Search the best hotels in Pittsburgh
Once known only for its steel mills and blast furnaces, western Pennsylvania’s Pittsburgh is now famed for its burgeoning arts scene, lively neighbourhoods and cool green spaces. Perched at the confluence of three rivers — the Ohio, the Monongahela and the Allegheny — this hilly metropolis has been dubbed ‘The City of Bridges’ for good reason. There are over 400! Accommodation options include everything from charming B&Bs to slick city hotels fit for a range of tastes and budgets. Many of the best places in Pittsburgh boast beautiful views — a welcome reward for all those hill walks.
Most visitors make a beeline for the city’s museums. Two of the star attractions — The Carnegie Museum of Natural History and the Carnegie Museum of Art — are named after Scottish-born industrialist Andrew Carnegie who modernised steel production here. Head to the North Shore neighbourhood for another big-hitter, the six-storey Andy Warhol Museum, view avant-garde art at The Mattress Factory or admire Frank Lloyd Wright’s magnificent Fallingwater, just outside the city.
Venture to Point State Park for wonderful walks through the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, or to experience the Fort Pitt Museum, which commemorates the turbulent history of the city. Outdoorsy travellers will adore swimming, cycling, horse riding, hiking, golf and tennis amidst the 1700-acre Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy. For stunning city views, look to the Monongahela and Duquesne Inclines, Victorian funiculars which whizz up the slopes of Mt Washington.
Come evening, catch opera, dance and theatre shows, sip Prohibition-era cocktails in a trendy bar or savour fabulous food in a vast array of eateries. Our selection of the best places to stay in Pittsburgh promise a superb base to take in the city’s surprising range of attractions.
The Best Places to Stay in Pittsburgh
For Great Value
- The Maverick by Kasa is a hip choice for a stay in the trendy East Liberty neighbourhood. Once the YMCA building, this historic building hides bright, comfortable rooms and suites — some with space for families or groups, or small kitchenettes and work areas. Excellent value for a longer stay.
- Hotel Indigo Pittsburgh East Liberty is another well-priced choice, with vast, contemporary rooms, a lively bar and restaurant dishing up American classics. Good for a work trip or affordable holiday in an up-and-coming city neighbourhood.
For a Historic B&B
- The Priory Hotel is a striking red-brick building with classic rooms and suites featuring sash windows and fireplaces. Highlights include the gym, central courtyard and popular bar, which specialises in microbrews. In the atmospheric Deutschtown district, this is a great pick for couples or friends.
- Inn on Negley sits within a beautifully preserved period home in the heart of historic Shadyside. Expect antique furnishings, oil paintings and very pretty bathrooms. A lovely B&B for couples, who can enjoy the daily complimentary wine and cheese before heading out for dinner in the evenings.
- Morning Sun Inn is a Victorian mansion-turned-B&B, with vaulted ceilings and stained glass windows. Interiors are more cosy and contemporary, well-suited to couples, friends or families. Nab the two-bedroom Anna Suite for a private kitchenette & movie night set-up.
- Mansions on Fifth is a hugely imposing Elizabethan and Tudor architectural revival property, with opulent shared spaces. Elegant rooms and suites have a grown-up, old-school feel, and the location is great for restaurants, galleries and museums. A very lavish B&B choice, with fantastic potential for private events.
For City Style
- The Industrialist is an iconic city centre skyscraper, recently transformed into a sleek luxury business hotel with a boutique feel. Think monochrome colour palettes, leather touches, abstract art & deluxe granite bathrooms, as well as a statement restaurant. Perfect for a stylish holiday or business trip.
- Hotel Monaco offers a bold, whimsical experience within a striking Beaux Arts-style building. Interiors are glamorous and chic, plus there's a hip American tavern, rooftop Biergarten and plenty of space to unwind. The 248 guest rooms ooze grown-up cool, but there's lots for families, too. Complimentary bikes are a nice touch.
- The Oaklander promises a swish stay in the cultural heart of the city, with slick, paired-back decor and fabulous views. Expect smart TVs, quick wifi, easy access to the university, a bustling restaurant and a sophisticated bar. A luxurious city pad.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Pittsburgh International Airport, just 20 minutes' drive from the city centre by car or bus.
- Pennsylvania is a wonderful state for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel between June and September for temperatures averaging between 22°C and 28°C, or come in the spring or autumn for cooler weather. Expect cold winters.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our pick of all the best places to stay in Philadelphia.
