Search the best hotels in Healdsburg
The Sonoma wine region's coolest town, once-sleepy Healdsburg has emerged as a sophisticated spot for foodies and wine aficionados. With a growing number of visitors drawn to the area each year, Healdsburg boasts a burgeoning array of accommodation options, including everything from classic inns to luxurious boutique hotels. Most of the best places to stay in Healdsburg are in the heart of town - perfect for on-foot explorations - but one of our favourite properties is an enchanting rural resort surrounded by acres of vineyards.
Blessed with fertile soil and nestled amidst world-class wineries, Healdsburg is also home to bustling farmers' markets, farm-to-table eateries and hip cafés. Expect plenty of open cellar doors and trendy tasting rooms, but do be prepared to book your table in advance. Saturday and Sunday lunchtimes are especially popular with weekend visitors from San Francisco. For a sense of the town's history, head to Healdsburg Plaza. This is a great place for some people-watching with a cup of coffee or a glass of wine, too.
Much of Healdsburg's charm lies in its unspoilt architecture and laid-back atmosphere, although gentrification is most definitely on its way. Stroll around the town centre, or borrow a bike to tour the wineries, many of which can be found lining Dry Creek Road and Westside Road. There are hiking trails criss-crossing the countryside in all directions, as well as a lovely river for canoeing and kayaking with the kids.
Many of the best places to stay in Healdsburg are quaint and cosy inns, but there are some swish contemporary hotels too, as well as wonderfully romantic hideaways for honeymooners or couples. Book a room in a characterful hotel and hit the town for fabulous food and wine in a charming Northern California setting!
The best places to stay in Healdsburg
For contemporary cool
- Harmon Guest House is a chic, contemporary hideaway featuring locally-sourced artwork and upcycled furniture. Named for Healdsburg's pioneering founder, Harmon Heald, the hotel celebrates the town's quirky, creative soul. Rooms are soothing and spacious, with lovely textile touches and leafy views. The rooftop bar and terrace is a real plus, as are the pool and the central location! A very cool, luxurious choice for creative travellers eager to unwind.
- H2Hotel offers the perfect eco-escape in 36 beautifully-appointed rooms with an impressive green focus. Inspired by nature, the hotel's design uses natural materials, encouraging biodiversity and protecting the nearby creek through its sustainable architecture. Expect clutter-free rooms, a lovely pool and spa, and funky communual areas -- including the friendly Spoonbar. And there's a great wine list! One for fun families or eco-minded couples.
- Hotel Healdsburg is a modern boutique property clad in wisteria and surrounded by attractive gardens. The 55 rooms are fresh and elegant, there's a lovely pool and a small spa, but the real draw is the food. Feast on superb seasonal dishes at Charlie Palmer's Dry Creek Kitchen, where the wine list stretches to 500 bottles, or enjoy wood-fired delights at Pizzando -- a sure-fire foodie and family hit.
- Single Thread is a two-Michelin-starred restaurant specialising in organic Japanese fare, much of which is grown on the property's farm, seven miles from town. Come for the fabulous food, and stay in one of five swish white-and-grey bedrooms. A gorgeous foodie paradise.
- Madrona Manor is a striking rural escape with 22 gorgeous guestrooms and suites set on a scenic estate, with views of the Dry Creek Valley. Many of the majestic Mansion rooms feature four-poster beds and antiques original to the Victorian building. The icing on the cake is the Michelin-starred restaurant, where Chef Mallgren's evolving menu showcases local and organic produce. With candle-lit dinners and romantic suites, this is a brilliant, adults-only pick for food-loving couples.
- Hotel Les Mars is a beautiful little hotel, offering 16 romantic rooms infused with Parisian-style charm. Think canopied four-posters with rich jewel-toned fabrics and deep hydrotherapy jet tubs in opulent bedrooms and bathrooms. The Chalkboard Restaurant is a delight, and the team can organise wine tours and tastings aplenty. Pick this place for classic elegance and old-world luxury. Great for honeymoons!
- Duchamp Hotel is an appealing boutique spot with just six minimalist suites nestled in a verdant garden. Kick back with a glass of the good stuff on your private patio, take a dip in the 50m heated pool, or make the most of the super-central location to sample Healdsburg's best eateries, shops and galleries. A tranquil base for intimate couples.
