Search the best hotels in Ardèche
Surrounding the Ardèche River in south-central France, the Ardèche region is known for its dramatic gorges, green mountains and fascinating caves. It’s an excellent destination for nature lovers and active families, but also popular with keen foodies, who will find fabulous regional cuisine to savour. Whether you’re dreaming of a pretty village hotel or a chic rural retreat, you’ll find that the best places to stay in the Ardèche tend to be intimate and characterful — perfect for a memorable trip.
Some of our Ardèche collections:
Hire a car to wind your way along mountain roads, following the path of the river, or try hiking, horse riding and mountain biking on craggy trails. Adventurous hikers can climb Mont Gerbier de Jonc, a volcanic mountain with three springs at its base — one of which is the source of the Loire. The Ardèche River itself is marvellous for kayaking, rafting or riverside walks, with its towering limestone cliffs, impressive Pont d’Arc and a number of curious caves. The Pont d'Arc Cavern Museum is not to be missed! Little ones will love seeing the animals at the Safari de Peaugres, whilst culture aficionados can enjoy guided tours of the 12th-century Château de Crussol.
Peppered with prehistoric caves, ancient châteaux and quaint villages, the Ardèche is perfect for hikers and history buffs. It’s worth remembering that the best places to stay in the Ardèche are especially popular during the summer months and school holidays, so book your trip well in advance!
The Best Places to Stay in the Ardèche
- Domaine de Chalveches is a chic spa hotel with beautiful mountain views. The ten rooms and suites are individually designed and invite couples to rest and relax — sometimes in private hot tubs (book a Premium Deluxe Lodge Suite). Come for the spoiling spa, the terrific pool and the real sense of privacy.
- Hôtel de la Villeon offers 16 romantic rooms and suites in the pretty village of Tournon-sur-Rhône. Rooms are light, airy and elegant, there are lovely gardens, and a sophisticated bar. A couples' favourite.
- Auberge du Lac is an elegant property in a gorgeous lakeside setting on the edge of the Parc Régional du Pilat. The 12 spacious guestrooms, infinity pool and vast array of outdoorsy activities make this an ideal family choice. Spend your days, kayaking, hiking, horse riding, fishing or playing golf. It's also excellent value.
- Château Clément is a 19th-century château with five rooms and three apartments, perfect for friends and families. With two swimming pools, a rejuvenating massage area and extensive parkland for little ones, this is a wonderful rural retreat for guests of all ages. Foodies will adore the cookery classes. Close to Vals-les-Bains.
- Auberge de Banne is a postcard-perfect village hotel with flower boxes and chalkboards outlining the day's specials. Relax by the pool or in 11 inviting guestrooms after tucking in to delicious regional fare at the acclaimed restaurant. For those seeking low-key charm and fabulous traditional French cooking.
- Hôtel Helvie is a food and wellness-focused hotel with a gourmet restaurant, a chic bistro and a buzzy bar. The 27 indulgent rooms and suites are clad in soothing tones. Foodies will adore the truffles, foie gras and other specialities at Le Vivarais Restaurant. Also close to the casino in Vals-les-Bains.
- Le Carre d'Alethius offers simple, contemporary rooms at reasonable prices. The big draw is Chef Olivier Samin's Michelin-starred restaurant, specialising in beautifully cooked seasonal produce from the market. Think truffle-focused winter menus, lobster in the summer, local cheeses and more.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR Gîte
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Lyon-Saint Exupéry Airport, slightly north of the Ardèche region. Alternatively, take the train from Paris — or another hub — to Montélimar, and travel to your destination by bus or car.
- The Ardèche region is great for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures ranging between 20 and 27°C in June to August. May or September are ideal for quieter trips, when the weather will be cool yet lovely. Do be aware that summers can be extremely busy.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Vals-les-Bains.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Gard, to the south.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Ardèche
Best Hotels in Ardèche
Le Carre d'Alethius Charmes-sur-Rhône, Ardèche 9 rooms from £65Value chic - Double rooms start from as little as €90 per night.Foodies - Michelin starred restaurant that should not be missedRestaurant - Chef Olivier Samin's restaurant has been awarded a Michelin star and serves innovative modern seasonal cuisine.Local markets - Browse the local markets of Charmes-sur-Rhone and pick up some regional produce.
