Search the best hotels in Cheshire
Cheshire is a green, picturesque county, complete with wonderful Tudor buildings and Friesian cows chewing their cud in lush pastures. The fields are dotted with walled manor houses both ancient, modern and faux-ancient. Some of the best places to stay in Cheshire have been converted from these old, and new, manors, but our Gurus have also discovered a good selection of pubs-with-room, as well as some chic contemporary choices.
The historic Roman town of Chester, with its red Roman wall and ancient collection of architecture, is one of the first ports of call for many visitors. In addition to the Roman amphitheatre and assorted ruins, Chester also has a collection of beautiful Tudor and Victorian buildings, a cathedral, a zoo, and a pretty river running through it. Chester is also a popular pick for shoppers — it has a large designer outlet centre — and for keen horseracing fans (the racecourse has a busy calendar of events).
Whilst you're in the county it's worth checking out eclectically designed Knutsford, Crewe and Nantwich, along with the pretty, rural hamlets and villages. Cheshire’s location, separating the hills of North Wales and the Peak District is both beautiful and geographically fascinating. And the whole region is webbed by walking routes and cycling trails. Historic sites of interest will break up your explorations nicely, from prehistoric burial grounds, to medieval castles and Cheshire’s canal system.
This part of the world is busy throughout the year, so if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Cheshire, we recommend you do your research and book well ahead.
The Best Places for Stay in Cheshire
For City Luxury
- The Chester Grosvenor is a famous five star choice, known for its mock Tudor facade, and superb restaurant. It has 80 rooms and suites, with varied decor plus a spa and gym, as well as several bars.
For a Country House Escape
- Rookery Hall Hotel and Spa is a rather grand 17th century country house, set in 38 acres of beautiful grounds just five miles north of medieval Nantwich. Though built back in 1816, the property now has one contemporary wing, which is where you’ll find a beautiful glass-roofed pool, plus a sauna, steam room and treatment rooms. There are 70 rooms and suites, in an excellent range of sizes and configurations, and plenty of classic country house style. The fine dining restaurant has been awarded 2 AA Rosettes.
- Rowton Hall Country House Hotel is a grand country house, and spa, in a secluded spot not far from Chester and the Cheshire Oaks Designer Outlet Centre. The layout of this great house hasn’t changed too much, but the decor has, and the 37 rooms and suites exude luxurious contemporary style, and boast large bathrooms. You'll also find an indoor pool, tennis courts, and a superb restaurant. Some of the rooms would suit a family, and you’re most welcome to enquire about bringing your dog.
- The Courthouse, Knutsford is a chic choice converted from a Georgian courthouse just outside Manchester. Its nine rooms and suites feature confident coloured walls and an eclectic mix of antiques. And the grand architecture is memorable for all the right reasons. The bar and restaurant offer a good range of cocktails and a hearty menu featuring the best local produce. The fun spills out onto a terrace when the weather allows, and it’s a popular spot with locals too.
- Oddfellows is a quirky pick in central Chester, with a great range of rooms, suites and apartments. You can expect bespoke design everywhere — in one room the bed is circular, in one there are twin roll-top baths, and in others a mezzanine level to create more space. The restaurant is innovative too, known for its lovely terrace, and Asian tapas menu. There’s also a secret garden with a bar converted from the potting shed.
- The Boathouse & Riverside Rooms is an adults-only hotel right on the River Dee, close to the Roman Amphitheatre. Laid out like the boathouse of its name, each of the hotel’s 21 rooms overlooks the water from a large window, and features a boating theme that runs to oars above the beds, and wallpaper featuring boats. The restaurant serves pub-style fare in a friendly atmosphere.
For a Rural Escape
- The Vicarage, Cheshire is a charming 17th century, Grade II listed pub-with-rooms in a picturesque spot close to the River Dane. The pub and restaurant, which are on the ground floor, have been given a country house make-over. There are 26 rooms and suites, which continue the contemporary country house style, and feature large modern bathrooms. Some the rooms are ideal for families, and the restaurant, is also welcoming for kids.
- The Pheasant Inn is an old pub with 12 rooms, and wonderful views of Cheshire’s green landscape from its vantage point on a hill outside tiny Burwardsley. This is a proper county pub, complete with exposed beams, a vast fireplace, and plenty of oak. The rooms are traditionally decorated too, with exposed stone and beams, but more contemporary fabrics and furniture. Expect plenty of game on the menu, and a relaxed atmosphere.
- The Cholmondeley Arms is an unusual conversion — a Victorian school house turned pub-with-rooms. The pub and restaurant are the cosy centrepiece of this offering, packed with character and one-off antiques, and warmed by the aroma of great food. The bar offering is impressive too. Upstairs there are six simple rooms, decorated with just the right amount of chintz for an old school house.
- The Pack Horse Inn, Mellor is a charming, rural pub on the edge of the Peak District. It oozes tradtional charm and the roaring fires create a seriously cosy atmosphere. The 12 rooms are spacious, bright and done in contemporary classic style. Great value too.
- The Legh Arms is a charming Cheshire pub in the village of Prestbury. With exposed beams and whitewashed exterior, this place really looks the historic part. The 12 rooms vary, some feature original details and four-poster beds, but some have smart smoothed edges. The restaurant, with its menu of traditional pub classics, is very popular with locals as well as visitors. Very close to Hatton Park.
- The Bear's Paw is a recently refurbished inn in tiny Warmingham. The downstairs area is now opened out with a bar and restaurant, with lots of wood and slate, and the 17 rooms above have been neatly finished in contemporary style. A friendly, and affordable choice in a quiet town, and a great base for exploring Cheshire.
- Chester’s The Coach House Inn is an historic inn in a central spot, just moments from the cathedral. The bar and restaurant downstairs have been made light and airy, and upstairs are eight spacious rooms. Each of the rooms has been individually decorated, using a bold collection of wallpapers, and contemporary furnishings.
- No 32 Tarporley is a restaurant-with-five-rooms, which is part of a well known local farm shop. The food is Modern British, with an emphasis on local, seasonal produce, and it’s both an elegant, and gourmet experience. The five rooms and suites are spacious, and decorated with a collection of antiques and contemporary pieces, against a Farrow & Ball backdrop.
- The Bridge, Prestbury is an old coaching inn in pretty Prestbury village, which feels more like a boutique hotel than the coaching inn it was. Its 24 rooms and suites, the common spaces, and the bar and restaurant, have all been refurbished to exacting standards of contemporary luxury: think Farrow & Ball colour schemes, glamorous bathrooms, and well chosen antiques. The all-day every day restaurant is very popular, from its breakfasts, via its bottomless brunches, to lunch, afternoon tea, the cocktail hour and supper. For a romantic break book one of the superior suites with their four poster beds and stand-alone bath tubs.
- With confident decor and a great bistro restaurant, The Roebuck Inn makes a romantic weekend getaway. It has just six rooms, all uniquely designed, but all with a modern take on wood panelling, sumptuous fabrics, and eclectic antiques. The restaurant has a similar look, and romantic atmosphere, and the European inspired menu feels like a treat without breaking the bank. Adult only.
- The Bulls Head, Hale is a freshly refurbished pub-with-rooms, with a large garden. The refurbishment has given the pub more of a hotel atmosphere; there are 21 rooms and suites, some suitable for families, decorated in shades of sophisticated greys, and a contemporary style. The garden is buzzy in the warmer weather.
- ABode Chester has taken over the old Cheshire Police HQ, and turned it into an 84 room hotel, with fifth floor brasserie restaurant affording panoramic views over the Welsh hills and Chester Racecourse. The location, right next to the racecourse, is ideal for local sightseeing, and you can see quite a bit of Chester from the hotel roof terrace. The rooms are large and the decor fresh, varied, and contemporary. Children are welcome and suites can sleep up to five.
Prefer a Private Apartment or Cottage?
- If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Liverpool Airport and Manchester Airport are probably the most convenient options for much of Cheshire. Chester is just half an hour away by car or taxi, or about and hour and three quarters away by public transport. If you’re travelling via London, the quickest route is probably by train out of Euston — it takes just over two and a quarter hours.
- If you want to hire a car we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
- Cheshire isn’t known for extreme temperatures, it’s warm, rather than hot in the summer, and cool rather than cold during the winter, and there’s a smattering of rain all year round, so definitely pack your waterproofs! Cheshire has plenty of indoor attractions, as well as outdoor ones, so it’s very much a year round destination. Summer is the most popular time to visit Cheshire. If you plan to do a lot of walking, or outdoor exploring, then late spring through mid autumn are probably the best times to visit, because the days have extra sunshine hours.
Still not sure where to stay?
- Refine your search to one of Cheshire’s centres — maybe Chester for example
- Refine your search by the kind of holiday you’re planning and consider our Gurus’ recommendations for the best pubs-with-rooms in Cheshire
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Cheshire
Best Hotels in Cheshire
The Legh Arms Prestbury, Cheshire 12 rooms from £75Value chic - Incredibly competitive rates all include breakfast - new rooms offer especially great valueLocal exploring - Well-located for visiting Manchester, Chester, Macclesfield and Alderley EdgeGreat walks - Access Macclesfield's best hiking trails directly from the door. Continue on to Teggs Nose, which has fantastic cycling pathsRestaurant - The restaurant serves traditional pub classics, as well as a rotating quarterly menu showcasing seasonal local produce
Quintessential pub with rooms in a charming village between Cheshire & Alderley Edge. Recently refurbished rooms are fab; certain feature four-poster beds & exposed beams - all boast luxury Vi-Spring beds. The restaurant, popular with locals, serves traditional fare. A good value base for exploring. See More
The Bear's Paw Sandbach, Cheshire 17 rooms from £80Local exploring - A great base for exploring the delightful village of Warmingham and the surrounding Cheshire countryside.Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of beautiful walking routes.Sights nearby - Visit the magnificent nearby Beeston Castle.Local markets - Browse the wares at Sandbach Market.
The Coach House Inn Chester 8 rooms from £85Local exploring - Boasting a fabulous location in the heart of the city’s new cultural district.Great walks - Get out of the city and take long walks along the scenic Wales Coastal Path.Sights nearby - Marvel at the architecture of the majestic medieval Chester Cathedral.Restaurant - Recommended.
A historic inn boasting a fantastic location in the heart of the city. Having undergone a successful renovation the interiors perfectly mix traditional and contemporary styles giving a warm yet unfussy feel. Hearty meals are served in the restaurant and most of the city's attractions are nearby. See More
The Pheasant Inn Chester, Cheshire 12 rooms from £90Sights nearby - Cheshire is castle country so take trips to Beeston Castle and Holt Castle.Restaurant - Recommended.Full of characterViews - Great views from hotel
The Cholmondeley Arms Cheshire 6 rooms from £90Local exploring - A great base for exploring the charms of Cheshire.Sights nearby - Pay a visit to wonderful The Cholmondeley Castle Gardens.Great walks - Explore the nearby Sandstone Trail Walk.TraditionalRecommended by - Sawdays
The Bulls Head, Hale Hale, Cheshire 21 rooms from £92Local exploring - Fab location makes it easy to pop into central Manchester before returning to the tranquil feel of the leafy suburbsRestaurant - Recently refurbished restaurant spans several dining areas. Expect pub classics - brunches, roasts and fish 'n' chipsGreat walks - Both Dunham Massey & Tatton Park are great walking spots, plus interesting historic sitesLocal markets - Known for its street food, Altrincham Market is a must for foodies
Newly-refurbished pub with rooms set just outside Manchester. A multi-room bar and restaurant combine traditional architecture with an on-trend contemporary feel. The extensive garden makes this a great spot for summer stays. Compact yet cosy rooms offer a comfortable base. A charming stay. See More
80 Watergate Street Chester (Cheshire) 3 rooms from £95Local exploring - A centrally located B&B ideally situated to access Chester's main attractions.Great walks - Take a wander down to the river Dee, the ancient hub of the city.Sights nearby - Make a trip to the majestic Chester Cathedral.Restrictions on children - Adult only
Oddfellows Chester 16 rooms from £96Bar - Fabulous potting shed bar in the secret garden.Foodies - Michelin star chef.LuxuryCity StyleRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A quirky hotel well positioned for sightseeing in Chester. An eclectic mix of decoration throughout cosy suites and apartments; round beds, boutique furnishings, mezzanine levels, and all the mod cons. Michelin star chef, Mediterranean fare, and a trendy rooftop bar in the garden. Pretty cool! See More
Rookery Hall Hotel & Spa Nantwich, Cheshire 70 rooms from £99Spa - Award winning spaRestaurant - 2 AA Rosette fine dining restaurant plus cafe bar in the spaSwimming Pool - Glass roofed 17 metre indoor poolSights nearby - 5 miles from mediaeval Nantwich
Pack Horse Inn, Mellor Mellor, Cheshire 12 rooms from £100Restaurant - Tuck into locally-sourced traditional pub fare in the fireside dining room, washed down with hand-pulled real alesCountry Escape - The real deal; perfect option for a warm & authentic no frills English countryside retreatGreat walks - The Peak District is a walking, cycling & climbing paradise; make this your base for endless outdoor pursuitsSights nearby - Visit nearby historic attractions including Chatsworth House, Haddon Hall & Matlock Bath
Quaint rural pub with rooms located on the edge of the Peak District. With a genuine carriage house feel, simple but pretty accommodation has plenty of original features. Public areas are incredibly cosy with roaring fires and a warm traditional dining room & bar. Great-value and characterful. See More
