- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Edinburgh
Not just Scotland's capital city and an important centre of the late 18th-century Enlightenment, Edinburgh is now one of the most popular tourist destinations in Europe - and in Britain, she’s second only to London. Its rich history is in evidence everywhere you look from the famous castle, towering above streets of genteel, granite grey houses - many of which have been converted into some of the best places to stay in Edinburgh - to the startling new and wildly over-budget Scottish Parliament building.
Where to Stay?
- The Royal Mile is the best place to stay in Edinburgh if you’re not going to be here for long - or if you just want to be in the thick of the attractions.
- For a location with easy access to all of Edinburgh's historical highlights, the Old Town is where to stay.
- The New Town has the beautiful Georgian architecture, plus the Portrait Gallery, some great boutiques and arguably the chicest cocktail bars.
- The West End has a villagey feel and is crammed full of great bars and restaurants. It's also ideal if you want access to both the city centre and attractions like Murrayfield and the Zoo.
- Leith was down-and-out but it’s now totally hip.
What not to Miss
Edinburgh's attractions range from the Festival, held over three weeks every August when the population swells to double, to the Military Tattoo and Hogmanay street party, to say nothing of its excellent museums and galleries or stylish shops and restaurants.
The Hotel Guru's selection of the best places to stay in Edinburgh covers all bases too from the opulent extravagance of Prestonfield to the B+B Edinburgh, a roomy property in the heart of the West End that feels more like a private club.
Best places to stay in Edinburgh
Best Statement Hotels
- For the best design conscious place to stay in Edinburgh, then it has to be The G&V! Yet for all its flamboyance, the hotel remains unpretentious. All rooms feature Nespresso Coffee machines and free movies.
- For complete over the top decadence it'll have to be a night at the Witchery by the Castle - think gilded ceilings, panelling and swathes of jewel-coloured velvet.
- Six Brunton Place is a superb hotel which well captures all the splendour or Edinburgh’s Edwardian history. There are 22 plush rooms, all elegantly decorated and with fine artwork. You’re just to the east of the city, about 15minutes walk from the Royal Mile and the castle.
The Royal Mile
- The Balmoral, Rocco Forte's outpost north of the border, with its chic interiors and Michelin starred dining, is quietly confident that it’s THE place to stay in Edinburgh. There are 168 rooms and a comprehensive spa as well as that restaurant.
- At the other end of Princes Street check in to The Rutland which offers twelve individually decorated bedrooms plus Edinburgh's first gourmet steak restaurant.
- You can’t get closer to the action than The Inn on The Mile, a nine room hotel and inn on the Royal Mile just five minutes stroll from the castle.
The New Town
- Twelve Picardy Place is a ten room hotel converted from a beautiful Georgian townhouse. The decor is cool and contemporary and there’s a trendy cocktail bar and sleek steakhouse.
- Malmaison Edinburgh occupies a former seaman’s mission in the heart of Leith. Expect all the Malmaison trademarks: a state of the art gym, restaurant, stylish bar and roil-top baths. Starting from around £85 per night.
For central location
- The Scotsman is good for being in the thick of things, and effortlessly blends old and new and has great facilities, including a top notch spa and 3AA Rosette standard brasserie.
- 21212 is a Michelin-starred restaurant with four rooms just ten minutes from the Royal Mile and the castle. You’ll feel more like a guest at a posh house party than at a hotel.
- If you’re interested in eating well and shopping well during your Edinburgh stay then Le Monde, a chic 18 bedroom townhouse just off Princes Street is for you, There are three bars and two restaurants too!
Most Romantic Hotels
- Prestonfield feels more like a country house hotel than a city central one, but here you’re just five minutes from the Royal Mile - despite being surrounded by 20 acres of spectacular parkland. The dining is fine, the bedrooms divine and nothing is too much trouble.
- Just ten minutes walk from the castle, the Principal Hotel George Street is a grand and luxurious hotel with 249 rooms in an unbeatable location. Perfect for an indulgent weekend.
- Dunstane Houses is a chic property in a peaceful corner of Edinburgh's West End. Recently renovated it boasts chic rooms and suites (some with in room copper tubs) and an excellent restaurant and whisky bar.