With spacious, comfortable rooms, Le Carre d'Alethius is a stunning Michelin starred restaurant with rooms just 10km south of Valence. Its design features are contemporary as seen in the restaurant which specialises in innovative cuisine. A must for foodies with excellent value accommodation. See More
Auberge du Lac Saint Marcel Les Annonay, Ardèche 12 rooms from £74Families - Plenty of activities in the surrounding area to keep all entertained.Foodies - Modern french cuisine with stunning lake views as a backdrop.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.Views - Great views from hotel
An elegant 4 star property with gorgeous lake setting. Simple rooms are generously proportioned and decorated in natural hues. A lovely infinity pool and acclaimed restaurant serving modern French cuisine. All this plus plenty of activities in the surrounding area makes this ideal for families. See More
Hotel Helvie Vals-les-Bains 27 rooms from £86Value chic - An elegant hotel at very reasonable rates.Tennis - Courts available nearby.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.Restaurant - Recommended.
An elegant property in the charming spa resort town of Vals-les-Bains. Large rooms with floor to ceiling windows and traditional furniture. A lovely outdoor pool plus delicious regional cuisine is served in the restaurant. An abundance of activities in the area. Ideal for business or families. See More
La Ferme du Pic d'Allier Saint-Martin-sur-Lavezon, Ardèche 3 rooms from £91Charming - Romantic French style interiors, with delightful furniture and exposed stone walls in a pretty settingActive Holiday - Horseriding, cycling and hiking are the top acitivies in this areaCountry Escape - Enjoy the peaceful tranquility of being in the rural ArdecheFull of character - Some rooms have been created from a uniquely stone vaulted cellar, and the reinvented cottages remain rustic and authentic
A pretty B+B in a romantic setting close to Saint-Martin-sur-Lavezon. The farmhouse has been reimagined as a peaceful haven, with rustic bedrooms and charming cottages, with original beams and exposed stone walls. Explore the area or relax by the tranquil pool and garden. An intimate rural hideaway. See More
Auberge de Banne Banne, Ardèche 11 rooms from £117Foodies - A stunning restaurant, recognised by the Michelin Guide, serving regional cuisine.Country Escape - Situated in a quaint village within the Cévennes National Park.Great walks - Stunning walks in the surrounding National Park.Sights nearby - Visit the beautiful Banne Castle.
A glorious property in a quaint village. Excellent design mixes the old with the new. Rooms feature crisp white linens, large glass-fronted walls and luxury bathrooms. Boastings a lovely outdoor pool and an atmospheric, award winning, restaurant. The perfect French rural escape. See More
Hotel de la Villeon Tournon-sur-Rhône, Ardèche 16 rooms from £147Local exploring - A lovely and unspoilt corner of France with plenty of cultural and outdoor activities.TraditionalBoutique
A painstakingly and beautifully renovated property in the pretty village of Tournon-sur-Rhône. Large light rooms with enormous beds and elegant design. Converted stables are home to contemporary breakfast and seminar rooms. Pretty gardens. A great choice for local exploring and business meetings. See More
Chateau Clément Vals-les-Bains 5 rooms from £186Swimming Pool - Heated outdoor pool and an indoor pool in the spaCooking classes - Pierre offers Patisserie classes on site.Spa - A wide range of pampering treatmentsLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Sawdays
A beautiful, quintessentially French, period guest house welcomes you into its light and airy interiors. Bedrooms are individually furnished with a clever mix of contemporary and antique. Come for spa relaxation, chilling by the pool and great French food - enjoyed with the hosts. See More
Domaine de Chalveches FAUGERES, Ardèche 10 rooms from £193Spa breaks - A fabulous spa with cabin treatment rooms and using the completely natural Ymalia products.Country Escape - Mountain views and a host of outdoor pursuits in the surrounding area.Great walks - Wander through the surrounding vineyards.Private Hot Tub - In the suites.
Modern chic with mountain views. Contemporary rooms, each individually designed, are light and fresh with tones of the surrounding nature found in the wood panelling or exposed stone. Suites feature in room hot tubs. A completely spoiling spa and abundance of outdoor pursuits. Country bliss. See More