadent interiors and lively atmosphere, only three miles from Geneva.Spa breaks - One of the best spas in Europe, with cutting-edge medical treatments, a hammam, saunas and steam baths.Great walks - Set on ten stunning acres fronting Lake Geneva, there are plenty of walks through the grounds.Swimming Pool - Outdoor and indoor pools.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel, Tablet
Le Richemond 109 rooms from £522Geneva
Another fantastic hotel from the Dorchester Collection. The rooms exude opulence and grandeur, affording stunning views out over Lake Geneva and to the Alps beyond. Relax in the hotel's spa or enjoy a meal on the lake facing terrace. A lakeside wonder.City Style - One of Geneva's oldest and most glamourous hotels, where old world charm meets modern style.Sights nearby - St. Pierre Cathedral is ten minutes walk away.OpulentSpaRecommended by - Tablet