Search the best hotels in Glasgow
Most people know Glasgow as an industrial powerhouse, however it also displays beautiful Georgian, Victorian and Edwardian architecture and has been joined by some amazing modern structures - including the 'Armadillo' - some of our Guru's choices for the best places to stay in Glasgow are also some of Glasgow's most beautiful buildings.
Over the last few decades this city has been injected with all sorts of creative energy and the Glasgow of today is buzzy, vibrant, arty - and even edgy. The live music scene is one of the UK's best, the art scene is well respected and there are galleries everywhere, whilst the riverfront is just a great place to 'be'.
Did you know that Glasgow is the third largest city in the UK? Armed with that fact, it becomes easy to see why there are so many comparisons with London. Glasgow is supposed to have the best shopping outside of London, whilst its industrial role means it's also wealthy, and thus the architecture is beautiful..
Glasgow's wealth is also reflected in the city's generous numbers of galleries and museums per capita. There are museums to suit all sorts, but some of the best known are the Burrell Collection, the Kelvingrove Art Gallery, the Hunterian Art Gallery and Museum and the Riverside Museum.
What Not To Miss
- The Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum is a great spot, not just for art fanatics. It boasts 22 themed, state-of-the-art galleries displaying a wide range of exhibitions. You'll love spending a few hours wandering around this fascinating spot, home to around 8,000 exhibits!
- The 27-acre Glasgow Botanic Gardens is a wonderful place to spend the afternoon. Follow the Heritage Trail or learn all about the gardens with a guided tour before enjoying a drink in their tearooms.
- The Glasgow Science Centre is a fabulous family day out! With hands-on exhibits, a planetarium and a number of other fascinating exhibits, you're all bound to leave having learnt something new.
- Set in a wonderfully historic building, The People's Palace houses a number of artefacts detailing Glasgow's cultural and industrial past.
- Sports fans will love a guided tour of either Celtic Park or Ibrox, the homes of Scotland's most notable football teams.
The best places to stay in Glasgow will encourage you to explore every nook and cranny but definitely try and check out the Barras, Glasgow's now legendary weekend flea market, for tat and more.
Glasgow City Break
- Blythswood Square, once the home to the famous Automobile Club, has a traditional exterior, not echoed inside. Here you'll find up to the minute contemporary interiors plus a top notch spa.
- 15 Glasgow is a boutique B&B in a quiet garden square. Come here for huge beds, decadent bathrooms and a clever mix of contemporary and traditional interiors. Great location a stone's throw from a wide selection shops and restaurants in the city's trendy West End.
- Malmaison Glasgow is a chic converted church within walking distance of the city centre. It boasts simple yet elegant rooms and a brasserie serving both French and British dishes. What's more, there's even a champagne bar!
For Great Value
- Grasshoppers boasts a splendidly central location right around the corner from the city's bars, restaurants and many sights. With unfussy, Scandinavian-style accommodation at a very decent price, this is a great base from which to get to know Glasgow.
- CitizenM Glasgow is centrally located and offers contemporary accommodation with trendy interiors. This hip property also boasts a 24 hour canteen and bar, as well as a huge lounge area in which to socialise! A fun-filled and trendy spot.
Treat Yourself to Glasgow
- Mar Hall is a bit out of town, but this gorgeous Gothic mansion, set in 400 acres, is a very attractive alternative to staying in the city. The luxurious decor, excellent restaurant and seductive Aveda spa make this a wonderful place to escape to.
- Abode, Glasgow is the ultimate way to see the city! Set in a Georgian townhouse, it splendidly mixes modern furnishings with period features (and a touch of tweed to top it all off!) Plus, it's centrally located - what more could you possibly ask for?
- Hotel Du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens, set in a lovely Victorian townhouse, boasts stylish and upmarket accommodation featuring plenty of dark hues. Enjoy divine cuisine served up in their oak-panelled bistro, one of Scotland's finest eateries. A terrific stay!
- The luxury 5* Blythswood Square is located in Glasgow's West End. Featuring quirky contemporary accommodation, there's also a splendid award-winning spa in which to unwind after a long day sightseeing.
For an apartment
- If you think that you'd prefer a city centre apartment, then visit our online partner, booking.com, where you'll find a comprehensive selection for all budgets.
- Given that it's in Scotland, Glasgow's weather can be predictably unpredictable - so you should always be prepared for a spontaneous downpour! With that in mind, it's probably best to visit in July and August when the average temperature is 15°C and there's the least likely chance of rainfall.
- Visitors can fly into Glasgow Airport, located 9 miles west of the city centre. Once you've arrived, take the Glasgow Airport Express 500 Bus into town, (leaving every 10 minutes), which takes 15 minutes and costs £7.50. If you decide to take a taxi it'll cost you around £16.50.
- If you're coming up from London and don't fancy waiting around in airport queues then take the train! They take around four and a half hours - plus, you can find some incredibly good deals if you're savvy enough to book in advance.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Glasgow for you?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Glasgow.
