The 18 Best Hotels for The Yorkshire Dales National Park
The Yorkshire Dales National Park has spectacular countryside: think rolling green hills, stone walls and narrow roads edged on either side by sheep-specked moorland, and there’s a wealth of charming hotels to choose from. Our recommendations for the best hotels in the Yorkshire Dales National Park doesn't necessarily feature the priciest properties in the region, but we do appreciate something extra: great, friendly service, wonderful views and good food are all key, but we also love good value, and we've chosen some hotels purely on that score. So why not browse through our collection and start planning your next break?
For a hotel within the Yorkshire Dales National Park
- The Burgoyne Hotel in the village of Reeth near Richmond is a traditionally decorated country house-style hotel, with eight comfortable bedrooms and a pretty garden with fabulous views.
- The White Lion Inn is a traditional inn, recently restored, with wonderful original features like wooden beams, open log fires and flagstone floors. It has nine, beautifully dressed rooms which are cosy too, and a restaurant serving classic British fare, plus a great pub!
For the charm
- Beck Hall is a charming white house set in picturesque and rugged countryside. Traditionally designed rooms have a warm rustic feel, with hardwood furniture and exposed beams. The superb restaurant serves modern British fare using local produce. An utterly idyllic rural retreat.
- Low Mill Guesthouse is another charming property, brimming with character, set in a renovated 18th century mill near Askrigg. The mix of original mill features with eccentric furnishings gives the rooms particular charm. Delicious home cooked breakfast can be enjoyed in the atmospheric dining room. A quirky, rural property.
For a romantic escape
- Stow House is a large, country vicarage with a cool, modern makeover offering uncluttered, light-filled rooms and glorious views over Wensleydale. Expect contemporary art, in-room bathtubs, vintage furnishings, sensational cocktails and a tranquil atmosphere - the perfect recipe for a boutique romantic break.
- For luxurious pampering in the Dales head for The Devonshire Arms Hotel and Spa on the Duke of Devonshire's Bolton Abbey Estate. There is a 3AA Rosette restaurant as well as a brasserie, and the spa facilities in the Health Barn are top class with a lovely pool and indulgent treatments on offer.
- Hipping Hall Hotel is a grand country house that has been carefully renovated within. Expect fresh modern interiors with added indulgences such as luxe linens and deep soaking tubs. Complete with fine dining and spa treatments - this is a spoiling choice.
- Part of the same group as the Devonshire Arms above (which is obviously a good choice for serious foodies too), the Devonshire Fell Hotel is a pub with rooms in the pretty village of Burnsall. The decor is bright, bold and contemporary, the bedrooms are generously proportioned and ideal for families and the atmosphere is laid back and friendly. Guests at the Fell have full access to the spa facilities at the Devonshire Arms.
- The Wensleydale Heifer has five dedicated chefs, an award winning contemporary restaurant and a less formal fish bar. The rooms are as creative as the food with a wonderful array of unusually themed bedrooms from the James Herriot to the swanky Night at the Movies!
- The Lister Arms near Malham is a good spot for walkers. Situated on the Pennine Way, it has a cosy popular bar, (which welcomes canine as well as human customers), comfortable functional bedrooms and good home cooking.
- The Punch Bowl Inn situated halfway along Swaledale has great views, a friendly bar, good food and comfortable unfussy bedrooms. Perfect for tired, hungry, thirsty walkers.
- The award-winning Charles Bathurst Inn is a sister establishment to the Punch Bowl, and offers the same homely mix of good food and no-nonsense bedrooms for a good night's sleep.
- Austwick Hall is a lovingly converted manor house offering an authentic country house ecape. Grand interiors feature roaring fires, wood panelled walls, antique furniture and rugs, and free-standing baths. Set in 13 acres of grounds and surrounded by lovely walks - this is a great option for a rural escape.
For an historic hotel
- The Angel Inn at Hetton is a former cattle drovers' inn - parts of which are over 500 years old. Comfy, oak-beamed rooms are traditionally decorated with flowery fabrics and furnished nooks. In summer, visitors can eat outside and admire Cracoe Fell. Oh and it's got a Michelin star!
For great value
- The Traddock is a welcoming Georgian country house hotel sitauted on the edge of the National Park, with lovely views and a good restaurant serving local food. The 12 bedrooms are decorated individually with a mixture of modern and antique furniture and start from just £95 per night.
For a pub
- The King's Head is an award-winning pub with traditional design and a delicious modern British menu. Owner managed, very well-priced, and surrounded by great walks - this is a great option for a laid back stay.
- The Foresters Arms is a delightfull village pub and a real community hub (it was actually the community that brought the pub back to life). With just three cosy rooms, hearty British fare, and a great selection of local ales - pick this property for a truly authentic stay.
