Best Budget Hotels in Copenhagen
Copenhagen is known for being hip and classy - which does not necessarily equate to inexpensive. But it’s actually not too challenging to make a modest budget go a long way here. There are lots of wonderful districts which are perfect for exploring and a spot of window shopping, and some of the museums, like the Danish Museum of Art and Design offer free entry on Sundays. Our Guru’s list of the best budget hotels in Copenhagen is a good place to start planning your visit.
If your budget is really limited our Guru’s recommendations includes a great hostel in the trendy Vesterbro district, where you can stay for around £25 per night (in dorm style accommodation). But if you’re looking for somewhere reasonably priced which still feels luxurious and is packed with Danish chic our Gurus have some great recommendations for under £130.
For a city break
- If you’re on a really limited budget then Urban House, which is in the trendy Vesterbro district and offers accommodation starting from £25 per night, is your best bet. It’s a hostel, with work space, a bar and even a tattoo parlour! There are a variety of room sizes, including dormitory style, and the decor is minimal with stripped wooden floors.
- Fans of Scandi style will love the Hotel Alexandra, a 61 room hotel just 200metres from the Tivoli Gardens and packed with wonderful mid-century Danish furniture. There’s an excellent restaurant, a trendy bar and a library.
- The Avenue Hotel is a 68 room hotel converted from a graceful 19th century building decorated with stylish Danish designed furniture and Missoni throws. There’s a lounge with live music and fantastic cocktails.
- Guldsmeden Bertrams is another great option if you’re looking for something romantic and a bit different. This eco hotel in the Vesterbro district has 47 beautiful white on white rooms with four poster beds and balconies overlooking a lovely garden. There’s a lovely lounge and a lively kitchen cafe.
- Wakeup is a huge hotel in central Copenhagen with 510 contemporary, white-washed, chrome-floored rooms with plenty of natural light and splashes of green. There are rooms of all shapes and sizes including some great suites, family rooms and family suites. And the rooms on the higher floors have amazing city views.
- Ibsens Hotel is a great value boutique hotel in the colourful neighbourhood of Nansengade. There are plenty of restaurants and cultural attractions nearby, but you’re also right by an excellent transport hub, so you’re pretty close to everything.
Best Budget Hotels outside the City Centre
- The Ocean Hotel isn’t really a hotel at all, more of a B&B with seven spacious bedrooms. It’s in a pretty, residential suburb, which is also just minutes from the airport and yet there’s a metro stop nearby to whizz you into central Copenhagen.
- The Skovshoved Hotel is an elegantly restored hotel on the coast in Charlottenlund. There are just 22 romantic rooms featuring white-washed walls, four-poster beds, wooden floors and sea views. There also a Michelin recommended French/ Italian restaurant.
Once you’ve found your accommodation, here are a few tips they shared for getting the most out of Copenhagen.
- Skip the harbour cruise and opt for one of the Movia Harbour buses, which start at Refshaleøen island and will take you past the royal buildings, Christianshavn and Teglholmen.
- Hire a bike and get around town like the locals do - plenty of hotels offer complimentary bike hire.
- Copenhagen’s Noma is one of the world’s great restaurants, but there are other ways to taste great Scandinavian food, and the street food revolution is taking over here too, both in the centre of town and in a development around the warehouses of Papirøen Island.
- The Lego shop offers an alternative to Legoland.
Still not sure which one of our Guru’s recommendations for the best budget hotels in Copenhagen might be perfect for you?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Copenhagen,
- if you’re travelling with your kids check our our Guru’s recommendations for family hotels in Copenhagen.
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Urban House 217 rooms from £25Copenhagen (Vesterbro)
A lively hostel in the trendy Vesterbro district of Copenhagen. There's a sociable bar, cool work space and even a tattoo parlour. Rooms vary from "shoebox" for singles to dorms. All are simple in style with minimal furnishings and stripped wooden floors. Ideal for groups or those on a budget.Value chic - Stylish budget accommodation in a great locationSights nearby - Visit the stunning Opera House
Avenue Hotel 68 rooms from £121Copenhagen
19th Century boutique offering a great value stay in Copenhagen. Clean, modern, well-equipped rooms (some sleep four) feature Danish designs & Missoni throws. Hang out in the lounge for live music, fantastic cocktails and small bites. A great choice for city visitors and families.City Style - The classical perfection of the 18th century architecture meets cutting edge interiors by top Danish designers.Designer - Stunnig interiors by top Danish designers.Full of characterLively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Michelin Travel, Tablet
Skovshoved Hotel 22 rooms from £189Copenhagen (2920 Charlottenlund)
A country and seaside retreat just outside Copenhagen. It oozes romance and elegance, but with a hip twist. Ethereal bedrooms with white washed walls, four poster beds, wooden floors and sea views. This chic, historical, family run hotel is a perfect place to stay, whoever you are.Great walks - Walk to two of Copenhagen's best beaches Bellevue strand and Charlottenlund beachpark.Fishing - We will arrange guided tours in the historic fishing camp Skovshoved.Lively - Hip and happening.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - I Escape, Michelin Travel
Guldsmeden Bertrams 47 rooms from £124Copenhagen
A chic eco hotel in the trendy Vesterbro district. Beautiful white on white rooms with four poster beds and drapes, some with balconies over-hanging the lovely garden. Teak clad lounge areas and a delightful open plan kitchen-cafe make welcome spot to relax in.Sights nearby - Tivoli Gardens amusement park is a must for all visitors to the city.Restrictions on children - No children allowed.Lively - Hip and happening.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Tablet, Frommers
Hotel Alexandra 61 rooms from £105Copenhagen
A funky boutique hotel which pays homage to Danish design throughout. Eclectic rooms and suites are sophisticated yet fun. Trendy bar and library, excellent restaurant, and walking distance to all the main attractions and shopping areas. City style the Danish way.City StyleSights nearby - Just 200 metres from Tivoli Gardens and Town Hall Square.Lively - Hip and happening.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Tablet
Wakeup 510 rooms from £70Copenhagen
An ideally located central spot for the budget traveller. Head to toe contemporary spaces have white washed walls, dark chrome floors, splashes of green, and lots of natural light. Rooms, suites, and family suites cater to couples, families and groups.Value chicViews - The rooms on the higher floors have spectacular city viewsSights nearby - Tivoli Gardens, Town Hall Square.Lively - Hip and happening.
Ocean Hotel 7 rooms from £120Copenhagen
A charming B&B located in a pretty residential suburb. Bedrooms are homely and spacious. Located in an ideal spot for those with a late flight - just minutes from the airport. A quiet retreat with a metro close by to pop into Central Copenhagen.Families - No need to leave anyone at home - you can even bring the dog along!Local exploring - Nearby metro station means you can get around like a localLocal markets - Bredgade is famed for its antique shopsViews - Views of the Øresund Bridge
Ibsens hotel 118 rooms from £135Copenhagen
Good value no-frills boutique hotel in vibrant Nansengade neighbourhood, with good transport connections, culture and restaurants. Provides a great base for a simple weekend stay.Spa - Oriental Ni’mat Spa at Ibsens' sister hotel Kong Arthur.Sights nearby - World-famous Little Mermaid statue.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape, CN Traveller