For Design Chic
- 24 Royal Terrace is a home from home for connoisseurs of contemporary art and stylish design. There are just 15 sumptuous rooms plus a popular bar, within 20 minutes of the Royal Mile.
- The Glasshouse, Edinburgh is a stylish, modern hotel with plenty of glass and large, open spaces filled with natural light. There’s a roof garden dotted with fragrant lavender and amazing views of Carlton Hill.
- If you’re looking for hip and happening look no further than The Rutland Hotel, a stylish, 12 room hotel on Princes Street. Glitzy and glamorous with a sensual feel, the swanky bar and club might just top off your stay.
B&Bs and Guesthouses
- 23 Mayfield is an elegant, five star B&B in a beautiful Victorian building. There are seven rooms, some with four poster beds, and all with wood panelling, fireplaces and big bathtubs. They serve an excellent breakfast and there’s a lovely garden.
- Try 94DR for seven good sized rooms with luxury trappings, plus great views of Arthur's Seat. You’re 10-15 minutes walk from the centre of town, but also on a bus route.
- Alternatively book into Millers64, a victorian townhouse where the Clelland sisters' focus on attention to detail is evident all over.
- The Antler Guest House has just two bedrooms, but they’re stylish and contemporary with Persian rugs and original art. You’re in Leith, but only about a 20 minute walk from the castle.
- Chester Residence is a cosy collection of 19 rooms and suites on a quiet street in Edinburgh’s West End. They’ve a resident family of soft toys to please their youngest guests.
- The Atholl is a spectacular, four room hotel in the New Town with beautiful classical contemporary suites and superb service. The bathrooms are by Philippe Stark, the food by Albert Roux trained chefs and nothing is too much trouble.
- B+B Edinburgh is a roomy B&B in the West End which feels more like a private club or boutique hotel than a B&B. Awash with Victorian character this is an exclusive feeling place without the price tag. Its 27 rooms start from as little as £75 per night including breakfast.
- Brooks Edinburgh is friendly, clean and tidy and amazing value, with some of its 46 rooms starting from less than £60 per night. And you’re within walking distance of many of the main sights.
For a self-catering Apartment
- For those who want a city centre apartment, visit our online partner, booking.com.
- Edinburgh International Airport has links to over 130 different destinations and is about an hour’s flight from London. However Scot Rail’s Caledonian Sleeper is probably the most romantic way to arrive. You get into Waverley Station, which is also well connected to other UK wide destinations.
- If you want to hire a car - which we strongly advise if you’re staying in Edinburgh and you want to see the surrounding area - we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
- Edinburgh is busy over August for the Festival and the Fringe, and over Christmas and New year for Hogmanay, but the space in between is quiet and still pleasant weatherise. Alternatively June and July are also popular. Of course if you’re here for the events then book well ahead to avoid disappointment.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Edinburgh for you?
