- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Book Online Now
Search the best hotels in Gstaad
One of the first things people always tell you about Gstaad is that it’s twinned with Cannes, which gives you a sense of the glamour this ski resort embodies. As well as wonderful skiing and an exceptional array of hiking trails in the summer months, Gstaad offers the opportunity to shop in high-end boutiques or celebrity spot. Gstaad is a relatively small resort, but if you’re looking for reasonably priced glamour you’ll still find a number of very nice options on our Guru’s list of the best places to stay in Gstaad.
Our Guru’s recommendations also include some real hum-dinger five-star resorts with all the bells and whistles. If your budget is a bit more modest don’t worry, you can still enjoy Gstaad’s great skiing and magnificent views and the chance to rub shoulders with the glitterati, by staying in very nearby Saanen.
If you’re heading to Gstaad then there are a few things it’s definitely worth budgeting for. First, take the cable car up to the top of Les Diablerets glacier - which is quite reasonable - and dine at the top, which is a bit less so. It’s also worth going to a classical music concert if you can. This small resort is famous for its love of classical music and there are three world-class music festivals held here each year.
It’s also worth visiting the Gstaad Palace. Even if you can’t afford to say here, this hundred year old hotel looks like a magical castle in a snowglobe, sitting, as it does, above the beautiful village of Gstaad. It seems like everyone who’s anyone has stayed here and the bar is just beautiful, with incredible views. This is where Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald once performed. Have a Scherz-cocktail, named after the owner, or party all night like Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton in the nightclub.
When it comes to the skiing there’s a good network of blues and reds running between postcard perfect villages and their lifts. There are also plenty of places to stop and eat along the way. It’s not all glitz and glamour, there are lots of great family hotels and some really excellent affordable alpine restaurants.
What not to miss:
- Take the cable car to the top of Les Diablerets glacier and dine with panoramic views.
- Catch one of the three world-class classical music concerts that happen throughout the year.
- Enjoy the world-class skiing with slopes for all abilities.
- Spend days hiking or biking along scenic mountain trails.
Just don't forget to plan well ahead if you want to book a room in one of the best places to stay in Gstaad during the busy Christmas, New Year and half term periods. Alternatively come in low season, when the pistes will be way quieter!
For Alpine charm
- The Hotel Christiania is a charming 13 room ski lodge in the pedestrianised part of Gstaad with traditional and cosily styled rooms and private terraces. They have large family suites and a small, friendly restaurant with special kid’s menus.
- The Hotel Olden offers luxurious comforts with traditional style. Think plenty of pine, open fireplaces and free-standing baths. There’s also an award-winning restaurant and you’re within very easy access of the slopes. A perfect indulgent getaway for two.
- The Grand Hotel Park is an elegant, 94 room property with wonderful views and traditional design. The reception areas offer Gstaad glamour and there’s a choice of dining options and activities on offer, including a kids club, playground and games room.
- The Alpenrose Hotel is full of alpine charm with twenty spacious rooms and suites. Plus you'll find lovely terraces and a hot tub and sauna for apres ski relaxation.
- Geniesserhotel Le Grand Chalet offers stunning views from its hilltop location in Gstaad. The simple rooms are decorated in an Alpine style. Eating at the gourmet restaurant is a must and there's also a wellness area to unwind in after a long day skiing.
- The Gstaad Palace is a magnificent hotel with a glamorous, celebrity reputation. There are 100 five star rooms right on the slopes with incredible views and every creature comfort, both modern and traditional.
- Le Grand Bellevue offers five stars worth of magnificence and opulence with fantastic mountain views. There are 57 luxurious rooms plush decor, a revitalising spa, cinema and Michelin starred restaurant.
- The Alpina is another spectacular five star hotel right on the slopes with luxurious, alpine-style rooms and amazing views, They also have a cinema, a wonderful spa and choice of three restaurants.
For great value
- Landhaus is a charming alpine hotel in the resort of Saanen with cosy, pine panelling and 24 rooms, some with beautiful mountain views. There’s a ski school attached to the hotel so this is a great option for families. Rooms start from around £145 per night.
For access to the pistes
- Le Petit Relais is ideally located - you can ski to the door and it''s steps away from a handful of lifts. Authentic chalet on the outside, the interiors are more up to date with sleek modern bedrooms.
- Hamilton Lodge Zweisimmen is also right on the slopes. The feel here is very rustic chic, with plenty of wood panelling and fur throws. Don't miss the wood fired outdoor hot tub for easing weary limbs.
- The Hotel de Rougement is just minutes from the pistes and boasts smart interiors that blend original features with contemporary design. Plus there's a fabulous onsite spa and excellent restaurant.
- Hotel Kernen is a lovely ski-hotel in central Schoenried. Guestrooms have Alpine style wooden furniture and wooden beamed ceilings. Find a great restaurant with regional produce and ski-to-door facilities.
