- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Dover
Dover’s position, right on the tip of the UK overlooking France, has given it an impressive two thousand year old castle - we’ve been watching out for the French for at least that long. The breathtaking white cliffs are another main attraction - a big ‘welcome!’ to whoever’s arriving via boat across the channel. Some of the best places to stay in Dover afford a view of these cliffs.
What Not To Miss
- As mentioned above, the castle and cliffs are two of the most famous landmarks associated with Dover and are really not to be missed.
- Within Dover’s castle are the remains of a Roman lighthouse which dates back to the 1st century and might be the oldest building in Britain. Within the Great Tower, which dates from the 12th Century, are a number of exhibitions taking you back to the time of Henry II.
- It’s the castle’s famous wartime tunnels which are a big draw, a warren cut through the chalk which was begun in the Napoleonic wars and expanded during WW2 until eventually it was large enough to house a command centre and hospital. It was here that operation Dynamo - or the evacuation of the thousands of troops from the beaches of Dunkirk - was coordinated and there’s an interactive exhibition telling the tale.
- Dover also has a very poignant Battle of Britain memorial, complete with a collection of vintage airplanes,
- The Dover Museum has become the most recent resting place for a 3,500 year old wooden boat which was found preserved in mud several years ago.
There is a wide range of accommodation on offer and our pick of the best places to stay in Dover feature a charming restaurant with rooms just out of town and a hotel at the foot of the famous white cliffs.
For the views
- Wallett's Court Country House is an old Jacobean manor house with sweeping views over the surrounding countryside and towards the white cliffs. There are 17 rustic bedrooms, a spa and restaurant.
- The White Cliffs Hotel & Trading Co. is a charming hotel at the base of the White Cliffs of Dover with views all the way over to France. There is a walled rose-garden, tennis courts and a very fresh seafood restaurant.
For a restaurant with rooms
- Surrounded by green, The Marquis at Alkham is a ten room restaurant with rooms in the Alkham Valley. Inside the house there are modern, chic bedrooms and fantastic food. There are also separate cottages to rent if you like a little more independence.
For an apartment or cottage
- If you'd prefer your own space, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a selection of properties ideal for exploring the town and all its sights.
- Fly to Gatwick Airport located 125km (78 miles) from Dover. The airport is large and has connections to the rest of the UK, Europe and beyond.
- Catch a train to Dover with high-speed connections to London taking just over an hour.
- Or take a ferry to Dover, with the popular cross-chanel route occurring regularly to Calais and Dunkirk.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the beautiful coastline, for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Best time to visit - the summer months from June to early December provide the warmest weather to enjoy all the beaches near Dover and other outdoor activities.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Dover
The White Cliffs Hotel 16 rooms from $169Dover, Kent
Charming hotel at the feet of the White Cliffs of Dover. Rooms are modern and stylish, some with rustic touches - wooden beams and four poster beds. Family friendly, with beautiful views of the French coastline. Guests can relax in the beach garden and enjoy breakfast on the terrace in summer.Spa - Garden of England Spa is a 15-minute walk from the propertySurfing - Available at sites close to the hotelViews - Overlooking the English ChannelSeaside - On the White Cliffs of DoverRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Wallett's Court Country House 17 rooms from $182Dover, Kent
Old Jacobean manor house in country setting. Views over sweeping landscape towards white cliffs. Rustic bedrooms, spa, restaurant.Swimming Pool - Indoor PoolFour poster beds - For romantics.SpaRecommended by - Frommers, Johansens, Sawdays