- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Amherst
Amherst is the perfect spot for a weekend break if you enjoy historic and beautiful surrounds. It’s a New England University town with a prestigious college and if you visit in term time - then many of the charmingly rural views will be augmented by a serious, possibly tweedy, young person reading studiously. The best places to stay in Amherst range from quaint B&Bs to all out New England luxury, but if you’re looking for something special then our Guru’s top choice is for you.
What Not To Miss
- If you come in the Autumn for the spectacular colours of the New England Fall, then you’ll also be here for peak farmer’s market season, you’re also likely to see some apple picking and hay riding going on.
- In Spring and Summer you’ll still be spoilt for choice if you appreciate local produce and there are some great restaurants, cafes and bars in which to enjoy them.
- The views from the hiking trails and beauty spots will impress at any time of year.
- Amherst is built around the University of Massachusetts - plus Amherst College and Hampshire College - so touring the universities is an obvious way to get a sense of the place.
- Amherst is also where you’ll find the Emily Dickinson Museum, converted from the homestead where she lived and the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Amherst is the perfect base whatever your reason for visiting.
Best places to stay in Amherst
For an historical property
- The Lord Jeffery Inn is a classic New England home from home, with antiques, modern bathrooms and unique rooms all surrounded by maple trees. There’s also an American restaurant specialising in dishes of locally sourced ingredients.
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday - don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for properties with wonderful views.
- Fly to Bradley International Airport located 72km (45 miles) from Amherst with flight connections all over the USA and to Canada and Europe.
- Alternatively, catch a train to Amherst with rail links to New York and Washington, although more frequent rail services are available from nearby Springfield.
- If you want to rent a car to explore Amherst's lovely surroundings, visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - Autumn is most popular because the foliage is spectacular.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Amherst
The Lord Jeffery Inn 49 rooms from £180Amherst (Massachusetts)
1926 classic New England home away from home among maple trees and Amherst College. Antique furnishing, fine linens and modern bathrooms make up the unique rooms. 30 Boltwood offers American cuisine with fresh, locally sourced ingredients. Perfect spot for a weekend break or a history buffs dream.Views - Great views from hotelFull of characterFour poster beds - For romantics.Great walks - Good for walkers.