Search the best hotels in Memphis
Famed as the home of the blues, riverside Memphis fuses historic charm with a vibrant forward-thinking vibe, making for a wonderfully exciting city break destination. Whether you’re travelling as a couple or with family and friends, this striking Tennessee city promises an intriguing cultural history, a legendary music scene and some terrific Southern barbecue. Accommodation options are wide-ranging, with everything from intimate historic inns to sleek city hotels with all the mod-cons. Our pick of the best places to stay in Memphis offers brilliant bases in and around the downtown area, within easy reach of top museums, buzzing eateries and funky live music venues.
Perched on the banks of the Mississippi River, much of Memphis has undergone a significant regeneration in recent years, but many of the city’s oldest buildings still ooze a sense of faded grandeur. The best way to delve into the soul of the city is through a guided walking tour, where you can discover the secrets of everything from the enormous former Sears Crosstown building to little lanes lined with old record stores.
There are heaps of excellent museums, too. Highlights include Sun Studio, the Memphis Rock ’n’ Soul Museum and the Stax Museum of American Soul Music, as well as the W.C. Handy Museum. Fans of Elvis Presley should make a beeline for Graceland, whilst Beale Street is the place to go for the blues. For a reckoning with Tennessee’s past, the Slave Haven Underground Railroad Museum comes highly recommended, as does the National Civil Rights Museum in the Lorraine Motel, where Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated in 1968.
Escape to Mud Island River Park for outdoorsy adventures, hike or cycle along riverside trails and feast on delectable barbecue dishes in the evenings before seeking out the hottest live music spots. Whether you’re in town for the food, the tunes or the turbulent history, the best places to stay in Memphis offer a characterful base from which to explore.
The Best Places to Stay in Memphis
For Music Lovers
- Central Station Hotel occupies a unique location in a restored train station on South Main Street. Come for the quirky 20th-century interiors, and stay to hear the property's impressive 500-record vinyl collection through Eggleston Works speakers whilst sipping cocktails in the one-of-a-kind bar. Look out for live music events and curated in-room playlists. There's excellent Southern fare, too.
- The James Lee House is an intimate B&B in a beautiful 19th-century residence. With just five sumptuous suites, this is a wonderfully tranquil, elegant choice for a couples' trip. An adults-only Memphis gem.
- River Inn of Harbor Town offers an indulgent boutique experience, a few minutes from downtown Memphis. Expect classic old-school style — including antiques and four-posters — as well as lovely eateries with Mississippi River views. There's cycling and hiking nearby. A romantic pick for active couples.
- Hu. Hotel Memphis has been transformed from a 1905 bank to a swish, 110-room hotel with chic furnishings, big spa baths, an outdoor pool and striking Mississippi River views. A sleek and central city choice for couples or business travellers. The glamorous bar is a highlight.
For Families or Groups
- Arrive Memphis is a friendly neighbourhood hotel in the centre of the city. Pick this place for its funky retro design, great coffee and lively youthful feel. An excellent value choice for a sociable stay.
- Hotel Indigo Memphis Downtown is a relaxed urban oasis complete with an outdoor pool, delicious American cuisine and heaps of fun, open-air games. Think retro style and lots of space for families or bigger groups.
- Moxy Memphis Downtown promises a hip, playful vibe for travellers looking to kick back with a beer or enjoy flavoursome dishes in the casual eatery. Spacious rooms offer flexible options for families or groups. The games room will be a sure-fire hit with guests of all ages!
For Historic Grandeur
The Peabody Hotel is a Memphis icon, featuring opulent decor in superb rooms and suites, as well as an acclaimed French restaurant, an indoor swimming pool and small, soothing spa. The hotel's famed 'duck walks' have been a daily highlight since the 1930s. A grand hotel for a luxurious stay.
FOR AN APARTMENT
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly into Memphis International Airport, 7 miles south-east of the city, and travel downtown by bus or taxi.
- Tennessee is great for a road trip! If you would like to hire a car, we suggest that you contact our online partner Rentalcars.
- Come during the summer months (June - August) for the warmest weather, when temperatures reach up to 29°C. Winters are cold, but spring (April - May) and autumn (September - October) are ideal for exploring in slightly cooler climes. You can also expect some good hotel deals and fewer crowds.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Expand your search to explore all the best places to stay in Nashville.
- Alternatively, see our pick of the best places to stay in Tennessee.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Memphis
Best Hotels in Memphis
Arrive Memphis Memphis 62 rooms from £101Local exploring - Perfectly placed in the heart of Memphis with museums, music and dining all nearby - a handy hotel guide will get you startedRestaurant - Recommended.