For a Classic Inn
- Grape Leaf Inn features 13 prettily-appointed bedrooms in a historic Queen Anne-style home built in 1905. Expect traditional wallpapers and stained-glass windows offset by sleek, contemporary touches. The big table d'hôte breakfasts are brilliant for sociable travellers. Owned by wine-makers, this is an excellent pick for relaxed foodies or wine lovers, who can natter away to the experts!
- Healdsburg Inn on the Plaza is a classic Californian inn, located in the heart of the action on historic Healdsburg Plaza. The 12 rooms are sophisticated yet understated, decorated in calm tones and with cosy linens on big beds. Kick off your evening with the property's wine & hors d'oeuvres - a wonderful touch! An elegant, central and grown-up choice.
- Calderwood Inn is another Queen Anne-style hotel owned by knowledgeable wine-makers. This time, interiors are smart and traditional, with attractive antique pieces, twinkling chandeliers and intricate wallpaper designs in much of the house. Some of the ten spacious rooms and suites boast private patios. Old-fashioned charm.
For a luxurious rural resort
- Montage Healdsburg is an exceptional wine country retreat, with 130 super-swish rooms and suites scattered across more than 200 acres of spectacular countryside. Luxurious bungalow-style accommodation features private decks with enchanting views, the enormous spa offers an array of rejuvenating treatments and there are terrific eateries to try. Ideal for couples or families, who will adore all the family-friendly activites!
For an apartment or holiday cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Santa Rosa Airport (STS), and take a 15-minute taxi to Healdsburg. Alternatively, travel to San Francisco Airport, and take the subway across the city to catch a bus to Healdsburg via Santa Rosa. This overland route should take around 3.5 hours by public transport, or less than 1.5 hours by car, making Healdsburg a popular weekend escape from San Francisco.
- California's wine country is brilliant for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Summers in Healdsburg are hot and sunny. Time your trip for the harvest season (September or October) for slightly cooler weather and a very special atmosphere at the wineries!
Still not sure?
- Explore our pick of all the best places to stay in Santa Rosa.
- Broaden your search to include the best places to stay in California.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Healdsburg
Best Hotels in Healdsburg
Hotel Les Mars Healdsburg (California) 16 rooms from £215Whirlpool Bathtub - Many of the rooms come with hydrotherapy jet soaking tubsKayaking - Head to Lake Sonoma Recreational Area.Fishing - Dry Creek for fishing rainbow trout.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Heart of Sonoma Wine Country with wineries, art galleries and restaurants on the doorstep. Classically decorated rooms with fireplaces, Italian linens, marble bathrooms and breakfast. The true gateway to the world of Californian vineyards to be explored by balloon, bicycle, foot or on horseback. See More
H2Hotel Healdsburg (California) 36 rooms from £171Wine tasting - Situated in the heart of Northern Sonoma wine countryKayaking - The Russian RiverSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, I Escape
Cool eco-friendly hotel that uses organic materials and nature inspired design to create a relaxing and welcoming environment. Bedrooms are clutter free with bamboo floors and fresh cotton linens. Relax at the hotel pool and bar or get out and explore the fantastic countryside and activities nearby. See More
Calderwood Inn Healdsburg (California) 10 rooms from £183Local exploring - This is the place to stay for wine enthusiasts. Explore the area by day and taste by night at one of the town's many restaurantsWine tasting - Healdsburg is located at the intersection of 3 wine regions; Russian River Valley, Alexander Valley & Dry Creek ValleyGreat walks - Optima Winery, Seghesio Winery and Toad Hollow Vineyards are 10 minutes walk from the innSights nearby - San Francisco is less than an hour's drive, should you fancy visiting its sites
Charming Queen Anne-style home built in 1902 located in central Healdsburg. Owned and run by a family of local winemakers, the inn is set in English country gardens with a cosy terrace and inviting sitting room. Many of the suites have high-ceilings, antiques, fireplaces and stained-glass windows. See More
Grape Leaf Inn Healdsburg (California) 13 rooms from £187Wine tasting - Sonoma County, known for its vineyards and vistas, is prime wine country. Get tips on where to go from your knowledgeable hostsLocal exploring - Located distance to the town's restaurants and wineries and a good base from which to explore the valley's many vineyardsLocal markets - Sheltons Natural Foods Market is just 300m from the propertyCooking classes - Check for timings.
