Search the best hotels in Hawaii
Choosing the best places to stay in Hawaii is hard work. Many of them have amazing views, private beaches and extraordinary resort facilities. Some are lodged deep in the jungle, whilst others are right in the heart of the action. All of our Guru’s recommendations for the best places to stay in Hawaii are worthy of a daydream or two.
There’s probably no island group more synonymous with the daydream of a tropical island paradise. Hawaii is as beautiful as you can imagine. Photoshop not required. The beaches are sandy white, fringed with palm trees, the lagoons are gradients of aqua and the coral reefs bursting with colour. There are lush tropical jungles hiding volcanoes and sky-scraping waterfalls. And, of course, there's the vibrant traditional culture.
Most people will start their Hawaiian holiday in Honolulu on O'ahu, and it’s worth spending at least a couple of days in this busy tropical capital. As well as having a number of Hawaii’s best museums and the U.S.’s only royal palace, Honolulu also has a great foodie scene and lively nightlife. And it’s certainly not lacking in natural beauty, or perfect beaches - Waikiki Beach is probably the most famous tourist attraction in Hawaii.
Once you get beyond Honolulu then Hawaii offers one tropical idyll after another. First up let’s talk about the Island of Hawai’i, or the ‘Big Island’. The largest and most dramatic in the group, this is where you might see lava pouring, steaming into the ocean. As well as the ever-changing shape of the island, Hawai’i’s lava deserts, potentially snow-capped peaks, and range of coloured sand - including black, white, gold and green - makes this a pretty memorable tropical island destination.
Next comes Maui, island of many beauties and many adventures. Everything you do here comes with a spectacular backdrop which varies from lava flows, to sky scraping waterfalls, to lush jungles, tropical gardens, bamboo forests, peaks, cliffs and of course as near-to-perfect beaches as you’ll find.
What Not To Miss
- Go visit the moving USS Arizona Memorial, created to remember those who lost their lives during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour.
- Hike through the stunning Waimea Canyon, aka "The Grand Canyon of the Pacific". Marvel at the breathtaking views and be sure to remember your camera!
- Or, head to the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park, complete with its own museum as well as a number of still active volcanoes.
Whichever island you eventually pick, our selection of the best places to stay in Hawaii should tick all the boxes.
The Best Places to Stay in Hawaii
- The Halekulani is a five star hotel on famous Waikiki Beach overlooking Diamond Head. There are around 450 comfortable and well-equipped rooms as well as several well regarded restaurants and extraordinary views.
- If you’re looking for the best place to stay in Hawaii for a city-style break then The Modern in Honolulu is a great choice. It’s a contemporary high-rise hotel with luxurious decor and wonderful sea views. There are also a handful of restaurants, four bars, two spas and a nightclub.
The Island of Hawai'i
- The Mauna Lani Bay Resort sits atop a lava flow, facing out towards the glorious Pacific Ocean. Luxurious, but with an eco-friendly attitude, this resort has all the mod. cons. and more, but is also known for its sea turtle rehabilitation program.
- The Four Seasons Hualalai has luxurious Hawaiian decor, Pacific Ocean views, seven pools, three restaurants and a private beach. They also run dolphin watching and snorkelling trips.
- Travaasa Hana is a collection of 70 cottages surrounded by lush jungle, with the odd break in the tropical foliage for a pool, tennis court, croquet lawn and numerous hot tubs (both private and communal). It gets better though, all of the cottages have ocean views plus there’s a great local menu.
- The Hotel Wailea is on Maui’s southern coast, surrounded by 15 acres of tropical gardens. As well as all the local walking it offers yoga and other fitness classes, whilst there are also lovely nearby beaches and a great Mediterranean restaurant.
- The Four Seasons Maui at Wailea is ideal if you’re looking for a tropical island resort break. There are three beautiful salt water pools, palm trees, sea views, three restaurants, complimentary canoe hire and plenty of exploring to be done nearby.
- Hotel Lanai offers comfortable, tastefully decorated accommodation as well as a lovely in-house restaurant. The perfect spot from which to get to know the island.
For a classic Hawaiian holiday
- Turtle Bay Resort is a stunning choice located right on the coast of Oahu's North Shore. Boasting chic accommodation with wonderful sea views, and large terraces from which to enjoy them, there are also a variety of bars and restaurants to choose from.
For An Apartment Or Villa
- If you've decided that you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Hawaii's dry season runs from April to October and the nicest months are April, May, September and October - the peak of summer can often be pretty humid, especially if you're not used to it.
