Search the best hotels in Derbyshire
Derbyshire is a county of dramatic contrasts and breath-taking beauty. Wedged between Derby, Sheffield and Manchester, the Peak District is its crowning glory. The Pennine Way, a national trail in northern Derbyshire is a spectacular way to experience the English highlands. This, along with short treks exploring the dales, mysterious henges and woodlands attract visitors from all over the country. The best places to stay in Derbyshire offer great bases to explore these landscapes and enjoy the countryside activities of Derbyshire.
The magnificent flat peaks, and windswept moorlands shrouded in mist has inspired our best-loved authors, Charlotte Bronte and Jane Austen. Jane Eyre, Bronte’s most well-known piece of writing was set in the village of Hathersage, and the famed Chatsworth House, inspiration for Pemberley in Austen’s Pride and Prejudice, are both in the Peak District.
And while you’re there, don’t forget to experience the local delicacies and delicious deserts!
Some of our Derbyshire collections
Take a look at our entire Derbyshire collection with specials highlights on the Peak District and the best pub stays.
- Best places to stay in the Peak District
- 10 of the Best Pubs with Rooms in Derbyshire
- The Best Places to Stay in Derby
- The Best Places to Stay in Buxton
- Accommodation with hot tubs in the Peak District
- Dog friendly hotels in the Peak District
- The best spa hotels in the Peak District
- Where to stay in the Peak District
What not to miss
- Dovedale, a valley in the Peak District, is best known for its limestone dales defined by narrow gorges, hump backed bridges, crystal clear brooks and drystone walls. The valley also lets you experience a magnificent view of neat fields and pristine pastureland as far as the eye can see.
- Visit the modest villages of Alstonefield, Tissington and Hartington. Here you will find charming little country pubs with coal fires and casket ales, a perfect stop off for your hike or trek.
- The market town of Ashbourne is delightful (with a proper country market), whilst the Georgian spa town Buxton is the home of the flourishing Buxton Opera, producing over 450 shows during the year.
- There are magnificent stately homes and gardens to visit in Chatsworth, Haddon Hall, Hardwick Hall, Calke Abbey, Sudbury and Tissington Hall.
- For the more sedate visitor, the Peak Railway from Matlock to Rowsley takes passengers by steam train through a slice of perfect English countryside.
- Explore the deep underground caves and disused mines around Castleton.
- And to round it all off, take a bite of the delicious Bakewell tarts for tea from one of Bakewell’s famous tearooms.
The range of accommodation here is wide, but our selection of the best places to stay in Derbyshire concentrates on properties with great service, many of which also boast superb food and much more.
The Best Places to Stay in Derbyshire
The Best Value Places to Stay in Derbyshire
If you want to enjoy this beautiful county, but not pay top prices then our selection of the best places to stay in Derbyshire can certainly assist. We'd suggest you look at:
- The Priest House Hotel is ideal if you're planning a visit to Alton Towers or Donnington Park. The contemporary classic styled rooms start from as little as £85 per night and there's 2 AA Rosette standard fine dining.
The Best Pubs with Rooms in Derbyshire
- Both close to the Chatsworth Estate, the Devonshire Arms at Pilsley and the Devonshire Arms at Beeley are stylish country pubs decorated with antiques and ornaments. Specially designed by the Duchess of Devonshire, the pubs have cosy rooms and great bathrooms. They also offers mouth-watering meals and walks around the Chatsworth Estate.
The Best Places to Stay in Derbyshire for Luxury
- The Peacock at Rowsley boasts a stylish mix of traditional and contemporary and has a well-earned reputation for superb food. A great location for lovers of country pursuits looking for a classy bed to come back to.
- The Cavendish Hotel is a country house hotel on the edge of the Chatsworth Estate. Here you'll find classic, luxurious style and breath-taking views, plus award winning food in the restaurant.
- Fischer’s Baslow Hall is an imposing manor house with quaintly traditional interiors with chintz fabrics, floral motifs and antique furniture. The attached Michelin starred restaurant boasts a wonderful dining experience with great food and the best service.
For stunning countryside
- Stanshope Hall occupies an awe inspiring location close to Dovedale. The 17th century manor house is very much a family home, but offers three rooms for guests. Wonderful for walkers, or simply those who want to enjoy the view.
- The George Hotel is a 500 year old coaching in the village of Hathersage - Jane Eyre territory - in the north of the Peak District National Park. The outstanding countryside is all around, with walking on the doorstep. Pampering luxury and delicious 2 AA Rosette standard food awaits after a day in the great outdoors.
- The Kedleston Country House is a beautiful Georgian building that offers chic, individually designed rooms, a garden terrace and a large, magnificent dining hall. The location is ideal for exploring the nearby sights and long walks through the Derbyshire countryside.
- The Old Hall Hotel is an ancient ivy-clad hotel situated in the old town of Buxton. The rooms feature a traditional setting with heavy draped curtains and four poster beds. This haunt is wonderful for an antique British experience and a great base to discover the delights of the Peak District on foot.
Prefer a holiday cottage?
- If you've decided that you'd prefer to book a villa or apartment, we recommend you visit our online booking partner, Booking.com, where you'll find a wide range from budget to boutique.
- The nearest airports to Derbyshire are Manchester Airport and East Midlands Airport.
- There are direct trains from major cities that take you to Derby or Chesterfield. For train times, call the National Rail Enquires.
- To enjoy lavish countryside drives, hire a car from our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure where to book?
- Check out our selection of the best places to stay in Derbyshire and start to plan your visit.
- Alternatively widen the remit and take a look at our Yorkshire collections.
- or contact, one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Derbyshire
Best Hotels in Derbyshire
The Coach House Darley Abbey Derby 7 rooms from £44Historic - Mile Ash House was built in 1860 as a gentleman's residence and still has the original stables to the rearGarden - Both properties feature lovely garden and patioGreat walks - Lovely walks along adjacent river into the villageSights nearby - Close to many National Trust properties
The Coach House is a boutique bed and breakfast located in the heart of Derby. Featuring seven rooms split across two historic buildings with hunting lodge themed interiors, an impressive mahogany bar and luscious surrounding gardens. Extra beds for junior guests can be provided. See More
The Boot Repton, Derbyshire 9 rooms from £75Value chic - With standard doubles from as little as £75 per night, The Boot is superb value for money.Historic - This former coaching inn dates back to 1649Restaurant with rooms - Onsite brewery, bar and restaurant make wining and dining at the heart of this innSights nearby - Close proximity to Repton school, Catherdral and lots of Saxon heritage sights
A 17th century coaching inn with an onsite micro-brewery. This recently refurbished guest house and restaurant offers 9 light filled rooms in old country house style. The Boot offers fine wining and dining amongst traditional features including oak beams, original fireplaces and sash windows. See More
The Devonshire Arms at Pilsley Pilsley, Derbyshire 7 rooms from £79Great walks - Extensive walks around the estate.Sights nearby - Close to Chatsworth.Restaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Sawdays
The Priest House Hotel Castle Donington, Derbyshire 42 rooms from £85Sights nearby - Close to Alton Towers, Donington Park racing circuit and much more.Great walks - Easy acess to the Peak District National ParkViews - The hotel overlooks the River TrentTraditional
The Lamb Inn Chinley, Derbyshire 3 rooms from £95Full of characterRestaurant - Recommended.Traditional
An historic inn which oozes atmosphere, in the heart of the Peak District. Three rooms have recently been renovated and are light and airy with sink-into beds and contemporary bathrooms. Downstairs is much more traditional with roaring fires, hearty food in the restaurant and a very warm welcome. See More
The Farmhouse at Mackworth Derby (Mackworth) 10 rooms from £95Designer - Colourful chairs, exposed brick walls and mismatched furniture give this hotel a contemporary, designer touchLively - A playlist of club classics, champagne, cocktails and big groups give the bar a very lively feelCountry Escape - Just a stones throw away from the Peak District, this is a chic rural retreatWeddings - Boasting an impressive venue 'The Folly', licensed for ceremonies
Recently refurbished 18th Century farmhouse now boasting cool, slick decor. Rooms are light and airy with soft pastel hues, indulgent bathrooms, contemporary artworks and sink-into beds. Dine on modern British fare, sample regional ales and spend days exploring the beautiful Peak District. See More
Glendon B&B Matlock, Derbyshire 5 rooms from £95Active Holiday - With cycle storage and easy hiking and cycle route access, this hotel is perfect for an active holiday in the Peak DistrictLocal exploring - Ideally located between the town, the train station and trekking or cycle routes, this hotel is great for local exploringCountry Escape - Set on the cusp of Hall Leys park in the charming town of Matlock, book this hotel for an idyllic escape to the countryGreat walks - See the renowned hills and dales of the Peak District on great walks; enquire at the B&B for advice on the best routes
This charming B&B is set in a lovingly restored Victorian property in Matlock, Derbyshire. The hotel's guestrooms are beautifully appointed, with oak, four-poster beds and floral print wallpaper. Set close to the train station, this hotel is the perfect base for Peak District exploring. See More
No 6 The Square Buxton Spa 4 rooms from £95Foodies - First a popular tearoom and second a place to stay - ideal for food lovers wanting a quintessentially British experienceLocal exploring - There's plenty to explore on foot in this beautiful spa town and for days out the Peak District is easily accessibleGreat walks - Take a stroll through the picturesque Pavilion Gardens or spend a day exploring the Peak DistrictSights nearby - Chatsworth House, Haddon Hall and Lyme Park are all nearby
A charming and wonderfully British stay in the heart of the spa town of Buxton. Downstairs is a bustling traditional teahouse (worthy of a visit alone). Upstairs is home to four characterful rooms, packed with antiques and boasting large sash windows. A delightful spot to explore the region from. See More
Biggin Hall Hotel Hartington, Derbyshire 21 rooms from £97Romantic Break - With well-appointed rooms, a romantic restaurant and excellent walking nearby, book this hotel for a tranquil couples' getawayActive Holiday - Set in the heart of the Peak District, this hotel makes an ideal base for an active walking holiday in the dalesCountry Escape - Nestled within a 17th-century property in bucolic grounds, this hotel makes an authentic country retreatSights nearby - Take a day trip to neighbouring Buxton and visit Poole’s Cavern, a naturally occurring limestone cavern
This hotel is nestled in a beautifully preserved, Grade II-listed property in the heart of the Peak District. Inside, original exposed beams and tiled floors are complemented by selected antiques and heritage-style furniture. Enjoy a classic Sunday lunch at the hotel restaurant after walks. See More
The Manor House Matlock, Derbyshire 3 rooms from £100Local exploring - Set between the beautiful estates at Chatsworth, Sudbury and Tissington, this hotel is the perfect base for local exploringCountry Escape - Set in a heritage property in the charming village of Brassington, this hotel makes a tranquil escape to the countryRomantic Break - With beautifully appointed suites and a peaceful village location, book this hotel for a romantic hideaway holidaySights nearby - Visit Chatsworth House, a stately home with landscaped gardens, a farmyard and adventure playground, great for families
This B&B is tucked away in a Georgian country manor in Brassington, a picturesque village in the Peak District. The three, distinct guestrooms are dressed in luxury French style, with rolltop baths and vintage linens. Set in pretty gardens, this B&B makes an idyllic rural retreat. See More
The Devonshire Arms Beeley Beeley, Derbyshire 14 rooms from £100Boutique - Stylish bedrooms designed by the DuchessSights nearby - Chatsworth on the doorstep.Restaurant - Recommended.Great walks - Good for walkers.
The Old Hall Inn Derbyshire 11 rooms from £105Romantic Break - With charming rooms and a cosy pub with excellent beer, book this hotel for your next couples' hideaway holidayCountry Escape - Set in the tranquil hamlet of Whitehough, this traditional inn makes an authentic escape to the countryLocal exploring - Set in the heart of the Peak District, this hotel is a great base for local exploringGreat walks - There are excellent walking routes accessible from this hotel, perfect for Peak District exploring
This charming B&B is nestled in the idyllic hamlet of Whitehough, Chinley. The B&B combines an early 1800's coaching inn and neighbouring Whitehough Hall. Accommodation ranges from contemporary studios to cosy, country-style guestrooms - perfect for a Peak District retreat. See More
Stanshope Hall Nr Ashbourne, Derbyshire 3 rooms from £110Great walks - Lovely rambles along the River Dove. The Peak District location mean that it's a walker's paradise!Sights nearby - Chatsworth House and Haddon Hall within an hours driveBirdwatching - Go in search of the rare British White Breasted DipperSecluded setting - For escaping.
George Hotel Hathersage, Derbyshire 22 rooms from £115Great walks - The Peak District is prime walking and climbing countryRestaurant - The George's restaurants serves award winning foodTraditionalRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays, Michelin Travel
The Old Hall Hotel Buxton, Derbyshire 35 rooms from £129Local exploring - Well situtated to explore the historic town of Buxton and the beautiful Peak District.Great walks - Discover the delights of the Peak District on foot, the hotel provides packed lunches for longer hikes.TraditionalRestaurant - Recommended.
An ancient ivy-clad hotel, reputedly Britain's oldest, in the charming town of Buxton. Traditional rooms feature pretty chintz wall paper, heavy draped curtains, antique furniture and, some, four poster beds. A popular restaurant and bar complete this wonderfully British escape. See More
The Cow ASHBOURNE, Derbyshire 12 rooms from £145Country Escape - With the beautiful Derbyshire and Peak District countryside on the doorstep this is the perfect rural getaway.Sights nearby - Take a tour of the imposing country manor, Kedleston Hall.Great walks - Take long walks through the surrounding Peak District.Traditional
A boutique country inn with easy access to the Peak District. Beautifully renovated rooms are light and airy with soft hues, parquet flooring, simple contemporary furniture and luxurious bathrooms. An atmospheric restaurant serves modern British fare alongside a choice selection of ales. See More
Dannah Farm Derbyshire 8 rooms from £150Country Escape - A cosy farmhouse set in picturesque countryside.Sights nearby - Take a tour of Chatsworth House, the home of the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire.Private Hot Tub - There are three rooms with private outdoor hot tubsSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Kedleston Country House Derby, Derbyshire 5 rooms from £150Weddings - Have your ceremony in the light-filled Orangery, photos on the sweeping stone staircase before retiring to the Kedleston suiteFoodies - The catering team use fresh and organic local ingredients to produce some absolutely mouthwatering dishes!Great walks - Head out on long walks through the Derbyshire countryside to truly unwindSights nearby - Go visit the beautiful Kedleston Hall or check out Tutbury CastleRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
This grade II listed country house is located within The Kedleston Estate, ten minutes from Derby city centre. It offers five chic individually designed rooms and you can enjoy meals in the beautiful Georgian dining rooms or a cocktail on the garden terrace. A peaceful country escape! See More
Peacock at Rowsley Rowsley, Derbyshire 15 rooms from £205Total relaxation - They go the extra mile to help you relax- afternoon tea on arrival, camomile tea for bed and roaring fires in the cosy bar.Country Escape - A historic country hotel in stunning surrounds, well placed for fishing, golf and walking weekends.Fishing - Access to a 7-mile stretch of fly-fishing along the Wye and Derwent where rare Rainbow Trout and Brown Trout can be caught.Local markets - Foodies flock to Bakewell's farmers market, the second largest in the UK, it boasts the cream of the local produce.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
A 17th-century manor first opened as a hotel in 1820, in the middle of the Peak District. Recent renovation has created a stylish mix of traditional and contemporary, with luxurious trappings and outstanding food. Come for walking and fly fishing on a seven mile stretch of river. True English charm. See More
Fischer's Baslow Hall Derbyshire 11 rooms from £207Country Escape - A picture perfect country house with excellent food, roaring fires and lovely surrounding countryside.Foodies - A fabulous restaurant boasting a 3 AA Rosettes. Certainly the centre piece of the hotel.Sights nearby - Just a short drive from Chatsworth House and Haddon Hall which make a great day out.Great walks - The Peak District offers endless options for glorious walks.
An imposing manor house with sumptuous interiors and a seriously good restaurant. Eleven individually designed rooms boast Egyptian linens and an opulent feel. The restaurant has been awarded 3 AA Rosettes and serves innovative dishes using local seasonal produce. The perfect rural escape. See More
Cavendish Hotel Bakewell, Derbyshire 24 rooms from £215Fishing - River fishing nearbySights nearby - Well located for major sights.Secluded setting - For escaping.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Michelin Travel
Losehill House Edale Road, Derbyshire 23 rooms from £310Spa breaks - Unwind in the spoiling spa (using Thalgo products) and enjoy panoramic views over the Winhill and Hope Valley.Sights nearby - Find some of Britain's finest Country Houses including, Chatsworth, Haddon, Lymm Park and Hardwick Hall.Swimming Pool - Indoor heated poolSecluded setting - For escaping.