The Boathouse & Riverside Rooms Chester (Cheshire) 21 rooms from £100Local exploring - A chic hotel boasting an enviable location in the centre of the city set alongside the river.Great walks - Enjoy a scenic stroll around the famous Chester walls.Sights nearby - Stop by the impressive Chester Cathedral.Restrictions on children - Adult only
A charming pub set in the heart of Chester boasting 21 chic riverside rooms. The restaurant serves up traditional hearty pub fare alongside a choice selection of ales. The rooms, in contrast, are contemporary with floor to ceiling windows, nautical themed wallpaper and luxurious bathrooms. See More
The Vicarage, Cheshire Cheshire 26 rooms from £100Families - With a games room, a pool table, a library and evening entertainment, there's something for everyoneCountry Escape - Comfortable rooms, in-house entertaniment, lively pub and natural surroundingsFoodies - An ample selection of top-quality food: won 'The Caterers Acorn Award'Value chic - Smart decor of large, plush beds and grand bathtubs
Charming 17th Century Grade II listed hotel and pub. Boasting an award-wining restaurant which uses mostly locally sourced produce. Offering a range of in-house entertainment from games room to library. Decor is traditional and cosy. Perfect for a comfortable country retreat. See More
No 32 Tarporley Tarporley, Cheshire 5 rooms from £110Foodies - The restaurant is the real lure with rotating seasonal menus of modern British cuisineRomantic Break - With plush bedrooms and fine dining, this is a good choice for a romantic getawayGreat walks - Enjoy beautiful walks along the Sandstone TrailSights nearby - Visit nearby Beeston Castle
An elegant restaurant with rooms owned by a locally popular farm shop. The five rooms are decadent and sophisticated with chic Farrow & Ball grey walls, plush furniture, and smart TVs. The restaurant serves excellent modern British fare with rotating seasonal menus. Ideal for a couples' getaway. See More
Rowton Hall Country House Hotel Chester (Rowton) 37 rooms from £121Total relaxation - A quiet location, relaxed service and spoiling spa makes this the perfect spot for a rejuvenating weekend getaway.Restaurant - Recommended.Tennis - Play a game on one of the hotel's own floodlit asphalt tennis courts.Sights nearby - Marvel at the medieval architecture of Chester Cathedral.
A grand country house located in a secluded rural setting yet just a short distance from Chester. Elegantly styled throughout. Expect a choice selection of antiques, rich fabrics, fireplaces and traditional art. A spoiling spa, superb restaurant and family-run ethic makes this a special stay. See More
The Bridge, Prestbury Cheshire 24 rooms from £125Business meetings - With excellent transport links, charming yet modern event rooms & catering, this works well for small conferences or meetingsWeddings - Range of beautiful outdoor spaces, Grade II-listed function rooms & plenty of rooms on-site make this a great choiceOutdoor dining - Heated riverside garden terrace also boasts its own outdoor bar which is a great spot for year-round al fresco funRomantic Break - For something special book one of the Superior Suites; they boast four-poster beds & stand-alone bath tubs
Grade II-listed boutique property in Prestbury village. With a lovely location on the banks of the River Bollin, recently refurbished guest rooms add an industrial edge to the traditional pub feel. Lively dining spaces - indoor & out - are very popular. A fab spot for both events and leisure stays. See More
The Roebuck Inn Cheshire 6 rooms from £130Country Escape - Easyily accessible from Manchester and surrounded by beautiful countryside The Roebuck is ideal for weekend escapes.Sights nearby - Visit the National Trust sites of Tatton Park, Dunham Massey, Alderley Edge and Quarry Bank.Restrictions on children - Adult onlyFull of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
A boutique bistro with rooms filled with charm and character. Individually styled rooms with a French feel, mixed patterns, rich colours and antiques. A European inspired menu is well executed and the portions are reassuringly hearty. A romantic spot for a weekend getaway. See More
The Courthouse, Knutsford Knutsford, Cheshire 9 rooms from £164Romantic Break - Beautifully designed rooms feel cosy and of the moment. Spoil yourself with drinks and dinner 'a deux' before heading upstairsWeddings - Super spot for intimate weddings that combine striking architecture with contemporary amenities & an of-the-moment feelRestaurant - Hearty dishes made with locally-sourced ingredients & craft cocktails are on offer in this convivial contemporary spaceSights nearby - Tatton Park, one of the UK's most compete historic estates, is walking distance
On-trend hotel situated in stunning Georgian courthouse just outside Manchester. A lively restaurant and bar — including fab outdoor options with live music — are very popular with locals. Stylish rooms marry muted tones and antique furnishings with fun eclectic touches. A modern boutique gem. See More
ABode Chester Chester 84 rooms from 195Restaurant - Recommended.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.
The Chester Grosvenor Chester 80 rooms from £230Foodies - Arkle has been awarded 3AA RosettesRestaurant - Choose between fine dining restaurant Arkle or The Brasserie for a more low-key experienceSights nearby - Well located for major sights.SpaRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels