Search the best hotels in Grasmere
Dubbed “the loveliest spot that man hath ever found” by celebrated poet William Wordsworth – resident there for 14 years – Grasmere is one of the Lake District’s most enchanting villages. Accommodation options are wide-ranging, with everything from charming B&Bs to smart country hotels fit for a whole host of budgets. Whether you’re keen to base yourself in the heart of the village or to hide away in a historic manor house, our pick of the best places to stay in Grasmere promises something for everyone.
Flanked by rolling green pastures, woodland and granite hills, lake-side Grasmere represents the glorious English countryside at its very best – perfect for an idyllic rural escape. Some of the Lake District’s loveliest walks begin here and nature isn’t in short supply.
The village, too, is delightful. Think cosy tea-rooms, old medieval churches, quirky art galleries and cultural history in spades. Much of the village has been influenced by the legacy of Wordsworth, who lived here in Dove Cottage from 1799. He, his wife and his sister all taught at the local school, whilst the Wordsworth family graves are at St Oswald’s Church — one of the most visited literary shrines in the world. Explore the Wordsworth Museum and church, before hiring a boat to row out to the island where Wordsworth used to picnic. As dreamy a Lake District afternoon as we can imagine!
Grasmere is a hugely popular year-round destination, and the village draws a global crowd. The annual Lake Artists Society Summer Exhibition, showcasing work by more than 300 local artists, is especially popular. Whether you’re an art aficionado, a Wordsworth enthusiast or an adventurous rambler eager to soak up the beauty of the countryside, our selection of the best places to stay in Grasmere will help you find the ideal base from which to begin your explorations.
The best places to stay in Grasmere
For a central location
- Moss Grove Organic Hotel is a charming adults-only B&B in the heart of the village. Think big, comfortable bedrooms, smart bathrooms and superb breakfasts featuring local, organic fare. Pick this romantic spot for a strong eco-focus and stellar location.
For the views
- Lancrigg boasts classic, well-appointed rooms in a gorgeous country house setting, with top-notch food and a lovely, laid-back vibe. The thirty acres of splendid lawns, gardens and woodland are a real highlight, and the views are spectacular.
- Raise View is a lovely B&B within easy walking distance of pubs and shops, yet tucked away from the crowds. Cosy rooms are decorated with floral prints or plaid patterns, bathrooms are big and modern and hearty breakfasts gear you up for a day out exploring. Highlights include friendly owners with walking tips aplenty, scrumptious homemade cookies and gorgeous Lake District views!
- The Forest Side offers delectable Michelin-star delights in a beautifully restored Gothic mansion. The twenty rooms are plush and stylish, and 43 acres of gardens superb. Come for the food, stay for the romantic hideaway feel!
For a spa
- The Daffodil Hotel boasts chic, contemporary rooms hidden behind a smart Victorian exterior. Feast on fantastic food and unwind at the spa and masage pool, before retreating to chic, soothing bedrooms, most of which boast free-standing baths and lovely lake views. Tranquil indulgence!
- Rothay Garden Hotel is a smart country house hotel with splendid gardens and gorgeous views, on the edge of the village. Think comfortable rooms, a smart restaurant and a small but superb spa overlooking the river and the fells, perfect for relaxing.
For an apartment or cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner booking.com.
- Grasmere is most easily accessible by road or rail. The nearest train station is in Windermere (9 miles from Grasmere), and there are regular services from around the UK. Hop aboard a bus or taxi to complete your journey.
- Visitors from further afield can fly to Manchester Airport, and catch the train or bus from there. The journey will take less than 1.5 hours.
- Alternatively, contact our partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- This is a hugely popular year-round destination, so do book your trip to Grasmere well in advance!
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Cumbria
- Alternatively, see our pick of the best places to stay in the Lake District
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Grasmere
Best Hotels in Grasmere
Moss Grove Organic Hotel Grasmere (Ambleside) 11 rooms from £114Sights nearby - Lake District Tour from WindermereLocal markets - Sarah Nelson's Gingerbread ShopCycling - The Cyclist's Coast to CoastGreat walks - Coast to Coast Guided Walk
Raise View Grasmere 7 rooms from £125Country Escape - Situated in the heart of the Lake District, it's perfect for a break in the countryside.Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of wonderful walking routes.Sights nearby - Take a trip to nearby Rydal Mount & Gardens.Restrictions on children
Lancrigg Grasmere 10 rooms from £145Country Escape - A quiet spot ideal for walking enthusiasts or those wanting to simply unwind.Great walks - Take scenic walks around Grasmere and Rydal Water.Sailing - Take a cruise on the iconic Lake Windermere.Sights nearby - Visit the William Wordsworth’s homes.Recommended by - Sawdays
The Daffodil Hotel Grasmere 78 rooms from £158Families - With family-suites available and plenty of space for little-ones to run around in. Ideal for those travelling with childrenCountry Escape - A grand country house complete with manicured grounds, a spa, and fine-dining restaurant; a relaxing rural escapeViews - Most of the rooms have stunning views over Grasmere Lake and those that don't look over the Grasmere Valley to Helm CraggGreat walks - Take a hike up one of the famous local fells
An imposing Victorian house set in expansive grounds right beside Grasmere lake. Interiors are chic and contemporary with not a whiff of the building's austere origins. Rooms are bright, with bold colours and lovely indulgent bathrooms. Complete with a spa and excellent restaurant. A luxury escape. See More
Rothay Garden Hotel Grasmere 30 rooms from £180Country Escape - A country house set in pretty gardens just outside Grasmere. Close enough to the sights but away from the crowds.Sailing - Hire a boat and take a relaxing sail across Grasmere Lake or enjoy a cruise around Lake Windermere.Sights nearby - William Wordsworth’s homes at Dove Cottage, Grasmere, & Rydal Mount, RydalGreat walks - Find lovely walks through the fells starting straight from the property
A charming riverside country house hotel set in picturesque gardens just outside Grasmere. Luxurious rooms are bright and contemporary, the best-featuring balconies with river views. The purpose-built spa is an indulgent extra and dinners are an extravagant four-course affair. See More
The Forest Side Grasmere (Keswick Road) 20 rooms from £199Great walks - The Lake District is home to many breathtaking hiking trailsSailing - Hire a rowing boat on nearby GrasmereRomantic - Good for couples.Remote - Off the beaten track.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Recently renovated, The Forest Side is a romantic gothic mansion just outside Grasmere in the heart of the Lake District. Offering chic and spacious accommodation with plenty of light hues, this dog-friendly spot boasts 43 acres of superb gardens and stunning cuisine. A top-notch country retreat! See More