Search the best hotels in South Dakota
About South Dakota
South Dakota has long been home to the Lakota, Dakota and Nakota. Now one of the least populated states in the USA, South Dakota is famed for its mesmerising wild landscapes, including the Black Hills — sacred to the Lakota as well as a controversial Gold Rush site — and the iconic Mount Rushmore. Outdoorsy travellers will adore discovering the region’s natural wonders as a couple, or with family and friends. Accommodation options range from cosy B&Bs to superb eco-glamping sites, fit for a host of tastes and budgets. Many of the best places to stay in South Dakota are clustered in the south-west, close to Mount Rushmore.
For a sense of South Dakota’s cities, head to Pierre — the state capital — or to Sioux Falls. Both feature intriguing heritage landmarks, friendly communities and spectacular surroundings. Falls Park, in Sioux Falls, is particularly pretty during the winter months, when it is bedecked in twinkling fairy lights. South Dakota’s quirkiest tourist draw is perhaps the world’s only Corn Palace in Mitchell, which attracts half a million visitors per year.
The state’s biggest appeal, however, are its wonderfully varied national parks, as well as its rich Native American heritage. Hike, cycle or horse ride through valleys, vast prairies and forested mountains, spotting a whole variety of wildlife, or expand your understanding of ancient cultures at various community sites. You’ll find enormous carvings of former presidents Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and Roosevelt at Mount Rushmore, originally named Six Grandfathers Mountain by the Lakota. Climb up the mountain and peruse the exhibits at the visitor centre, before heading off to see more of the Black Hills, awe-inspiring Custer State Park and Badlands National Park.
The best places to stay in South Dakota promise a brilliant base from which to explore this often underrated mid-western state.
The Best Places to Stay in South Dakota
For a Glamping Escape
- Under Canvas Mount Rushmore offers a glamping experience to remember, with large canvas tents housing hand-crafted furniture and wood-burning stoves. Tents of various sizes have space for families and views of the hills, the forest or of Mount Rushmore. A gorgeous eco-hideaway for nature lovers, with plenty of outdoorsy activities.
For an apartment or holiday cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Rapid City Regional Airport (RAP) or to Sioux Falls Regional Airport (FSD) and travel to your hotel by bus or taxi from there.
- Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel between June and September for the warmest weather, or come in the spring or autumn for cooler climes. Expect winters to be very cold.
STILL NOT SURE?
Best Hotels in South Dakota
Under Canvas Mount Rushmore Keystone, South Dakota 74 rooms from £120Back to Nature - Spend your whole day outdoors; wake amongst trees, relax on your outdoor terrace, hike unspoilt paths and breathe in fresh airHideaway - With no internet, stay here to truly get off the grid and relax amongst natureSights nearby - The iconic Mount Rushmore is 3km from the property. For something fun visit Rush Mountain Adventure ParkGreat walks - If you don't feel up to hiking enjoy the camp's on-site nature walk
Deluxe eco glampsite. Luxury family-friendly tents come in 'hive, safari, deluxe or stargazer' style, meaning there's something for every budget and set-up. All have forest, hills or Rushmore views, crafted wooden furniture, organic bath products and wood-burning stoves. Leave no trace in style. See More