For mountain chic
- Hotel des Alpes by Bruno Kernen is a seriously chic alpine property. Smart rooms are generously proportioned and feature parquet floors, black velvet headboards and uber modern bathrooms.
- Hotel Spitzhorn is a sleek modern chalet, in the picturesque mountains of Saanen. Think wooden interiors and rooms with private balconies overlooking the spectacular countryside.
- Huus features chic designer accommodation, extensive spa treatments and many activities to keep the kids busy!
For an apartment or chalet
- If you're travelling with family or a group of friends it may be a better option to book a villa or apartment. For a wide range of properties for all tastes and budgets we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Geneva's Cointrin International Airport, just 2.5 hours from Gstaad. Or by train, Gstaad is on the MOB (Montreux Oberland Bernois) railway line which runs from Montreux to Zweisimmen.
- The ski season runs from mid December - March end. For hiking plan your trip in the summer months between June - August.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Gstaad
Hotel Alpenrose, Gstaad 20 rooms from £293Gstaad
Friendly ski chalet next to the Gstaad Mountains. Light-filled rooms and suites have wooden panelled walls and charming furniture. There is a choice of gourmet and grill restaurant, plus fantastic views from terrace. All this plus a hot tub and sauna for apres ski. A great stay for families.Families - Family suite, plenty of choice for outdoor fun for all - from a glacier dog-sledge ride to great children's ski schoolsViews - Great views from hotelTraditionalGreat walks - Good for walkers.
Hotel Christiania 13 rooms from £318Gstaad
A charming lodge in the pedestrianised area of the classy Gstaad resort. Traditionally styled rooms are spacious yet cosy; think pine furniture, private terraces and parquet flooring. A friendly restaurant serves up fab cuisine using local produce. Ideal for that quintessential alpine experience.Families - With large family suites, special kids menus, babysitting services and the Alps on your doorstep- it's the perfect getaway.TraditionalFull of character
Geniesserhotel Le Grand Chalet 23 rooms from £229Gstaad
Le Grand Chalet offers stunning views from its hilltop location in Gstaad. The simple rooms are decorated in an Alpine style. Eating at the gourmet restaurant is a must and there's also a wellness area to unwind in after a long day skiing. During the summer you can swim in the outdoor pool.Foodies - The hotel features an award winning gourmet restaurant, La Bagatelle, which also has an excellent wine listActive Holiday - Take advantage of the local skiing and there's also a swimming pool to enjoy during the summerCountry Escape - Situated on a small hill above Gstaad, the hotel offers tranquil country surroundingsFamilies - There are suites available and the hotel has its own children's playground
Le Grand Bellevue 57 rooms from £473Gstaad
Magnificence and opulence abound at this stunning five-star hotel in Gstaad. Rooms are luxury personified with plush furnishings and fantastic mountain vistas. Spend the day skiing or simply relax at the hotel with a spa, a cinema and a michelin starred restaurant to amuse you. An alpine wonder.Honeymoons - Oozing luxorious charm from its Michelin-starred restaurant, to its pampering spa and opulent suites.City Style - An iconic hotel perfectly located in a park on the famed Gstaad Promenade.Great walks - Great walking routes in the surrounding area that leave from the hotel.OpulentRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Landhaus 24 rooms from £145Gstaad
Pleasing hotel in the ski resort town of Saanen. There is a visible alpine feel to the place with cosy, pine walled rooms and mountain views. Perfect for a family skiing holiday with a ski school attached to the hotel for first timers. Also expertly equipped for seminar and business weekends.Active Holiday - The ideal location for skiing, mountaineering, mountain biking and hiking.