- Skeldale House is a charming five bedroom B&B set in a quaint village. Rooms are traditional with cast iron beds, floral motifs, and fireplaces. Owner managed, relaxed, and serving hearty breakfasts - this is a cosy choice.
Still not sure where to book?
- Expand your search to include the 10 Best Hotels for the North York Moors National Park,
- or the best places to stay in Yorkshire
- refine your search to the best places to stay in Richmond,
- or the best places to stay in Harrogate,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The Devonshire Arms Hotel and Spa Skipton, Yorkshire 40 rooms from £168Hideaway - Mouthwatering food, wonderful service, plenty of activities and old school suites complete with fourposters and walk in showers.Active Holiday - With miles of walking, plus clay pigeon shooting, fly-fishing, and falconry available at Bolton Abbey Estate.Spa - The Devonshire is a peaceful oasis with pool, treatment rooms, sauna, hot tub, Rasul temple & relaxation areaFishing - Fly fishing for brown trout and grayling along a 4.5 mile stretch of River Wharfe.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Great Small Hotels
The former Coaching Inn on the Duke of Devonshire's Bolton Abbey estate is now a romantic hideaway spa hotel. Classic rooms exude comfort and style. 3 AA Rosette fine dining, a brasserie, indoor pool and stunning parkland setting makes this a popular place for families, wedding parties and romance. See More
The White Lion Inn Yorkshire 9 rooms from £100Country Escape - Situated in the lovely Yorkshire Dales with beautiful landscape all aroundRestaurant - Gorgeous modern British cuisine on offer along with pub classicsBack to Nature - Situated in the Yorkshire Dales nestled beneath Buckden PikeFull of character
Located in the Yorkshire Dales, the White Lion is recently restored and has kept traditional features including original beams, open log fire and flagstone floors. Beautifully dressed, cosy rooms, a restaurant with classic British fare and a great pub. What more do you need for a weekend away? See More
Devonshire Fell Hotel Burnsall, Yorkshire 16 rooms from £139Foodies - Feast on the locally sourced 1AA Rosette cuisine in the stylish restaurant, followed by a drink in the cosy bar.Country Escape - On the edge of the Yorkshire Dales National Park, surrounded by rolling hills and scenic country.Great walks - Bring your dog and head out rambling among rolling hills, country lanes and along the River Wharfe.Sights nearby - The UNESCO heritage sights of Bolton Abbey Estate and Fountains Abbey are a short drive away.Recommended by - Sawdays
The Traddock Austwick, Yorkshire 12 rooms from £125Foodies - Award winning restaurant, serving organic, locally sourced foodCountry Escape - Seemingly endless outdoor activities availableKayaking - With Yorkshire Dales GuidesGreat walks - "Three Peaks" of WhernsideRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Comfortable, charming Georgian country house hotel in stunning surroundings on the edge of the Dales. A picturesque garden, cosy bedrooms and sitting room. Award-winning restaurant with organic food and lovely views. Great country pursuits on the doorstep - a good spot for cyclists. See More
The Lister Arms nr Skipton, Yorkshire 9 rooms from £80Country Escape - Enjoy great ales and food at this postcard pretty inn situated in the National Trust's Malham village.Great walks - Explore In the beautiful Yorkshire Dales National Park section of the National Trial, Pennine Way.Sights nearby - Guests should visit the pretty market town of Skipton.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Sawdays
A gloriously situated coaching inn, on the Pennine Way, in the Yorkshire Dales National Park. Pretty rooms with soft hues and lovely views. Unwind in the buzzy bar with dogs, fires and home cooking. The perfect base for walkers and those looking for some peace and tranquility. See More
Angel Inn Near Skipton, Yorkshire 9 rooms from £150Foodies - Knockout food crafted from the finest ingredients, former owner was dubbed “Godfather of the Gastropub". One Michelin StarCountry Escape - An ideal escape surrounded by wonderful walking in the Yorkshire countryside.Great walks - Between the world heritage sights and the rolling hills and beautiful valleys, a walk is definitely in order.Restaurant - Two options avaliable, one with a Michelin star and 4 AA RosettesRecommended by - Sawdays
15th Century drovers' inn, converted in the 1950s to a popular pub in the Dales. Oak beams and chic interiors make the comfortable rooms ooze character. The restaurant serves excellent modern British food. Do not miss a chance to explore the wine cave. Great walking from the door. See More
Punch Bowl Inn, Yorkshire Richmond, Yorkshire 11 rooms from £95Groups - Enjoy the special package for groups, offering you afternoon tea, champagne reception, full breakfast and a three course meal.Country Escape - A wonderful retreat from city life, long walks, comfy beds, plenty of pints and hearty meals.Sights nearby - Half an hours drive brings you to the town of Richmond, famed for its Georgian Theatre and Richmond Castle.Great walks - An ideal location for exploring the many walking routes through the Yorkshire Dales National Park.Recommended by - Sawdays
A charming and characterful 17th century coaching inn in the village of Low Row. Sister hotel to the Charles Bathurst - simple, comfortable with fantastic food and excellent location. Stylish rooms offer fantastic views of the prime walking country of the Yorkshire Dales. See More
Charles Bathurst Inn Arkengarthdale, Yorkshire 19 rooms from £95Back to Nature - Situated in the spectacular Yorkshire DalesActive Holiday - Ideal for walkers, cyclers and horse ridersGreat walks - The rural, rugged dales provide miles of walking territoryLocal markets - Centred between several small market towns
Burgoyne Hotel Richmond, Yorkshire 11 rooms from £120Sights nearby - Explore one of the many nearby castles including Richmond, Bolton and MiddlehamFishing - Fishing in Thornton Steward Reservoir and the River SwaleGreat walks - An abundance of walking routes directly from the hotelTennis - Court hire is available in ReethRecommended by - Sawdays
The King's Head Skipton, Yorkshire 6 rooms from £70Bar - Voted one of Britain's Best Pubs by Sunday TimesRestaurant - Delicious food using locally sourced fresh produce.Local markets - Good for local colour.Great walks - Good for walkers.
