Search the best hotels in Newcastle
Built right on the River Tyne, Newcastle was once the capital of the UK's shipbuilding industry - and a mining powerhouse. But despite the collapse of both of these industries in the 20th Century, Newcastle today is a thriving, buzzy city, with a reputation for having the best nightlife in the UK. Our pick of the best places to stay in Newcastle are varied with a choice of hip contemporary stays right in the heart of the city or converted historical buildings for traditionalists!
The regeneration of the quayside area into the Baltic Arts Centre, Norman Foster's Sage Gateshead Music Centre, smart offices and eateries, and the construction of the Millennium Bridge, has brought a cosmopolitan feel to the city. But if you're looking for historic Newcastle you can still find it in the centre of town, around the Grainger's Market area.
Just out of the city you can also see traces of Hadrian's Wall. Or if the seaside is more your thing, the coast is only a few miles to the East and easily accessible both by road and public transport.
The city offers a wide range of accommodation and our pick of the best places to stay in Newcastle focuses on the hotels that offer the best in terms of both service and design.
The Best Places to stay in Newcastle
For a city break
- Malmaison is right beside the Millennium Bridge and one of the best places to stay in Newcastle if you're here for a short break. A hip establishment created from what was once the head office of the Co-op, bedrooms are dark and seductive whilst the bar and restaurant are open till the early hours.
- Newcastle's Hotel du Vin is also right on the edge of the action, in a red brick building tastefully converted into a 42 bedroom boutique hotel. Book a suite and you'll get an enormous space reminiscent of a warehouse loft. A ten-minute waterside walk will have you in the heart of the nightlife action.
- Grey Street Hotel is a cool and sleek boutique hotel in a handsome Georgian building in a superb city-centre position. Rooms are smart, modern and fuss-free, plus there's a small beauty spa. An ideal city crash pad.
- Sleeperz is a stylish contemporary hotel located just minutes from the Central Station. Minimalist style rooms feature expanses of glass, polished parquet floors and all mod cons. Offered at very good rates this is the perfect city crash pad.
For a traditional stay
- The Vermont Hotel offers a central location with views of the river in an historic building, with grand public rooms in a contemporary style. Complete with an excellent restaurant and renowned for its afternoon teas, this is a great choice for a quintessentially British stay.
For a boutique
- The Townhouse Hotel is a chic boutique property in a smart Newcastle suburb. Individually styled rooms feature bold wallpapers, large headboards and contemporary bathrooms. Great for an intimate stay.
For great value
- The Cairn Hotel, part of The Cairn Collection, is a smoothly run operation with on-point design. A Pan-Asian restaurant is popular with the locals and Jesmond's restaurants and bars are just a stroll away. It's superb value for money too!
For a special occasion
- The Hotel Guru favourite is Jesmond Dene House, a grand property with a country house hotel look about it from the outside and full contemporary styling on the inside. Add to this a restaurant serving award-winning 3 AA Rosette cuisine and you have the perfect city bolthole.
For a nearby rural stay
- Eslington Villa is a smart rural property sitting in two acres of picturesque gardens on the outskirts of Newcastle. With an award winning restaurant and ever-friendly staff, this a hot choice for city escapes!
For An Apartment
- If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- For the warmest weather you should visit Newcastle during the summer months! That said, it's never exactly balmy - with the average temperature climbing to a mere 14°C in August.
- Fly into Newcastle International Airport, located 5 miles northwest of the city, which is served by a number of both domestic and mainland European carriers.
- From here, hop on a metro to the city centre (Haymarket, Monument or Central Station), which takes around 25 minutes.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Newcastle
The Cairn Hotel Newcastle 43 rooms from £50Value chic - Just 10 minutes from the city centre and undeniably stylish, this is a well priced hotel worth checking into.Sights nearby - Marvel at the architecture of the medieval Castle Keep.
Part of The Cairn Collection this is a smoothly run operation with on-point design. Rooms are uniformly styled and have a minimalist feel - wooden floors, crisp white linen and large windows. A Pan-Asian restaurant is popular with the locals and Jesmond's restaurants and bars are just a stroll away. See More
Grey Street Hotel Newcastle (Tyne and Wear) 49 rooms from £75City Style - A chic hotel located on arguably the city's best street and boasting a small spa too.Sights nearby - Make a trip to view the famed Angel of the North.Romantic - Good for couples.Spa
The Vermont Hotel Newcastle (Tyne and Wear) 101 rooms from £76Sights nearby - Discover the city's majestic medieval Castle Keep.Views - Great views from hotelFull of characterOpulent
If you want a central location with views of the river, this hotel is hard to beat. An historic building, with grand public rooms in a contemporary style. The best bedrooms overlook the river with its famous bridges. A choice of eating options, including exemplary dinners and delightful high-teas. See More
The Townhouse Hotel Newcastle (Gosforth) 10 rooms from £90Local exploring - Just 10 minutes from the city centre yet set in a quiet upmarket suburb.Sights nearby - Make a trip to marvel at the famed Angel of the North.Traditional
Eslington Villa Newcastle (Low Fell) 18 rooms from £99Country Escape - A rural property located in Newcastle's suburbs. Ideal for a break from the city.Great walks - Take long walks along the coastal paths.TraditionalRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Sleeperz Newcastle 99 rooms from £112Value chic - A sleek city hotel offered at very reasonable rates.Sights nearby - Discover the medieval Castle Keep located in the heart of the historic city.
A stylish contemporary hotel located just minutes from the Central Station. Minimalist style rooms feature expanses of glass, polished parquet floors and all mod cons. Sleek family rooms are available and there is a great restaurant. Offered at very good rates this is the perfect city crash pad. See More
Malmaison Newcastle Newcastle 122 rooms from £115City Style - Stylish, modern hotel with excellent central locationGreat walks - Walk along the nearby Tyne RiverLocal markets - Tyne Market at the weekendsSpa
A trendy converted warehouse on the Quayside with views of the Tyne River, the Millennium Bridge and the Sage Gateshead. Luxurious purples create a lavish feel with the help of dim lighting and sparkly chandeliers. A stylish spot with decadent brasserie, laid back cocktail bar and underground spa. See More
Jesmond Dene House Hotel Newcastle 40 rooms from £117Total relaxation - Unwind in country estate style with impeccable service, fine dining, roaring fires and long walks through lush parklands.Foodies - The 2 AA Rosette restaurant serves up locally sourced, seasonal cusine to the highest standard.Great walks - Walk through the Jesmond Dene Park, a wooded ravine criss-crossed with paths and dotted with rustic bridges.Sights nearby - Close to city centre attractions including the The Sage Gateshead and Newcastle Arena.Recommended by - Tablet, Good Hotel Guide
Hotel du Vin Newcastle Newcastle (City Road) 42 rooms from £142City Style - Stylish accommodation in the heart of this vibrant cityLocal exploring - Central location - get about town with easeLocal markets - Visit Tynemouth Market nearbyGreat walks - Walk along the Tyne RiverRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
A boutique hotel with spacious guest rooms, modern interiors and views of the nearby quayside. Set slightly outside the lively city centre, the hotel has a number of meeting rooms and good event spaces. A great spot for business events or a weekend break in this exciting city. See More