- International visitors can fly into Daniel K. Inouye International Airport, located in Honolulu. From the airport, you can take a bus or shuttle to other parts of the island.
- Each island has its own airport, so if you're headed elsewhere then you can easily catch an inter-island flight from Honolulu.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Hawaii.
- Refine your search to the best places to stay on Maui, Lanai or the Island of Hawai'i
- Or, feel free to contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Hawaii
Best Hotels in Hawaii
Hotel Lanai Lanai City 11 rooms from £117Outstanding locationDiving - Scuba diving in such clear waters is a real must for fans of the ocean and sea world.Fishing - Deep sea fishing out of Manele Harbour and along the coastline.Sailing - Triology Sunset sail for a romantic memory on the sea.
Historical landmark on Lanai Island offers comfort, prime location and privacy. Rooms are spacious and contemporary. Lana'i City Grille is renowned on the island and offers family-style sharing plates. From Hotel Lanai explore by land or by sea, a truly great spot and place to escape to for a break. See More
Alohilani Honolulu (Waikiki) 839 rooms from £211Families - The hotel boasts rooms, facilities and dining options tailored for childrenFoodies - The hotel's restaurants offer fantastic and creative Pan-Asian fareBeach Life - Located on Waikiki Beach, on the seafrontSpa - Island Club and Spa offer a range of facials and massage therapy treatments
Boasting a range of excellent dining and spa facilities on the beachfront, in one of Honolulu's most popular spots. The resort boasts a stunning infinity pool overlooking the sea, as well as a kids pool to complement the range of children's services available. Perfect for families and food lovers. See More
Turtle Bay Resort Hawaii 464 rooms from £218Beach Life - Be it surfing or sunbathing that takes your interest the beach is pristine and just steps from the property.Families - Endless activities to keep everyone entertained.Great walks - Take picturesque coastal walks and stop for swims along the way.Surfing - Oahu’s North Shore is world famous for its surfing.
A chic Hawaiian resort on the world-famous surf area of Oahu’s North Shore. Contemporary rooms feature luxury bathrooms, floor to ceiling glass doors and large terraces. Numerous bars and restaurants leave guests spoilt for choice. Find an array of outdoor pursuits. Perfect for family holidays. See More
Queen Kapiolani Honolulu 315 rooms from £222Beach Life - Ideally situated just steps from Waikiki Beach, this hotel is perfect for a relaxing seaside getawayRomantic Break - With uninterrupted sea views from the hotel, book this beach bolt-hole for a romantic island holidayFamilies - Larger suites can accommodate up to two children, perfect for a family beach breakViews - Great views from hotel
This chic hotel is nestled on the edge of Kapiolani Park, steps from spectacular Waikiki Beach. Guestrooms have traditional Hawaiian furniture in pastel palettes and regional art. The hotel's sleek swimming pool boasts unobstructed views of Diamond Head, the perfect place to rest and rejuvenate. See More
Alohilani Resort Honolulu 839 rooms from £224Foodies - Famous Japanese chef, Waikiki Beach, has an outpost. There's also cocktail bars, beach clubs bites, Sunday brunch & Haagen-DazsBeach Life - Rent a cabana at the ocean-facing infinity pool or head to Waikiki Beach for surfing, swimming and snorkellingFamilies - The Monkeypod Kids club offers daily indoor and outdoor activities from kite-making to lawn gamesSights nearby - Hononlulu offers plenty to do from swimming with dolphins, hiking and golf to historical sites such as Pearl Harbour
Contemporary beach resort with a lively Cococabana party-feel. Ocean views abound from the infinity pool, restaurants and room balconies. Interiors are fresh with clean lines, blonde woods and calming cream palette. The relaxed but upscale vibe suits sociable couples and families in equal measure. See More
The Modern Honolulu (Hawaii) 353 rooms from £281Local markets - Farmers markets showcase freshly baked goods, home grown fruit and veg and local cuisines.Fishing - Go deep sea fishing.Lively - Hip and happening.House party feel - Be prepared to meet people.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
High rise resort and contemporary luxury inside. Rooms are light, fully equipped with some offering sea views. Handful of restaurants, four bars, two spas and a nightclub when the day of relaxing is over. The perfect destination for a city breaks in the heart of Hawaii's capital. See More
Travaasa Hana Hana, Maui 70 rooms from £359Bar - Popular with locals.Fishing - See how the fishermen do it with throw net fishing.Views - All cottages have views of the ocean.Great walks - Go see the spectacular waterfalls.
70 ocean view cottages in 70 acres of lush tropical gardens that house a pool, tennis court, croquet lawn and various private and communal hot tubs. High ceiling and contemporary in decor, rooms are luxurious with private seating and scenic views. The menu is locally inspired and created for all. See More
Four Seasons Maui at Wailea Wailea, Maui 380 rooms from £390Kayaking - Complimentary outrigger canoes for all.Great walks - Walk along Makena Beach State Park.Views - Sea views to die for.Seaside - Hawaii at its finest.
This seaside spot is picture perfect. Between three salt pools, 24 hour fitness studios, the three restaurants and countless activities there truly is something for everyone. Rooms are modern and luxurious with sea views. Perfect for relaxing, local beach exploring or romantic island life getaways. See More
Hotel Wailea Kihei, Maui 72 rooms from £390Great walks - Through the tropical gardens and pick the exotic reigional fruit.Remote - Sitting in 15 acres of lush tropical gardens.Views - Stunning views on the sea.Romantic - Designed for couples.
Sitting in 15 acres of tropical gardens on the Maui's southern coastline are luxurious and spacious rooms for romantic getaways and adventurous couples. The award winning Capische offers Mediterranean dishes. Fitness and yoga are on tap,the beaches are a must and the setting oozes intimacy and calm. See More
Halekulani Honolulu (Hawaii) 453 rooms from £414Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Views - Great views from hotelSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Five star luxury in an unbeatable location on Waikiki Beach, overlooking Diamond Head. Rooms are contemporary, large and well equipped. Award winning restaurants on site offer a variety of cuisines & all feature locally sourced produce. Ideal for an active beach break, with city benefits too! See More
Four Seasons Hualalai Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawai'i 243 rooms from 695Great walks - Walking around the island is a must. As well as zip-lining for more adrenaline.Kayaking - Closer to shore, get involved in paddle boarding and outrigging canoing.Sights nearby - Enjoy a two hour helicopter ride to the nearby active Kilauea volcano.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Manicured gardens, Pacific Ocean views and luxurious rooms with Hawaiian decor. Seven pools, three restaurants and two lounges, with ample space to relax, unwind and stroll along the private beaches. The spa, dolphin watching, zip-lining and snorkeling are some of the activities readily available. See More
Mauna Lani Bay Resort Puako, Island of Hawai'i 341 rooms from £624Beach Life - Set on an idyllic stretch of white sand beach - this is the perfect Hawaiian beach escapeGolf - 36-hole course neighbouring the propertySpa - Auberge Spa offers a range of treatments that are steeped in Hawaiian culture using indigenous healing ingredientsSwimming Pool - Three outdoor pools
A luxury resort set on a beautiful stretch of beach with views of three volcanoes. Spacious rooms are simple yet elegant with indulgent bathrooms and large windows framing the sea views. With every conceivable activity under the sun from floating yoga to mountain bike tours - a hit with all ages. See More
Montage Kapalua Bay Kapalua, Maui 56 rooms from £780Golf - Kapalua Bay is considered one of the best resorts for golf worldwide; play at The Plantation Course and The Bay CourseFamilies - An ideal resort for families due to the multi-room residences, Kid's Club, playgrounds, board games and babysittingBeach Life - Spend the day at the white sand beach and then return to a sea-view residence. Blue hues are everywhere hereTotal relaxation - Combine lazy beach days, spa time, fine dining, sea views and child-care for the ultimate restful holiday
Set across 24 lush acres, this Maui beach resort has it all. 54 residences, many multi-bedroom, are spacious, elegant and contemporary with a fresh palette, amazing views and top of the range amenities. The wellness centre is extensive and there are 6 dining options; you won't ever want to leave. See More
Four Seasons Resort Lanai Lanai 217 rooms from £839Romantic Break - The beach-side location, romantic dining and couples' massages make this perfect for a break for twoFamilies - Well equipped for those travelling with children, the best thing being the superb kids clubGreat walks - Take a guided hike to Pu'upehe, one of Lânai’s most iconic landmarksSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
The Four Seasons know how to do luxury and this Hawaiin offering is no letdown. Elegant rooms are made with local wood and have a sophisticated minimalist Japanese feel. Dine in the casual poolside restaurant or dress-up and feast at Nobu. With a number of pools and a spa this is a spoiling stay. See More