Best Hotels in Edinburgh
Prestonfield 23 rooms from £252Edinburgh (Priestfield Road)
Opulent extravagance at the Prestonfield just 5 mins from the Royal Mile in Edinburgh. Come for attentive service, divine bedrooms and spoiling galore. Fine dining is served in an ultra romantic setting. The concierge have a 'nothing's too much' attitude. Best for a truly indulgent stay.Exclusive offer - Decadent Country HouseRomantic Break - This hotel oozes glammour, romance and seduction, with its wildly opulent canopied beds, rich fabrics and roaring fires.Local exploring - The best of both worlds- set in 20 acres of spectacular parklands, yet within spitting distance of Edinburgh.Great walks - Don't forget your welly boots, there are 20 acres of parkland to explore.Restrictions on children - Adults onlyRecommended by - Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection
The Dunstane Houses 35 rooms from £119Edinburgh
In a peaceful corner of Edinburgh’s West End, a short walk from Haymarket and 15 minutes’ drive from Edinburgh airport, The Dunstane Houses is an independent, 35-bedroom boutique hotel spread over two stately Victorian townhouses on opposite sides of the road: Dunstane House and Hampton House.Exclusive offer - Sunday Night StaySights nearby - Easy access to all of Edinburgh's top attractions including the Royal Mile, Old Town and Prince's StreetGreat walks - Climb Arthur's seat for a great view over the city and beyond.Designer - Uniquely designed interiorsQuirky - A unique experience
The Witchery by the Castle 9 rooms from £325Edinburgh (Royal Mile)
Superbly located at the gates of the Castle, on the Royal Mile, sits this intimate, Gothic hotel. The rooms are luxurious, romantic & eccentric – think candlelit, wood paneling and plenty of velvet. Enjoy delicious Scottish food in the equally atmospheric restaurant.Foodies - Serving Scottish beef, lamb, game, the Witchery's famous steak tartare, briny-fresh seafood platters and even some haggis.Romantic Break - The glamourous, plush yet cosy interiors with love seats, four poster beds, and plenty of candles are perfect for couplesLocal markets - Edinburghs Haymarket bustles with independdent shops and cafes selling local produce.Sights nearby - In the heart of the Old Town on Edinburgh's famous Royal MileRecommended by - Frommers, Good Hotel Guide
Tigerlily 33 rooms from £220Edinburgh
Chic little hotel on George Street, complete with bar and restaurant downstairs. Stylish, glamourous and modern. Good food, even better cocktails and a lively atmosphere with one of the most central locations. Great for a chic weekend away.City Style - A bold boutique hotel full of glitz and glamour, with an excellent cocktail bar and access to a connecting nightclub.Sights nearby - The impressive Edinburgh castle is in close proximity.Lively - Hip and happening.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Carberry Tower 30 rooms from £112Edinburgh (Near Musselburgh)
A stunning mansion and estate perfectly positioned just outside Edinburgh. Elegant rooms are spacious and individually styled. Pick a suite and enjoy four posters, chandeliers and open fireplaces. An exemplary bistro and sumptuous private dinners are on offer. A spoiling country escape.Country Escape - A rural escape of grand proportions - an imposing 15th century mansion set in glorious parkland.Sights nearby - Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Edinburgh Castle.OpulentFull of character
Dakota Edinburgh 182 rooms from £82Edinburgh (South Queensferry)
A slick hotel providing contemporary accommodation, fine dining and excellent service all at exceptionally good rates. Rooms are grown-up with dark hues, wide-screen TVs and luxury bathrooms. A small gym and executive lounge provide evening entertainment. Ideal for businessmen and travellers alike.Value chic - Find style and luxury all at a very reasonable rate.Sailing - Embark on a scenic wildlife and island cruise on the River Forth.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby historic Hopetoun House.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
The Lane 6 rooms from £90Edinburgh
Set in the charming district of Morningside in Edinburgh, The Lane is a delightful boutique hotel. Offering smart rooms and an atmospheric bar/restaurant, it's a great base for a weekend exploring Scotland's capital.Restaurant - Recommended.Great walks - Climb Edinburgh's iconic Arthur's Seat.Sights nearby - Visit Edinburgh's world famous castle.Quirky - An experience!
The G&V 136 rooms from £127Edinburgh
A hotel with eclectic, modern design in a historic part of town. Bedrooms are decorated in a vibrant contemporary style animated with colour. Located on the Royal Mile, just 3 minutes to Castle, St Giles cathedral and National Gallery. A trendy, happening spot, perfect for sightseeing.City Style - Missoni prints adorn the entire hotel - ultimate urban styleLocal exploring - Walking distance from Edinburgh Castle and much moreGreat walks - Walk up Arthur's SeatViews - City viewsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Fodors, Kiwi Collection
Albyn Townhouse 5 rooms from £78Edinburgh
Set in a lovely Victorian former Manse, the Albyn Townhouse is an excellent B&B a little away from Edinburgh city centre. Lovely, comfortable rooms feature ornate beds and sofas that are great for relaxing. A great base from which to explore Edinburgh's old town.Great walks - Go for a lovely walk through the Meadows and up Arthur's Seat.Sights nearby - Go and visit the iconic Edinburgh Castle.