Owned by winemakers, this historic Queen Anne-style home dates from 1905. Located in an exclusive Healdsburg area, the inn is set in English country gardens and has a terrace where you can enjoy a home-cooked breakfast. 13 rooms are cosy yet contemporary; some have stained-glass windows and murals. See More
Harmon Guest House Healdsburg 39 rooms from £226Local exploring - Whether you prefer to explore the town's wineries or venture into the countryside, there is lots to explore local to this hotelCountry Escape - Set in a charming town in Sonoma County, this hotel offers easy access to pretty country walksRomantic Break - With a stylish rooftop bar and terrace, this hotel is perfect for a romantic couples' getawayGreat walks - Wander into town and browse independent boutiques or head out for a long country walk from the hotelRecommended by - Design Hotels, Tablet, Mr & Mrs Smith
This boutique hotel sits between Fitch Mountain, the Sonoma hills and downtown Healdsburg. Interiors feature locally-sourced artwork and upcycled furniture. Guestrooms focus on texture, with textile headboards and cosy throws contrasting with the tiled shower area. A smart stay for creative couples. See More
Madrona Manor Healdsburg 22 rooms from £230Country Escape - A lovely rural setting overlooking Sonoma County’s renowned Dry Creek ValleyWine tasting - Set nearby some of the best vineyards of Northern California's Wine CountryRestaurant - Fine dining restaurant open Weds-Sunday featuring a la carte and tasting menus all accompanied by superb local winesGreat walks - Take a stroll along the numerous nature trails
An elegant rural house offering a secluded setting with fabulous views of Dry Creek Valley. Luxurious rooms are traditionally dressed with rich hues, antiques, fireplaces, and some with private terrace. Mature gardens with large pool and fine-dining restaurant. An idyllic romantic hideaway. See More
Healdsburg Inn on the Plaza Healdsburg 12 rooms from £230Cooking classes - Just a couple blocks west, cooking classes teach what to do with delectables from the Farmers Market.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Full of characterTraditional
A classic Californian inn, located right in the centre of the action on the historic Healdsburg Plaza. The rooms are sophisticated yet understated, with neutral tones and plush linens. Kick off your evening with their complimentary wine and hors d' oeuvres. Simple, elegant and grown up. See More
Hotel Healdsburg Healdsburg (California) 55 rooms from £241Wine tasting - Explore the nearby wineries of California's Sonoma wine regionRestaurant - Fine dining at the Dry Creek Kitchen or something more relaxded at Pizzando.Local markets - Healdsburg Farmers MarketGreat walks - Culinary Walking ToursRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet
A modern boutique hotel, draped in gorgeous wisteria, with a great outdoor garden and swimming pool with shady terrace seating area. Guest rooms are simply yet elegantly decorated with dark wood floors and polished concrete in the bathrooms. A variety of dining spots and a small relaxing spa. See More
Duchamp Hotel Healdsburg 6 rooms from £293Weddings - With beautiful gardens and exclusive wedding packages, this hotel is the perfect spot for nuptialsLocal exploring - Explore Sonoma wine country either by car, bike or footAdult OnlySwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
A boutique hotel in Healdsburg, a quaint village in Sonoma wine country. Six luxurious and modern suites feature private terraces, fireplaces and spa showers. Complete with a heated pool and jacuzzi and, of course, a superb collection of local wines; this is an indulgent and intimate stay. See More
Montage Healdsburg Healdsburg 130 rooms from £464Country Escape - A luxury escape set in 258 acres of rolling vineyards and oak tree grovesSpa breaks - The state-of-the-art spa serves up an array of nature-inspired treatmentsFamilies - Well crafted immersive children's activitesFoodies - Fine dining paired with wines of the region
Single Thread Healdsburg 5 rooms from £741Foodies - Dine at the two michelin star restaurant boasting an impressive 11 course tasting menu, made with the owner's farm produceRestaurant - The two-michelin star restaurant boasts an eleven-course tasting menu Kaiseki-style based on 72 micro-seasonsRestrictions on children - Only children over the age of 12 are allowed to stayRestaurant with rooms - Two-michelin star restaurant with 5 guestroomsRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
A two-Michelin star Japanese organic restaurant with five guestrooms in the centre of town. Rooms are contemporary and slick with redwood beams, gas fireplaces and spacious marble bathrooms. Guests can indulge in an innovative breakfast and the incredible 11-course tasting menu. A foodies paradise. See More