Huus 136 rooms from £193Gstaad (Gstaad-Saanen)
Huus enjoys a sunny hillside location in the Alpine town of Gstaad. It features chic and designer accommodation, extensive spa treatments and many activities to keep the kids busy! Head over to the next door chalet for fondue and raclette evenings, the perfect way to end the day. A first-rate spot.Active Holiday - There are plenty of activities available year round that are guaranteed to keep you busyCountry Escape - Huus enjoys a wonderfully scenic location in the Bernese AlpsGreat walks - In the summer months there are some stunning hikes with great views for you to enjoyRemote - Off the beaten track.Recommended by - Tablet, I Escape
Hotel Kernen 22 rooms from £131Gstaad
Lovely ski-hotel in central Schoenried. Guestrooms have Alpine style wooden furniture and wooden beamed ceilings. Great restaurant with regional produce. Ski-to-door facilities and big terraces for a drink after enjoying the variety of outdoor fun nearby.Active Holiday - Excellent choice of activities, from heli-skiing, riding, swimming in the lakes, hiking and of course skiingGreat walks - 30 well prepared winter hiking trails in the Gstaad region
Gstaad Palace 100 rooms from £542Gstaad
A magnificent hotel at the apex of Gstaad's glamorous celebrity reputation. A truly pampering place to stay, with all the creature comforts of a five star hotel and more. Right on the ski slopes, with breathtaking views over the majestic Swiss Alps. Tradition mixes seamlessly with innovation.Total relaxation - Everything here is catered towards luxury and comfort, from the pampering spa, to the plush decor, and excellent service.Foodies - Five excellent restaurants, from the dress for dinner Le Grill, to fondue with a hint of truffle at La Fromagerie.Lively - Hip and happening.OpulentRecommended by - Kiwi Collection
Hotel de Rougemont 33 rooms from £441Gstaad (Rougemont)
A luxury lodge set within the scenic resort of Rougemont, just minutes from the slopes. Mixing traditional features with contemporary style, the rooms are chic, light, and exceptionally comfortable. The modern spa adds to the indulgence and the excellent restaurant offers an ever changing menu.Total relaxation - With an expansive spa using the natural collection Pure Altitude products, and plenty of cosy areas to sip on a drink.Active Holiday - The Alps provide endless opportunity for outdoor pursuits and the hotel will happily help facilitate.Swimming Pool - Indoor pool.Views - Great views from hotel
Le Petit Relais 11 rooms from £151Gstaad
A sleek, contemporary hotel on the ski slopes of Gstaad. Rooms are minimalist and comfortable with lovely valley views. With family rooms and skiing on the doorstep, it's the perfect destination for a family skiing trip.Active Holiday - With ski to door access, hiking, biking and golfing- this is the perfect active getaway no matter the season.Great walks - Enjoy beautiful walks in the surrounding countryside.Remote - Off the beaten track.Views - Great views from hotel
Hotel Olden 12 rooms from £393Gstaad
A charming luxury hotel which perfectly combines contemporary comforts with traditional style. Gorgeous suites feature plenty of pine, open fireplaces and free-standing baths. Boasting an elegant award-winning restaurant and placed within easy access of the slopes. The perfect Alpine retreat.Active Holiday - With a multitude of activities in the area, this is a charming base to come back to after a day outdoors.Romantic Break - A wonderfully indulgent getaway for two; think firelit rooms, romantic dinners and free standing baths.Romantic - Good for couples.Traditional
Hotel des Alpes by Bruno Kernen 11 rooms from £139Gstaad (Saanenmöser-Gstaad)
A seriously chic alpine property. Smart rooms are generously proportioned and feature parquet floors, black velvet headboards and uber modern bathrooms. A cosy restaurant serves up all the alpine classics. Easy access to the slopes and a multitude of activities in the area. Highly recommended.Active Holiday - An abundance of alpine activities in the area to keep everyone entertained.Romantic Break - Think a secluded setting, open fires and candlelit dinners.Skiing - A vast resort with pistes for all abilities.Romantic - Good for couples.
Grand Hotel Park 94 rooms from £469Gstaad
An elegant alpine property with glorious views. Contemporary rooms inspired by traditional design; think pine furniture and exposed beamed ceilings. Glamorous reception rooms to sit with a tipple after a day in the mountains, numerous dining options and a wide choice of activities. Fabulous.Families - A perfect family getaway with a kids club, playground and games room as well as a spa for mum and dad.Country Escape - A luxury hotel in a stunning alpine position ideal for adventure pursuits or simply unwinding.Sights nearby - Make a trip to the world-renowned Castle of Gruyères.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Kiwi Collection
Hotel Spitzhorn 50 rooms from £229Gstaad
A sleek modern chalet, in the picturesque mountains of Saanen. Think wooden interiors and rooms with private balconies overlooking the spectacular countryside. Feast on traditional Swiss cuisine, or unwind by the fire in the cosy bar. The ideal spot to getaway from it all.Total relaxation - Take advantage of the sauna, steam bath and hydrotherapy zone to unwind in this glorious mountain setting.Skiing - Only a mile away from the nearest ski lift, plus the hotel also has equipment hire on site.Great walks - There are plenty of nearby hiking trails, head out to explore this unique countryside.Outstanding location
The Alpina 56 rooms from £694Gstaad
No expensive is spared at this spectacular five-star hotel in Gstaad. With luxurious alpine style rooms, three restaurants, a cinema and the magnificent Six Sense Spa, The Alpina delivers a superb level of hospitality. Add to that its situation beside great skiing and you have a formidable hotel.Foodies - With three restaurants to choose from, every foodie will find something to their liking here.Active Holiday - Excellent skiing on the doorstep and a great place for alpine walking in the summer.Spa breaks - The Sixth Sense Spa has every component needed for a superb spa break.Great walks - There are beautiful walking paths in the area around Gstaad.
Hamilton Lodge Zweisimmen 23 rooms from £196Gstaad
A charming lodge situated right on the slopes. Traditional pine clad rooms have an air of modernity with plenty of light, in room free-standing baths and minimalist style. A well-equipped spa is ideal for unwinding in after a day in the mountains. Hearty regional fare served. Mountain chic.Active Holiday - Right on the slopes with ski to door access, hiking and biking trails and a spa to unwind after.Views - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.Full of character