Search the best hotels in Lana'i
Nicknamed ‘Pineapple Island’ for what was once its biggest export, Lana'i is the most central of Hawaii’s islands, and the most unspoilt. With just one city, an abundance of lush vegetation, as well as landscapes dominated by Cook and Norfolk pines, Lana'i has an appealingly tranquil, secluded feel. A selection of excellent accommodation options — from small boutique spots to expansive luxury resorts — cater to a whole array of tastes and budgets.
18 miles across at its widest point, Lana'i is a brilliant pick for travellers looking to soak up nature’s many marvels. Admire the dramatic landscapes of Keahiakawelo in the Kanepu'u Preserve, peer over Kahekili’s Leap and amble between Hulopoʻe and Manele Bays to see the legendary Puʻu Pehe islet. If you’re looking to delve into Lana'i’s past, the Lanai Culture & Heritage Centre and Keālia Kapu & Kaunolū archaeological site are the best places to visit. The Pōāiwa Petroglyph Trail at Shipwreck Beach also makes for fascinating exploring. Don’t miss the award-winning artwork on display at the Mike Carroll Gallery in Lana'i City, or the quirky Lana'i Cat Sanctuary.
There are ample opportunities to try snorkelling and diving near Hulopo’e Beach Marine Reserve, to go fishing or sailing, and to spend days hiking, wildlife-spotting or cycling in spectacular surroundings. With some of Hawaii’s best beaches, Lana'i is also the perfect place to simply sunbathe, take a dip in the clear ocean waters, and treat yourself to restorative spa treatments followed by fabulous fresh fare.
Almost entirely owned by Larry Ellison since 2012, this little gem is a magical and mysterious destination for a tranquil island escape. The best places to stay in Lana'i fill up fast — book your trip well in advance to avoid missing out!
The Best Places to Stay in Lana'i
For a Heritage City Stay
- Hotel Lanai boasts 11 characterful rooms in a heritage property surrounded by verdant gardens. Set in the centre of Lanai City, this is a brilliant base for couples, friends or families looking to explore the island. Intimate and charming.
For a Wellness Retreat
- Sensei Lanai is a superbly indulgent adults-only wellness retreat in Lana'i's leafy interior. Pick this place for a secluded escape, with beautiful white-on-white rooms, individual well-being consultations, rejuvenating spa treatments, fitness classes and wonderful opportunities to explore the island. The Nobu dining experience is a real highlight! Total bliss.
For Beachfront Luxury
- Four Seasons Resort Lanai promises an elegant oceanfront stay with sophisticated rooms and suites influenced by Japanese minimalism and featuring natural materials. Expect impressive sea views, a wide array of activities for children and grownups, a pampering spa and award-winning cuisine. A top-notch resort luxury for guests of all ages. Great for weddings and honeymoons, too.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Lana'i Airport and travel to your destination by bus or taxi. Alternatively, catch one of five daily ferries from Maui, where there is a larger international airport. Most hotels will be happy to arrange an airport pickup in advance.
- There's lots of explore by car in Lana'i! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- You can expect brilliant year-round weather, with temperatures averaging at around 27°C. December and July are peak season, and hotels book up fast during the school holidays. Come in the spring (April - May) or autumn (September - October) for fewer crowds and great hotel deals.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Browse our list of the best places to stay in Maui.
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Hawaii.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Lana'i
Best Hotels in Lana'i
Hotel Lanai Lanai City, Lana'i 11 rooms from £117Outstanding locationDiving - Scuba diving in such clear waters is a real must for fans of the ocean and sea world.Fishing - Deep sea fishing out of Manele Harbour and along the coastline.Sailing - Triology Sunset sail for a romantic memory on the sea.
Historical landmark on Lanai Island offers comfort, prime location and privacy. Rooms are spacious and contemporary. Lana'i City Grille is renowned on the island and offers family-style sharing plates. From Hotel Lanai explore by land or by sea, a truly great spot and place to escape to for a break. See More
Sensei Lanai A Four Seasons Resort Lanai City, Lana'i 217 rooms from £507Spa breaks - A wellness retreat. Classes and spa treatments are included and are arranged through a Sensei guideTotal relaxation - With zen gardens, full-service spa and a pool - this is a very relaxing staySpa - Indulge at the ultra zen spa with traditional massage treatments, body wraps and much moreGreat walks - Discover the nearby hiking trails through the serene forest
A chic wellness retreat set amongst a tranquil forest. Contemporary rooms are filled with natural light, neutral colour tones and have private balconies. Rejuvenate with meditation and yoga lessons, spa therapies and exercise classes. Complete with a Nobu restaurant - this is luxury defined. See More
Four Seasons Resort Lanai Lanai, Lana'i 217 rooms from £839Romantic Break - The beach-side location, romantic dining and couples' massages make this perfect for a break for twoFamilies - Well equipped for those travelling with children, the best thing being the superb kids clubGreat walks - Take a guided hike to Pu'upehe, one of Lânai’s most iconic landmarksRomantic - Good for couples.
The Four Seasons know how to do luxury and this Hawaiin offering is no letdown. Elegant rooms are made with local wood and have a sophisticated minimalist Japanese feel. Dine in the casual poolside restaurant or dress-up and feast at Nobu. With a number of pools and a spa this is a spoiling stay. See More