- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Save time, save money
Best Hotels in the Ardèche for Walkers
The Ardèche is a natural beauty, and if your idea of the perfect holiday is walking through a dramatic and changeable landscape dotted with small rural towns and pretty hamlets, then the Ardèche is for you. And our pick of the best hotels in the Ardeche for walkers should have something you'll be keen to book!
The Gorges de l’Ardèche are an obvious highlight - perfect for kayaking or canoeing on, as well as walking beside - and the region around Vallon-Pont-d’Arc, close to the gorges, is extremely popular with visitors exploring the department on foot. Vallon-Pont-d’Arc is close to both the Pont d’Arc, the wonderful rock bridge naturally created by the Ardèche eroding the region’s colourful limestone, and some of the Ardèche’s best preserved prehistoric cave paintings. Some of the hotels recommended by our Gurus as being the best hotels in the Ardèche for walkers can be found in this area, within the Parc Natural Regional des Monts l’Ardèche.
The area around Mont Gerbier de Jonc, the volcanic mountain under which springs the source of the Loire, is another popular base for walkers and hikers, as is the Cevennes Ardéchoises, with its strange primeval forest of petrified oaks. The Rhône provides the perfect walking route for some people, and some of our Guru’s recommendations for the best hotels in the Ardèche for walkers are located right on the river.
You can’t rely on public transport in the Ardèche, so it can be a difficult department to walk through without a car, or assistance from someone with a car, so you might want to consider staying in several of our Guru’s best hotels in the Ardèche for walkers, and use them as a base, rather than try and travel between properties under your own steam. But there are as many options as there are walking routes, and the landscape is certainly worth the effort!
The Best Hotels in the Ardèche for Walkers
For a romantic stay
- In the quaint, pretty village of Banne, within the Cévennes National Park, the Auberge de Banne is a beautiful property with an award-winning restaurant. There are just 11 rooms with plenty of luxurious features and a lovely outdoor pool. A great choice if you appreciate good design!
- The Château de Rochessauve is a wonderful unspoiled family château, with charming, traditional interiors and beautiful views. There are just three rooms, decorated with rich fabrics, antique furniture and paintings. There’s also a lovely pool and terraces and a vegetable garden.
For sightseeing (and walking)
- The Château de Balazuc is a historic château with plenty of original features - like chain mail drapes, stone steps and rampart rooms. But the four rooms available to stay in offer a comfortable blend of antique and modern fixtures and fittings, and you’re just ten minutes from the famous gorges of the Ardèche and Vallon Pont d'Arc.
For a spa hotel
- The Domaine de Chalveches is a chic, modern property with beautiful mountain views of the Ardèche Natural Regional Park. Each of the ten rooms and suites are individually designed, but with nature in mind, and there’s a spoiling spa.
The Best Value Hotels in the Ardèche for Walkers
- The Auberge du Lac is an elegant, lakeside property with 12 simple, but well proportioned rooms. There’s a very nice infinity pool and a well regarded restaurant serving modern French cuisine. Plus stunning views. Rooms start from around £70 per night.
If you haven’t found your idea of the best hotels in the Ardèche for walkers in the Ardèche on our Guru’s list you could:
- Browse through our list of all the best hotels in the Ardèche,
- expand your search to include the best places to stay in the Rhône-Alpes region,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The Best Hotels in the Ardèche
Auberge de Banne 11 rooms from £118Banne, Ardèche
A glorious property in a quaint village. Excellent design mixes the old with the new. Rooms feature crisp white linens, large glass-fronted walls and luxury bathrooms. Boastings a lovely outdoor pool and an atmospheric, award winning, restaurant. The perfect French rural escape.Foodies - A stunning restaurant, recognised by the Michelin Guide, serving regional cuisine.Country Escape - Situated in a quaint village within the Cévennes National Park.Great walks - Stunning walks in the surrounding National Park.Sights nearby - Visit the beautiful Banne Castle.
Chateau de Balazuc 4 rooms from £140Ardèche
This historic Chateau has been renovated and restored many times but has never lost its traditional charm. With chain-mail drapes, original stone steps and a room in the ramparts, the accommodation offers a fabulous combination of ancient and modern. A stylish haunt in the heart of the Ardeche.Sights nearby - 10 miles from Vallon Pont d'Arc, the famous gorges of the Ardèche and the "Caverne du Pont d'Arc"Views - Gorgeous views over the Ardeche countrysideSwimming Pool - 43 foot long outdoor swimming "corridor"Restrictions on children - Not suitable for children
Hotel de la Villeon 16 rooms from £148Tournon-sur-Rhône, Ardèche
A painstakingly and beautifully renovated property in the pretty village of Tournon-sur-Rhône. Large light rooms with enormous beds and elegant design. Converted stables are home to contemporary breakfast and seminar rooms. Pretty gardens. A great choice for local exploring and business meetings.Local exploring - A lovely and unspoilt corner of France with plenty of cultural and outdoor activities.Traditional
Domaine de Chalveches 10 rooms from £195FAUGERES, Ardèche
Modern chic with mountain views. Contemporary rooms, each individually designed, are light and fresh with tones of the surrounding nature found in the wood panelling or exposed stone. Suites feature in room hot tubs. A completely spoiling spa and abundance of outdoor pursuits. Country bliss.Spa breaks - A fabulous spa with cabin treatment rooms and using the completely natural Ymalia products.Country Escape - Mountain views and a host of outdoor pursuits in the surrounding area.Great walks - Wander through the surrounding vineyards.Private Hot Tub - In the suites.
Chateau de Rochessauve 3 rooms from £105Rochessauve, Ardèche
A gloriously unspoilt family chateau nestled into a hill. Charming, traditional interiors include beautiful bedrooms with rich fabrics, antique furnishings, and paintings. Lovely pool, terraces, and vegetable garden to pick from for lunch. Ideal for complete peace and quiet away from the crowds.Total relaxation - A spot to really unwind; laze on the terraces, swim in the pool, read a book in the garden, or pick some vegetables.Views - Stunning views over the Alpine range.Traditional - A traditional family home with a charming owner.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Auberge du Lac 12 rooms from £75Saint Marcel Les Annonay, Ardèche
An elegant 4 star property with gorgeous lake setting. Simple rooms are generously proportioned and decorated in natural hues. A lovely infinity pool and acclaimed restaurant serving modern French cuisine. All this plus plenty of activities in the surrounding area makes this ideal for families.Families - Plenty of activities in the surrounding area to keep all entertained.Foodies - Modern french cuisine with stunning lake views as a backdrop.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.Views - Great views from hotel