Copenhagen with Kids: 10 Best Hotels in Copenhagen for Families
Copenhagen is a great city for families to discover together, and our gurus have selected the best hotels in Copenhagen for families to save you the bother. One of the main reasons for its family-friendliness is that it’s small and liberally sprinkled with memorable, and interesting, landmarks and seems to be arranged around its gardens and green spaces. If you plan ahead you’ll find you’re often able to stroll between destinations through parks or gardens, and you’ll find plenty of inspiring places to play along the route.
Copenhagen is also colourful! The famous waterfront warehouses in their primary shades - some of which have been converted into family friendly hotels - are just the start, there are also numerous murals and splashes of colour in the most unexpected places. And there are castles which really look like castles are supposed to look. Where kings and queens still live! And of course Hans Christian Anderson’s bronze Little Mermaid statue is just waiting to welcome you.
You’ll find many of Copenhagen's hotels for families near, or in, the centre of town. Including SP34 which has a fantastic location right by the Tivoli Gardens, which just might be your children’s favourite place here. Copenhagen’s planners kept aside 15 acres in the centre of town for wonderful diversions and beautiful views. The Tivoli Gardens has the world’s tallest carousel, rollercoasters, dragon boats, graceful fountains, open grass to run around on, lakes with pagodas and millions of flowers. And at night it’s all lit up beautifully.
When it comes to attractions many of Copenhagen’s highlights have made sure they’ve something to offer your little ones. The National Gallery of Denmark is a prime example, with exhibitions designed just for kids and workshops where they can have a go themselves. The National Museum also has a Children’s Museum, with a replica viking ship you can mess about on, costumes to try, a 1920s classroom and plenty of hands-on exhibits. There’s even a children’s section in Copenhagen’s Worker’s Museum.
The scientific minded have plenty to excite them here as well, at the excellent Experimentarium, which has around 300 exhibits and experiments designed to teach us all a few things about science and technology.
Copenhagen also has several excellent children’s theatres - this is the perfect place to see one of Hans Christian Anderson’s treasures brought to life - and an excellent zoo.
Just to the northwest of Copenhagen there’s an Open Air Museum, with around a hundred historic farm buildings, which date from between 1650 and 1950 and have been collected from all over Denmark.
If the Tivoli Gardens aren’t enough you could also take your kids up to Bakken, the world’s oldest amusement park. Historic and fun. Plus there’s a deer park through which you can take a horse and carriage ride.
Use our guide to the best hotels in Copenhagen for families and start planning your trip.
10 of The Best Hotels in Copenhagen for Families
The Best City Break Hotels in Copenhagen for Families
- The Copenhagen Strand Hotel is a big, chic, waterfront property in a super central location. Rooms are typically Scandinavian in style with pale blue tones, wooden floors and plenty of light. Danish breakfasts are served in the stylish breakfast room and many of the city's main attractions are just a stroll away.
- The Hotel Danmark is a great choice for families because of its range of rooms - ther eare 89, ranging from bunked dormers to luxurious suites, so there's bound to be something to suit your family. The deocr and design are Danish chic, your close to the centre of town and there's a trendy rooftop bar which serves cocktails to guests and locals and has superb city views.
- The Manon Les Suites are a collection of 80 suites surrounding a central countryard with an indoor pool and jungle. Even the smallest rooms are like tiny apartments with kitchen facilites, but there's a trendy bar and restaurant on the roof terrace.
- The Scandic Palace Hotel is in an historic building, across the road from the Tivoli Gardens and near the city hall. The rooms are comfortable and light with fashionable furnishings. Downstairs, the restaurant serves Nordic cuisine and the hotel's atmospheric bar is a great place to enjoy a cocktail.
The Best Hip Hotels in Copenhagen for Families
- SP34 is a fantastic boutique hotel in the Latin Quarter with 118 stylish rooms and suites and an amazing penthouse. There are two restaurants and four bars, plus a roof terrace, and there’s plenty to do and see around the hotel, but you’re also just 500metres from the Tivoli Gardens.
- Citizen M Radhuspladsen is a modern and quirky, centrally located hotel in typical Citizen M style, and featuring murals and artwork by established Danish artists. The jazzy open-plan lobby is the real focal point, with a multitude of comfy bright sofas, statement lamps and carpets, and a hip bar. Rooms boast enormous beds and great views. A hip and buzzing base.
- The Avenue Hotel is a 68 room hotel converted from a graceful 19th century building decorated with stylish Danish designed furniture and Missoni throws. There’s a lounge with live music and fantastic cocktails, which you might think doesn't sound particularly family friendly, but it is!
The Best Value Family Hotels in Copenhagen
- Ibsens Hotel is a great value boutique hotel in the colourful neighbourhood of Nansengade. There are plenty of restaurants and cultural attractions nearby, but you’re also right by an excellent transport hub, so you’re pretty close to everything.
- Wakeup is a huge hotel in central Copenhagen with 510 contemporary, white-washed, chrome-floored rooms with plenty of natural light and splashes of green. There are rooms of all shapes and sizes including some great suites, family rooms and family suites. And the rooms on the higher floors have amazing city views.
Family Friendly Hotels in Copenhagen in a peaceful location
- The Ocean Hotel isn’t really a hotel at all, more of a B&B with seven spacious bedrooms. It’s in a pretty, residential suburb, which is also just minutes from the airport and yet there’s a metro stop nearby to whizz you into central Copenhagen.
- The Kurhotel Skosborg is a bit out of town, but it might be worth it if you're lookng for a quiet, relaxing spot? This stately Nordic hotel and spa is a great place to rest and recharge, with plenty of attention to detail in the soft interior design of the rooms and suites, with the best offering French doors opening onto a balcony and seaviews. And the bright and inviting spa has a range of luxury packages.
If you haven't found the perfect place for you and your family to stay in Copenhagen on our Guru's list of 10 of the best hotels in Copenhagen for families you could:
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Copenhagen?
- Or consider our Guru's recommendations for 10 of the Best Budget Hotels in Copenhagen?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
10 of the Best Hotels in Copenhagen for Families
Copenhagen Strand Hotel Copenhagen 174 rooms from £130Local exploring - Ideally placed for exploring the city on foot.Sights nearby - Admire the architecture of Christian IV’s Brewery, one of Copenhagen's oldest buildings.TraditionalViews - Great views from hotel
A chic waterfront property boasting an excellent central location. Rooms are typically Scandinavian in style with pale blue tones, wooden floors and plenty of light. Danish breakfasts are served in the stylish breakfast room and many of the city's main attractions are just a stroll away. See More
Hotel Danmark Copenhagen 89 rooms from £159Local exploring - Boasting a very central location, this is an ideal base from which to explore the city.Great walks - Wander through the local area and admire the half-timbered houses and cobblestoned streets.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Manon Les Suites Copenhagen 80 rooms from £244City Style - Boasting stylish suites, a courtyard pool and rooftop terrace this is a hit with the young and fashionable.Great walks - Step out of the hotel and take a stroll around the scenic lakes.Sights nearby - Visit the striking Amalienborg (the queen's winter residence).Local markets - Sample the wares at the food stalls in Torvehallerne.
A stylish hotel set surrounded by lakes in a central part of Copenhagen. Contemporary suites feature large expanses of glass opening out onto great city views. There's a large courtyard pool and atmospheric rooftop. With easy access to all parts of the city this is an ideal city base. See More
Scandic Palace Hotel Copenhagen 169 rooms from £169Local exploring - Right in the heart of the city centre, it's perfect for exploring the sights and sounds of Copenhagen.Great walks - The nearby Tivoli Gardens are ideal for a relaxed afternoon walk.Sights nearby - Right beside the Hans Christian Andersen Fairy-Tale House.
Set in a historic building near the city hall, Scandic Palace Hotel is ideally placed for a trip to Copenhagen. The rooms are comfortable and light with fashionable furnishings. Downstairs, the restaurant serves Nordic cuisine and the hotel's atmospheric bar is a great place to enjoy a cocktail. See More
SP34 Copenhagen 118 rooms from £153Roof terrace - Lovely roof terrace bar.City StyleSights nearby - The hotel is situated in Copenhagen's Latin Quarter and 500 meters from Tivoli.Great walks - Garden H.C Ørsteds Parken is a green oasis.
Wakeup Copenhagen 510 rooms from £70Value chicViews - The rooms on the higher floors have spectacular city viewsSights nearby - Tivoli Gardens, Town Hall Square.Lively - Hip and happening.
Avenue Hotel Copenhagen 68 rooms from £121City Style - The classical perfection of the 18th century architecture meets cutting edge interiors by top Danish designers.Designer - Stunnig interiors by top Danish designers.Full of characterLively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Michelin Travel, Tablet
19th Century boutique offering a great value stay in Copenhagen. Clean, modern, well-equipped rooms (some sleep four) feature Danish designs & Missoni throws. Hang out in the lounge for live music, fantastic cocktails and small bites. A great choice for city visitors and families. See More
CitizenM Radhuspladsen Copenhagen 238 rooms from £114City Style - A stylish and arty central base great for shopping and sightseeingSights nearby - Head to the famous Tivoli Gardens and the Botanical Garden nearbyLively - Hip and happening.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
A modern and quirky central hotel featuring murals and artwork by established Danish artists. The jazzy open-plan lobby is the real focal point, with a multitude of comfy bright sofas, statement lamps and carpets, and a hip bar. Rooms boast enormous beds and great views. A hip and buzzing base! See More
Ocean Hotel Copenhagen 7 rooms from £120Families - No need to leave anyone at home - you can even bring the dog along!Local exploring - Nearby metro station means you can get around like a localLocal markets - Bredgade is famed for its antique shopsViews - Views of the Øresund Bridge
Ibsens hotel Copenhagen 118 rooms from £135Spa - Oriental Ni’mat Spa at Ibsens' sister hotel Kong Arthur.Sights nearby - World-famous Little Mermaid statue.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape, CN Traveller
Kurhotel Skodsborg Copenhagen 83 rooms from £186Spa breaks - With an extensive and well-equipped spa, this is a great choice for a total relaxation spa breakFamilies - With an indoor and outdoor children's play area, this hotel is a favourite with familiesSights nearby - Take a trip back in time and see this historic region from a horse-drawn carriageRomantic - Good for couples.
Rest and recharge at this stately Nordic hotel and spa. There is plenty of attention to detail in the soft interior design of the rooms and suites, with the best offering French doors opening onto a balcony and seaviews. The bright and inviting spa has a range of luxury packages. An ideal spa break. See More