Skeldale House Leyburn, Yorkshire 5 rooms from £80Active Holiday - With the Yorkshire Dales on your doorstep and the plethora of outdoor pursuits it holds there's something for everyone here.Sights nearby - Visit the imposing Bolton Castle which once housed Mary Queen of Scots.Great walks - Take the 4.5 mile walk to the spectacular Aysgarth Falls.Full of character
The Foresters Arms Yorkshire 3 rooms from £85Country Escape - A charming village pub set in beautiful cycling and walking country.Sights nearby - Visit Middleham Castle, built in 1170 and known to be a favourite home of Richard III.Great walks - Know as the 'forgotten dale', find miles of unspoilt countryside to be explored.Full of character
Beck Hall Skipton, Yorkshire 18 rooms from £85Active Holiday - With abundant hiking trails, natural scenery and wildlife to explore, you will spend your days on foot and evenings by the fireHideaway - Tucked away in the magical Yorkshire Dales, the village of Malham is a true escapeSights nearby - Visit Wensleydale Creamery to see how England's famous cheese is producedGreat walks - Walk the Winterburn Reservoir trails through the Yorkshire DalesRecommended by - Sawdays
A charming white house set in the picturesque and rugged scenery of the Yorkshire Dales. Traditionally designed rooms have a warm rustic feel, with hardwood furniture and exposed beams. The superb restaurant serves modern British fare using local produce. An utterly idyllic rural retreat. See More
Low Mill Guesthouse Leyburn, Yorkshire 3 rooms from £110Active Holiday - The perfect cosy base to return to during a walking or cycling holiday in Yorkshire.Country Escape - The ideal spot for a hideaway holiday exploring the Yorkshire Dales.Great walks - Beautiful walking in surrounding countryside including a riverside walk to the stunning Aysgarth Falls.Sights nearby - History buffs must be sure to check out the nearby Bolton Castle.Recommended by - Sawdays, Good Hotel Guide
A charming guesthouse, brimming with character, set in a renovated 18th century mill. The mix of original mill features with eccentric furnishings, gives the rooms peculiar charm. Delicious home cooked breakfast that can be enjoyed in the atmospheric dining room. A quirky, rural property. See More
Stow House Yorkshire 7 rooms from £110Sights nearby - Aysgarth Falls and Hawes village with Wensleydale Creamery are both nearby.Great walks - Beautiful walks in the surrounding Aysgarth area.House party feel - Be prepared to meet people.Boutique
The Wensleydale Heifer Leyburn, Yorkshire 14 rooms from £120Suites - Suites are all individually decorated and themed, choose from Choclate Heaven, 007, Black Sheep or Champagne suiteRestaurant - Awarding wining restaurant, expect locally sourced food and wonderful proper Yorkshire breakfastsSitting Room - Comfortable leather armchairs, log fires and afternoon tea after a walk in the DalesRural - Ideal base for exploring the Yorkshire Dales National Park
Situated in the beautiful Yorkshire Dales National Park between Leyburn and Hawes, the Wensleydale Heifer has five dedicated chefs, an award winning contemporary restaurant and a less formal fish bar. Wonderful array of unusual themed bedrooms from the James Herriot to the swanky Night at the Movies See More
Austwick Hall Via Lancaster, Yorkshire 4 rooms from £125Country Escape - House with plenty of history, and superb unusual gardens to wander through, it is a slice of peace and quietSights nearby - Lawkland Hall is one mile from hotelGreat walks - Through the 13 acres of the gardensFull of characterRecommended by - Sawdays