- Alternatively, check out our list of the best places to stay in Edinburgh, Scotland's capital city.
- Or, contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Glasgow
Best Hotels in Glasgow
Grasshoppers Glasgow 30 rooms from £65Sights nearby - Ideally situated to access Glasgow's best sights including the Science Centre, Botanic Gardens and Modern Art Gallery
citizenM Glasgow Glasgow 198 rooms from £69Value chic - With rooms from as little as £69 per night, what's not to like?Sights nearby - Situated in the heart of the city close to all attractions.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - CN Traveller
The most northerly outpost of CitizenM's luxe for less brand. Simple rooms with huge beds and fab rain showers, plus a 24hour bar and canteen, and huge lounge area. A great central location plus trendy interiors and high-tech gadgetry, make this the perfect choice for a fun filled city break. See More
Grand Central Hotel Glasgow 186 rooms from £66Short fly break - An elegant hotel located close to Glasgow Central Station making it ideal for a short stay.Sights nearby - Visit the imposing Glasgow Cathedral.Traditional
As the name suggests this is a hotel of epic proportions. Located in an historic building near Glasgow Central Station, the myriad of rooms are of varying design the best being the modern options on the top floor. Elegant reception rooms house the bar and restaurant. Ideal for a weekend stay. See More
Malmaison Glasgow Glasgow 72 rooms from £99Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Four poster beds - For romantics.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers, Michelin Travel
15 Glasgow Glasgow 5 rooms from £99TraditionalSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays, Mr & Mrs Smith
Dakota Deluxe Glasgow 83 rooms from £120Local exploring - Spend your days exploring all that Glasgow has to offerGreat walks - Wander around the streets getting a feel for this vibrant citySights nearby - Visit Celtic Park, Ibrox or the impressive Glasgow CathedralDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Michelin Travel
Hotel Indigo Glasgow Glasgow 94 rooms from £125City Style - A slick hotel located in the heart of Glasgow.Sights nearby - Stop by the awe inspiring Glasgow Cathedral.
Village Hotel Glasgow 120 rooms from £141City Style - An uber contemporary hotel in the heart of the city.Great walks - Take a stroll along the riverside pathway.Sights nearby - Visit the impressive Glasgow Cathedral.Restrictions on children - Adult only
A slick contemporary hotel on the river in central Glasgow. Smart rooms feature brightly coloured walls, modern bathrooms and crisp white linen. A bistro style restaurant serves a wide range of classic British fare. A Starbucks, well equipped gym and indoor pool make this a great city base. See More
Abode, Glasgow Glasgow 59 rooms from £184City Style - Modern, revamped hotel in the middle of townSights nearby - The Glengoyne Whiskey DistilleryGreat walks - Glasgow Botanic Gardens
A lovely Georgian townhouse that has been recently decorated to combine modern luxuries with with gorgeous period features. Located in the heart of the city, the hotel offers private dining, a conference suite and comfortable bedrooms. Tweed furnishings, large windows and high airy ceilings. See More
Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens Glasgow 49 rooms from £199Foodies - The oak-paneled bistro is one of Scotlands finest, serving spectacular cuisine crafted from locally sourced fresh produce.City Style - Luxury accommodation in one of the best addresses in Glasgow, with superb stained glass windows and opulent style.Sights nearby - This central location, is just minutes from most of Glasgow's museums, galleries and her Cathedral.Great walks - Just around the corner is the Glasgow Botanical Gardens, perfect for an afternoon stroll.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
A luxury boutique hotel in a great location. Individually designed bedrooms with bold dark fabrics and modern bathrooms, some with freestanding baths. Whiskey is offered on arrival. The restaurant offers modern Scottish cuisine and has an extensive wine list. A stylish option. See More
Blythswood Square Glasgow 100 rooms from £205City Style - An elegant 5 star hotel in a great location, with red velvet alcoves and fringed lamp shades nodding to the square's shady past!Spa breaks - Indulge yourself at in the award-winning basement spa with mud chamber, sauna and extensive treatments.Suites - Also penthouses with private lift, terrace, bar, dining room, rooftop viewsSwimming Pool - Indoor poolRecommended by - Fodors, Good Hotel Guide
A luxury 5 star spa hotel in Glasgow's West End. Its landmark heritage creates an imposing facade. The contemporary interiors and wellness spa have all the modern comforts. The glorious penthouses and many private rooms are ideal for corporate or social entertaining. A chic choice. See More
Mar Hall Glasgow (Bishopton) 53 rooms from £215Total relaxation - The spa and indoor pool provide easy relaxation and the surroundings are perfectly tranquil.Great walks - Plenty of walking on the 240-acre wooded estate of the Earls of Mar, especially along the banks of the River Clyde.Swimming Pool - Large indoor poolDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
An imposing mansion with epic surrounding views. Grand bedrooms with large sash windows and four poster beds. A world class golf course is attached. A spa with an extensive therapy list and beauty treatments for those wishing to relax. Formal and informal dining options. An ideal rural escape. See More