Principal Hotel George Street 249 rooms from £120Edinburgh
The personification of opulence, The George combines grand luxury with a modern sleekness to create a superb hotel right in the centre of Edinburgh. Its location is unbeatable with all of the city's main attractions a short walk away. Perfect for an indulgent weekend in Edinburgh.Sights nearby - Just ten minute walk from the magnificent Edinburgh Castle.
Nira Caledonia 28 rooms from £95Edinburgh
Nira Caledonia is situated within a magnificent row of Georgian townhouses and is a luxurious boutique hotel. Elegantly designed rooms are chic and comfortable with spacious ensuite bathrooms. The superb restaurant serves delicious cuisine that focuses on local and organic produce.Great walks - Go for a lovely walk in the nearby Royal Botanic Garden.Local markets - On Sundays, visit Stockbridge Farmers Market.Sights nearby - Visit the iconic Edinburgh Castle.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Antler Guest House 2 rooms from £90Edinburgh
A comfortable modern guesthouse in Edinburgh's Leith area. Stylish contemporary rooms boasting original artworks, crisp white linens, and Persian rugs. The hotel is within walking distance of the major sights and sounds of the city. Fantastic value for a city break.Local exploring - The ideal base to return to after a weekend of exploring Scotland's capital.Value chic - A great value option situated in Edinburgh's up and coming Leith district.Sights nearby - Twenty minutes walk from Edinburgh Castle.
The Glasshouse, Edinburgh 65 rooms from £120Edinburgh
Modern, stylish hotel. Large open spaces filled with natural light. Lavender roof garden with views of Carlton Hill. Patios, verandas, areas for private meetings.Sit-out TerraceViews - Great views from hotelDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Frommers
Six Brunton Place 22 rooms from £109Edinburgh
A superb hotel that captures all the splendour of Edinburgh's Edwardian history. The plush rooms are elegantly appointed with tasteful furnishings and charming artwork. It serves as a great launchpad for exploring Edinburgh's main attractions. A city centre gem.Romantic Break - With luxurious rooms, Egyptian cotton bedlinen, and views over Royal Terrace Gardens- it's perfect for a romantic city break.Local exploring - Just east of the city centre, with easy access to the sights, yet sitting on a peaceful street slightly out of the action.Sights nearby - Fifteen minutes walk from the Royal Mile and Edinburgh Castle.Local markets - In December explore Edinburgh's famous christmas market.
Chester Residence 19 rooms from £140Edinburgh
This cosy, sweet scented cocoon on a quiet street in Edinburgh's West End is not just for romantic couples. Just as well suited to couples as it is to families, Chester Residence even has a resident family of soft toys to please its youngest guests.Sights nearby - Ten minutes walk from Edinburgh Castle.
The Balmoral 168 rooms from £208Edinburgh
Quietly confident, stylish, sophisticated and efficient.THE place to stay in Edinburgh. Part of Rocco Forte Collection and boasting a Michelin starred restaurant, comprehensive spa and over 150 bedrooms. The old railway hotel transformed into a grande dame. True indulgence.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Edinburgh Castle and the Scottish National Portrait Gallery.Great walks - Walk to the summit of Calton Hill and enjoy the panoramic views.Views - Wonderful city views towards Arthurs Seat.Swimming Pool - Indoor PoolRecommended by - Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
Norton House Hotel & Spa 83 rooms from £120Edinburgh (Ingliston)
Country house hotel on the outskirts of Edinburgh. Great facilities include spa with large heated pool and a plethora of treatments to choose from. Great food too with 3 AA Rosette fine dining in Ushers Restaurant. Perfect for business travellers - it's only 2 miles from the airport.Business Hotel - Great for business travellers as it's only 2 miles from Edinburgh AirportSights nearby - A short bus ride from all of Edinburgh's major attractionsSwimming Pool - 18 metre heated poolSpa
The Hedges 5 rooms from £80Edinburgh
Set in charming Edwardian townhouse, The Hedges is an excellent B&B just a short walk from Edinburgh city centre. Featuring lovely rooms and sleek ensuite bathrooms, it provides a great base for people looking to explore the Scottish capital.Great walks - Taking a stroll through Edinburgh must be one of the most picturesque city walks in the world.Local markets - Wander down to Stockbridge and go to the weekend market.Sights nearby - Walk up the Royal Mile to Edinburgh Castle.