A chic hotel located right in the heart of Memphis. Spacious rooms have a retro feel with vintage wallpaper set against exposed brick - the bathrooms are a thoroughly modern affair. Complete with an all-American restaurant, a bar that serves innovative cocktails and a coffee shop. A has-it-all stay. See More
Hu. Hotel Memphis Memphis (Tennessee) 110 rooms from £133Fishing - Herb Parsons Lake is a Reservoir lake which sees runners and fishing lovers.Sights nearby - Graceland, former home of Elvis Presley, is open to the public.Lively - Hip and happening.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet
1905 bank turned boutique with original features, ornate tiled floors and large windows, complete with contemporary furnishings. Elegant, comfortable rooms with city views and spa bath tubs. Must try the World cuisine at Eighty3 and catch the sunset over the Mississippi from the Sky Terrace. See More
Hotel Indigo Memphis Downtown Memphis 118 rooms from £119Local exploring - Perfectly located for business and leisure, set between the Renasant Convention Center and Beale Street EntertainmentRestaurant - Modern American cuisine is served in the hotel's signature restaurantSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolLively - Hip and happening.
A stylish modern hotel with a nod towards Memphis' rock-n-roll history seen in the design. Contemporary rooms feature hardwood floors, spa-inspired showers, Aveda bath products & Frette linens. With a modern American restaurant, outdoor pool, & lounge complete with a jukebox — this is a chic stay. See More
Moxy Memphis Downtown Memphis 119 rooms from £132Lively - Bar Moxy, serving craft beer and excellent cocktails, is the real beating heart of the hotel and a fun & social space to hangoutLocal exploring - Located in downtown Memphis, walking distance from Beale Street entertainment, restaurants, shops, and musuemsRestaurant - Casual all-day dining is served in Bar MoxyAdult Only
In typical Moxy style, this is a hip modern hotel with a youthful feel. Stylish rooms are minimalist in design with dark wooden floors, large windows, and clean lines. Downstairs, a spacious bar has a convivial feel; it serves American cuisine and attached is a games room. A trendy downtown base. See More
The Peabody Hotel Memphis 464 rooms from £194Local markets - Shopping at independent boutique storesSights nearby - Graceland is a 10 minute drive away.Swimming Pool - An indoor swimming poolOpulent
An historic hotel dating back to 1869, known for its resident duck walks since 1933. Opulent, traditional decor, a top rated French restaurant, the famed Lobby Bar, indoor pool, hot tub and a full service spa. A haven for business and leisure travellers, ideally located in the centre of Memphis. See More
The James Lee House Memphis 5 rooms from £195Local exploring - Located in the historic part of the city with shops, restaurants, music venues, and museums all within walking distanceRomantic Break - Grand suites with roll-top baths and an adult-only atmosphere make this a perfect choice for couplesSights nearby - The Blues Hall of Fame and Sun Studio are both walking distance from the propertyAdult Only
An opulent original Memphis house turned into a luxury adult-only boutique hotel. Five sumptuous suites are enormous, each with hardwood floors, well-chosen antiques, and most have roll-top baths. A grand lounge complete with a grand piano is ideal for an evening drink. Well suited to couples. See More
River Inn of Harbor Town Memphis (Tennessee) 28 rooms from £201Sights nearby - Graceland, Elvis Presley's former house, is worth a visit.Romantic - Good for couples.Four poster beds - For romantics.Full of character
Old south meets European intimacy, welcoming guests with crackling fireplaces, art works and antiques. Four-poster beds in the elegant rooms as well as fine linens. Paullette's Restaurant offers continental cuisine, or head to the rooftop for panoramic views. Explore Memphis by bike or foot. See More
Talbot Heirs Guesthouse Memphis 8 rooms from £208Local exploring - The perfect location to explore all Memphis has to offer; walk to live music venues, sports games, restaurants and iconic sitesSelf catering to rent - Fully-equipped kitchens have stoves, refrigerators, coffee makers and toasters. Many come with dishwashersFull of characterLively area - In the thick of the action.Recommended by - Frommers
Downtown guesthouse with 8 individually decorated self-catered studios. Colourful, contemporary and each totally unique, all have spacious living and sleeping areas. The brilliant location means the city's highlights are on the doorstep. Fab for long stays; feel at home in the heart of the city. See More
Central Station Hotel Memphis 123 rooms from £214Local exploring - Centrally placed and surrounded by a good selection of shops and restaurants while museums and music venues are nearbyRestaurant - French cuisine is served at Bishop restaurant
Set within a century-old railway station, this luxury hotel combines all things Memphis from the history to the music. Rooms boast enormous original windows, high ceilings and clean modern design. Downstairs, there's a popular French restaurant, a lively bar and a live DJ. A fun yet smart choice. See More