- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Cheshire
Cheshire is a green and pleasant county, complete with wonderful ye olde Tudor buildings and Friesian cows chewing the cud in calm pastures. The loveliness attracts people who can afford to live in places purely for the loveliness, so the fields are dotted with walled manor houses both ancient, modern and faux-ancient. The best places to stay in Cheshire are similarly varied.
Much of Cheshire's appeal is centred round the historic Roman town of Chester, with its red Roman wall and ancient collection of architecture.
Football millionaires, celebrities and even royalty are attracted by Cheshire's rural idyll, so you never know who you're going to rub shoulders with in one of the pretty local villages.
Most people come to Cheshire for Chester. As well as Chester's wall there is also a Roman amphitheatre and gardens and some wonderful Tudor and Victorian buildings. Chester also has Cheshire's best shopping in one of the country's prettiest town centres.
If you appreciate a quirkier architectural style Knutsford might be one of the best places to stay in Cheshire for you. A wealthy former resident with a penchant for Mediterranean architecture commissioned a whole lot of weird and wonderful buildings. For the best of these head to King Street.
What not to miss:
- Visit Chester's historic Roman amphitheatre and gardens.
- Spend an afternoon exploring Lyme Hall (the set of Pride and Prejudice).
- Walk along Alderley Edge and enjoy beautiful views of the Cheshire plain.
With so many different areas to explore you are spoilt for choice for the best places to stay in Cheshire.
The best places to stay in Cheshire
- The Chester Grosvenor is often referred to as 'one of the finest hotels in the north-west'. Its restaurant, The Arkle, has retained its Michelin star for two decades.
- ABode Chester occupies a building which used to be the Cheshire Police HQ, and the entire fifth floor is Michael Caine's restaurant.
- Oddfellows is a quirky hotel well located for Chester's charms. There are round beds, boutique furnishings, a Michelin starred chef and a fabulous potting shed bar in the secret garden.
Country house romance
- Built in 1816 Rookery Hall Hotel and Spa is a wonderful mansion set in 38 acres of lovely parklands. The interior has been renovated to meet the needs of the choosiest visitors - they even have television in the bathrooms and a glass roofed indoor pool.
- A charming Georgian house with a boutique feel. Edgar House features gorgeous feature baths and picturesque gardens.
For an apartment or cottage
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- The nearest airports to Cheshire are Manchester International and Liverpool John Lennon, which are both about 40 minutes by road. Travel to Chester by train just two hours from London.
- Best time to visit - Chester is a year round destination with each season bringing its own charm but for the best chance of warm bright days visit in the summer months of May - August.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Holiday Autos for the best prices.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Cheshire
Oddfellows 16 rooms from $125Chester
A quirky hotel well positioned for sightseeing in Chester. An eclectic mix of decoration throughout cosy suites and apartments; round beds, boutique furnishings, mezzanine levels, and all the mod cons. Michelin star chef, Mediterranean fare, and a trendy rooftop bar in the garden. Pretty cool!Bar - Fabulous potting shed bar in the secret garden.Foodies - Michelin star chef.LuxuryCity StyleRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa 70 rooms from $129Nantwich, Cheshire
Country house hotel with modern add ons in the heart of Cheshire nestled amid 38 acres of grounds. Award winning spa with large glass roofed pool, sauna, steam rooms and much more. Excellent food.Spa - Award winning spaSwimming Pool - Glass roofed 17 metre indoor poolSights nearby - 5 miles from mediaeval NantwichTraditional
Edgar House 4 rooms from $207Chester (Cheshire)
A lovely Georgian house overlooking the River Dee with clean, contemporary interiors and stylish bedrooms. Lovely feature baths and views of the river and garden. Boasts a mini cinema, library and sitting room. Enjoy English afternoon tea at this stylish guest house hotel.Sights nearby - See the City Wall, visit the Amphitheatre, the Racecourse, Castle and Roman GardensViews - Situated on top of the city walls overlooking the river DeeGreat walks - Walk along the River DeeFull of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
ABode Chester 84 rooms from 195Chester
Strikingly modern property with 84 well equipped bedrooms converted from Chester Constabulary's former HQ, right next to the racecourse. Brasserie Abode Bar for dining and drinks, which occupies the entire 5th floor and features a rooftop terrace with great views!Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.
The Chester Grosvenor 80 rooms from $300Chester
Traditional luxury hotel in Chester town centre. Elegant modern interiors. Restaurant with 20 years of Michelin Stars, bars, spa and gym.SpaSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels