Search the best hotels in Dundee
Dundee is surrounded by natural beauty as it spreads north along the Firth of Tay. Enchanting and friendly, this city makes an ideal cultural city break or it can also easily be used as a base for accessing the Highlands. Renowned for its excellent museums which include the V&A and the RRS Discovery. If you’re here for the sights, then the best places to stay in Dundee are found in the city centre where there are some particularly charming riverside stays but if you’re using Dundee as a base for the Highlands then choose a quiet hotel on the outskirts.
London’s V&A Museum has just opened a branch here on the waterfront around Discovery Point, which is also home to Captain Scott’s famous polar exploration ship the RRS Discovery, on display beside a fantastic visitor centre. The new V&A showcases the best of Scottish design alongside travelling exhibitions from the V&A London and other museums. Dundee’s other famous museum, Verdant Works, is an impressive industrial museum based around Dundee’s jute industry - part of Dundee's history.
For something more outdoorsy, then climbing The Law, an extinct volcano with a war memorial on the summit, offers the very best views of Dundee and the Tay. While some seriously dramatic terrain can be found in the Glens and the Highlands.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Dundee range from a chic city-centre pad to a refined B&B on the outskirts of town. If you are travelling in the summer, we recommend booking well in advance as this is a popular spot.
Best places to stay in Dundee
- Balmuirfield House is a five bedroom B&B on Dundee’s outskirts with a luxurious feel and delicious Scottish breakfasts. Perfect for romantics, and golf lovers and a great base for exploring further afield.
- Taypark House is a baronial mansion-house oozing with character and set in some wonderful grounds with magnificent views of the Tay. Offering a wide range of contemporary, chic rooms and suites, this is the perfect spot for exploring Dundee or the Highlands.
For Great Value
- Malmaison Dundee’s bar and restaurant, as with the rest of the Malmaison chain, is full of bright young things plus the rooms are comfy with luxurious feeling bathrooms. Even better, doubles start from only £65 per night.
- The Newport Hotel - It's worth visiting this chic little restaurant with rooms on the banks of the Firth of Tay just for the food. The fabulous sunset views over the Tay Bridge are a free bonus - and the bedrooms are delightful.
For a boutique
- Hotel Indigo has a hip post-industrial vibe in an old Dundee linen mill. Industrial-chic interiors feature bare brick walls, cast iron and polished plaster finishes. Just a 10 minute walk to the new V&A this is a convenient city crashpad.
For an apartment or cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday - don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a great selection of properties perfect for exploring the city.
- Visitors can fly to Dundee Airport, although it's small and only has connections to London Stansted. You might be better flying to Edinburgh Airport located 98km (61 miles) from Dundee and served by a wide range of domestic and international carriers.
- Alternatively, catch the train to Dundee with rail links to Edinburgh, Glasgow and London amongst other destinations.
- If you want to rent a car to explore Dundee or the Highlands beyond - for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - although it's a year-round destination, the summer months from June to early September provide typically the nicest weather for enjoying nearby golf courses and the Highlands and Islands.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Dundee,
- Expand your search to include all our recommendations in St Andrews or Edinburgh,
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Dundee
Best Hotels in Dundee
Malmaison Dundee Dundee 91 rooms from £65
Hotel Indigo, Dundee Dundee (Constable St) 101 rooms from £70Local exploring - Ideally placed only a five-minute walk from the high street and a brisk ten minutes from Discovery PointLocal markets - There's plenty of independent and quirky markets as well as boutiques to browse through in the city centreSights nearby - Visit Taypark House, a stunning baronial mansionViews - Great views from hotel
Groovy post-industrial vibe in an old Dundee linen mill. Industrial-chic interiors feature bare brick walls, cast iron and polished plaster finishes. Spacious bedrooms are similarly stylish yet pared back. 10 mins walk to the new V&A and railway station and a five-minute cab ride from the airport. See More
Balmuirfield House Dundee 4 rooms from £85Sights nearby - Visit Discovery Point in Dundee and Glamis Castle is just up the roadFour poster beds - Two rooms feature four postersTraditional
Victorian villa turned B&B on the outskirts of Dundee. Five bedrooms feature antique furniture and are adorned with sumptuous fabrics for a luxurious finish. Delicious Scottish breakfasts are served around a communal dining table. Great for a romantic break & ideal for golf lovers. See More
Taypark House Dundee from £95Sights nearby - Enjoy great days out in Dundee at Discovery Point or venture further out to Scone Palace.Views - Fantastic views across Dundee and of the Tay.
Baronial mansion-house oozing with character and set in some wonderful grounds with magnificent views of the Tay. A wide range of contemporary, chic rooms and suites. Cafe/restaurant stocked with delicious home baking and atmospheric gin bar. Perfect for exploring Dundee or a relaxing break. See More
The Newport Hotel Dundee 4 rooms from £100Sights nearby - Visit Captain Scott's ship Discovery across the river in Dundee.Views - Great views from hotel