- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Sandwich
Famed as the home of Lord Sandwich and his creation of the you know what, Sandwich was actually once the fourth largest city in the UK! An astounding fact, seeing as today it’s more of a beautiful heritage village, set around quiet, medieval lanes, timber framed houses and properly ancient churches. Surprisingly the town makes very little fuss about being the home of the Fourth Earl’s invention, which allowed him to gamble all night without smudging his cards. There is a beautiful Art Deco cinema and 1920s motor garage. There are more listed than unlisted buildings and that goes for the best places to stay in Sandwich too.
What Not To Miss
- Head around the Richborough Roman Fort and Amphitheatre - preferably with an audio guide so that you can learn about its rich history.
- Or, wander around the Salutation Gardens on a sunny day taking in the wide variety of plant life before stopping off for High Tea.
- If you want to find out more about the area's past then visit The Guildhall Museum, home to one of the original copies of the Magna Carta.
In such a lovely town many of the best places to stay are booked up quickly so plan your visit well ahead.
On the river front
- The Bell Hotel is an elegant hotel right on the riverfront. There are 37 rooms, all of them generously proportioned and decorated in a contemporary stylish fashion and a seafood restaurant.
- The Salutation is an impressive Lutyens mansion right in the heart of town, which has been sympathetically converted into a collection of nine rooms and cottages. There’s a wonderful garden, also designed by Lutyens, and they don’t allow children under 16 - so it’s perfect for a peaceful break.
For the Coast
- Located in nearby Ramsgate, the recently renovated Albion House offers chic accommodation in light hues as well as top-notch bar with splendid views. Come back after a day exploring the coast to unwind by the log fire.
For An Apartment or Holiday Home
- If you prefer the privacy of self-catering then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- If you want to make the most of your coastal surroundings then it's best to visit in the summer, with the average daily temperature rising to 18°C in July and August.
- International visitors can fly into Southend Airport, 55km away, or the larger London Gatwick Airport, 107km away. From the airport, you can take the train on to Sandwich.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Sandwich
The Salutation 9 rooms from $208Sandwich, Kent
Impressive Lutyens mansion in town centre with rooms/cottages for guests in the wonderful garden. Private and secluded stay, ideal for groups of friends or grown-up families.Garden - 3 and a half acres of Lutyens and Jekyll designed gardensRestrictions on children - No children under 16.Full of characterRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays