Search the best hotels in Memphis
This dilapidated beauty on the banks of the Mississippi River is best known as the home of Graceland -altar to the King. Or as the home of the blues. It’s also has a great reputation for barbecue food. But Memphis is a lot more than that, it’s an old city, with old time charms, but also a lively, vibrant place which looks forwards as well as back. The best places to stay in Memphis range from basic B&Bs to five star palaces, which mirrors the city’s own housing situation - there’s poverty, but there’s also a lot of regeneration going on.
Our Guru’s recommendations can be found quite close to the river. Which is conveniently located for strolling through the city, eating out in the evening, Beale Street for the blues and Graceland.
After eating your fill you might like to stroll down to Mud Island, or past the impressive old Sears Crosstown building, or along the beautiful old Mississippi.
What Not To Miss
- Memphis is awash with great museums, music venues and barbecue restaurants. After you see Graceland you might want to pop down to Sun Studio, the Memphis Rock ’n’ Soul Museum and the Stax Museum of America Soul Music.
- Or the WC Handy Mouse Museum: a ‘shotgun shack’ on 4th Street which once belonged to the ‘father of the blues’.
- Be sure to check out both the Slave Haven Underground Railroad Museum, an old clapboard house thought to be a station for runaway slaves, and the National Civil Rights Museum.
- For a fun family day out then head to Memphis Zoo home to two resident Giant Pandas.
If you're coming in the busy summer months then be sure to book ahead as the best places to stay in Memphis get quickly booked up!
For Local Exploring
The Madison Hotel started life in 1905 as a bank, but it’s now a 110-room boutique hotel with large windows and contemporary furnishings and spa baths. There’s a great roof terrace overlooking the Mississippi.
The River Inn of Harbor Town is a welcoming hotel with an Old South/ Old World feel - think cracking fireplaces, art and antiques and four-poster beds. There’s a rooftop with panoramic views and Paulette’s continental restaurant.
Set in an historic property, The Peabody Hotel boasts elegantly traditional interiors as well as a top-notch French restaurant and extensive spa facilities. A truly indulgent stay.
For An Apartment
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- Memphis is nicest weather-wise in the summer months, with the average daily temperature reaching 29°C in July.
- This however is peak tourists season, so for a quieter alternative consider coming in May, September of October. Don't worry, the weather's still perfectly pleasant to spend your days outside sightseeing!
- Visitors can fly into Memphis International Airport, located 7 miles southeast of the city, before taking the bus downtown.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Memphis
Madison Hotel Memphis (Tennessee) 110 rooms from £133Fishing - Herb Parsons Lake is a Reservoir lake which sees runners and fishing lovers.Sights nearby - Graceland, former home of Elvis Presley, is open to the public.Lively - Hip and happening.Full of characterRecommended by - Tablet
1905 bank turned boutique with original features, ornate tiled floors and large windows, complete with contemporary furnishings. Elegant, comfortable rooms with city views and spa bath tubs. Must try the World cuisine at Eighty3 and catch the sunset over the Mississippi from the Sky Terrace. See More
The Peabody Hotel Memphis 464 rooms from £194Local markets - Shopping at independent boutique storesSights nearby - Graceland is a 10 minute drive away.Swimming Pool - An indoor swimming poolFull of character
An historic hotel dating back to 1869, known for its resident duck walks since 1933. Opulent, traditional decor, a top rated French restaurant, the famed Lobby Bar, indoor pool, hot tub and a full service spa. A haven for business and leisure travellers, ideally located in the centre of Memphis. See More
River Inn of Harbor Town Memphis (Tennessee) 28 rooms from £201Sights nearby - Graceland, Elvis Presley's former house, is worth a visit.Romantic - Good for couples.OpulentFull of character
Old south meets European intimacy, welcoming guests with crackling fireplaces, art works and antiques. Four-poster beds in the elegant rooms as well as fine linens. Paullette's Restaurant offers continental cuisine, or head to the rooftop for panoramic views. Explore Memphis by bike or foot. See More