- Broaden your search to include the best places to stay in Pennsylvania.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Pittsburgh
Best Hotels in Pittsburgh
The Maverick by Kasa Pittsburgh 63 rooms from £98City Style - Ace hotels have perfected the art of city cool. This is no exception.Restaurant - Whitfield restaurant serves regional fare and hosts lively evening eventsFull of characterLively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Tablet
Hotel Indigo Pittsburgh East Liberty Pittsburgh 135 rooms from £108Local exploring - Well located in trendy East Liberty, surrounded by hip restaurants, boutique stores, and theatresValue chic - A cheap and cheerful stay which offers both great rates and modern designSights nearby - Visit the Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens, one of the nation's oldest and largest Victorian "glass houses"Restaurant - Local cuisine is served at Wallaces Whiskey Room and Kitchen
A well priced modern hotel perfectly located in hip East Liberty. Vast rooms feature wooden floors, simple modern furniture, contemporary graphics, and flatscreens. Bathrooms are equally well proportioned and appointed. American classics are served in the restaurant and the bar is a lively space. See More
The Priory Hotel Pittsburgh 42 rooms from £121Local exploring - Well located in historic Deutschtown, find plenty to explore locally from museums to restaurants and theatresLocal markets - Sample local produce in Deutschtown's weekly farmers' marketFull of characterTraditional
A historic hotel located in Pittsburg's atmospheric Deutschtown district. Rooms are charming with antique furniture, fireplaces, and sash windows. A small but atmospheric bar serves a good selection of microbrews plus there's a gym and large central courtyard. A characterful stay for city exploring. See More
Inn on Negley Pittsburgh 8 rooms from £148Romantic Break - With romantic four-poster beds, plush suites and a well-stocked minibar, this hotel is perfect for a couples' weekend awayLocal exploring - Located in chic Shadyside, this B&B makes a great base for guests looking to explore the city's stylish eateries and barsCity Style - This well-appointed, period B&B offers heritage Pittsburgh charm in a fantastic locationBirdwatching - Go birdwatching at The National Aviary, America’s only independent, indoor, nonprofit zoo dedicated exclusively to birds
This B&B is set within a beautifully preserved period home in the heart of Pittsburgh’s historic Shadyside area. Inside, heritage-style furniture and original, antique oil paintings complement the painstakingly restored property. Complimentary wine, cheese and charcuterie complete the experience. See More
Morning Sun Inn Pittsburgh 5 rooms from £151Families - Two-room Anna Suite comes with a dining area, living room and kitchenette plus a cosy movie-night set-upLocal exploring - Tranquil base for visiting friends, heading to the university or a weekend exploring PittsburghValue chic - With its home-away-from-home feel, the inn is incredibly reasonably pricedGreat walks - Walk to Highland Park Reservoir with its playground, hiking trails & games areas
Victorian mansion converted into cosy and contemporary owner-run B&B. Historic stain-glass windows and vaulted ceilings blend seamlessly with modern bathrooms and fresh on-trend colour schemes. Feel at home in the well-designed rooms and spacious public areas. A charming stay. See More
The Industrialist Hotel Pittsburgh 124 rooms from £165City Style - Feel firmly in the 21st century yet with a strong historical backdrop; property combines the past & present in perfect styleLocal exploring - Ideally located for making the most of what Pittsbugh has to offer; walk to shops, restaurants, nightlife & cultural sitesRestaurant - Tuck into New American fare at The Rebel Room or snack on light bites & craft cocktails at the second-floor Industrialist LoungeSights nearby - Local attractions include Phipps Conservatory, Botanical Gardens, Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium
Iconic city centre skyscraper transformed into a sleek luxury business hotel with a boutique feel. Chic rooms with monochrome colour palettes, leather touches, abstract art & deluxe granite bathrooms are perfectly on-trend. A fantastic location and statement restaurant make this a winner. See More
Hotel Monaco, Pittsburgh Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania) 248 rooms from £195Sights nearby - U.S Steel Tower is aroung the corner.Lively - Hip and happening.Full of characterRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Tablet
In the downtown Golden Triangle is this lively, modern hotel offering luxurious rooms, gym and a springboard for Pittsburgh exploring. The Commoner serves American cuisine and mirrors the cities industrial ancestors in decor. Do not miss the daily wine hour, perfect way to meet fellow guests. See More
Mansions on Fifth Pittsburgh (Pennsylvania) from £199Sights nearby - The Andry Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh is a must see.Great walks - Point State Park.Full of characterBoutique
Elizabethan and Tudor architectural revival in Pittsburgh, complete with stained glass windows, wooden floors and a grand piano. Luxurious rooms are all unique in style. Breakfast in-room and Pittsburgh city close for restaurants, art galleries, museums and theatre. A historical must-see. See More
The Oaklander Pittsburgh 167 rooms from £226City Style - Contemporary property offering classic hotel services; great restaurant, bar, strong sense of place and fab locationLocal exploring - Oakland neighbourhood is considered the cultural hub of the city with buzzing restaurants, university & major sitesLearning - Located next to University of Pittsburgh, 10 mins from the Medical Centre & 20 mins to Carnegie Mellon UniversityBusiness meetings - 10th floor dedicated meeting & events space offers top-of-the-range venue with added addition of city views
Feel right in the heart of the action at this cool yet classic hotel. Slick paired-back decor with glossy touches & neighborhood views feels of the moment, as does the bustling restaurant & glamorous bar. Expect smart TVs, quick wifi & easy access to the university. Ticks every city hotel box. See More