- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Chester-le-Street
It sounds like a funny name for a town, but the ‘Chester’ part refers to a Roman fort and the ‘Street’ was the Roman road the fort sat beside in around 100AD. So it’s literal and historic, if not very romantic. The name evokes the town’s history, but Chester-le-Street’s present, as a town seven miles south of Newcastle just inland from Sunderland and north of Durham, is that of a modern market town. With Tuesday, Friday and Saturday markets Chester-le-Street was at one stage the home of the Bishop of Lindisfarne and the centre of Christian Britain. But what the history books fail to mention is that the town is also in a really pretty spot with the best places to stay in Chester-Le-Street allowing visitors to make the most of the beautiful scenery.
What Not To Miss
- The picturesque cricket ground that is home to Durham County and the venue for test matches.
- Marvel at the magnificent Church of St Mary and St Cuthbert with its tall exposed-timber ceilings, the church also plays host to exhibits and a copy of the Lindisfarne Gospel.
- Enjoy a stroll around Riverside Park - an ideal area to bring the family with playparks and a kiosk selling various food items.
- Step back in history with a visit to Beamish Museum, an interactive museum that really is like travelling back to North-East England from the 1820's - 1940's. There's everything from traditional food to a steam train making it great for all the family.
Most of our Guru’s top picks for the best places to stay in Chester-le-Street are on the outskirts of town, and include the historic Lumley Castle.
For a regal experience
- Lumley Castle has the kind of towers and crenelations loved by those who illustrate books about King Arthur and interiors to match. Think bedrooms in towers, thick walls, four-poster beds, lavish decorations and a vaulted dining hall in which staff in costume serve evening banquets.
- Between Chester-le-Street and Durham, the Ramside Hall Hotel is a 130 room family friendly resort hotel with spreading grounds a swanky spa and fitness centre and a choice of dining.
For an apartment or cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a charming property just outside the centre of town, perfect for relaxing or exploring.
- Fly to Newcastle International Airport located 27km (17 miles) from Chester Le Street with flight connections to the UK and Europe.
- Catch a train to Chester Le Street train station with rail links to major destinations including Newcastle and Manchester.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the town and countryside beyond - for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - the summer months from June to early September to make the most of the walking routes and outdoor activities.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Chester-le-Street
Lumley Castle 73 rooms from 132Chester-le-Street (County Durham)
A picture-book castle that oozes atmosphere, from the tower bedrooms to the vaulted dining room. Expect thick walls, lavish decorations, four-poster beds, plus a touch of drama with the costumed staff and evening banquets.Sights nearby - Durham Cathedral and Castle are architecturally impressive and historically interesting.Fishing - Catch a fish supper in the nearby River Wear.Full of characterFour poster beds - For romantics.