- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Mendocino
A delightful coastal village in Northern California that has attracted escapees from the Golden State’s big cities for decades without ever losing its homespun charm. If you ever caught an episode of the 1980s series “Murder She Wrote” (still regularly aired on TV!) the chances are you will recognise the old-world streets of Mendocino as much of it was filmed here. And some of the best places to stay in Mendocino are bang in the centre of town.
Things not too miss
- Ride the 129 year old Skunk Train through the majestic redwoods of Northern California.
- Botanists and horticulturists shouldn't miss out on the Mendocino Coast Botanics that contains an amazing collection of rhododendron cultivars. If visiting in autumn don't miss out on the spectacular dahlia blooms.
- Head up on the Highway 128 Wine Road and take in some of California's most charming wine country.
First as a native American township, then as a frontier logging community, becoming a kind of artists’ colony, Mendocino has had many costume changes through the ages. It still bears traces of them all making it one of the best weekend destinations in this part of California.
So where are the best places to stay in Mendocino? Here are our picks....
For active types
- As expected, activity in Mendocino tends to gravitate towards the mighty Pacific Ocean. The Packard House is well situated for those who appreciate the roar of its waves singing them to sleep. It is also great for kayaking on the Albion River through caves and blow holes. Lots else to see and do, not least a bracing walk to the newly restored lighthouse which is less than half a mile away.
- The Big River close by offers one of the West’s most eventful kayak routes, passing no fewer than 27 wooden dams. Perched above Mendocino Bay, the Brewery Gulch Inn is an idyllic hotel which offers a comfortable and cozy stay on the Pacific. Large, classic rooms have access to a library and in-room massage is available.
For epic views
- Stanford Inn by the Sea is the perfect spot for fabulous sunset walks featuring epic views of the wide Pacific horizon. This smart eco-boutique overlooks organic gardens as well as blue ocean. Run by a friendly and welcoming couple who offer healing yoga and indoor pool & spa treatments. You can have vegan food, if that’s your thing, washed down with those great Californian wines
- For a quiet place to unwind overlooking the Pacific, Sacred Rock Resort is a great option. Brimming with homely charm, this family-run establishment favours personality over pretension. After a day of exploring, retreat back to the hotel's atmospheric pub to relax and take in the glorious ocean views.
- Glendeven Inn is surrounded on three sides by Van Damme State Park, so there is no shortage of routes for all levels of walker accessible from this boutique inn and spa. Situated two miles outside Mendocino we think it’s the ultimate romantic getaway!
- For a romantic stay in the centre of Mendocino don't look past the historic MacCallum House Inn. Steeped in history and charm, the plush inn is perfect for an indulgent stay. Focusing on doing the good things well the hotel boasts one of the region's finest restaurants, a personalised spa service and luxurious rooms.
For an apartment or private house
- For those looking for somewhere all to themselves, we recommend visiting our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest aiport to Mendocino is Santa Rosa (96 miles). For international flyers, the region is serviced by Oakland (169 miles), San Francisco (177 miles), Sacramento (188 miles), San Jose (197).
- The best way to get around the region is by car, so why not visit our car hire partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Mendocino is in the spring or summer. For whales and wild flowers the spring is the prime time to visit, with the summer bringing more temperate climes to the region.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Mendocino
The Heritage House Resort 47 rooms from £147Mendocino (5200 N Hwy 1)
The Heritage House Resort boasts a spectacular clifftop location, perched above a private beach area on Mendocino's coast. Smart and spacious accommodation with fantastic views. Lovely meals served at the restaurant, whilst the 5200 lounge is the perfect place to relax with a tipple. A top spot.Sights nearby - Head over and see the Taoist Temple of Kwan Tai, a California Historical LandmarkGreat walks - Enjoy a walk through the Coast Botanical GardensSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet
MacCallum House Inn 30 rooms from £137Mendocino (CA)
Historic landmark in the centre of Mendocino dating back to 1882. A luxury mansion with chic, comfortable rooms that have fantastic views of the Pacific ocean. A cozy bar offers the best local wines. Outdoor pools, in-room massages and spa for your enjoyment. Gourmet breakfast included.Foodies - The nationally acclaimed in-house restaurant offers organic cuisine with fresh, local ingredientsRomantic Break - Beautifully decorated rooms and concept of speciality baskets for all ocassionsTotal relaxation - Massages and spa services from their therapists cannot be missedWine tasting - Guided day-long tour of the regions' award-winning wines
Glendeven Inn 10 rooms from £139Mendocino
A boutique Inn and Spa located two miles from Mendocino and surrounded on three sides by Van Damme State Park. Rooms are light and comfortable with elegant furnishings, and spectacular views. The on-site spa is second to none, and even provides rooms for couples. The ultimate romantic getaway!Great walks - The estate is surrounded on three sides by Van Damme State Park with miles of beautiful walks.Sights nearby - Close to all of Mendocino's best restaurants, shops and galleries.Restrictions on children - Children cannot be accomodated at this hotel.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Sacred Rock Resort 6 rooms from £106Mendocino
A charming family-run property consisting of 6 individually styled lodges overlooking the Pacific. Rooms feature antique furniture, warm fabrics and large terraces to take in the view. A homely pub serves hearty cuisine; the perfect spot to unwind after a day in the outdoors. Very quaint.Back to Nature - Boasting an outstanding location situated on a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean.Views - With unfettered views over the Pacific Ocean the location here is simply stunningGreat walks - Go for long walks along the beaches and through the forest.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Packard House 4 rooms from £100Mendocino (California)
A leafy courtyard, fresh interiors and ocean views welcome you to this intimate B&B. Fireplaces, fantastic daily in-room breakfast and comfortable rooms. Located in Mendocino are restaurants and bars to spend lazy days. Outdoor activities for all.Kayaking - Kayaking on the Albion River through caves, blow holes nad rock gardens.Sights nearby - The newly restored lighthouse is less than half a mile away.Views - Great views from hotelGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Stanford Inn by the Sea 40 rooms from £238Mendocino (California)
This eco-boutique overlooks organic gardens and ocean blue. Run by a friendly and very welcoming couple. Healing yoga, indoor pool and spa treatments will rejuvenate, whilst large, wooden rooms with fireplaces are the perfect comfort. Vegan food is served and well matched with regional wines.Great walks - Where there is a sea, there is a way. Be sure to catch sunset over the Pacific.Kayaking - Great way to explore the river and sea.Views - Great views from hotelOpulent
Brewery Gulch Inn 11 rooms from £257Mendocino (California)
Perched above Mendocino Bay this rustic, idyllic hotel offers a comfortable and cozy stay on the Pacific. Large, classic rooms have access to a library and in-room massage. Cooked to order breakfast is worth getting up for. Start the day of water or wilderness based activities. A Great spot!Local markets - Explore Mendocino Market on Ukiah Street for some organic gourmet picnic treats.Kayaking - Head up Big River on a canoe or kayak and past the 27 wooden dams.Great walks - Russian Gulch State Park for a leisurely stroll to the caves.Surfing - California and surfing come hand in hand.