Le Monde 18 rooms from £265Edinburgh (New Town)
A chic townhouse with 18 bedrooms just 100m from Prince's Street. Central hotel in the heart of Edinburgh offering modern rooms, three bars and two restaurants. A suitable choice for guests interested in fine restaurants and designer shopping.Great walks - Take a walk up Arthur's SeatSights nearby - Edinburgh CastleHouse party feel - Be prepared to meet people.
Abercorn Guest house 6 rooms from £89Edinburgh (Portobello)
A charming family-run guesthouse boasting a fantastic central location. Traditionally dressed throughout, expect floral patterns, soft hues and antiques. Breakfasts are not taken lightly with both a continental and Scottish serving which includes haggis. A delightful spot to explore the city from.Local exploring - A charming city base with easy access to the main attractions and hosts with an extensive knowledge of the area.Sights nearby - Take a tour of the Royal Yacht Britannia, a ship that has played host to some of the most famous people in the world.Full of characterTraditional
Barony House 6 rooms from £100Edinburgh
Just a short stroll from Arthur's Seat, Barony House is a delightful B&B. The rooms have magnificent ornate beds that offer a great combination of character and comfort. A superb Edinburgh base for people looking for somewhere quiet away from the hustle and bustle of the centre.Local exploring - A great base for exploring Edinburgh as well as the surrounding area.Great walks - Go for a walk up Arthur's Seat and through Holyrood Park.Sights nearby - Stroll up the Royal Mile to the iconic Edinburgh Castle.Full of character
The Bridge Inn 4 rooms from £115Edinburgh (Ratho)
A delightful village Inn set in a picturesque canal side spot in a quiet village just outside Edinburgh. The four rooms are perfectly styled producing an elegant yet cosy feel. The food is what this place is all about with delicious seasonal produce and innovative cooking.Foodies - The award winning gastro pub serves exemplary food using locally sourced produce.Sights nearby - Visit the majestic Edinburgh Castle and admire the city views from atop.Great walks - Take scenic walks along the canal.Full of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
21212 4 rooms from £95Edinburgh
Paul Kitching's Michelin-starred restaurant with rooms is one of Edinburgh's cosiest cocoons. Staying here is like being a guest at a rather posh house party for a select few.Sights nearby - Ten minutes walk from the Royal Mile and Edinburgh castle.Great walks - Excellent walking around the nearby Carlton Hill.
Orocco Pier 17 rooms from £96Edinburgh (SouthQueensferry, West Lothian)
A stylishly renovated Inn offering spectacular views of the coast and the Firth of Forth. Light and airy rooms benefit from large sash windows and are simply dressed with light hues and pops of colour. With a superb restaurant and ideally placed for both the airport and easy access to the city.Local exploring - A chic hotel with lovely views of the bridges and easy access to Edinburgh and it's many attractions.Great walks - Take scenic walks along the coast and through the Dalmeny Estate.Sights nearby - The majestic Edinbrugh Castle is a must visit.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
The Edinburgh Residence 29 rooms from £99Edinburgh
This baronial West End townhouse has a clubby feel. Staying here feels a bit like being a guest in a Scottish laird's city pied-a-terre.Sights nearby - Ten minutes walk from Edinburgh Castle and the Royal Mile.Full of character5* Luxury - Very high service standards.
The Principal Charlotte Square 199 rooms from £130Edinburgh
A luxurious hotel located in the heart of the city. Beautifully renovated rooms keep the traditional style yet a splash of contemporary flare has been added. The two restaurants are equally stylish and the bar produces some top-notch cocktails. The service is slick and the positioning perfect.City Style - A centrally located hotel that has perfectly brought a traditional building into the 21st-century.Sights nearby - The majestic Edinburgh Castle and its breathtaking views are a must-see.Romantic - Good for couples.Full of character
The Rutland Hotel 12 rooms from £135Edinburgh
Small and stylish hotel in the most central of locations, Edinburgh's Princes Street. A riot of glitz and glamour that has a sensual feel. Come for the glamourous nightlife - swanky bar and club await.Lively - Hip and happening.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Fodors
24 Royal Terrace 15 rooms from £150Edinburgh
Centrally located, 24 Royal Terrace is a home away from home for connoisseurs of contemporary art and stylish design. Home to a popular bar, serving carefully chosen single malts this is a top-drawer stay. Sumptuous rooms, decorated in a classic style feature all the mod-cons. A winning stay.City Style - Stylish accommodation in the heart of the citySights nearby - Within twenty minutes walk of Edinburgh Castle and the Royal Mile.Lively - Hip and happening.
The Scotsman Hotel 59 rooms from £195Edinburgh
This historic hotel overlooking Edinburgh Castle, was formerly the HQ for the Scotsman newspaper. Come for Michelin star restaurant, close promiximty to Princes St and a world-class gym. Chic interiors in traditional rooms.Swimming Pool - State of the art stainless steel indoor poolGreat walks - Calton Hill, is just a short stroll from the hotel, enjoy 360 views of the city at the city's UNESCO World Heritage Site.Sights nearby - Overlooking Edinburgh Castle.Views - Good city views.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers, Good Hotel Guide
11 Brunswick Street 10 rooms from £125Edinburgh
Tucked away on the fringes of Edinburgh's New Town, 11 Brunswick Street is a serene, grown-up restaurant with rooms in a quiet part of town.Sights nearby - Twenty minutes walk from city centre sights such as Edinburgh Castle and the Scott Monument.Great walks - Take a great walk up Edinburgh's famous Arthur's Seat overlooking the city.Full of character
The Inn on the Mile 9 rooms from £146Edinburgh
Those looking for a ringside seat for Edinburgh's famed Hogmanay celebrations, or who just like to be in the heart of things at any time, will like the Inn on the Mile.Sights nearby - Within five minutes walk of Edinburgh Castle and St Giles Cathedral.Great walks - Take a walk up the nearby picturesque Arthur's Seat.Landmark - Situated on Edinburgh's historic Royal Mile.
23 Mayfield 7 rooms from £135Edinburgh
Elegant 5* B&B in Victorian building. Romantic rooms have four poster beds, panelled walls and big bathtubs. Intimate restaurant serving excellent breakfasts. Garden with seating and hot tub. Stained glass and fireplaces throughout. Cozy, historic and quiet.City Style - Walkable or short bus to the city's highlights; return to sit by the fireplace and enjoy romantic ambienceSights nearby - Edinburgh castle and King Arthur's seatRomantic - Good for couples.TraditionalRecommended by - Sawdays
Millers64 2 rooms from £90Edinburgh
Boutique B&B in Victorian townhouse in central Edinburgh. Victorian features, oriental minimalism, contemporary open space. Large comfortable rooms.Restrictions on children - No children under 13 allowedSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
The Atholl 4 rooms from £1000Edinburgh
Spectacular hotel In Edinburgh's Georgian New Town, with just four magnificent classical and contemporary suites. Expect the very best with superb service, exceptional food from Albert Roux trained and supervised chefs. Balthaup Kitchens, Philippe Starck bathrooms. Your wish is the Atholl's command.Sights nearby - In the centre of Edinburgh. Minutes away from the Castle, the Parliament, Princes Street and George StreetSuites - Four beautifully appointed and furnished suites from one bedroom to three bedroomedPrivate chef / butler - Private chefs produce gourmet cuisine in your suite's kithchen.City StyleRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Twelve Picardy Place 10 rooms from £121Edinburgh
A larger-than-life statue of Sherlock Holmes is your landmark for this ultra-chic boutique property in Edinburgh's buzzy Broughton district.City Style - A chic hotel in a beautiful Georgian townhouse, with a cool contemporary rooms, a trendy cocktail bar and sleek steakhouse.Writing a novel - Draw inspiration from stayng in the very building that the literary giant Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was born in!Great walks - Centrally located, this hotel is perfect for exploring this beautiful and historic city on foot.Outstanding location