Search the best hotels in Richmond
Richmond is an exceptionally photogenic market town on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales. The town perches on an outcrop overlooking the River Swale and there are some wonderful views to be had right from the centre of town.
The ruins of Richmond Castle occupy the prime position overseeing the river -you get one of the best views in town from the top of its keep. Behind the castle you’ll find a large market square surrounded by cobbled streets lined with ancient stone cottages and their replacement Georgian and Regency buildings. Some of these have now been converted into the best places to stay in Richmond.
Things not to miss:
- The busiest day in Richmond is Saturday market day and the square (one of the largest in England) brims with locals and folk from the surrounding region.
- Walk up to the beautiful remains of the castle that was refered to 'a casterly' at Richmond in the Domesday Book.
- Visitors might like to see the Richmondshire Museum and the Green Howards Regimental Museum - the Green Howards are a famous Yorkshire regiment.
The town is a popular year round destination, so if you want to bag a bed in one of the best places to stay in Richmond, don't leave it till the last minute.
The Best Places to stay in Richmond
The Best Places to Stay in Richmond for town centre B&B
Millgate House is a charming Regency era B&B, full of art and antiques with an award-winning garden. There are just three bedrooms starting from £110 per night, all generously proportioned.
For a rural inn
- The Hack & Spade is a small converted coaching inn with five rooms. Cosy, with a lovely restaurant, you’re a bit out of town in a beautiful Yorkshire valley, so it makes for a perfect country retreat.
For a private apartment or cottage
- Browse the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The best options for flying are either Leeds or Newcastle.
- Having a car is key for exploring Richmond and the surrounding area, so visit our car hire partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Richmond is from June to September, when the temperature sits in the high teens and early twenties.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Richmond
Castle House 5 rooms from £100Richmond (North Yorkshire)
A boutique property located in the heart of the historic town of Richmond. Individually styled rooms are luxurious and cosy with patterned wallpaper, antique furniture and the best have four posters and open fires. Expect indulgent breakfasts and an ever-friendly welcome.Local exploring - Ideally located to explore the historic town and its surrounding countryside.Great walks - Find a wide variety of walking trails starting straight from the edge of town.Sights nearby - Visit the ruins of the Norman fortress, Richmond Castle.Restrictions on children - Children over 5 years old are welcome
The Hack & Spade 5 rooms from £120Richmond, Yorkshire
Old coaching inn turned cosy B&B situated in a beautiful Yorkshire valley. Individually designed rooms with sleek en-suites. Delicious seasonal, locally-sourced food in the restaurant. The perfect spot for a country escape and ideal for keen walkers.Restrictions on children - Children must be over 7Great walks - Good for walkers.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Secluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Millgate House 3 rooms from £125Richmond, Yorkshire
Regency townhouse, now B&B, in the heart of Richmond known for its award-winning garden, love of art and antiques. Three large bedrooms exude comfort and classic style. Breakfast in the dining room or in the garden. Dinners can be arranged for groups. Charming find in a historic Yorkshire town.Sights nearby - Check out Norman-built Richmond Castle and Friary Tower and Gardens, both an easy five minute walk from the property.Local markets - Explore the cobbled streets of Richmond, orgianlly a market town it remains a gathering point for local producers.Great walks - Head out to Yorkshire Dales National Park for some fresh air and brisk walking.Restrictions on children - Children welcome, however good behavour is required.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays